Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

The Evader Coalition ~ T.E.C. Part 2.

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2013, 04:11 PM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

FPEPIOJEPIOJF:ED::SPPODFPIJO!!!!! I just installed a Hitec HS-645MG servo in my car, using the "off-set" servo horn that is stock. Took the thing out for a test drive, and all of a sudden, I can't turn left. What had been perfectly centered when I started is now WAY off. Crap! Servo horn stripped. (?) Or, the Evader servo horn splines are not the same pitch as the Hitec servo. So ***? NONE of the included servo horns provided will work, because there's no off set: the horn will bind on the bellcrank. Not only that, the servo horn is too tall anyway...won't fit under the front chassis brace. Dammit! THis kinda crap pisses me off! I know this friggin servo is used all the time in this truck, so *** is the solution???
Old 09-18-2013, 05:35 PM
DieHarder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to say man, but looks like you bought the wrong servo... I have used this servo http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...tal-Gear-Servo for 2 seasons straight so far with absolutely no maintenance or performance issues. I recommend you return that one, and get this. See in the picture below the specs that shows what attachments you get? See that little blue aluminum horn? That's what you need to use. What you do, is take the ball joint ball from the current servo horn, and put it in that aluminum one. But because the holes in the blue servo horn are too small, you drill it to just slightly smaller than the screw part on the ball joint ball. Then you either force threads into the new hole with the ball joint ball, or you can tap it with a tap and handle if you have one. Just screw the new ball joint ball in, bolt it to the servo, and finish assembly. I works great, also the horn doesn't hit on the servo brace. Like I say, I really recommend getting it, and if you have any trouble I can walk you through it.
Old 09-18-2013, 09:30 PM
EXT2Rob

Seriously?? So what yer paying $16 for over the 645 is that aluminum servo horn. Huh. The original one has lasted three years. Don't get why it failed now.
I'm just in a pissy mood, hasn't been a good day, had to make TWO trips to the LHS cuz the first servo I bought had the wrong one in the box! The "AIRBAG" light came on in my Subaru, an the goddang gophers are makin my tomato plants fall over!!

I'm perfectly capable, mechanically speaking. However, I don't see how that aluminum horn solves the lack of off set. Without that offset, it looks to me like that short little link to the belcrank gets put at a weird angle. No-wut-ah-mean?
Old 09-19-2013, 07:41 AM
DieHarder

It doesn't need the offset. I admit, it has a bit of a different angle, but that's why it's a ball joint. It still functions the same as ever. I didn't mean to offend you on your mechanical skills, I just wanted to make sure everything would go well for you. No insult intended.

Well, your not paying $16 for only the horn, your getting a quite-a-bit stronger servo. Sorry to hear about the Subaru and the tomato plants...

If you don't want to spend the extra $16, get this. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hitec-HS-625...item4ac8d16ad6 It comes with a metal horn on it already. Same servo, different horn. Or if you want to keep your servo, get this. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Metal-CNC-Al...item20bfcc68d8 Or if you don't mind used, and want a lower price, get this. http://www.ebay.com/itm/L8-0915-losi...item5d3faa5dea That's about as cheap as they come for an aluminum one....
Old 09-19-2013, 01:56 PM
egbasher

I agree. Calculators give you a theoretical top speed. Radar guns provide empirical proof and so do handheld GPS's. I've seen 41 mph in my evader running a 4300 kV 380 motor and 20/87 gears and that's pulling the extra weight of the GPS. Although I think weight affects acceleration a lot more than top speed. I could see DH's pulling 50 with a 23 pinion - he has a bigger motor in his. 100 kph = 62 mph. That might be a stretch.
What was the "fastest combo" you put in your evader MB?

[QUOTE=monsterbombs;11618115]Them calculators are never accurate the only way to truly tell is speed runs with a radar gun.
With a video of course so we can all have a look at an evader giving it some serious stink
I only say this because i put arguably the fastest combo possible into an evader and i dont think
it was hitting 100kph.
Old 09-19-2013, 04:12 PM
EXT2Rob

[rant]

OK, I've been in this hobby for three years now. And I'm just now learning that THERE ISN'T A STANDARD ON THE NUMBER OF SPLINES ON A SERVO SHAFT??
Seriously? Hitec uses 24...Futaba (and most RTRs, apparently) use 25. I went to the LHS to get a new servo horn for the Hitec 645MG I got, since I apparently stripped out the 25-spline OEM part I've been using for the 3yrs I've had the car, and the guy says "Yeah, Duratrax and Losi are the only ones who use that offset horn, everyone else uses a straight one. Here's a set of Duratrax servo horns ($2.99) with a 23-, 24-, and 25-spline. Hitec uses 24, Futaba uses 25, and they supply the majority of the RTRs." OK, so how do I tell which one is which? Are they marked? Noooooo!!!!! YOU GET TO GUESS!!!! Isn't that nice?

Meanwhile, I'm getting Carple Tunnel Syndrome................
Old 09-19-2013, 05:28 PM
cumquat

if it's the constant screwing/unscrewing that's messing up your wrist you should definitely invest in this http://www.lowes.com/pd_407197-34170...7C1&facetInfo= i got one for Christmas and it is very nice to use. the big one works great for everything from unscrewing a battery cover to driving screws into a wall without a pilot hole. the little one i use for adjusting the tension on my folding knives and putting the lens back into my glasses. you can hold the blue collar to drive thing really fast or dont hold it and it'll function like a ratchet driver. the bits that come with it are pretty decent to boot.
Old 09-20-2013, 07:05 AM
EXT2Rob

That looks really interesting cumquat. Does it have the 2.5mm hex I need for use on the hex head screws? Even a double-ratcheting driver might not be enough, I think I need a power tool. I think someone mentioned a Makita power screwdriver. But then, installing a servo is not something one does very often. It's just really frustrating, and frustration is something I never learned to deal with very well. Especially over stupid crap.
Old 09-20-2013, 08:40 AM
cumquat

no, but it'll use any 1/4" security bit so you can go to most hardware stores and find what you need. i personally like this set http://www.harborfreight.com/100-pie...set-68457.html comes with dang near every bit you'll ever need for rc, including 1/16" and 1.5mm bits (the sizes used for pinion grub screws). even cooler, it has a 1/4" socket adapter so you can even use it to put on wheel and slipper nuts!
Old 09-20-2013, 11:55 AM
EXT2Rob

Well, this is interesting: Having taken a wild-ass guess at which of three servo arms in a DTX "Servo horn kit for Evader" is the one I needed, and stripping the first one, I discovered something. INSIDE the splined hole on the servo arm is a letter! The one I tried and stripped had an "A" inside of it. I looked at the other two (using a very high-power magnifier) and wouldn't ya know....one has an "H" and the other one has an "F". Gee, could that mean "Hitec" and "Futaba", respectively? (WHat would "A" stand for? Associated?) SO! There IS a marking on these things....it's just in CODE!!

Last edited by EXT2Rob; 09-20-2013 at 08:06 PM.
Old 09-20-2013, 02:23 PM
monsterbombs

[QUOTE=egbasher;11619528]I agree. Calculators give you a theoretical top speed. Radar guns provide empirical proof and so do handheld GPS's. I've seen 41 mph in my evader running a 4300 kV 380 motor and 20/87 gears and that's pulling the extra weight of the GPS. Although I think weight affects acceleration a lot more than top speed. I could see DH's pulling 50 with a 23 pinion - he has a bigger motor in his. 100 kph = 62 mph. That might be a stretch.
What was the "fastest combo" you put in your evader MB?

Originally Posted by monsterbombs
Them calculators are never accurate the only way to truly tell is speed runs with a radar gun.
With a video of course so we can all have a look at an evader giving it some serious stink
I only say this because i put arguably the fastest combo possible into an evader and i dont think
it was hitting 100kph.
Fastest combo was the castle creations 7700kv motor with a strong 2s.That thing flew.I usually used stock gearing.
I went on a mission to make the fastest evader ever. I ran the 6900kv motor on 3s with an external BEC. It was
just disgusting.The amount of power was just too much,especially for a ball diff.Didn't strip anything though.lol

The rear diff was quacking like a duck and it just couldn't use the power.

I put the same setup in an old traxxas bandit i had but it was just too powerful.This was all for a speed run competition
on another forum.Long story short,trial speed runs on a 35 degree day cooked my mamba esc.Absolutely gutted.
Old 09-20-2013, 08:03 PM
EXT2Rob

[QUOTE=EXT2Rob;11620296]Well, this is interesting: Having taken a wild-ass guess at which of three servo arms in a DTX "Servo horn kit for Evader" is the one I needed, and stripping the first one, I discovered something. INSIDE the splined hole on the servo arm is a letter! The one I tried and stripped had an "A" inside of it. I looked at the other two (using a very high-power magnifier) and wouldn't ya know....one has an "H" and the other one has an "F". Gee, could that mean "Hitec" and "Futaba", respectively? (WHat would "A" stand for? Associated?) SO! There IS a marking on these things....it's just in CODE!!

Sorry for rant....feel free to delete.....

Last edited by EXT2Rob; 09-20-2013 at 08:07 PM.
Old 09-21-2013, 06:16 AM
cumquat

the "A" is for airtronics i believe.
Old 09-21-2013, 10:18 AM
egbasher

That would have been nice to know when I went thru the same thing you are. FYI: the T-pros from HobbyPartz use the Futaba horn. I knew that when I replaced my servo but had to guess which horn to use (and strip one out). I can't remember which horn the stock servo used.

[QUOTE=EXT2Rob;11620588]
Originally Posted by EXT2Rob
Well, this is interesting: Having taken a wild-ass guess at which of three servo arms in a DTX "Servo horn kit for Evader" is the one I needed, and stripping the first one, I discovered something. INSIDE the splined hole on the servo arm is a letter! The one I tried and stripped had an "A" inside of it. I looked at the other two (using a very high-power magnifier) and wouldn't ya know....one has an "H" and the other one has an "F". Gee, could that mean "Hitec" and "Futaba", respectively? (WHat would "A" stand for? Associated?) SO! There IS a marking on these things....it's just in CODE!!

Sorry for rant....feel free to delete.....
Old 09-21-2013, 10:25 AM
egbasher

E2R is right: there are three servo standards and DH is right, the A is Airtronics. Just like everything in consumer-world, the manufacturers never standardize stuff and tell us they are giving us "options". In reality I think it just ends up costing us money. Ask anybody who bought a Sony Betamax VCR.
Old 09-21-2013, 10:36 AM
egbasher

Whew, a 7700. That's a lot of power. I had a castle 4600? on my evader for awhile...until I fried the SV2 ESC. Castle makes nice motors, not so sure about their ESC's. You fried your mamba on a 35 degree day? Then I realized you're in Australia. 35 Celsius. That's around 95 Fahrenheit. So now I'm not surprised. I don't like to run on days above 90. Motor gets too hot too fast.
Originally Posted by monsterbombs

Fastest combo was the castle creations 7700kv motor with a strong 2s.That thing flew.I usually used stock gearing.
I went on a mission to make the fastest evader ever. I ran the 6900kv motor on 3s with an external BEC. It was
just disgusting.The amount of power was just too much,especially for a ball diff.Didn't strip anything though.lol

The rear diff was quacking like a duck and it just couldn't use the power.

I put the same setup in an old traxxas bandit i had but it was just too powerful.This was all for a speed run competition
on another forum.Long story short,trial speed runs on a 35 degree day cooked my mamba esc.Absolutely gutted.
Old 09-21-2013, 04:55 PM
DieHarder

Actually cumquat said that...

E2R: You've spent $3.18 on 3 servo horns, and your only going to use one of them. If you had applied that money to this http://www.ebay.com/itm/L8-0915-losi...item5d3faa5dea , you'd only be $2.30 away from having it shipped to your house from Idaho. Also, yeah, I forgot to tell you that there were different sizes. When I bought my Hi-Tec servo, they gave me new horns with the offset. So I tried them out to see which one I could get to fit on it the tightest. But because of my rough driving, I stripped it, and switch to the aluminum one they gave me. So far, it has never failed me, and has always worked.

MB: 7700kv is a quick motor, but as EG said, he got 41mph on 20/87. I'm running 27/87 on a 3500 540. That's 7 teeth on the pinion more. Even though it's a lower kv, 800kv isn't a lot when your comparing it to a 7700kv. It might just graze 50mph with a gps on-board because of the weight, but with a speed radar, and no gps or extra weight, I'm sure I could hit 55mph with the right shock/camber setup.

I just got back from an overnight church camp. There was a lot of stuff I can't believe you'd see at church camp. Some of the girls had skin-tight clothes on where you could see the outline of their underwear and bras. And then on top of that, there were the rough guys playing football. I played football with them. It was our team vs theirs, and whenever we would miss a pass, or screw something up, they'd swear at our plays, and tell us how dumb it was to pick them. We won the game in the end like 21-7 Then my buddies wanted to get them back. So while all of the rough dudes were in the bathrooms showering and stuff, my friend and I walked in there casually, then he flipped the light switch and we ran. There was lots of yelling behind us, and by the time they made it out of the bathrooms, we were gone into our cabin, and they didn't know which one we went in. It was like that scene from the movie "Karate Kid" from like the 70's-80's. (Not the new one) We played "Decaball" quite a bit. The eggs at the camp for breakfast were really watery, and we ended up missing breakfast, because it was too gross. Then we had some classes and free time and came home. The cabins were really old and the walls, bunk beds, etc. were all made out of 2x4s with a concrete floor. Pretty sad. I'm glad I don't have to go there again....

Originally Posted by egbasher
E2R is right: there are three servo standards and DH is right, the A is Airtronics. Just like everything in consumer-world, the manufacturers never standardize stuff and tell us they are giving us "options". In reality I think it just ends up costing us money. Ask anybody who bought a Sony Betamax VCR.
Old 09-22-2013, 05:26 PM
monsterbombs

God knows how fast mine was going then.lol
Old 09-22-2013, 07:47 PM
rclugnut10

Grrrr subscriptions still aren't working for me it seems :/

As far as servo's go i had some issues with stripped gears. I'm running a tower TS-140 (same as teh CS-140). I'm also running a futaba i believe aluminum horn that i cut down. stuck a ball stud with nut on the back of. if you're worried about offset i imainge some washers or another nut on the front side of the horn should solve that problem. If it helps I get tweaked over little stuff like that too...

as far as my evaders go... My pro is still waiting on bearings and an idler for the EXT transmission i'm putting in it... The EXT converted to SC with an ST tranny in it is being powered a 20t traxxas stinger and DTX autosport esc is still running solid on 2s and 3s packs (mini ones that fit in the vendetta non the less). No heat issues from running the 3s on the motor or esc. Though it hasn't loved me for all the wet weather running i've been doing.

It's just a tad muddy (i was running a sidewinder esc in this pic since i knew that was 3s safe and didn't need to be soldered at the time).

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	lg-241120.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	1924082  

Last edited by rclugnut10; 09-22-2013 at 07:54 PM.
Old 09-23-2013, 08:12 AM
DieHarder

That's what my setup is because the homemade threads in the horn for the stud wouldn't work. So I got a longer stud, and put a nut on the backside. But I didn't have to cut down the horn. It was plenty short when I got it. (That's the one I recommended) If you had a long enough stud, you could probably stick a few washers back there, but for me, "it's all put together, and I don't feel like redoing it right now"... Check out my sig below...
Originally Posted by rclugnut10
Grrrr subscriptions still aren't working for me it seems :/

As far as servo's go i had some issues with stripped gears. I'm running a tower TS-140 (same as teh CS-140). I'm also running a futaba i believe aluminum horn that i cut down. stuck a ball stud with nut on the back of. if you're worried about offset i imainge some washers or another nut on the front side of the horn should solve that problem. If it helps I get tweaked over little stuff like that too...
Old 09-27-2013, 07:41 AM
DieHarder

Friday everybody!! What are your guy's plans for the weekend?!?
Old 09-29-2013, 10:20 AM
egbasher

Watch the last Giants game of the season today (no need to remind me of where they are in the standings...hey, you can't go the the world series every year!) and go racing on Monday. The weather is perfect for running rc right now and my evader with the 4300 is driving the best it ever has right now, so I'm psyched.
Old 09-29-2013, 04:43 PM
rclugnut10

I feel your pain egbasher... I may take my brushed evader downtown and see if an old/small track is still there see if i can cause some chaos that way... I'll see about getting some pics if i can drag a friend a long...
Old 10-02-2013, 06:06 PM
DieHarder

Glad to hear your Evader is running well EG. Mine needs a spur because it's partially stripped, but I plan to run it till it dies...
Old 10-03-2013, 11:14 AM
EXT2Rob

Monday was a nice race day, despite EGB forgetting to bring his batteries and charger! We got by ok with my five 5000mah LiPOs. Had a little extra downtime....

EGB, I did put your ribbed front tires on my Evader for a try. You must have some exponential setting on your transmitter. I can hardly drive the thing! I even scaled back the steering rate on my trans by 50%, and still could hardly get one lap in w/o spinning out. They do seem to give you more steering grip, tho. Maybe if I swept the track of all the loose stuff, or watered it, it would work better and I could actually get some laps in. Or, maybe I'd need to use the wider-offset wheels on the rear, too. The RPM Claws you use have a wider offset than the RPM Slingshots that I use. Will play around with 'em a little more.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.