Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

The Evader Coalition ~ T.E.C. Part 2.

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 01:40 PM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: The Evader Coalition ~ T.E.C. Part 2.

Yesterday was too hot to do anything but get the hell outta Dodge.  Put the kayak on the Subaru an beat-feet to the mountains to a lake at 8000ft, where the temperature is much more pleasant. Didn't get home till almost 8pm and it was STILL 95!  Must've been 105 while we were gone.  The ol' swamp-cooler doesn't stand a chance when it's over 100. So we just leave.

Today is better, but still too hot to do anything this time of day.  Track is too dusty.  Our water bill too high.  So I've been doing track maint. when it's shady and cool enough. Still uses water, tho.  You guys complain about Winter weather cutting into your drive time, out here, Summer is more of a PITA.  It's too hot, the track is too dry and it's hard to keep it wet enough for decent traction and dust-free driving.  And rain doesn't come often enough.

Keep the IR Temp gun handy, and watch your motor temps!
Old 06-09-2013, 02:41 PM
cumquat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i'm glad we dont have a water bill. we have REAL mineral water on tap here! all the calcium and iron you could ever want!
Old 06-09-2013, 02:54 PM
DieHarder

We have our own well here, but it's full of minerals coming out of the ground like that, so we use a water softener and treatment system take both the tannins and the minerals out. Works great! I Stripped my spur today, but luckily I was prepared and have another one to put on when I feel like it. I impressed a few neighbors with wheelies, beat a neighbor on his quad on a race down the street that he challenged me to. (That's when I stripped the spur, it barely made it home.) I beat him at acceleration, but once we both got up to speed, it was neck and neck, then my spur gave out when I ran out of range just as I was pulling into the lead. I beat him, if you call the "end" of the race when my spur gave way. It hit about 82 deg. here. Not that bad, but I do know that with the speed runs I did, my motor temps got up high. I gotta watch it, because I don't have an IR Temp Gun. I need to get one soon, probably from Harbor Freight or something. I also got permission from a neighbor to fly my Radian in his grassy field, so I can land anywhere, and learn to fly, unlike the blueberry field...

Old 06-09-2013, 03:00 PM
cumquat

our softener broke years ago and we never got around to fixing it.
Old 06-09-2013, 03:00 PM
dtxandtrx

Well, I just cleaned all the a-arms for my evader, stampede, and t-maxx with the awesome. And I'll tell you guys, besides the scratches, this stuff is working great. The parts are nearly brand new! They sure do look like it! At 2.49 for a quart, I have a feeling I will be buying more of this "RC" cleaner lol!
Old 06-09-2013, 04:18 PM
DieHarder

Cool! Where did buy it? I never heard of the stuff. You should test it against simple green. Like do half a dirty a-arm with "Awesome", and the other half with "Simple Green", then see which side appears cleaner.

cumquat: Does anything at your house operate? Seems like your always breaking stuff, or telling about what's broken... LOL

Old 06-09-2013, 04:26 PM
dtxandtrx

I bought it at a local dollar store. And once I get some simple green ill do a side by side test. Hopefully this stuff will stand up to dirt and the nitro grime. Even if it gets dirty Im pretty sure it be easy to clean right off.
Old 06-09-2013, 04:39 PM
DieHarder

Glad you found something that'll work! I'll have to stay with simple green, as I have a large stock of the stuff...

Old 06-09-2013, 04:56 PM
cumquat

ORIGINAL: DieHarder

Cool! Where did buy it? I never heard of the stuff. You should test it against simple green. Like do half a dirty a-arm with ''Awesome'', and the other half with ''Simple Green'', then see which side appears cleaner.

cumquat: Does anything at your house operate? Seems like your always breaking stuff, or telling about what's broken... LOL

if i list anything it'll break!
Old 06-11-2013, 05:06 AM
DieHarder

LOL. It's kinda misty/foggy outside here, hoping the mist/fog will leave and the wind will stay calm so I can fly the sailplane. (Though I think it's wind that blows mist/fog away...)
Old 06-11-2013, 06:17 AM
dtxandtrx

Sounds good! Maybe ill chars up my planes and see if I can get those going! Since none of my trucks run haha.
Old 06-11-2013, 12:13 PM
DieHarder

Ran my Evader today. It ran amazingly! Nothing broke, it sounded good (Other than the stupid pinion), and was Smooth as Heaven. (Opposite would be "Rough as Hell") I ran a whole pack through it. I let the pack rest for an hour, and now I'm charging it again,...

The problem with the pinion, is I over tightened the set screw, and it cracked the side wall. It's off balance, and you can hear it at slow operation. Any speed about 7-8 mph, or higher, you can't hear it. It's a 23T, and that seems to be a good combo for my 87T spur and 550 motor. Next time I'm at Cobblestone, I'll have to pick one up... But it runs for now, and that's what's most important.

Old 06-11-2013, 01:01 PM
rclugnut10

So i still haven't driven tho i've moved over to my dads, saves 15 min on my comute to work since i got transfered so i haven't been around not that the weathers been cooperative here at all... My dad has some planes he inherited last summer that i may start working on tho see if i can get them up in the air...
Old 06-13-2013, 07:25 AM
DieHarder

I went down to the neighbors field, and flew the Radian. It went pretty good, considering the good parts. As for the bad, it's kinda BAD, but in the end, it came out pretty dang good, for my experience. I got down, there, and flew hooked everything up, and launched it. It flew for about 2 minutes of decent, and then had an ok landing. I did it again, and again, had a little worse landing. The nose would dive at the last second. I realized then that I had to pull up the entire time during the landing. Then I had 2 GREAT landings that were perfect! Then I launched it again, and didn't pull up in time, and stalled, then landed in the top of a 35ft tree. I thought I'd never get it down. So I went and told my neighbor what happened, and he told me where the ladder was, and we could drive out there in the truck with the ladder, and try to get it. So I loaded the ladder in the truck by myself, because he's 84 yrs old, and can't lift stuff that heavy. Then We drove out there, put the ladder on the tree, extended it as high as it would go, which was about 15ft, then I climbed up, got on a branch, and continued climbing about 20ft into the tree. Total, I was about 35-40ft up in the tree. The highest I've ever been in a tree before. I was only 6 inches away from the nose, and then I had to go up another branch. By then the tree started swaying. I grabbed the fuselage, and tossed it away like a paper airplane. Then climbed down. Before I climbed down though, I took 2 pictures. You can see the white truck in the second one. The first one doesn't seem very high at first, but since I was in the same place as the second one, it makes the first one look about right. So View the second one first. They're below. Then I flew it a bit more, and made my way back to the house, glided under the power lines, and made 2 BEAUTIFUL landings. So 4 perfect landings in all! He let me store my plane in his barn in the back so it wouldn't get crushed. He has some crazy grand kids, so I kinda hid it, and took the transmitter and the battery home just to make sure. He says I can come by anytime and fly it.

On my way home, I stopped at another neighbors house. He's that carpenter who said he'd call me to do some work months ago. He took me back to his garage, and showed me what he had. He wants me to stack about 3 cords of firewood, help him move insulation in his attic (Cause he can't fit up there), and put some left over boards up there. He says he'll top the other neighbor I've been working for for 2 years who pays me $7 and hour, by paying me $7.50 an hour. Minimal wage! YES Finally!! From there I rode home... Had a great time flying the plane, and hopefully if it isn't too windy tomorrow morning, or tonight, I'll go try and fly it some more... What a great learning experience...

EDIT: Maybe there won't be any... It says internal sever error. I'll try uploading through my iPod.EDIT THROUGH IPOD: Sorry guys, looks like you'll have to settle without pictures....
Old 06-13-2013, 08:43 AM
dtxandtrx

Wow, sounds like you had a heck of a day!!! As for me, yesterday I flew my parkzone stryker and it went pretty good until the landing. As I banked I cut the throttle and let it glide down. Coming in a but to hot for my liking I still thought it would be fine. I landed safely in our street about 70 yards away and little did I know a car was headed down the street I landed. Panicking I sprinted down the street and luckly the car had stopped and waited for me to grab my plane. Embarrassed I grabbed my plane and headed back towards my house waving at the person who kindly stopped, they gave me a weird face....today I'm just putting my evader back together. I have a question, is there a brace that goes between the front two a-arms? I looked and couldn't find one. There is a pretty big gap from the bulkhead to the end of the pins. Seems like there should be but I don't really know.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:24 AM
DieHarder

Well, I didn't have that kind of embarrassment... Yes, there is a brace. This is what it looks like. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXHEG1&P=7 There is a plastic one, but I couldn't find it... :/ Maybe you'll have better luck. BUT, if you have the Evader BL front bumper, there are two slots in the bumper that go over the pins. Then the bumper acts as the brace.... I'm taking this knowledge from the ST, not the EXT, so it may be different. But as far as I know, that's right.
ORIGINAL: dtxandtrx

Wow, sounds like you had a heck of a day!!! As for me, yesterday I flew my parkzone stryker and it went pretty good until the landing. As I banked I cut the throttle and let it glide down. Coming in a but to hot for my liking I still thought it would be fine. I landed safely in our street about 70 yards away and little did I know a car was headed down the street I landed. Panicking I sprinted down the street and luckly the car had stopped and waited for me to grab my plane. Embarrassed I grabbed my plane and headed back towards my house waving at the person who kindly stopped, they gave me a weird face....today I'm just putting my evader back together. I have a question, is there a brace that goes between the front two a-arms? I looked and couldn't find one. There is a pretty big gap from the bulkhead to the end of the pins. Seems like there should be but I don't really know.
Old 06-13-2013, 12:06 PM
EXT2Rob

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hey DTXandDTX!  Besides the bulkhead piece that connects to the front of the chassis tub and that the a-arms connect to, the only "brace" is that simple straight piece the connects the forward-facing ends of the a-arm hinge pins. "Front Hinge-pin Brace" DTXC6809.  (Unless you've installed the new BL Evader front bumper, which takes the place of that brace.)
Old 06-13-2013, 12:35 PM
dtxandtrx

Thanks guys! I found the brace though. It was somehow stuck in my front wheel. Figured that out when I went to run it. Now I'm missing the e-clips! Always losing those things. I think I'm going to convert it to a screw pin, like on a rustler or stampede. First I just have To figure out how.
Old 06-13-2013, 12:50 PM
DieHarder

Correction, "DTXand TRX: Not "DTXandDTX". LOL
ORIGINAL: EXT2Rob

hey DTXandDTX!
Old 06-15-2013, 06:22 PM
DieHarder

What's everyone doing this weekend? I'm up at the cabin on the lake. I did some kayaking, fishing, off-roading, fixing, and RCing. I kayaked over to a long-time family friend's house. We've been buddies for a long time... I tried to catch a bass, but no luck. My buddy caught 2 though, but they weren't legal size to keep. (Not that we wanted to skin them out anyway,... ) One was an 8", the other like a 6". I drove Grandpa around on some back trails in the new Polaris Ranger that he bought. It's a 500 midsize EFI. Great machine! But he talks a bit much about it... . I helped Grandpa fix a couple of straps on the Pontoon. That was fun... and I ran my Evader around the lake this morning. Everyone is friends up here, and everyone knows what everyone else is doing. While Grandpa chatted with neighbors, I ran the Evader around throwing stones, lighting the tires, pullin wheelies, and impressing neighbors. Apparently nobody has seen an RC with that much power before... Was fun impressing them though.
Old 06-15-2013, 06:39 PM
dtxandtrx

Sounds exactly what I'll be doing In about a week now. Driving rc cars around impressing everyone. Riding quads in the trails and driving the pontoon around the lake. Where is your place diehard? We have a cottage on Big Star Lake. It's so much fun and every June we have a family reunion with all my cousins and extended family. They all bring their campers and stay for about a week. Hopefully I don't break any parts because there isn't a hobby shop unless I want to drive for about an hour to get there lol.
Old 06-17-2013, 08:12 AM
DieHarder

Our cottage is up by Leroy, MI. It's called "Wells Lake". There's a trail around the lake that everyone on the lake, in the morning walks around. It's like the neighbor chat time of the day. Really weird in my opinion... But I go anyway.

Old 06-17-2013, 05:14 PM
dtxandtrx

Sounds nice! I've been pretty busy now that I have a job at a local hobby shop. If someone brings a truck in to be fixed. They give it to me and I have to figure it out. Pretty fun and I've been learning a lot of new information about alot of trucks. Just to brag a little.
Old 06-18-2013, 07:45 AM
DieHarder

Which LHS is that?
Old 06-18-2013, 06:40 PM
DieHarder

Gosh,.... I got my plane stuck about 40' in a tree yesterday, in a cedar tree. I got the extension ladder out, and looked back to see how much further I had to reach. I literally needed another extension ladder on top of that. So I went home, and told dad. He gave me a piece of random cast iron and I tied it to the end of a 50' rope. Then I got down to the tree, and tried throwing the rope over the tail of the plane....didn't work. So I went home again, and dad and I got the pickup truck, put an old flagpole that fell down a while ago, in the back, and drove down there. As we pulled in, we talked to the Mrs. who just got home along with the Mr. and she said that the Mr. went looking for his extension ladder and was wondering why his doors were open. So as we drove back to the tree, the Mr. pulled up behind us like we were trespassers because he didn't recognize our truck. Then I put the flagpole together and dad climbed to the top of the extension ladder and pushed it with the flagpole. He was just able to reach it! Then it fell about 5', he hit it again, and it fell down another 5'. It continued to fall 5' at a time all the way to the bottom. The plane came away, unscathed! We packed up the flagpole, and the ladder, and dad and the neighbor talked, while I flew it some more. I had 5 more good landings, then I crashed it into a tree about 15' up. Got that down pretty easily. Then, I flew it back home, put the ladder away, and took my plane to my room. I have been fixing it up for the past 3 hours. Looks pretty good. I'm now just waiting for the glue to dry on the one wing. I took Gorilla Glue and filled in the chipped off spots on the leading edge. Now I'm waiting for it to dry, and then I'll sand it down nice, and put it all together. Dad saved my plane! I give all credit of having my plane back to dad.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.