Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

The Evader Coalition ~ T.E.C. Part 2.

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2015, 04:13 PM
BKoz559
My Feedback: (3)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm trying to follow what's happening in your photos. There's a lot in there. I can see that even with the ProLine PowerStroke shocks installed they're pretty much maxed out. Have you tried to fit 1/8 buggy shocks and springs to the truck? 1/8 rigs probably weigh 7-12 lbs depending on the type of vehicle it is.
Old 09-13-2015, 07:33 AM
Tcafb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last edited by Tcafb; 09-13-2015 at 07:36 AM.
Old 09-13-2015, 07:54 AM
Tcafb

Originally Posted by BKoz559
I'm trying to follow what's happening in your photos. There's a lot in there. I can see that even with the ProLine PowerStroke shocks installed they're pretty much maxed out. Have you tried to fit 1/8 buggy shocks and springs to the truck? 1/8 rigs probably weigh 7-12 lbs depending on the type of vehicle it is.
I think if i wanted better performance from this truck like for racing or bashing in the dirt then yes that would be the way to go, but just for running around on ctiy streets and parking lots chasing other rc's around and speed runs they handle just fine. There is a lot going on in the photos, happy to answer any questions anyone has. Some of the cool stuff can't be seen in the photos. Like the parts that come from Dimension Engineering. Awesome company!! Definitely recommend a visit to there site if your into remote control DIY!!

Last edited by Tcafb; 09-13-2015 at 08:23 AM.
Old 09-13-2015, 08:01 AM
Tcafb

Originally Posted by RustyUs
You got some more room in there. I think a popcorn maker is needed yet.

I gotta see that Evader shooting sparks down the road!
LOL!! Well i am planing on stuffing an FPV system on this truck only because it seems impossible to get anything else in there and i like a challenge!!! Oh and i am working on making some vids to share soon!!!
Old 09-13-2015, 09:27 AM
Tcafb

Originally Posted by BKoz559

I came here to upload a quick shot of my son's Evader; but after seeing this guys' rig ^ I feel a little inadequate.

Really, I wanted to show off the wheel setup because I thought it could be something others might have been curious about. Since the Evader uses Associated style drive pins in the rear and bearings in the wheels up front I had to think about how I would go about putting SC wheels onto it. I ended up using an Associated SC10 set of hexes over the drive pins in the rear and DE Racing Trinidad for Traxxas Slash front on the rear axles. I used Trinidad's up front but for the SC10. Then I wrapped them all in ProLine Badlands. This combination ended up giving me equal offset front and rear and opened up many more tire options. I did have to trim away the front fenders on the body but depending on which lid you use you may have to do additional trimming.
Dude that's a job well done! Most Evader lovers have tried many different wheel conversion set ups with no luck. Great post!!
Old 09-13-2015, 05:49 PM
DieHarder

Holy... ****.... That's insane! Twin 3S? 78 LEDs?! 5 cooling fans?!?! 9 POUNDS?!?!?!?! AND YOU FIT IT ALL UNDER THE BODY?!?!?!?! Man! That is just sick! I love the motor temp and battery voltage screens in the windows, awesome idea. The different colored under-glow lights are sweet too, as well as the accent lighting. That's a badass Evader, totally rad build! I'm requesting a video! Let's hear this thing! Well done! FPV on that would be the ultimate, DO IT!

Great info BK! I solved that problem by buying stock rims, but my next set won't be stockers, so this will definitely come in handy. Bookmarked.
Originally Posted by Tcafb
Custom Duratrax Evader ext!! Must see!!!

This is my duratrax evader. It has soo many upgrades and custom work that I don't know where to start!! It has 78 LEDs in total, 2 3s lipo's, 5 fans for cooling(I know it's overkill but they work great!) an Turnigy Trackstar 150a 1/8 scale sensored esc, Turnigy 540 Trackstar 4850kv 4pole brushless motor, an dimension engineering 6v 3amp sport bec, pro line powerstroke shocks, 4 channel flysky rec, rc lights full function led controller, and many more custom parts!! Next install will be an six speaker sound system. Got any questions I'll be happy to reply to. Oh one oh the best features is the ground spark system I created to shoot sparks out from the rear end with a button press on the controller. With all the extra weight on board I'm still able to pop wheelies and hit 45+mph easily with an 25 tooth pinon gear. Spur gear is 86t steel and aluminum.

!!!!!!!!!UPDATE!!!!!!!!

OK for anybody who cares i have completed my tricked out custom Duratraxx Evader. Its been a long time in the works with life and other things you have to take on a daily basis but i think im dome now. The 8 speaker 70 watt remote mp3 sound system was truly fun and rewarding to install!! This car is truly a show stopper now!! One look and listen at this car in action is something all RC car fans should see. I've only pushed it to 42 mph and its still more throttle to go. I'm going to post lots of pics and if i get some request i will post some videos of it in action. Enjoy!! Please spread this post around if possible if you think its cool or if you can. Dont know how to put this elsewhere on the forum. THANKS FOR YOUR TIME!!!!
Old 09-21-2015, 05:08 PM
DieHarder

Had some fun this weekend and my grandparents cabins. They're doing some landscaping and had some dirt/sand piles around. Looked great for a track, so I put a hundred laps in or so. Also dirtied up the Evader, something I don't do too often. Made it fun.

I would post a pic I took of the mud covered Evader, but it's not wanting to upload for some reason... Same file type as the one that did upload of the track. I even transferred them to my laptop the same way, no idea why it's not working.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Evader 2.jpg
Views:	586
Size:	4.98 MB
ID:	2121687  
Old 12-17-2015, 10:05 PM
egbasher

Sweet piece of engineering Tcafb. Whatever possessed you to create this? I'm a big fan of LED lights and I love the digital displays. You must run on smooth surfaces. I"d be worried about the exposed ESC. One flip could be disastrous. Maybe you could engineer a roll cage for it. Hey, at least it'll stay cool up there! Just curious, what's the range of the FS-iT4?

Originally Posted by Tcafb
Thanks EXT2Rob!! Dude those PL shocks are one the best upgrades on the truck. There about 4 years old and still rock like the first day i got them! No leaks (I do clean them and change the oil when needed, 40w front, 50w rear) and small jumps don't make the truck bottom-out as much as one would think a car this heavy should. Like i can run it off the curb onto the street and it makes a nice soft landing. Love to see them keep this truck rolling smoothly! I think there awesome!!! Your right about telemetry that's why i went with a Fly Sky FS-iT4 4 channel telemetry setup for this build. It fits the look i was going for with a lot of features on the cheap, plus it works well(put an custom aluminum steering wheel on it, the one it comes with is crap!).
Old 12-31-2015, 09:28 PM
JMHZ2401

Old timer popping in to say hi. We were on the first Coalition when I was a regular. I still have my ST pro. A few years ago my VXL motor had the rotor crack and the ST parked. Last week I bought a replacement motor that came in yesterday. Spent the day bringing back to life 2 old 7 cell packs. She seems to be running strong. Did some googling and seen the 32p swap which I think I will do as I have had problems with the 48 Spur.

So a newer Evader came out it seems I was unaware. Brushless setup. I see the diff is different, but housing seems the same. Am I safe to assume that diff will swap into my old ST tranny?

I was very close to selling off my Evader stuff as I have a son now. Got into drones a little and even a small rc boat. decided maybe if the ST still had it I could make a trailor for the boat. My son (3) got a kick out of watching my ST run up and down the street today so it will likely stay around.
Old 12-31-2015, 09:47 PM
cumquat

no, the gear diffs will not fit the old st trans case. you'll need the ext case. cant remember if the ext rear chassis plate was needed or not.
Old 12-31-2015, 10:44 PM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe it is, cumquat. At least they're still available. The ol' Evader has finally been put to bed by Duratrax. The only two models left in the DTX stable (and it's really one model) is the elec and nitro version of the 835 buggy. Parts should still be easy to get for a few more years anyway.
Old 01-01-2016, 05:30 AM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Parts Needed

Originally Posted by JMHZ2401
So a newer Evader came out it seems I was unaware. Brushless setup. I see the diff is different, but housing seems the same. Am I safe to assume that diff will swap into my old ST tranny?

I was very close to selling off my Evader stuff as I have a son now. Got into drones a little and even a small rc boat. decided maybe if the ST still had it I could make a trailor for the boat. My son (3) got a kick out of watching my ST run up and down the street today so it will likely stay around.
The Coalition lives!

I've been reading RCCA back issues during the winter break in my RC outdoor adventures and it's funny to see the different takes on the Evader chassis. That Brushless Evader was the Godsend to many, if not all, Evader users. I know I've gone through many, many, many ball diffs, and idler gears during my days of brushed modified motors finding their way into my ST tranny.

If it wasn't for the Brushless Evader geared diff I wouldn't be here. I definitely would have sold my stadium truck even though I loved they way the platform handled compared to my lighter and more nimble buggies.

There was a list of parts needed for a Evader ST Pro to convert it to the Brushless Evader tranny somewhere in the pages of this thread. I know that a new chassis plate is not needed as the aluminum plate/rear suspension mounts of the ST Pro...
this allows an EXT/EXT.2/Brushless Evader gearbox to fit without modification. The original Evader ST plastic rear chassis is too narrow, and yes, the EXT rear chassis plate DTXC6978 ,or Brushless EV Rear Chassis Plate DTXC6972 will be needed for the wider EXT/Brushless Evader gearbox.

List of goods needed for "bullet proof" tranny: [HR][/HR] Parts that I used for my Brushless Evader Tranny conversion > Evader ST Pro Chassis:
DTXC7889 EXT/Brushless Evader Gearbox
DTXC7454 EXT/Brushless Evader Assembled Diff Gear
DTXC1595 10x15mm Ball Bearing (one for each side of new diff gear)
DTXC8092 EXT Idler Gear (use 5x10 bearings)
DTXC7457 EXT/Brushless Evader Dogbones
DTXC6179 EXT/Brushless Evader Axles
DTXC7337 Springs (goes on both ends of dogbones to keep centered)

I prefer the geared Brushless Evader tranny over the ball diff nowadays when using high power brushless motors. It's simple; tough, and less maintenance. Three years and counting... I haven't had to replace any of the bevel gears yet in the Brushless Evader gear diff. Heck, the only thing I had to replace in the gearbox was the bearings on the output joints. Spur gears will wear out though (I go through a spur gear every three months on the average). I'm not convinced 32P gears are needed if one takes the time to properly mesh the 48P pinion/spur gears. I use the old, but faithful dogbones & axles instead of the EXT/Brushless Evader CVDs to transfer the power to the wheels. Either way, the old Evader ST/ST Pro/Nitro ST universals/CVDs are not compatible with the newer diff output joints.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Optional Parts:
You can use the original Evader ST/EXT top shaft and slipper plates that are on the ST Pro as well, or get the new style of slipper like I did:

DTXC9622 Top Shaft Brushless Evader
DTXC9313 Brushless Evader Slipper Plates
DTXC9312 Slipper Pads Brushless Evader
DTXC9311 Spring/Locknut Brushless Evader
DTXC9418 Spur Gear Brushless Evader

Those optional parts are just that...optional. I run a lot of Associated RCs and the Brushless Evader Top Shaft/Slipper allows me to use my B4/T4/SC10 spur gears.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
I highly recommend disassembling the Brushless Evader Assembled Diff and clean the 8 screw holes well with cleaner (I use motor spray); then putting some Loctite (blue/medium) on all 8 of the little 2x5mm screws that hold the Assembled Diff Gear together before installing it into the gearbox (let the Loctite cure 24 hrs before using diff).
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	underhood19.jpg
Views:	488
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	2138993   Click image for larger version

Name:	diff.jpg
Views:	461
Size:	135.4 KB
ID:	2138995  

Last edited by RustyUs; 01-01-2016 at 01:32 PM. Reason: added link(s)
Old 01-01-2016, 06:13 AM
JMHZ2401

great info, thanks!!
Old 03-09-2016, 05:00 PM
RustyUs

Default First Run Of The Season

With a pack charged up and first day of 70*F weather around parts of PA; I thought I would bash the Evader's dirt off from the Fall season.

Needless to say, I got a lot of track ruts to groom...one grabbed a rear tire and away we went. Violent cart wheel just bent rear axle. I looked closer, and just the threaded part of the axle has the worst of it. It doesn't seem to affect wheel and tire vibration when I go full throttle. Who knows, maybe the axle was like that since it was new. I'll be sure to check the next batch of axles when they get put on.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4i3zbciGPo Hopefully I'll get to the paint booth (garage ) and get something new (body) on the Evader chassis for this year. I'm really lazy at painting. But my last airbrush attempt, after a 20+ year break from airbrushing, went better than I expected.
Old 03-22-2016, 02:54 PM
DieHarder

Yeah, that axle is definitely messed up, either from the factory or your accident. Mine don't look like that at all, I just checked. You should look at your other axle and see if it's the same way.

I too am just starting the running season. Ran the rock crawler and plow truck all winter long, but the Evader hasn't been out since like last November. I did a rip down of the gearbox to give it some fresh grease and inspection like I do every six months or so. When putting it back together, I stripped another threaded hole in the slipper plate (I stripped the hole 90* to this one awhile back). This is only a problem on the ST and EXT slippers, but since I stripped two consecutive holes, the spur can't be attached with more than one screw.

So I went on eBay and found a basically brand new Evader ST with the ever-so-rare ST box in what appeared to be perfect condition. I won the bid at $86.75 shipped and waited. Never showed up. I later got a refund from the guy after asking when the hell he shipped it because it wasn't here. He won't respond to his eBay messages. Urg...

Then my luck turned when I put a bid in this morning on two used (not heavily) Evaders with everything except the bodies, ESCs, motors, receivers, or boxes. So basically two rolling chassis with servos. One is a ST and the other is an EXT. I won the bid this afternoon and should get these first of next week.

I could have just bought a $12 slipper clutch set, but I've been interested in getting a roller or two for awhile now, since they discontinued the Evader series entirely and I'm figuring parts availability will be going downhill, maybe. It's also nice to have parts on hand and not have to wait for them. Should have plenty of parts for awhile once these trucks show up, all I need now is to pick up a couple Evader Brushless diffs/gears, EXT2 idlers, and maybe a body or two. It would be my dream to get a ST box if I could ever find one... (though I had it, that dumbass eBay seller scammed me)
With a pack charged up and first day of 70*F weather around parts of PA; I thought I would bash the Evader's dirt off from the Fall season.

Needless to say, I got a lot of track ruts to groom...one grabbed a rear tire and away we went. Violent cart wheel just bent rear axle. I looked closer, and just the threaded part of the axle has the worst of it. It doesn't seem to affect wheel and tire vibration when I go full throttle. Who knows, maybe the axle was like that since it was new. I'll be sure to check the next batch of axles when they get put on.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4i3zbciGPo Hopefully I'll get to the paint booth (garage ) and get something new (body) on the Evader chassis for this year. I'm really lazy at painting. But my last airbrush attempt, after a 20+ year break from airbrushing, went better than I expected.
Old 03-24-2016, 01:29 PM
RustyUs

Glad you got your money back from the bad eBay deal. I wonder if the seller had selling remorse and then never shipped it. Meh.

So you got some spare chassis' did ya? I'm sure you'll notice the difference in the stiffness of the plastics. They all have their purposes I guess, but I like the original ST plastics the best. That is, after I go through some Magnaflex parts, I have some ST arms to use. I don't know if I'll ever snap any of the Magnaflex stuff as I have yet to snap/break any Duratrax graphite parts...wear out yes...break any...no. I'm not a die hard "basher" who beats the living crap out of stuff by launching RCs to insane heights either.
Old 03-24-2016, 01:38 PM
RustyUs

Originally Posted by DieHarder
Yeah, that axle is definitely messed up, either from the factory or your accident. Mine don't look like that at all, I just checked. You should look at your other axle and see if it's the same way....
Other side...straight as can be. Who knows how long I had the "wobblely" axle. If I ran the truck on-road with slicks I may be concerned, but truck only sees off-road use.
Old 03-24-2016, 02:55 PM
DieHarder

Yeah, I think you might be right. It was either that or maybe he thought $86 wasn't enough. I wasn't super confident when I bid because he only had 17 transactions, but he did have a 100% rating. Not anymore though... hehe

I don't beat the snot out of my stuff either, pretty careful actually. lol I had no idea that they changed plastics between the models. Always bought EXT plastic parts because they were cheaper, is that why the ST plastics cost more for the same part? Like I said, the auction included both a ST (complete roller) and an EXT (also a complete roller), so I do have a choice. Although the EXT parts that I've been running haven't broken yet, but yeah, like you, I don't beat on my stuff too much. So I can't say I really put them to the test...
Glad you got your money back from the bad eBay deal. I wonder if the seller had selling remorse and then never shipped it. Meh.

So you got some spare chassis' did ya? I'm sure you'll notice the difference in the stiffness of the plastics. They all have their purposes I guess, but I like the original ST plastics the best. That is, after I go through some Magnaflex parts, I have some ST arms to use. I don't know if I'll ever snap any of the Magnaflex stuff as I have yet to snap/break any Duratrax graphite parts...wear out yes...break any...no. I'm not a die hard "basher" who beats the living crap out of stuff by launching RCs to insane heights either.
Old 03-27-2016, 01:20 PM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rusty, check your messages.
Old 03-28-2016, 02:52 PM
Deadlynightshade

Hey there people. I need help with my evader st that I converted to brushless, the problem is it'll run for 2 to 10 minutes then the spur gear clogs up. my setup is castle creations sidewinder 3 with a Duratrax element motor. now I think it is the slipper clutch because when I invert the slipper clutch it'll run again for 2 to 10 minutes, but then I'll have to invert the slipper clutch again.
Old 03-28-2016, 03:28 PM
RustyUs

Welcome to RCU.
Originally Posted by Deadlynightshade
... the problem is it'll run for 2 to 10 minutes then the spur gear clogs up. my setup is castle creations sidewinder 3 with a Duratrax element motor. now I think it is the slipper clutch because when I invert the slipper clutch it'll run again for 2 to 10 minutes, but then I'll have to invert the slipper clutch again.
I'm trying to make heads and tails from the above post.

Spur gear is clogged up with ...? Possible gear mesh issue...pinion/spur gear too tight?
You have an original ST? 'Cause I'm not quite following the whole "inverting" the slipper clutch thing. It only goes on one way.
Old 03-28-2016, 03:40 PM
RustyUs

Default Properly Set Gear Mesh

Originally Posted by Deadlynightshade
... the problem is it'll run for 2 to 10 minutes then the spur gear clogs up. ...
I have to ask: You are running a gear cover, right?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dmm5hQBfAyQ
Old 03-28-2016, 03:40 PM
Deadlynightshade

Welcome to RCU.

Spur gear is clogged up with ...? Possible gear mesh issue...pinion/spur gear too tight?
You have an original ST? 'Cause I'm not quite following the whole "inverting" the slipper clutch thing. It only goes on one way.
sorry for how i worded it. In short I had to swap out the gear box for the brushless one. and I decided to get a new spur gear in which the hole is too big
Old 03-28-2016, 03:41 PM
Deadlynightshade

I have to ask: You are running a gear cover, right?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dmm5hQBfAyQ
not yet I am still testing to see if it'll work then i"ll put it on.
Old 03-28-2016, 04:05 PM
Deadlynightshade

Welcome to RCU.

I once saw a video on YouTube for how to convert a evader 48p to 32p and that is how I got the idea for inverting the slipper https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egfarErnn4g

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.