Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 2 of 88 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

RE: The Evader Coalition ~ T.E.C. Part 2.

i've heard good things about it, not amazing but it's pretty good aparently....

the lug
    Savage Flux 2350 Evader ST Pro EXT \'\'Detta ST E Choas, HPI E Firestrom Novus CP

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

they look pretty sweet its just such a weird RC, its kinda of "jack-of-no-trades" type of deal.
    ORIGINAL: ElectricGuy007

Im glad Duratrax is stepping up the plate and finally putting brushless in thier RTR RC's,
    I assume they are thinking durability because they are also putting metal gears in the RTR's,

I use to buy duratrax products, never had one failure except once and it was my fault the product failed.
    Not the product failing on it's own. What failed was a duratrax speed control, and that was because I plugged
    a battery up to it backwards on accident seven years ago, DONT EVER THINK ABOUT DOING THAT... haha it will let out magic smoke...
    What does everyone think about that brushless motorcycle they make? They look kinda cool I think.
    - Hobby Shop Employee
    - ModelKits.com & RcTruckStop.com Staff Writer

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well i got my warrantied parts today... Except they didnt send the top shaft. lol I called back and have the top gear on the way free of charge[8D]

The guy told me i should have told the first guy the part numbers to what i needed that way he could have sent it all. I tried to stress it to him that the first guy never asked for any part numbers (i was ready to give them to him), and just acted like he was sending a whole tranny. He just kept saying that i should have gave him the part numbers. lol

Anyways, should have it up and running again as soon as the top gear comes in. Im going on a 2 day vacation in early december, and plan on taking the evader with me to run while im there[8D]
    - Savage - MGT Pulling Truck - Losi LST2 - Brushless Blitz - RC10GT (getting a 2.5) - Brushless T4 - Sportwerks Mayhem Pro

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Guys, I've been running a Castle Sidewinder V2 5700kv system in my Vader since Summer. It's crazy powerful. I'm not stripping out my top gear anymore. But IWAS stripping them out with the STOCKPHOTON. Must've gone thru at least three. The only thing Ican figure is that back then Iwas running mostly on grass. Now as I've gotten better, gotten faster, and am running in a different area where we;ve pretty well worn most of the greenery away, we;re running on dirt.....tires spin more easily, less strain on the 'train. (but more wear on the rubber!) I've been beating the crap out of this car pretty much every day AND MY TRANNY ISSUES ARE NIL.

CUMMINSDRIVER, Isaw your video - pullin' wheelies on asphalt = tranny dammage, if done too much. No matter what car you have. These suckers are tough, but they ain't indestructable! Grass apparently also is a little harder on the drive train. DON'T GIVE UP ON THE EVADER. I was beginning to wonder myself about DTX quality, but I'm beginning to think it was mostly my bad driving and over-zealous use of the throttle in the wrong situations. Now I'm running this crazy 5700kv motor, GPS-clocked at over 40mph and no problems.

Sure, I've made upgrades and replaced parts (LOSI makes a nice ball/nut that screws on to a 3/8 4-40 hex head screw to replace those pulled-out stockers)
    But that's been part of the journey, learning about these things as they need replacing. Oh, DOGBONES, I'm hear to tell ya - they WILL wear out under BL power!
    I've been waiting months for those DTX CVDs to get back in stock!! Ialso recently TWISTEDINHALF one of my drive axles. So Ireally need those CVDs!! But like Isaid, I've been beating on this car since last Xmas, almost every day!! I'll bet no one else here can say that. And brushless LiPo since summer.

I'm glad it looks like DTX has made some well-thought upgrades to the new BL edition. I'll be getting a new metal diff when they come out. Will proabaly need it when Iput on my new PL Gladiators. I've been running the Dirt Hawg IIs and they're a good all-around truck tire, but seemed like Ineeded a little more traction in the dirt my "track" is becoming and my LHS guy lead me to the Gladiators. Yeah I've stripped a few diffs, but diff cases are cheap, and easy to fix. probably was running the slipper to tight.

Been running a 17T pinion with an 87T Associated spur. Still had so much flippin torque Ihad a hard time controling the car coming out of turns. Finally got the Castle-Link dongle so as to make use of the ESC programability. Torque Control turned out to be very useful. Dialed that back and now the car is much more controlable, and recovers more easily from getting tail-happy (which is still does if one is too impatient - one must go slow to go fast, Grasshoppah!) The gearing, with the Torque Control still give it PLENTYof torque, and the top end is still there, so, low speed control with considerable top-end, much more than you'll ever need around a course (Irarely get above half- to 3/4-throttle, but can, if Iwanna pull a wheelie!) Idid get an IRtemp sensor, and monitored my motor temps over the summer. The gearing Ihave seems to have worked pretty well over the hot California Summer. I'm gonna guess the new BL Vader, using a 24T pinion, is a little over-geared.

OH, and +1 on those EZRUN B2 Combos from HobbyPartz!! My buddy has one and I'm DYING to get my hands on one for the wife's car. Ithink it's the 35A ESC with the Blue-Finned motor - 4200kV? - or 3900? Anyway, GREAT little unit for the price and drives much easier than my admitedly over-powered 5700kv SV2.

Oh and one more thing before Isign off: You guys that'r up-grading your EXT2s with any brushless system......you'll soon be needing to replace the stock steering servo, cuz it'll be stripped out. Get one of these, if you can find them in stock: http://www.hobbypartz.com/servo-mg946r.html Cheap, strong, and center well, fast enough, hard to beat for $12.

It seems to me, the key to durability, like everything else, is up-keep. I run my car ALOT. So, about every two weeks, or if it "sounds like it needs it", I'll crack open the tranny and inspect and re-lube (THEY COME FROM THE FACTORY WOEFULLY UNDER-GREASED). Aluminum is for cans, not for gears.

Cheers,
    Rob
    Just a schmoe....

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

EXT2Rob

Do you know anyone who has used those DTX CVDs? I keep bending axles.

I have no idea how you are driving that vader with 5700KV motor. Mine with a 3200KV motor is a beast. As the old saying goes, anything will fly with a big enough motor. Seems to apply with mine.

I'd like to see how that new tranny hardware is. Hopefully they are not using pot metal and saying "metal gears".

NTR 

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: EXT2Rob

CUMMINSΒ*DRIVER,Β* IΒ*saw your video -Β* pullin' wheelies on asphalt = tranny dammage, if done too much. No matter what car you have.Β* These suckers are tough, but they ain't indestructable!Β* Grass apparently also is a little harder on the drive train.Β* DON'T GIVE UP ON THE EVADER.Β* I was beginning to wonder myself about DTX quality, but I'm beginning to think it was mostly my bad driving and over-zealous use of the throttle in the wrong situations.Β* NowΒ* I'm running this crazy 5700kv motor, GPS-clocked at over 40mph and no problems.
    Well, honestly I think it should hold up doing that. It would if it had a good steel diff gear, and a top gear from good material. I still like my evader, however I just bought a brushless T4 for a smokin price, and i may end up keeping it and selling the evader stock. Ill have to see how I like it when it comes in. The T4 was too good a deal to pass up, so Ill either part it out, keep the brushless and sell the rest of it, or sell a few things from the T4, then sell the Evader and fix up the T4 some to keep.

I figured the bones would give out after a while. Those spring pins will wear through eventually. Its not a huge deal since the bones are cheap, but i like solid pin dogbones better.
    - Savage - MGT Pulling Truck - Losi LST2 - Brushless Blitz - RC10GT (getting a 2.5) - Brushless T4 - Sportwerks Mayhem Pro

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey guys, been quite some time since I've been in the coalition thread, but some of my buddies just bought some short coarse trucks that I want to race with my ST, and was wondering which tires to go with. My LHS likes the Proline Dirt Hawg 2. What are your thoughts?
    Emaxx 3905: RX8/2250kv, Slash 4x4 BL
    Losi 8ight BL Conversion, TA TC3 BL
    Kyosho Inferno BL Conversion

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

as you know, terrain is everything. where are you running? the dirt hawgs are good on all terrains except on rocks (as in rock crawling) but are not the best on anything (with the possible exception of gravel).
    HELP! IM STUCK ON AN ESCALATOR!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Oh true. Sorry about the lack of detail. We would be in a dirt field most of the time so id assume packed dirt with areas of looser top soil. There is a local track by me but don't think id be there to often.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

On a track or hard packed dirt, some sort of pin tire is the only way to go. For all around bashing, the dirt hawg, or dirt works would be good options.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: cummins driver

On a track or hard packed dirt, some sort of pin tire is the only way to go. For all around bashing, the dirt hawg, or dirt works would be good options.
    Well it's just going to be mainly bashing in a field. I don't want track specific tires, but more of an all around tire. Guess I'll go with the recommended. Thanks for the push for a decision!!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Oh secondary question. I know Proline changed the mounting of some of their tires. Do you know if those tires will mount on the stock Evader ST wheels?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: NoTraxxisRustler

EXT2Rob

Do you know anyone who has used those DTX CVDs? I keep bending axles.

I have no idea how you are driving that vader with 5700KV motor. Mine with a 3200KV motor is a beast.As the old saying goes, anything will fly with a big enough motor. Seems to apply with mine.

I'd like to see how that new tranny hardware is. Hopefully they are not using pot metal and saying "metal gears".

NTR
    Yeah, my buddy has the CVDs on his 4600kv SV2, he really likes 'em. Ireally need 'em for my car. IHAVE worn out the pins on the ends of my dogbones.
    If it wasn't for the tweakability of the Castle system via CastleLink, my car would probably be nearly undriveable. The most important parameter being the Torque Control adjustment which limits the amount of torque. Ihave much more control at lower speeds of the power delivery now, like when coming out of corners. Still has an incredible top end.

I don't know if Proline tires will mount to the stock wheels. Since they used very little glue at the assembly plant, you probably could get them off without too much crap left on the rim. The Dirt Hawg IIs were an improvement over the stock tires, and are a better "all around" tire than the stock. They're great on really short grass, but on bare dirt, Ithink the PL Gladiators are going to hook up better.

IHAVEgone thru a number of Top Gears and Diffs in the year I've had the car. Oddly, tho, I haven't stripped a Top Gear since going brushless! Idid strip a diff gear. Ialso installed basically the same slipper setup DTX is now using in the BL version.

CUMMINS - You are probably right, if the tranny gears are of sufficient quality (and THERE'Sthe rub!) you should be able to wheelie yer brains out, but the stock evader drive train, while pretty strong, is not bullet-proof. The new tranny with the metal diff case should be a BIG improvement in the bullet-proof direction. You still might wanna drop a tooth or three on your pinion. The stock 20T is too high. (Ican't believe the BLversion comes with a 24T!! That motor will get HOT. 20T would be better)

Happy Thanksgiving, y'all!
    Rob
    Rob

Just a schmoe....

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: jrowles91

Oh secondary question. I know Proline changed the mounting of some of their tires. Do you know if those tires will mount on the stock Evader ST wheels?
    nope, doesnt look like it was changed.
    HELP! IM STUCK ON AN ESCALATOR!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

IΒ*HAVEΒ*gone thru a number of Top Gears and Diffs in the year I've had the car. Oddly, tho, I haven't stripped a Top Gear since going brushless!Β* IΒ*did strip a diff gear.Β* IΒ*also installed basically the same slipper setup DTX is now using in the BL version.

CUMMINS - You are probably right, if the tranny gears are of sufficient quality (and THERE'SΒ*the rub!) you should be able to wheelie yer brains out, but the stock evader drive train, while pretty strong, is not bullet-proof.Β* The new tranny with the metal diff case should be a BIG improvement in the bullet-proof direction.Β* You still might wanna drop a tooth or three on your pinion.Β* The stock 20T is too high. (IΒ*can't believe the BLΒ*version comes with a 24T!!Β* That motor will get HOT. 20T would be better)
    The evader driveline at the moment is a little on the weak side for me. With larger, meatier tires like you'd run for bashing, you really have to leave the slipper too loose. My stampede with a brushless never had any transmission problems at all. I twisted the slider driveshafts over time, but never a problem from the transmission even with masher 2k's on it. Thats how the evader should be, and IF they used good materials on the gears in the new brushless one, it should be like that I dont like the material the case is made from that well though. Its a cheaper looking plastic compared to the rest of the truck's plastic, however i dont think it should cause any problem for its use.

I run the stock 20t pinion on mine, and it could easily handle a taller gear IMO. I think you are used to your 5700kv? motor that you are running. Thats a big difference from the 3900kv they will have. haha It will definately be fast with that setup though

Happy thanksgiving to you too!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

i have to agree with you that the Traxxas trannies are tough as nails. i have beat mine to death, and it continues to hold up. the only flaw is when you run a plastic idler. i stripped several before buying the $8 steel one, and then i stripped that one. so, i contacted Traxxas and with their great customer support they sent me a new one free. ever since then, even with running a plastic ringed diff on a VXL system on 2s lipo, i've been problem free. pretty dang good if you ask me.

IHAVEgone thru a number of Top Gears and Diffs in the year I've had the car. Oddly, tho, I haven't stripped a Top Gear since going brushless! Idid strip a diff gear. Ialso installed basically the same slipper setup DTX is now using in the BL version.

CUMMINS - You are probably right, if the tranny gears are of sufficient quality (and THERE'Sthe rub!) you should be able to wheelie yer brains out, but the stock evader drive train, while pretty strong, is not bullet-proof. The new tranny with the metal diff case should be a BIG improvement in the bullet-proof direction. You still might wanna drop a tooth or three on your pinion. The stock 20T is too high. (Ican't believe the BLversion comes with a 24T!! That motor will get HOT. 20T would be better)
    The evader driveline at the moment is a little on the weak side for me. With larger, meatier tires like you'd run for bashing, you really have to leave the slipper too loose. My stampede with a brushless never had any transmission problems at all. I twisted the slider driveshafts over time, but never a problem from the transmission even with masher 2k's on it. Thats how the evader should be, and IF they used good materials on the gears in the new brushless one, it should be like that I dont like the material the case is made from that well though. Its a cheaper looking plastic compared to the rest of the truck's plastic, however i dont think it should cause any problem for its use.

I run the stock 20t pinion on mine, and it could easily handle a taller gear IMO. I think you are used to your 5700kv? motor that you are running. Thats a big difference from the 3900kv they will have. haha It will definately be fast with that setup though

Happy thanksgiving to you too!
    - Hobby Shop Employee
    - ModelKits.com & RcTruckStop.com Staff Writer

as far as the tire mounting goes, there is now, a "traxxas" style bead which is slightly different, but you can make it work...

check this vid out...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFkW6qcRllc

the lug
    Savage Flux 2350 Evader ST Pro EXT \'\'Detta ST E Choas, HPI E Firestrom Novus CP

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks a lot Lug. I've actually seen that video before, I'm subscribed to him lol. Those are the 2.8s though. I guess I was under the impression that the 2.2s didn't change. Anyway I order some Works. Will give an update as soon as my etc arrives.
    ORIGINAL: rclugnut10

as far as the tire mounting goes, there is now, a ''traxxas'' style bead which is slightly different, but you can make it work...

check this vid out...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFkW6qcRllc

the lug

i'm assuming the 2.2's remained the same and sounds good

the lug

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey guys, Long time reader here, been reading this thread the last 2+ weeks so much good info but so sporatically spread its all hard to find but if you search well most things you need to knwo seem to show up here or elesewhere. I havent posted on here in awhile or since i have had my Evader, I'd just like to put in my 2 cents worth and give a description of my Evader and what ive done with it incase anyone else wants to use what i have to say.

I bought my truck from my LHS where i have become friends with the owner and all the regulars that hang there, They had this EXT on the shelf for a year or more from my understanding, The owner knowing im on a major budget and in need of a decent truck told me i could have the evader on a close out sale for 75 bucks, so i bout the truck and a 3000mah Nimh 8.4v battery. The first day i got it i ran it a few times around my apt complex and i was rather impressed with it but wanted some more uuumph yet i wanted to stay brushed so i purchased a 15T AE rebuildable motor for it,, major dissappointment!! I could run faster than that motor was so i went back to the stock photon2 and went down to an 18T pinion gear and even though the top speed i wanted wasnt there it was still enjoyable. I failed to mention earlier that within thefirst or secondbattery i ran through itthe trans case screws and motor plate had come loose and stripped the spur gear so if you just bought one of these take your trans screws out and put a dab ofsome weak loctite on them NOW!!

I raced the truck the first weekend i had it up at my LHS (parking lot with wood ramps style track but so funnn!) and noticed i had almost no steering unless i hit the hooks and swung the rear end around, this is ok but i just wasnt used to running that way, iam now and i actually enjoy it. My first mod othe rthan the failed motor swap was to flip over my front a-arms to give it a longer stance, i didnt think this was going to work like it had for me in the past on other R/C's but it did!! I may have lost a tiny bit of steering circumfrence but the end result was well worth it and so far ive not broken ANY front end parts at all except the cheesy stock bumper, I found a small, what i call a bull bumper from a nito inferno buggy and it fit right into the stock holes with the original bumper attached still but the upper lip cut off.

Run run run,, Run with me (yes old doors song lol) this evader withstood a good bashing with the stock motor, i even found that it climbs and jumps off the chainlink fence in my tennis courts if i run paralell with the fence and then slowly turn into the fence it will grab the fence and shoot straight up in the air about 2-4 ft and then in most cases land back on all fours and continue on!! Hillarious!!

After alot of jumps off the wood ramps at my LHS and in most cases landing on concrete the rear chassis plate had become worn bad and my motor guard came unattached so i added some new longer screws and another motor plate so i actually have two that sandwich the rear chassis plate inbetween eachother, good idea i thought and it is except the new longer screws i used i didnt notice were hitting the motor and eventually busted the magnet inside the motor,,, so i had to go back to the AE motor i didnt like, i re geared i think with a 17t pinion and it was uesable, i ever so cleverly used some larger screws to go through the rear chassis plate and both the motor guards, now the screws sit flush to the chassis but still stuck out from the underside like fangs lol, when i took a hard enuff jump you could hear them dig in,,, after about 30 mins of thisi cracked the motor magnets AGAIN!!

So i found a used traxxas Velineon system for 50 bucks and threw that in, knowing im probably going to strip diff gears as most of you have already done but also knowing the new ones for theEvader BL are coming soon and i have 2 extra plastic ones for the meantime.
    Mind you iam still running with just Nimh batteries and so far so good after about 8 packs run through it and one stripped spur gear due to my poor job of setting the correct mesh. I wound up using a thick chunk of rubber under my motor this time to prevent any future motor problems as well as i stiffened up the rear springs some too. my over all rating on this truck is ITSBADDASS!!! all the other guys running short course up at my LHS probably think im nuts and my truck is a junker but im keeping up and i enjoy it all together!! Thanks for reading
    ANDNOW!! back to your regular programing!!

JRockZ
    JRockZ

glad you're having fun with it, i'd look into upgrading your steering servo, a tower TS 140 or something from www.hobbypartz.com is a good place to start, speed is a huge factor with these, the TS 140 is about 90oz of tq and that's plenty of this truck i've never had an issue where it wasn't... other than that, if you have the orginal EXT, i'd say look into some bearings for it, should see a bit of an increase in speed and such...

the lug

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I got my new top gear in my evader a few days ago and have been running it some.

Went to a little public track Friday and ran it some. I was very pleased with how it drove and it took the hits and bad jumps just fine with no broken parts, just needed something other than the stock tires[8D] It was sliding around quite a bit on the stock tires. There was a guy and his kids that showd up though and they had a rustler, losi XXX-SCT, and a slash out there and i was passing them, so i felt like it was doing pretty good to be stock other than the brushless. My father in law's Losi Speed T didnt fair so well. It had a couple screws fall out, broke a shock mount, and stripped 2 wheels. He wasnt too happy with it at the end of the day. lol It was kind of rough when he got it though, so it wasnt in the best of shape anyways. He did buy a new Losi Desert Truck last night on ebay for a good deal, so we will see how that does.

While i was there, i ran to the hobby shop and got a 24t pinion. This thing is a land missle now. Only have it installed for speed runs, and id say it does around 45mph just guessing. Motor and ESC are not being overworked at all still, so id like to try some even taller gearing to see how fast it'll go. Im going to Tennessee this weekend for a little vacation and ill be taking it with me so me and my father in law can run. Only thing im worried about breaking really is the tranny, but i have the slipper loose enough that it should be fine. Id say the diff gear will outlast the top gear as long as the slipper is set right. Just wish duratrax would hurry it up with the brushless parts!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I Just wish duratrax would hurry it up with the brushless parts!
    Ahhhmen!!

I also contacted Duratrax and begged for the new gear, i just emailed and i never got a reply but i did get a call from an 800 number the next day just never called it back or loked to see if it was them, im guessing NOT!

JRockZ
    JRockZ

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

im having a steering problem. The truck will not turn when ever im on the throttle, could it be the battery or something else? im also having problem with my batters getting way to HOT. Im running a duratrax 8t esc with a speedgems 9t motor. the motor and speed controller NEVER get hot only the battery.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: dragon2k2

im having a steering problem. The truck will not turn when ever im on the throttle, could it be the battery or something else? im also having problem with my batters getting way to HOT. Im running a duratrax 8t esc with a speedgems 9t motor. the motor and speed controller NEVER get hot only the battery.
    Nimh Batteries always get hot,, if yours are getting super hot like to hot to touch then something is wrong but a 9T motor will draw and suck out that charge fast so that is probably why your getting the hot batteries. As i said in an above post the eveder will not turn well when your on the throttle as it is pushing the front wheels, try moving your battery further forward IFyou can and or do as i do and set yourself up when your coming into a turn and tap the brake then use the throttle to pull you out of your slide.
    Good Luck with it!
    JRockZ

Page 2 of 88 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast