Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

The Evader Coalition ~ T.E.C. Part 2.

Old 10-19-2014, 05:59 PM
DieHarder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is actually a front spoiler molded into the body shape on the Evader Brushless Body, which is kind of interesting. Also a small rear spoiler.
Old 10-20-2014, 08:22 AM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by DieHarder
lol Yeah. And then before all that I was flying my glider and quadcopter (seriously). I'm getting out the micro car out this winter.....
I was thinking about getting a plane (electric Cessna) and try my hands at the flying part of the hobby. DH kinda sparked my interest of a glider when I was reading about his adventures in a tree back earlier in the thread. Where I live there is a breeze most days... most other days there is 3~10 mph winds. I'll have to research a bit on the glider thing while I put the 9T motor back in the Evader (see......I didn't go totally off-topic here ) to really torture the BL Evader drivetrain with Gladiator tread.
Old 10-22-2014, 04:06 PM
DieHarder

9T is a bit crazier than me.

I've got 10T on 2S normally, been trying 3S a bit though. Update: The 32P gears are nearly indestructible! No trouble at all! The mesh seems a little more broken in after running 3S speed runs, and it still seems awesomely strong! I would recommend 32P to everyone who has gear stripping issues.

* Duratrax Evader ST Nitro 60T spur

* Robinson Racing 16T 32P Pinion

That's the ticket!
Old 10-22-2014, 04:09 PM
DieHarder

I know of a couple planes to recommend that I know are good. I've been in the market for another one, so I have a really good idea of what's out there (been researching for about a year now). Have you ever flown a plane? I thought I could buy an RTF glider and be pro at in with minimal crashes. I was so wrong. Since then I've had great respect for those who can fly them. I just glued mine back together.
Old 11-03-2014, 04:14 PM
RustyUs

Crap it's cold outside. The Evader is seeing less and less runs as the days go by. I just came in from giving all she had in her. I not sure if my output joints were this loose before, but when I place the output joints between my fingers and wiggle, there is quite a bit of movement in them. Time to tear it down before family comes for my daughter's birthday party. Everyone likes to take a stab an the track.

Me no like the darkness comin' so soon in the day.

Last edited by RustyUs; 11-03-2014 at 05:23 PM.
Old 11-03-2014, 04:58 PM
RustyUs

Default Output Joint Has Some Play In Them

Note to self:

When putting back together the tranny, it's OK to have some movement in the outdrives/output joint.

It's been two months (8/28) since I last took apart the Evader gearbox. I'm quite surprised to find just some fine dirt in there, as to be expected with the dry dirt track I run on, but the diff screws are secure and diff not leaking any grease.

Last edited by RustyUs; 11-03-2014 at 06:50 PM.
Old 11-03-2014, 05:28 PM
RustyUs

Default Top Shaft Washers

Note to self again:

Make sure to locate your top shaft washers/spacers before you start shooting Trinity Buggy Blast cleaner (look that one up in the history books) into/onto gearbox and bearings, or you may be on hands and knees with flashlight searching for them. Oh, and that can (the big can) of Buggy Blast lasts a long time 2006~now.

I so not use to taking the Evader tranny apart every week or every other day. That Brushless Evader diff has me spoiled. Approximately 50+ outings of great Evaderness bashing since last inspection/tranny cleaning two months ago. All good inside minus the fine dirt. The teeth look great.

Last edited by RustyUs; 11-04-2014 at 03:11 AM.
Old 11-03-2014, 08:35 PM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, all your gear teeth look great. No sharpening. Diff gears look perfect.

You poor guys back east and up nort: I gotta hand it to ya for livin' in that kinda cold all bleedin' winter. Guess you have to develop a good relationship with snow. (and ice and sleet) I like it here in California just fine. Hey, FIRE season is over! Not worried about no earthquake. For me, RC season is just starting! Since the drought, we don't use water on the track anymore, so we wait for a good rain, then plan a race day. Like yesterday. It was a lovely day, cool, in the low 70's, damp-ish track. (It dries out so fast!) Perfect conditions. Don't have to worry about motor temps. Just keep the batteries charged! We had a blast. I was exhausted.
Old 11-04-2014, 03:56 AM
RustyUs

Default Brushless Evader Tranny

I can't believe my tranny swap, from a few years ago, is lasting this long. Inside my head, the thought of why Duratrax went back to a plastic geared diff, makes no sence. There is only a $7 difference between the plastic/metal gear diff!

Last edited by RustyUs; 11-04-2014 at 04:02 PM.
Old 11-05-2014, 06:19 PM
DieHarder

I'm so jealous!

Today it hit 52*. Tonight, 45* is forecasted, which is a heat blast compared to tomorrow's 32* low! It's supposed to start getting on the cold side soon, however a 50* warm up is planned for the week before thanksgiving. I was able to go out and burn a pile of brush in the pit today after school. Also got stuff pulled out of the garden and put some pots/patio furniture in for the winter. School has been taking longer now that I'm in high school, so I end up going to work as soon as I get done, leaving me with a fast late dinner, some RC, a TV show, and bed. That's my excuse for not posting in awhile. I went to the RC swap meet over in Grand Rapids. I saw a Nitro Evader for sale, but not into that. There were lots of planes and cars. A couple cool catamarans too. I ended up buying a new plane. The E-flite Pulse XT 25e (Signature). I've been prepping that for flight since two Sunday's ago, including the purchase of a Spektrum DX6i radio for it! Moving up to computer on my flight radio! My crawler still hasn't broke! I've very happy with myself on making the right upgrades right off the bat to prevent breakage and the like. I have yet to hook the battery up and not be able to drive it. It needs some lights and bigger tires soon though...

I haven't ran my Evader in about two weeks. Next plan for that is to get a front spoiler on it and try punching out the 3S. I haven't had time. I've decided to use a popsicle stick as the spoiler, but attaching it to the body is quite an issue. I don't want to drill holes in the body, so I'm thinking maybe hot glue? Any ideas?

The trailer is going good! Dad helped me cut some wood for the deck, I've got the LEDs and clips, just need to solder it up. I have tires picked out and the axles are half built. The suspension is complete, so that's great! I just need to get some more time to work on this stuff! After I get this plane going, I'm moving to the Evader to push my speed limit, then it's plow truck repair...
Originally Posted by EXT2Rob
Yeah, all your gear teeth look great. No sharpening. Diff gears look perfect.

You poor guys back east and up nort: I gotta hand it to ya for livin' in that kinda cold all bleedin' winter. Guess you have to develop a good relationship with snow. (and ice and sleet) I like it here in California just fine. Hey, FIRE season is over! Not worried about no earthquake. For me, RC season is just starting! Since the drought, we don't use water on the track anymore, so we wait for a good rain, then plan a race day. Like yesterday. It was a lovely day, cool, in the low 70's, damp-ish track. (It dries out so fast!) Perfect conditions. Don't have to worry about motor temps. Just keep the batteries charged! We had a blast. I was exhausted.
Old 11-06-2014, 04:13 AM
RustyUs

Getting off work at 5 pm; getting home at 5:15; that all adds up to no bashin'. I just plain dislike it very much. Not being able to run the Evader is starting the make me nuts and being inside, surfing the web, makes my brain conjure up thoughts that I need another RC.

I wasted $5 ordering a set of Losi 22T hex rims for test fitting on the Evader axles....no go...not enough threads on axle to secure the nut...sounds like something my wife would say about me. There is too much material in the center of rim, and I may whip out the router to make space in there for the nut at some point, or just put them on eBay. Yeah, I know I think about the "end times" for the Evader white dish rims too much (call me a "prepper"). I also grabbed the last 5 pr. of Losi XXXT rims they had at Stormer Hobbies.

You will probably see me post less and less here until spring or if nothing major happens to the Evader in the "dark" months of the year.
Old 11-07-2014, 10:08 AM
EXT2Rob

Nate, hot glue would be too brittle. Get ya some Shoo Goo . That'll do the trick. Dries pretty quickly and stays flexible. Great stuff to use on the inside of your body shells to keep them from cracking in the places they tend to.

OK, now I'll make you REALLY jealous: I'm RETIRED. My time is my own, an I can RC any dang time I want!
Old 11-07-2014, 03:52 PM
RustyUs

Originally Posted by DieHarder
I haven't ran my Evader in about two weeks. Next plan for that is to get a front spoiler on it and try punching out the 3S. I haven't had time. I've decided to use a popsicle stick as the spoiler, but attaching it to the body is quite an issue. I don't want to drill holes in the body, so I'm thinking maybe hot glue? Any ideas?
Slam that Evader (lower the chassis) down as low as possible and get some video!

Oh EXT2Rob, thanks for inspiration on retirement!
Old 11-08-2014, 11:04 AM
EXT2Rob

Inspiration? Well that's better than jealousy. The best way to work toward retirement is to get a good recommendation for a Certified Financial Planner. And start saving for it as early as you can. I was fortunate. I had a 21 year career with Intel, married a high school teacher who was smart enough to hook up with a good CFP, and I got a nice inheritance from my parents when they passed away. All that combined to make an early retirement possible. And thanks to the fact that teachers get good medical benefits for not a lot of money, we're covered there too.

However, I feel like I may be the last of the generation who can look forward to such a life. Look how hard it is for young people to even find a job, much less a career. The choices this country has been making the last twenty years are coming back to bite us in the ass. And supreme court decisions like Citizens United have allowed Corporate America to take over the government. Did you know that the number of people living in the suburbs who have fallen below the poverty line has risen by 66% in the last 10 years? They're killing off the middle-class! Average worker wages have only risen 19% since 1978, while corporate CEO's pay has risen by 249%! All that money being concentrated at the top does little for the average Joe, and certainly doesn't do much good for the country. I wish the future generations luck, cuz they'er bloody going to need it.
Old 11-09-2014, 04:19 PM
DieHarder

Think Hobby Lobby or Walmart carries Shoo-goo? That'd be nice. I will check. Thanks!

Rusty: I didn't think of that! I currently have the shocks set so the drive shafts are perfectly level. I bet if I drop it as low as possible I could get the ground clearance to around an inch. (The big Badlands tires make it so the suspension bottoms out before the chassis touches the ground. 8) Which is probably why I have no oil in my shocks anymore and whenever I rebuild them, they leak out. lol) That might fix the problem. Between that and the spoiler, I can't go wrong!

Your lucky Rob, well done. For me, I'm 95% set on going to college to be an engineer. I should make some decent money and it's said that finding work as an engineer is very easy with all the developing technology these days. Maybe by the time I get near death they will have figured out how to rebuild a human body affordably or come up with computer brains capable of transferring our real brain's knowledge and memories to allow me to live well over 120. Doubt it though, haha. Middle class is saying goodbye, so I'm hoping to be in the upper as a single engineer. Everyone's plans change in college so it seems, so that's probably not even close to an accurate observation. lol
Old 11-09-2014, 09:56 PM
cumquat

i know meijer carries it. it's in hardware by the super glue.
Old 11-10-2014, 08:05 AM
EXT2Rob

Just about every hardware store carries Shoo Goo or Plumber's Goop. I'm sure Mal-Wart would have it.

Engineering. Good for you Nate. Mechanical? Electrical? Thinking of Purdue?
Old 11-10-2014, 12:49 PM
DieHarder

Mechanical. Nuclear is my second choice. Nuclear pays really good, but I would be 'loving what I do' as a mechanical engineer.

Is this the right stuff?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Eclectic-1...e-Goo/21129799
Old 11-10-2014, 04:39 PM
EXT2Rob

Dat be da stuff!

Brilliant. Mechanical Engineering. We need more good ones. Go for it, mate.

I just wish we were putting that flush of new engineering talent to work on things like solar water de-salinization, distributed power generation, and things like that giant cooker that turns anything organic into useable oil. THAT'S the kind of innovation we should be focusing on. Not new ways of getting more oil outta the ground.
Old 11-11-2014, 05:57 PM
DieHarder

I'll pick some of the Shoo Goo up either tomorrow or Thursday. Thanks!

Math and Science come quite easy for me and I can spend hours in the garage designing and building all sorts of stuff from RC trailers to dozer blades on garden tractors. Like right now, I'm working on finding the perfect spring to use as a helper spring for the new spring trip snowplow to go on our 1967 Simplicity Yeoman 616. The helper spring needs to make lifting the plow easier since it's a manual lever. The new spring trip plow is quite a bit beefier and heavier than the dirt plow I used last year. I also need to make the spring tension adjustable and find the points on both the tractor and the plow from which I will hook the spring, whether it's existing holes or ones I'll have to drill.

My dad is a mechanical engineer, my grandpa was a civil engineer, my grandma is a mechanical engineer, and my other grandpa was an engineer who flew / built RC planes. I have unlimited interest in measurements, materials, shop work, mechanics, how things work, forces, stress points, etc. I'm all over it and I think I would be one of those few out there that love what they do. It would be my career over just a job I would go to for money. I think that's were I belong.

I slammed the Evader last night and the back is really low. Since the back is now obviously lower than the front, could that possible make it flip easier since the wind would work like a wedge under the car? My other thought was to slam the front only and leave the back were it was/raise it a little, giving it more of the race car look. Also, I could put a smaller set of tires on the front to lower it that way too. Is this correct thinking?
Old 11-12-2014, 04:17 AM
RustyUs

Maybe put some spacers in the front shocks or fuel line to limit downward travel of piston.
Old 11-12-2014, 08:03 AM
EXT2Rob

Oh yeah, I would think keeping the nose lower than the tail would be much better than the opposite.

Wow, yer whole fam-damly are mech enigineers! Sounds like you're passionate about it too, so yeah, sounds like that's where you ought to go. Good on you.

Jeez, now you guys are getting lake-effect snow on top of the polar vortex! Brrrrrr! We're hoping for rain. I've been filling depressions in the track. It's gotten kind of beat up and bumpy. Working on smoothing it out, so when the rain does get here, we'll have a good surface to race on.
Old 11-12-2014, 10:05 AM
cumquat

yep, supposed to snow pretty much all day tomorrow.
Old 11-12-2014, 03:25 PM
RustyUs

Since acquiring tons of spare parts over the past couple of years for my Evader ST ...wish I hadn't gone that route now. Why you ask? Nothing against Duratrax and the Evader line up...it's Hobbico and Team Durango that's turning me away from getting another Hobbico brand of RC vehicle to get back into racing again. My buddy is off work 'till next year (asphalt/road work) and I hinted to him he should break out the buggy again, 'cause I am in the mood to race Stadium Truck class or at least spark some interest with other drivers.

Almost three weeks now; multiple emails to Team Durango and Hobbico about some discontinuations of some models on Tower Hobbies. Not one reply back. So sad. I wish the wife didn't order goods for my Evader off of my Tower wish list. I'm ready to take a loss and dump everything Evader/Hobbico I have and put it on eBay.
Old 11-12-2014, 04:01 PM
RustyUs

Give me a week and I'll be over it...maybe.

Last edited by RustyUs; 11-12-2014 at 05:15 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.