Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

The Evader Coalition ~ T.E.C. Part 2.

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 04:47 PM
DieHarder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The Evader Coalition ~ T.E.C. Part 2.

No, I was doing speed runs down our dirt road. It's a very dusty dirt road, and theres lots of loose rocks, which doesn't make sense why it would have enough traction to shear. My only thought, is that it was partly cracked earlier when it had good traction, and then when I took it up to high speed, it just gave way.

I did some figuring and dealing with the LHS, and they will give me everything
I need:
-Evader Brushless Front Bumper
-2x8 Flathead Screws (A couple of my heads stripped out while taking apart. I will cut them to 6mm. They don't have 2x6 in stock)
-2.2 All-Terrain Badlands Tires
-0.047 Music Wire (For the new drive pins)
-(2) 87T 48P RRP Spur Gear (I figured I'd buy two, so I if I strip one, it won't be the end of the day.)
-Possibly get a shock rebuild kit, but I gotta figure out if I need one.

I'll get all this for $47. That's the lowest they'll give it to me. So $47, and I have an Evader with like 3-3.5 clearance height! That's more than a crawler!
Old 05-20-2013, 04:52 PM
rclugnut10
My Feedback: (1)

Sweet deal and the extra rotational inertia of the badlands wreaks havoc on drivetrain parts you need to be careful with them... that could've done it... they are a ton of fun to drive tho, for the shock rebuild kits idk if the ext's are the same as the st's but you really only need the seals which are 1.79 per tower IF i remember right those are the only parts that really wear...
Old 05-21-2013, 10:43 AM
egbasher

Yeah. Funny those pins snapped on dirt. You could have weakend them, like you said, and if you went from full power to full braking too quickly that could do it.

As for the $47 price I'm not so sure that's a great deal. Check Tower Hobbies. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/listings/rcpsmfgs.html

I buy alot of stuff for the evaders from them. Aquick search of the stuff you're getting (minus the music wire) totalled about 38 bucks, including shipping. Check thier prices DH. Orders usually gets to you within a week.
Old 05-21-2013, 11:49 AM
EXT2Rob

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you got the stock plastic shocks?  Or the aluminum ones? 
The stockers can be fixed with some cheap o-rings.  I have the aluminum ones. No top cap, or bladder. The bottom seal the shaft goes thru IS the cap, and houses the o-ring seals. I always have a couple of them pre-built on-hand, in case one fails. Which I never thought they'd do. But I did have one actually fail on me last week. Usually I only have to replace one when I strip the plastic threads, screwing it down too tight.

The music wire will do ya just fine.  You do have the metal diff gear, yeah?

The only other thing you will wear thru quickly are the pins in the dog bones. They just wear out eventually.  I think 3/32 spring pins can be used to replace them, tho you do have to use RED Loctite or tire glue to keep them in, as they tend to wiggle out.
Old 05-21-2013, 01:23 PM
DieHarder

I have the aluminum shocks, and yes, I do have the metal diff. I haven't stripped the threads on the caps before, I just tighten them down EXTREMELY and that's that. I'm gonna do an examination tonight and see what's wrong with that shock.
Old 05-21-2013, 01:36 PM
dtxandtrx

Speaking Of the st aluminum shocks, does anybody know where I can buy
Just the shafts. I cant seem to find them for some strange reason.
Old 05-21-2013, 02:01 PM
rclugnut10

Here are the rears

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...9132&search=Go

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...1+++&search=Go

and those are the fronts tower doesn't always get all the parts in their 'wizard' so i just go to the exploded views and type in part #'s

http://www.duratrax.com/downloads/index.html

the lug
Old 05-21-2013, 05:39 PM
DieHarder

Yeah, but does he have the ST, or the EXT? The ST has two different lengths, where the EXT has all the same lengths.
Old 05-21-2013, 05:42 PM
rclugnut10

the st i assume as thats what he posted abouttt
Old 05-21-2013, 07:19 PM
dtxandtrx

Yup, I've got a st and a ext2. I have the st shocks and driveshafts on the ext2 though. And some other parts like a-arms that I've broke.
Old 05-24-2013, 08:02 AM
DieHarder

Well, I'm taking a $20 loan from dad, and giving him that and $25 to go buy $47 worth of parts for the Vadster at Cobblestone. After I get them, I'll put it all together, (Well, first I have to cut and grind the music wire pins),put a front bumper on, deal with the shocks, put a new spur on, glue some Badlands tires to some front rims, clean it up, take a picture, and go bashing! Hope I can do all this done before it gets dark tonight. The parts arrive at 5:00 p.m. (When dad gets home) I'll report back as I'm putting it together...
Old 05-24-2013, 05:18 PM
DieHarder

The stuff showed up, but I'm too lazy to put it together, plus I rather watch "ALF" on TV.
Old 05-25-2013, 05:20 AM
dtxandtrx

Great show, I watch it when I have time.
Old 05-25-2013, 06:51 AM
DieHarder

Just watched the one with the mobsters, and the car crook. I think the mobsters one was more funny, especially when ALF hits willy with the bat after he catches him in the net. Then he says "Willy! I didn't think you'd be the murderer, how could you?!" LOL
Old 05-25-2013, 05:11 PM
DieHarder

Well, like I said, I'm keeping you guys updated! I just put the pins in, regreased the transmission/diff, bolted the diff together, put the diff in the gearbox casing, and put the two halves of the gearbox together. I'm now posting at the dinner table after washing my hands, and waiting for the dessert........Oh, Ice Cream! Vanilla with hard shell! YUM!!!  Bet you guys are just drool'in! LOL [8D]
Old 05-26-2013, 06:48 AM
rclugnut10

Sweet deal i may get down in the shop today get my evader together later i'll have to get some pics up too idk if i've posted it's latest rendition (from last fall :P )
Old 05-26-2013, 08:53 AM
EXT2Rob

[RANT]
GAAAAA!!!!!! STUPID TOP SHAFT!!!! STUPID DURATRAX FOUNDRY!!!!
Does anyone hate having to work on that thing as much as I do? They're SUCH a PAIN in the *****!!!
[/RANT]
HEYDURATRAX....
Is it too much to ask that a part CENTRAL to the operation of your product, be manufactured properly to consistent and repeatable specs?? After having gone thru a couple of them because the gear teeth would break (this on the stock brushed motor!) and having to wait months for replacements, I finally got one that has lasted until now. It lasted almost two years.

But the teeth are getting sharp and I had a spare on hand, so I decided it was a good time to replace it. I got it out of of the tranny case, but then had to take the bearings off. They must make these things (the top shafts) to tollerance before they chrome them, because the bearings are a ***** to get off, and PAIN to get them on a new one. I broke about a third of one of the gear teeth just trying to get one of the bearings on!!

That was bad enough. I was already spitting nails. But then when I went to assemble the slipper and thread that 3mm nut on the end of the shaft, it wouldn't go on!! I tried and tried. No go. Then I saw the first couple threads on the shaft were now stripped. I took the nut and tried to thread it on the old shaft....no problem!! Went on like butter. I dremeled the end of the new shaft down to good threads and tried again. No go. And again, stripped threads. ***?!?

I had to give up. No way that new shaft was going to work. It's junk. I had to go thru the pain of taking off the bearings AGAIN and hoping I wouldn't destroy the bearings in the process. Luckily, I was able to.

Hey, did ya know the gear IS NOT an integral part of the shaft? I didn't. Until it started sliding off the splines of the shaft while I was trying to get the damn bearings off!! So then I thought, "Hey, I'll take the new gear off and put it on the old shaft." But of course, I couldn't get the thing off.

So I put the old one back in the tranny. ANd I wonder now: How long am I going to have to wait for a new one? Damn things always seem to be on back order. WHY? And when they DO get here, will they fit? Will I destroy the bearings? Will the damn NUT thread on?

For the LOVE of GOD, I can tear down the whole car and put it back together in a half hour. WHY IS THIS ONE PART OF THE CAR SUCH A PAIN IN THE *****, AND SUCH A PIECE OF CRAP AT THE SAME TIME????? Why can't they make the damn things with ANY kind of consistency?? It's the only part of the car that makes me want to go buy something else!!
Old 05-26-2013, 10:59 AM
DieHarder

That's hilarious! I had the same trouble! I just found out that my motor bearings are bad, and I have to pay $12.49 for a rebuild kit. Then, I had the SAME problem with the threads on the top shaft! I ended up ruining two top shafts, because the threads are all screwed up. URGGGG!!!!!!!!! I also need to purchase a shock seal rebuild kit for $3.49. Then a new Top Shaft for $4.49. Then a new nut for the top shaft which is a 3mm lock nut, and that'll cost $2.99 at Cobblestone. Comes to a total of....$24.87 where I live. So I'll be at like $75 for this tune up! Just plain ridiculous! I think I bent the top shaft too. So I'm canning it right now, and just waiting for parts to come in. I swear, this is the last tune up with this thing, and after it majorly breaks, it's becoming a shelf unit. Then I'm buying an Ofna LX2-E. I also recently got some badlands 5" OD tires for the front, and I have to glue those to the rims. URGGHHHH! Sometimes I just get sick of seeing my Evader on the workbench in pieces.
Old 05-26-2013, 11:27 AM
rclugnut10

ouchh that bites i somehow managed to collect enough parts to not have much downtime, though i hear you with shelfing it. I mainly beat on my storm or sparrowhawk xt now...
Old 05-26-2013, 04:52 PM
dtxandtrx

Sounds like the evader is dying out. As soon as I get the brushless slipper plates I'm gonna throw a xl-5 traxxas esc and motor and run it brushed, hopefully that will solve my problems for a while. Brushless kills the evader, it just can't handle it.
Old 05-26-2013, 05:15 PM
DieHarder

It can if you have the right stuff in my opinion, then it'll work. I never got my Evader to where I wanted it, and this next $25 is gonna do it! I'm gonna make it happen!

I flew my Parkzone Radian that I bought back in February toady. I set it off, climbed, stalled, and crashed. Gosh, it was an awful sight! I tried again, and crashed again. URGH!! SO,... I tried few more times, and each time I stayed longer in the air. I never successfully landed it, every time it came from the sky, it crashed. I tried to make a landing on the runway, but I over shot, and landed 25ft up in a pine tree. Dad had to get an old flagpole, stand on a ladder, and hold the flagpole high above his head, and was just able to reach it and launch it. I brought it inside for the night, and pulled all the needles from the pine tree out, sanded the scratches, glued a few pieces back in, and removed the broken parts. After I replace 3 parts worth $13, it'll literally look like new. It'll be flawless. Then, I'm going to try and get a hold of a guy at the LHS who said he'd show me how to fly it. I think it'll go better then...

Old 05-26-2013, 05:24 PM
rclugnut10

niceee i remember my first and last plane... (for now) similar stories, beat the life out of that poor thing.... I got into heli's and i was getting okay at flying them around my dorm in my school (wicked small ones like 6 in rotors)... good luck with flying and picking up a sim or even just sepnding time pushing the sticks looking at teh control surfaces and seeing how they move and getting used to teh control sets helps a ton, also if you can find a fleild with some tall grass to land in... makes things a bit easier to keep the plane in one piece...
Old 05-26-2013, 09:43 PM
EXT2Rob

ORIGINAL: dtxandtrx

Sounds like the evader is dying out. As soon as I get the brushless slipper plates I'm gonna throw a xl-5 traxxas esc and motor and run it brushed, hopefully that will solve my problems for a while. Brushless kills the evader, it just can't handle it.
Idunno...I think Igotta disagree with ya bro. True, an evader with all bone stock parts (and then we get into a discussion about which evader) may not handle big power well, but Ithink it depends on which brushless power system a guy installs, ya know? Sure, throw a big-block motor and 120A ESC on 3S LiPo and providing you can make it go in a straight line, it'll probably tear the car apart. But this EZrun 35A with the 3806 4300kv motor is perfect for the evader. Especially since they came out with the metal diff, and Ilearned about alternate materials for drive pins, I've had NO driveline problems whatsoever with a little tranny lube once a month.

My rant above notwithstanding, Ithink the car is pretty good for what ya pay for. I just wish their metal parts foundry had better quality control.

Interesting, DH, that you've had similar experience with the damn top shafts. I'm checking the new one with a nut before I leave the hobby desk.

Old 05-27-2013, 03:55 AM
dtxandtrx

I got ya, I personally have never had a big problem with the evader myself, it's just finding the parts I need without having to order them.
Old 05-27-2013, 06:08 AM
DieHarder

Cobblestone usually carries/stocks and has in stock plenty of Evader parts.

I glued my Badlands tires to Duratrax Evader Brushless Rims last night. The best glue job I've ever done! Looks pretty good, compare to the last set. Then when I woke up this morning, I walked over, and put the bearings and spacers in the rims, and bolted them on. Took a few tries to get the bearings to fall in place. I have the nut 1/4 turn out from tight so it'll spin nicely. I just hope the lock part on those old nuts holds, or I'm gonna loose a tire/rim AND those expensive bearings (Which I'll probably never find) all over the track. Fingers crossed! 

I can't really do anymore with my Evader until I get parts. Maybe I'll be lucky, and the guy down the road will let me work today, even though it's Memorial Day. I'm currently BROKE and owe dad $22. Urg!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.