Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

The Evader Coalition ~ T.E.C. Part 2.

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2011, 06:40 PM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default The Evader Coalition ~ T.E.C. Part 2.

The old thread was huge, it was beginning to be a drain on the servers. Continue here!
Old 11-13-2011, 07:06 PM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The Evader Coalition ~ T.E.C. Part 2.

1st poster

Im really hoping they either hardened this new top shaft gear or made it of a different material all together. Im thinking they surely did, because it wont last long in the new brushless evader if not and they will be replacing a lot of them.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...9622&search=Go

Edit- Here is the old "evader coalition" thread for those who want to go back and read it:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3856726/tm.htm
Old 11-13-2011, 07:14 PM
rclugnut10
My Feedback: (1)

well it is redesigned so hopefully it will be out of a better metal too, tho i've never had an issue with my top gears they could've changed something since the ext... maybe???

the lug
Old 11-13-2011, 07:48 PM
cummins driver

I surely hope so. Its going to be reason enough for me to buy a T4.1 if they dont have it changed. I never ran anything other than the stock tires, no real jarring of the driveline since i wasnt jumping much or anything. I noticed when i took it out last night it was sounding rougher than normal. I kept waiting for a ticking noise. Finally it started, then got worse and i quit because i knew what had happened. [&:]
Old 11-13-2011, 08:16 PM
shenlonco
My Feedback: (2)

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

yep the evader top gear ripping syndrome!!
I hardend mine myself and so far so good!
Old 11-13-2011, 09:59 PM
cummins driver

I was hoping yours was just a fluke and that mine wouldnt have that issue, but im afraid not. I dont know what to do about it. Im going to e-mail duratrax and see if they can give me any information on the new top gear/shaft and its material.
Old 11-14-2011, 01:12 AM
cumquat

its a metal gear designed to drive a plastic gear, thats why the original ext didnt have that issue. if you get the new top shaft, you also need the new slipper assembly as it uses the ae design.
Old 11-14-2011, 05:45 AM
shenlonco

ORIGINAL: cummins driver

I was hoping yours was just a fluke and that mine wouldnt have that issue, but im afraid not. I dont know what to do about it. Im going to e-mail duratrax and see if they can give me any information on the new top gear/shaft and its material.

Yea i would just give them a call... I would not get hopes to hight i bet they used the same metal there probably to stupid to notice brushless eats them away from guy's on boards always complaining about it.

But then again who knows maybe they did make it stronger ... I sure hope so!
Old 11-14-2011, 06:22 AM
cummins driver

Well I just got off the phone with duratrax. They are sending me a whole new assembled differential At least thats what he told me. Im very anxious to see if it happens to be the brushless one or not. Ill check the slipper setup when it comes in and see of its the regular or brushless tranny. It would be awesome if it were the brushless version, but im not getting my hopes up. haha

Anyways, cant complain with their customer service so far anyways, I just really wish they would get this transmission sorted out. Thats the only thing holding this truck back IMO. Tower has $25 off and free shipping right now, so its all i can do to keep myself from ordering the T4.1....
Old 11-14-2011, 07:03 AM
cummins driver

ORIGINAL: cumquat

its a metal gear designed to drive a plastic gear, thats why the original ext didnt have that issue.
Yep, that is the problem.

Has anyone tried running it with the optional aluminum idler to see if it gets chewed up or not still? Im guessing maybe both gears would wear in this case. Im sure a plastic idler would keep the top gear from wearing, but then im sure id be stripping the idlers left and right since they werent very strong.

I just shot duratrax an e-mail concerning the top gear. Ill see if they can give me any information or not.
Old 11-14-2011, 07:05 AM
rclugnut10
My Feedback: (1)

i've never had an issue with the top gear, i recently replaced one but i only have a few packs on it due to school and such... i stripped a few plastic gears on it, and then 2 of the aluminum got sharpened as well... the top gear was relatively unaffected. i'm just going to wait until the BL parts come out and slowly buy up those...

the lug
Old 11-14-2011, 07:15 AM
cummins driver

ORIGINAL: rclugnut10
i'm just going to wait until the BL parts come out and slowly buy up those...

the lug
I can handle waiting on the brushless parts if they are better, but im just worried the top gear may be of the same materials as the one we currently have. When my replacement transmission comes in, i think ill pull it apart and grease it up some. Could possibly help a little.
Old 11-14-2011, 10:17 AM
cumquat

even if it is, you can still pot gobs of grease in there without having to worry about softening the plastic gears. as they come, they are without much (if any) grease which is one of the issues. with grease, you shouldnt be making too many knife wheels.
Old 11-14-2011, 10:56 AM
Noff

The new top shaft is case hardened / black oxide coated.

For those with Evaders with a considerable amount of run-time, don't overlook plastic fatigue in your transmission housings if you are shearing gears in your transmission. A stretched / fatigued gearbox can cause the gears to be slightly out of alignment causing the gears to strip.
Old 11-14-2011, 02:20 PM
cummins driver

Thanks again for the info Noff. I was just fixing to pass it along here so that some of the other evader owners could be happy about having an upgraded top gear like I am. [8D]
Old 11-14-2011, 02:34 PM
shenlonco

cool glad DTX made a new updated gear!!
Old 11-15-2011, 01:26 AM
Scooter30

I was wondering if that thread would go on forever. I don't see how you could find anything in there with 800+ pages anyway.
Old 11-15-2011, 07:12 PM
NoTraxxisRustler

Ha! Itried the aluminum gear in my EXT. The top gear sharpened the teeth on that oneAND it cost $15.00.

I've gotta think that they did just a little research before releasing the Evader BL. Cripes I hope so at least . .

I've still got my EXT bc I did not want to shell the cashout for a new truck, bc ultimately, I'd have to buy one for my son. Both of ours have Associated diffs, mine is a ball diff and his is gear.They are great.

I have to say, it's kind of a downer to see people come on to this thread only to see their optimism wane when they start toasting trannies, etc.

If Duratrax was MY company, I'd be busting some chops. There are a lot of people that would spend $125.00 for a platform such as the EXT2 that they could build on.Most peopl don't want to swap tranniesand stuff. They'lll just run it til it breaks then put it on Ebay.

BTW - anyone seee that new sport truck from Thunder Tiger?? Looks like an Evader.

NTR

ORIGINAL: cummins driver

its a metal gear designed to drive a plastic gear, thats why the original ext didnt have that issue.
Yep, that is the problem.

Has anyone tried running it with the optional aluminum idler to see if it gets chewed up or not still? Im guessing maybe both gears would wear in this case. Im sure a plastic idler would keep the top gear from wearing, but then im sure id be stripping the idlers left and right since they werent very strong.

I just shot duratrax an e-mail concerning the top gear. Ill see if they can give me any information or not.
Old 11-15-2011, 07:42 PM
cumquat

what TT are you talking about?
Old 11-15-2011, 07:56 PM
cummins driver

ORIGINAL: NoTraxxisRustler

Ha! I tried the aluminum gear in my EXT. The top gear sharpened the teeth on that one AND it cost $15.00.

I've gotta think that they did just a little research before releasing the Evader BL. Cripes I hope so at least . .

I've still got my EXT bc I did not want to shell the cash out for a new truck, bc ultimately, I'd have to buy one for my son. Both of ours have Associated diffs, mine is a ball diff and his is gear. They are great.

I have to say, it's kind of a downer to see people come on to this thread only to see their optimism wane when they start toasting trannies, etc.

If Duratrax was MY company, I'd be busting some chops. There are a lot of people that would spend $125.00 for a platform such as the EXT2 that they could build on. Most peopl don't want to swap tranniesand stuff. They'lll just run it til it breaks then put it on Ebay.

BTW - anyone seee that new sport truck from Thunder Tiger?? Looks like an Evader.

NTR
I figured the aluminum idler wouldnt really be the fix. And im with you in that its not worth the $15 unless it was the ultimate fix.

I agree. The Evader platform is honestly probably unbeatable for the money. Its a race worthy chassis that holds up pretty well to bashing too, yet the transmission continues to be the one big flaw of the truck. It wasnt so bad back when everyone ran brushed motors, but now that brushless is very commonplace, the transmission is an area that needs to be pretty strong.

I do think that they may have finally come up with a solution now that the top gear is of a better material and the diff gear is going to be steel (i assume). This could save the evader from falling behind. Obviously they are still trying to keep it up to date by releasing a waterproof brushless version and updating the tranny again, so I have high hopes. They have good customer service, if they get the transmission upgraded (like i think they will), there really wont be any big weal links on the truck that i can see [8D]
Old 11-15-2011, 08:59 PM
cumquat

i'm iffy about the bl version because it costs the same as the t4.1 and reliability remains to be seen. the only way to tell is to drop the $50 or so for the updates.
Old 11-16-2011, 05:09 AM
cummins driver

i'm iffy about the bl version because it costs the same as the t4.1 and reliability remains to be seen. the only way to tell is to drop the $50 or so for the updates.
I think the brushless version is coming in a little too high. If they have all the bugs worked out of the transmission, it will be a good truck, but at that price, it has to compete with the brushless T4.1, which is a great truck. However, the evader being waterproof, and with the bumper and wheelie bar will appeal better to bashers. Time will tell.
Old 11-17-2011, 03:19 AM
NoTraxxisRustler

Phoenix STII Stadium Truck. 160 bucks. 2.4 G radio. "Race winning tranny"

what TT are you talking about?
Old 11-17-2011, 08:05 AM
cumquat

thats actually a t3 clone and was released a while ago.
Old 11-17-2011, 01:21 PM
ElectricGuy007

Im glad Duratrax is stepping up the plate and finally putting brushless in thier RTR RC's,
I assume they are thinking durability because they are also putting metal gears in the RTR's,

I use to buy duratrax products, never had one failure except once and it was my fault the product failed.
Not the product failing on it's own. What failed was a duratrax speed control, and that was because I plugged
a battery up to it backwards on accident seven years ago, DONT EVER THINK ABOUT DOING THAT... haha it will let out magic smoke...
What does everyone think about that brushless motorcycle they make? They look kinda cool I think.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.