Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

The Evader Coalition ~ T.E.C. Part 2.

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2013, 08:50 AM
egbasher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad your chassis is sound. Yeah, I hate trying to get the steering/servo-saver system working properly. I can be such a pain. Your workbench reminds me of mine: parts and tools everywhere! You ever notice that the tool you need right now is always the one you can't find?
Old 09-08-2013, 11:59 PM
monsterbombs

I've been toying with the idea of getting my buggy going again but the parts are expensive and
hard to come by.Sucks massively.It's sitting here with the 7700kv motor and a new 2s 5000mah
lipo begging to be played with.Might try and get the nitro one going.We gotta keep these things
running.Personally i think the metal diff gear is overkill.Still cool to have though.
Old 09-09-2013, 01:16 PM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How do you figure it's overkill, MB? (You are talking about the Evader metal diff gear, yeah?) I run a 35A HW system with a 380 finned-out motor. Certainly not the most powerful motor system ever put on an Evader. Yet, I kept striping teeth off that plastic diff gear. Swapping in the Evader BL diff gear fixed that issue permanently. What IS overkill is the crazy-big motor systems people put on this car, then wonder why stuff breaks. I call it the "V8-in-a-Pinto" syndrome.
Old 09-09-2013, 07:31 PM
cumquat

i ran the ezrun 60 4000kv combo with the true 540 and ran it with 2s frequently on pavement pulling wheelies and didnt strip the diff until the idler got too worn. some people find the need, others dont.
Old 09-10-2013, 12:52 AM
monsterbombs

Originally Posted by EXT2Rob
How do you figure it's overkill, MB? (You are talking about the Evader metal diff gear, yeah?) I run a 35A HW system with a 380 finned-out motor. Certainly not the most powerful motor system ever put on an Evader. Yet, I kept striping teeth off that plastic diff gear. Swapping in the Evader BL diff gear fixed that issue permanently. What IS overkill is the crazy-big motor systems people put on this car, then wonder why stuff breaks. I call it the "V8-in-a-Pinto" syndrome.
Not sure what you are talking about.....

It's overkill because you don't need it.If people took the time to learn how to set up and drive their trucks, there
would be half the reported breakages that everyone has.Not just with evaders.How you managed to strip
your diff gear with that combo is beyond me.

I read all the time about people stripping gears on the short course forum when they're out racing.Nearly every
time if not all the time it is how the truck is setup,driven and maintained.Lock your slipper up and go flat out over
a jump WOT,when you hit the ground something will give.Some people just don't get this.

Anyway just thought I'd mention my buggy has no drive shafts and the only things available are the c.v's. on ebay.
I was running customized traxxas sliders,which were good for a while but after 2 years of sitting around
became brittle and broke.Looks like i'm making some custom dogbones out of ones from my junk box.
The c.v's are 30 bucks and i tend to flog them out pretty quick.

The buggy is running the "exb" (gear diff) rear end.Does anyone know of anything else i can use that will fit?

Cheers.

MB
Old 09-10-2013, 07:18 AM
DieHarder

What?!?! You run a 380?!?! I'm running a 550 in my Evader! I guess I'm the type of person who "puts crazy-big motor systems on this car, and then wonders why stuff breaks..." Ok, maybe I don't "wonder" why stuff breaks, because usually I know why, I mean, I haven't broken anything in months, yet I've ran it like hell.

I fully assembled the 'Vadster and did a complete adjustment on everything. As for ground clearance, I had it set to 2.528" in the rear and 2.287" in the front. Now, after full adjustment, it's 1.707" in the rear and 1.924" in the front. Quite a change. Now the front end is higher (Less weight) and the rear is lower. I dropped it like 0.4"-0.85" depending on front or back. This is supposed to be correct, according to the manual. Maybe not exact, but pretty close. I also got the all the cambers set, and the body cleaned up. I think I'm going to wax the body before I take pictures...
I run a 35A HW system with a 380 finned-out motor. Certainly not the most powerful motor system ever put on an Evader. Yet, I kept striping teeth off that plastic diff gear. Swapping in the Evader BL diff gear fixed that issue permanently. What IS overkill is the crazy-big motor systems people put on this car, then wonder why stuff breaks. I call it the "V8-in-a-Pinto" syndrome.
Old 09-10-2013, 10:00 AM
cumquat

i completely missed the pinto part, so
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWE3Tz8WMC0
Old 09-10-2013, 02:16 PM
EXT2Rob

THAT was a hoot, Cumquat! Criminey! Search "V8 Pinto" on You Tube and you find all kinds of crazy.

Sorry MB, sometimes com pooters not so gud 4 cumuni kating. I hear ya about proper setup of slipper and such. That is important.

DH, you're running a 550?? Yeah, that's V8 Pinto territory on 3S. That sucker could probably climb a tree on 2S! Rob likes to go for fast and reliable. I've gotten these machines to where I rarely break anything, and all I have to do to them is routine maintenance. Yet they're plenty fast for my off road driving. Rarely do I even get to full throttle on the trigger.

MB got me to thinking......anyone ever have the slipper adjusting nut tighten itself?? Most of the time, I find my slipper nut tighter than when I set it.

Last edited by EXT2Rob; 09-10-2013 at 02:18 PM. Reason: additional comment
Old 09-10-2013, 03:30 PM
rclugnut10

Hey guys so i guess when the forum updated i stopped getting subcriptions... Anyways poked back in and i'm getting them now. I've been driving my evader(s) a bit more regularly. My pro is currently waiting on parts for an ext transmission. That'll soon be setup as it was. In the mean time I picked up an ext convereted to an SC truck and have been enjoying that. I'm running a 2 or 3s (the 3s is just a 1300mah 20c i picked up for my vendetta) though a sidewinder powering an OLD 20t stinger. This has been a lot of fun to drive and hasnt' given me any issues with the transmission (ST spec with a B2 gear).
Old 09-10-2013, 04:52 PM
DieHarder

Yep! Also, just to make you scream anymore,.. I run with a locked slipper! If anyone is putting the Evader BL diff to the test it's me. I run full throttle all around. I haven't broken or stripped anything in like 2-3 months, and that's running weekly. (At least) I do speed runnin', hill jumpin', chassis slammin', true bashing! If I can't run hard, I don't run at all. (With the exception of a freshly cleaned car, and greased tranny that needs break-in.) The main reason that I haven't broke anything, is that I don't crash. Not to brag, but some people can drive and other just can't! I have a gift.... LOL I should be more modest!... But really, I haven't crashed in months... Also, yes, I can do 45-50mph on 2S with 87/23 gearing. It can climb trees, but that is IMO crashing, so I haven't done it lately. I have the capabilities to run 3S, I tried it. I broke everything, and even with a wheelie bar, you couldn't keep the thing from capsizing on half throttle... Crazy stuff...

DH, you're running a 550?? Yeah, that's V8 Pinto territory on 3S. That sucker could probably climb a tree on 2S! Rob likes to go for fast and reliable. I've gotten these machines to where I rarely break anything, and all I have to do to them is routine maintenance. Yet they're plenty fast for my off road driving. Rarely do I even get to full throttle on the trigger.

MB got me to thinking......anyone ever have the slipper adjusting nut tighten itself?? Most of the time, I find my slipper nut tighter than when I set it.
Old 09-10-2013, 04:58 PM
rclugnut10

Originally Posted by DieHarder
Yep! Also, just to make you scream anymore,.. I run with a locked slipper! If anyone is putting the Evader BL diff to the test it's me. I run full throttle all around. I haven't broken or stripped anything in like 2-3 months, and that's running weekly. (At least) I do speed runnin', hill jumpin', chassis slammin', true bashing! If I can't run hard, I don't run at all. (With the exception of a freshly cleaned car, and greased tranny that needs break-in.) The main reason that I haven't broke anything, is that I don't crash. Not to brag, but some people can drive and other just can't! I have a gift.... LOL I should be more modest!... But really, I haven't crashed in months... Also, yes, I can do 45-50mph on 2S with 87/23 gearing. It can climb trees, but that is IMO crashing, so I haven't done it lately. I have the capabilities to run 3S, I tried it. I broke everything, and even with a wheelie bar, you couldn't keep the thing from capsizing on half throttle... Crazy stuff...

I've been hanging aorund URC a bit and the guys over there have been having issues with the screws that hold the diff together loosening up and allowing the spider gears to work their way apart and then strip. But thats awesome that you're haveing such good luck with that. I just need some bearings and an idler (for the evader have $80 worth of parts sitting in my tower cart right now :/) and i'll be testing your indestructibility theory
Old 09-11-2013, 08:07 AM
DieHarder

I did have the issue with the screws coming out once, but I got to it before the spider gears stripped. I just reefed them down until the heads stripped. I did have to get it open once, so I used a dremel, and carefully cut grooves in the heads, so I could use a flathead. Since I bought the diff, and it didn't have screws, outdrives, or shims, I had to buy the screws separately, and they came as allen heads instead of Phillips. The groove and using a flathead works much better than the allens. I can really get them tightened down.

$80... That's how much I spent to get the Evader going about a month or two ago...
Old 09-11-2013, 08:11 AM
rclugnut10

That's about what I'll have spent between the sc converted ext I got and the parts I'll need to run it bl. Getting the extra chassis was nice cuz now I have a beater/ loaner car
Old 09-11-2013, 05:21 PM
DieHarder

Nice....
Old 09-12-2013, 01:45 PM
EXT2Rob

Hey Lug! Welcome back. Finally get some time out of school to get a little RC play time in?
Indestructable? Well, Like DH said, we're probably not hitting stuff like we once did. That and our wrapping trees in foam. We've all gotten better at driving.
But, ALMOST indestructable. 8^) Considering we started with a budget RC, put nice new BL systems in them (Ahem...some bigger than others') and they still hold together under punishment....it impresses me. Almost every time EGB an myself get together for a race day, one of us will say, "These are amazing little machines."
Old 09-13-2013, 07:23 AM
DieHarder

You can stop with the "ahem" stuff, because I just realized that it's an oversized 540. It's still way too big for the Evader...

I got my Hunters safety certificate last night. Dad and I have gone to 3 hour classes for the past 3 nights. Tuesday night, we did book work, and then they had a tree stand safety demo, and then Wednesday, we did half the class book work, and the other half shooting. We got to shoot 10 rounds on the .22 rifle, and 3 shots at clay pigeons on the 20 gauge shotguns. I nailed 8 of the 10 shots in the bulls eye on the .22. The other two hit the targets, but not in the middle. I got to take my target home. As for the shotguns, I hit 2 of the 3 clay pigeons, which was the most out of everyone there. By the way, when we were about to go in, I asked dad how many people he thought there'd be there. He told me 9 or 10. We got in there to find about 40 kids taking the class. The first night we had to sit in the back because all the table space was taken up. Then on Thursday, we did a lot of book work, and then a quick review, and then the test. It was a 50 question A, B, C, or D test. It wasn't easy either. I passed though, with only one wrong. Not bad... I read the question wrong, and would have answered it correctly if I saw a word or two. But it's over now, and I have my certificate! So I guess I could go down to Meijer's and get a Junior license while they have the free sale for kids, and head over to the neighbors 100 acres or so land, under the supervision of an adult. I probably won't anytime soon though. Mom wants me to shoot a deer cause she really wants venison in the freezer, but I'm not sure how keen I am about cutting open a deer's anus, or pushing on the stomach and stuff. I think I could do a squirrel or rabbit, but a deer's organs are so human like, that I'd feel the knife cutting me as I was cutting on the deer... Not sure I'm ready. As for shooting one, ha! It'd be a breeze.

Ahh... the weekend. We are staying HOME! I can make some money at the neighbors, post on RCU all day, work on RCs and the trailer project, and relax! Dad's back is finally feeling better after 2 weeks since working on the trailer on his knees on the concrete. I did the grinding the same, but he's more injured than I am. So. Hopefully he's up to it this weekend. I few do, we are going to raise the trailer, so we aren't working at ground level. If he's not up to it, we might take it to get sand blasted, and then we would weld afterwards. Or we might just do nothing with it. Who knows...

What are you guys doing? Any race day?
Old 09-13-2013, 09:11 AM
cumquat

i wish i could shoot 22. havent seen any long rifle since January and shorts are now 16 bucks per 100 (used to be 9). i hope this ammo shortage will be over soon, i used to go through 1000-1500 rounds of 22 and a handful of 20 gauge shells a month. havent even touched my shotgun since June.
Old 09-13-2013, 09:16 AM
EXT2Rob

Dunno. After getting a $380 water bill I'm not sure I'm so keen on having to water the damn track! SHEESH!

I swear, if I had to hunt to feed myself, I'd starve to death. I killed a blue jay with a BB gun once when I was a kid. I felt HORRIBLE about it, and have not killed anything since. No way in hell could I shoot and gut a deer. They roam our property. There are six bucks hanging around this year. If I couldn't buy meat already prepped in nice clean little packages, I'd have to become vegetarian.

Last edited by EXT2Rob; 09-13-2013 at 02:33 PM.
Old 09-13-2013, 06:34 PM
DieHarder

Water bill?!? Dang! We have our own house well, and it's only like 40ft deep. All take is electricity, a water mineral filtration system, and a faucet. Instant water for the price of electricity.

I have shot 3 chipmunks, and one bird. I had no prob shooting them...
Old 09-14-2013, 10:13 AM
EXT2Rob

Well, when you grow up in Michigan, I guess hunting is just part of life. Congrats getting your license.
Killing for food is one thing. Killing for sport is just.....sick.
Old 09-14-2013, 04:26 PM
DieHarder

Well, for me it's kind of both. I'd like to kill something thinking that what's in my sights is actually a living thing and not a target. I'm sure it'd be fun. But after I shoot it, we would gut it and freeze it. Then eventually eat it. So it goes both ways... We have enough food already, and the money to buy more, but shooting something for the food is fun, and that's why I want to do it.

Thanks for the congrats E2R! I plan to use it sometime soon on a squirrel or something of the like.... I'll try and work my way up to a deer...
Old 09-16-2013, 04:19 AM
monsterbombs

I'm calling BS on the 50mph,sorry man but that is quick. We need speed gun verification

I'm looking at getting my gun license mainly for security when i'm out camping in the scrub,
from animals and humans.

How much of this forum is about the evaders these days?lol
Old 09-16-2013, 11:20 AM
DieHarder

[TABLE]
[TR]
[TD="width: 270"]This is the calculation for all the specs.
It says 71mph, but it's less due to wind
resistance and friction. I'm positive though
that it does 50mph,... easy. Here's the site.

Spur/Pinion Reduction Ratio (?):[/TD]
[TD]

http://scriptasylum.com/rc_speed/top_speed.html

3.22:1[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Total Reduction Ratio (?):[/TD]
[TD]8.37778:1[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Tire Circumference (?):[/TD]
[TD]21.6 inches (548.6mm)[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Rollout (?):[/TD]
[TD]2.58:1[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Total Motor Speed (?):[/TD]
[TD]29229.38 RPM[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="width: 270"]Theoretical Maximum Vehicle Speed (?):[/TD]
[TD]71.36 mph (114.63 km/h)[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="width: 270"]Calculated Loaded KV Value (?):[/TD]
[TD]3479.69[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="width: 270"]Calculated KT Constant (?):[/TD]
[TD]0.39 oz-in/A[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="width: 270"]Calculated Motor Torque (?):[/TD]
[TD]0.13 ft-lbs[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="width: 270"]Calculated Axle Torque (?):[/TD]
[TD]1.1 ft-lbs[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="width: 270"]Calculated Motor Power (?):[/TD]
[TD]546 watts (0.7 HP)[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
Old 09-16-2013, 06:54 PM
SmokeScx10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LsRkesUi4Q
Old 09-17-2013, 01:59 PM
monsterbombs

Them calculators are never accurate the only way to truly tell is speed runs with a radar gun.
With a video of course so we can all have a look at an evader giving it some serious stink
I only say this because i put arguably the fastest combo possible into an evader and i dont think
it was hitting 100kph.Probably wasn't far off but i doubt it was going that fast.Speed is one
of them things,most of the time you think youre going faster than you really are,same as 1:1
drag racing.

I always like to have a laugh at the speeds they post on the boxes of RTR's.Like the old traxxas
bandit with the 12t titan saying 30mph on the box. Yeh, maybe.....

With a push,down a great long hill.

And a strong tailwind.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.