Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

The Evader Coalition ~ T.E.C. Part 2.

Old 02-13-2014, 08:42 PM
egbasher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks cold DH. Too bad that little stream doesn't freeze. Be a great place for some ice drag races.
Old 02-14-2014, 05:55 AM
jclay413

Here is the stock esc at tower hobbies. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXAMN7

You referenced 7.4v which I assume would be a lipo battery and you should not hook that up to that stock esc. I used to run, on occasion, a 7cell nimh battery and that seemed to handle fine untill i started upgrading
Old 02-14-2014, 07:05 AM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Theoretically, you could use a 2S Lipo on the stock setup, you'd just need a LVC alarm, so that you don't run the lipo too low and kill it. I might actually go that route, instead of investing in 7-cell NiMhs. Cuz you're gonna want to upgrade to brushless eventually anyway. Buy a 2S lipo or two and an LVC alarm. BE SURE TO CHANGE OUT THE STOCK BATTERY CONNECTORS. Change everything to Traxxas connectors. The crappy Molex connector will NOT hold up to Lipo or 7-cell Nimh, and will melt. Trust me.
Old 02-14-2014, 07:44 AM
jclay413

Oh I just realized I completely answered DudaDude's question wrong but the question should be: whats the lowest discharge the esc can handle? The esc can and will only draw in what it needs. The C rating is the maximum safe continuous discharge rate of the pack. So if you have a 7.4v 3000mah -10C pack: 3000milliamps=3 amps and 3amps x 10C=30 amps continuous discharge. If the esc starts to draw more than 30 amps from the battery the battery would probably start to warm up or get damaged. So the higher the discharge the happier the esc will be. I cant find any information on what the sprint esc can pull from the battery but i think that it can handle as low as a 25C battery maybe even lower

Last edited by jclay413; 02-14-2014 at 07:47 AM.
Old 02-15-2014, 06:44 PM
DieHarder

I bought a bulkhead at Cobblestone today. The old one had every hole stripped out, so it wasn't worth trying to re-tap each one. I saw lots of people in there, but it seems that the way they were looking around and pointing at big expensive things saying they wanted them, yet there was something cheaper and BETTER right next to it, showed that they weren't very knowledgeable on RCs. Though they tried to look knowledgeable and cool, I felt cooler knowing what they didn't...
Old 02-16-2014, 08:51 AM
cumquat

i hate it when i know more than the employees. then again it is hobby town.
Old 02-16-2014, 07:31 PM
DieHarder

Yeah, it's a bit like that at Cobblestone. I asked this guy if they had any sensor cables for sensored brushless motors, and he looked at me like I was screwed up. He stood like that for about 5 seconds, and then took me over to the servo extensions. I had to ask Bob (The owner) before I got anywhere. That's when he told me that they never have and currently don't carry any sensored motors or cables. COME ON!?!? What LHS doesn't have sensor cables! I had to order online and wait instead....

I think the worst incident was when I got in an argument with Bob on the phone about the VXL3S ESC being able to handle brushed motors. He insisted that they didn't support brushed motors, but I was standing there with the phone in my hand, reading the section in the manual about 'How to run a brushed motor with your VXL3S'. He wouldn't go pull a manual from the case because he was so sure he was right. Either that or he didn't want to admit he was wrong. I never did prove it to him...
Old 02-17-2014, 08:00 AM
cumquat

i plan to win $316 million in the lottery (after taxes) and when i do, i'm going to build a massive hobby center. when it comes to hiring employees for each section, i wont care about formal education or work experience. in stead, i'll hire anyone who knows the dang products! i dont care if you have a master's in business, you dont know the difference between 32p and 48p so no job!
Old 02-18-2014, 08:18 AM
DieHarder

I know the difference! Would you hire me in 5 years?
Old 02-22-2014, 11:07 AM
cumquat

hell, you'll be my first employee! minimum work age is 12! i'd hire dtxandtrx too.
Old 02-24-2014, 04:38 PM
DieHarder

That made my day.
Old 02-24-2014, 04:58 PM
cumquat

now to buy that winning lotto ticket...
Old 02-26-2014, 03:10 PM
DieHarder

Looking at either putting a metal spur on my Evader along with a waterproof receiver box OR buying a new fuselage and getting a start on fixing my crashed up Radian OR finishing building up my micro SCT and getting that on it's way. Errr... wait a sec. I've actually got about $20. I guess I could build up my micro SCT some more. That would be nice to have running.
Old 03-01-2014, 06:53 AM
DieHarder

Is that enough rain out there Rob and EGB? I was watching the news last night about the landslides and stuff. Then how it rained like heck causing flooding. Did you guys get any of that?
Old 03-01-2014, 07:41 AM
EXT2Rob

hell, I'm out DANCING in it!! It's GLORIOUS. No, no mudslides around here. Yet. I suspect the biggest problem in that regard is going to be further south of us, down near Yosemite, where that HUMONGUS fire burned last summer. Now we're just waiting for a little break, so we can go out and race! Not going to be able to water the track when it quits raining and we get into the dry season. (Dry SEASON, ha!) THe rain helps, but it certainly isn't going to "stop the drought". California needs to start investing in solar water desalinization, instead of using Roman Era technology building canals. Funny thing is, our Governor, who was Governor the first time back about 30 years ago, used to be called "moonbeam" for his forward-thinking ideas. Now, he's just another lame-brain, beholden to all the lobbyists and big industry like every other stinking politician.
Old 03-01-2014, 07:59 AM
egbasher

No floods around here, but lots of rain yesterday. Floods are mostly in SoCal. Lots of fires that leave areas prone to mudslides. Seems to happen each year. Kinda weird that we have floods during a drought. Someone actually spotted a tornado up here! Tornadoes never used to happen out here. Recently they seem fairly frequent. But we're not changing our climate. A couple of days of drying and Rob's track should be in stellar condition for some racing.
Old 03-02-2014, 06:20 PM
DieHarder

MORE snow showed up last night. We've had over 140" of snow here! It's insane. The banks are giant, the ice is slippery, and the wind is WAY too bitterly cold. I can post more pics, but didn't know if anybody wanted to see any. I haven't done much on the Evader. (I know, it takes me all winter to disassemble, clean, and reassemble my Evader. It makes my workbench cluttered, making me look busy all winter long. Here are some earlier shots of comparison and all the clean parts. The pic with dirt on the countertop is from where I tapped a dried muddy wheel sideways on the surface and ALL that dirt fell out.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8728.JPG
Views:	80
Size:	1.04 MB
ID:	1974196   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8732.JPG
Views:	86
Size:	1.22 MB
ID:	1974197   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8734.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	2.00 MB
ID:	1974198  
Old 03-09-2014, 11:57 AM
DieHarder

I installed the motor with an old plastic spur, found a few new drive pins, and attached the front bumper. Now I'm in a bad mood after dad told me to shelf the Evader and get something the next level up. Something more durable.... Not sure what to think now.
Old 03-09-2014, 12:23 PM
cumquat

did he offer to pay or was he just telling you to stop wasting your money? if he's paying, i think it's time for a lst xxl2 gasser!
Old 03-10-2014, 07:57 AM
DieHarder

No offer to pay. It's just that I've spent $1000+ on it in parts, batteries, spurs, tires/wheels, etc. to keep it running for the past 6 years. That includes those sucky brushed motors that always blew up... If I go the next step up, I would probably go to the Ofna Buggy 8 or LX2E. Not that interested in MTs, but I do want a 1:8 eventually. I have like two more vehicles on my list to get, and those are a scale crawler and a 4x4 1:8 buggy. Sometime in college dad and I are going to invest together in a large dual motor catamaran, but there is no concern right now for something that far off.
Old 03-10-2014, 10:23 AM
EXT2Rob

Nature of the hobby, isn't it? To spend money. Nothing lasts forever. Had lots and lots of fun with my Evader(s). But once I got them upgraded to the point where nothing hardly ever broke, stuff would wear out, but not break, it was "done". As in "complete". I still have fun with it. But I got the hankerin' for a 4wd something. I like our Ofna/HoBao truggies. Yes, we've broken a number of suspension arms. They seem to be a "sacrificial part". BUT, now that we've put decent front & rear bumpers on them (T-Bone Racing) we think that'll prevent the breakage we've been having. Mind you, the Hyper TT is a smallish 10th scale. The larger LX2E would be much tougher I'd think. Nitrohouse has (er, had, now on backorder) the LX2E "kit" (roller?) for $199. And they process & ship quickly.
Old 03-12-2014, 06:22 AM
DieHarder

Getting the kit was a thought, but I figured that it was a better deal to get all of the 1:8 electronics for an extra $150. Otherwise I would have to either strap my Velineon BL system in there, or buy all new 1:8 ESC/motor. I know where to get good servos cheap, along with an $8 receiver, but getting the ESC/motor with the RTR seemed like a better deal. IDK, maybe it isn't. But it's too late now. I bought a phone, so now running low on cash. I'll be working today for my usual employer who recently developed a foot infection and has spent in all 6 days in on a hospital bed. He's 76 and has Leukemia, so he is subject to infections and viruses because he has no immune system. I have to go down there and shovel some slush off his driveway, take his trash cans and recycling down to the road, and sweep out the garage a bit. The thing is, is that I have to ride my bike down there in this slush and light dusting of snow that we had last night. I swear that I am either buying or making studded tires for my bike next year.) I've already fallen on the ice twice from riding in these conditions....

Last night I topped off the Evader shocks, found a new spacer washer thingy to put behind the wheel pin after I lost one, finished assembling the servo covers/upper deck (though there is no servo in there yet), put the front wheels on with some extra special washers that allow me to crank down the wheel nuts as tight as I can with my little Duratrax star wrench without seizing the wheel (after a full tightening, the wheels both still spin for about 1 or more with a flick of the hand), put the back wheels on nice and tight with some new locknuts (those spin like a charm too without the dog bones hooked up), and hung it up on the two fishing line strings that attach near the ceiling. Hanging it up from the A-arms helps keep flat spots from developing on the tires. I have it in a cool action shot, like it's taking a tight turn and swinging the back end around.
Old 03-12-2014, 06:58 AM
cumquat

dont you guys have snowmobiles? maybe ask your mom or dad to let you borrow one if you buy the gas. it'll make the trip quicker and safer.
Old 03-13-2014, 07:16 PM
DieHarder

Yeah, we do. Both were in the shop waiting for some attention most of the winter. Just a few weeks ago we finally got around to working on them and getting them going. I did ride down there and back a couple of times on it, but after the road melted down to dry dirt in front of out house and a couple other spots, dad didn't want me running it on 30-40% dirt. Later that week after the discussion, we put the sleds in the trailer till we get some more snow. Also to keep them out of the bits of rain and melting slush that would sit in the track when parked outside. (We believe in the 'store everything valuable inside and don't leaving anything important outside, or it will turn to crap' rule. So yeah, basically the road half-melted leaving no true trail of snow to get down there.
Old 03-20-2014, 03:42 AM
hugemika79

Hey DH, I just got a rc8.2e factory team. They say its one tough buggy. I only had 3 packs through mine so i cant say how durable it is but i know its a lot of fun.1/8 scale buggys are super popular and so they have great aftermarket and factory support. Im hoping this one will run without too much drama. Iknow what you mean about spending on the hobby. but thats how it goes. I like the sound of a scale 4x4 or crawler also. Both good ways to stay in the hobby and keep it interesting. I still love my evader though. IMO 1/10 stadium trucks are the best 2wd fun to be had.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.