Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

The Evader Coalition ~ T.E.C. Part 2.

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 08:38 PM
cumquat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The Evader Coalition ~ T.E.C. Part 2.

it's a project for his degree as i recall. not sure what his major is, but i'm guessing it's some sort of engineering.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:46 PM
rclugnut10
My Feedback: (1)

Yup, it's not towards my degree just for fun. I'm mechanical engineering. It's a full size sled. We have a 50s18p LiFe pack sits at 160v and holds 46.8Ah. Our motor pulls 37kW peak and puts down about 50HP our new build should hit ~50. It's pretty cool stuff...

the lug
Old 11-30-2012, 10:08 AM
EXT2Rob

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dang!  That's some serious juice!  engineering is fun.....
Old 11-30-2012, 05:01 PM
DieHarder

My dad is an engineer. Works at Thermotron in Holland. He designs testing chamber and shaker parts. If I ever need something for my rcs, I just ask him, and the hardwares here the next day!
Old 12-02-2012, 07:46 PM
DieHarder

Well, I finally recieved my Losi Micro Brushless SCT for christmas. I made an adapter, charged it up, ran it around a little bit, and decided something......It NEEDS a lipo badly. Nimh is just drained by the brushless motor in seconds doing speedruns. But for just racing arounda small track, it'll go for about a half an hour, but that's it. Been thinking about buying a 2S for myself for christmas or just asking for money to go buy one. One or the other.

Also, ran the evader today. Thought maybe I'd have put it away for the winter by now, but it hasn't really snowed. So after school, I take it out for a drift in the ol' sand pit, them blow to dirt off with an air compressor.I got thinking, though it may be hard with a 2wd truck, has anyone ever heard or tried putting a snow plow on the front of an evader for just like 1" or 2" of snow. Seems like I could plow the deck from inside while still having fun. Oh, and another thing. If this snow plow idea was possible, and if I went through with it, would the ESC, Motor, Receiver, Servo, and Battery (2S lipo) be able to stand the cold? Or are you not supposed to take them that cold?
Old 12-02-2012, 07:50 PM
rclugnut10

ORIGINAL: EXT2Rob

Dang! That's some serious juice! engineering is fun.....
Most of the time... tho learning it can be rough, but it's worth it being able to work on and understand projects like these fully.

And after e sled we had a big fire in the woods, and todays been catching up on sleep and homework...

the lug
Old 12-02-2012, 09:49 PM
Crash7772

ORIGINAL: DieHard1207

Well, I finally recieved my Losi Micro Brushless SCT for christmas. I made an adapter, charged it up, ran it around a little bit, and decided something......It NEEDS a lipo badly. Nimh is just drained by the brushless motor in seconds doing speedruns. But for just racing arounda small track, it'll go for about a half an hour, but that's it. Been thinking about buying a 2S for myself for christmas or just asking for money to go buy one. One or the other.[img][/img]

Also, ran the evader today. Thought maybe I'd have put it away for the winter by now, but it hasn't really snowed. So after school, I take it out for a drift in the ol' sand pit, them blow to dirt off with an air compressor.[img][/img] I got thinking, though it may be hard with a 2wd truck, has anyone ever heard or tried putting a snow plow on the front of an evader for just like 1'' or 2'' of snow. Seems like I could plow the deck from inside while still having fun. Oh, and another thing. If this snow plow idea was possible, and if I went through with it, would the ESC, Motor, Receiver, Servo, and Battery (2S lipo) be able to stand the cold? Or are you not supposed to take them that cold?
I think you would put way to much stress on the drivetrain personally and lipo's don't love the cold.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:54 PM
rclugnut10

Well, I finally recieved my Losi Micro Brushless SCT for christmas. I made an adapter, charged it up, ran it around a little bit, and decided something......It NEEDS a lipo badly. Nimh is just drained by the brushless motor in seconds doing speedruns. But for just racing arounda small track, it'll go for about a half an hour, but that's it. Been thinking about buying a 2S for myself for christmas or just asking for money to go buy one. One or the other.[img][/img]

Also, ran the evader today. Thought maybe I'd have put it away for the winter by now, but it hasn't really snowed. So after school, I take it out for a drift in the ol' sand pit, them blow to dirt off with an air compressor.[img][/img] I got thinking, though it may be hard with a 2wd truck, has anyone ever heard or tried putting a snow plow on the front of an evader for just like 1'' or 2'' of snow. Seems like I could plow the deck from inside while still having fun. Oh, and another thing. If this snow plow idea was possible, and if I went through with it, would the ESC, Motor, Receiver, Servo, and Battery (2S lipo) be able to stand the cold? Or are you not supposed to take them that cold?
must've missed this, i've seen snowplows done before and you'd need to gear down a bit probabally, but your main issue especailly on a deck is going to be traction. Since the wood will be nice and frosted over without studded tires you'll be hard pressed to get the grip. And batteries don't mind the cold as long as you don't let them get cold, ie just run them batteries are a chemical reaction and put off heat as the reaction occurs thats why the cells get warm/hot. this process heats up the cells to optimal running conditions so as long as you stress the packs enough you won't have an issue, and normal running should do this. A 4wd would be better suited just for the improved traction/drive force...

the lug
Old 12-03-2012, 12:38 AM
cumquat

i didnt do it with an evader but i did try something to the effect of a plow on a custom chassis a few years ago. didnt work too well but mainly because i was running foam tires (all i had that cleared the chassis). one issue you may incounter is snow sticking to the tires. cant tell you how many times i had developed 8"+ snow wheels. if you have a hand drill you should be able to rig something up that uses the front bumper mounting holes. something like 16 gauge sheet metal should be thick enough to offer decent strength without being too heavy or hard to work with.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:17 AM
DieHarder

Wish I had a Kyosho Blizzard!

Old 12-03-2012, 12:03 PM
Crash7772

Clod Buster would be nice for a plow setup. 4WD/4WS and can move a lot of weight in stock form.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGwCyJ32UTE
Old 12-04-2012, 10:46 AM
egbasher

The cold shouldn't be a problem but the heat from the motor and ESC could turn snow into water and electronics don't like water. i fried an ESC by going through one little puddle. So if you're going to try it, waterproof your ESC and receiver.

Also, ran the evader today. Thought maybe I'd have put it away for the winter by now, but it hasn't really snowed. So after school, I take it out for a drift in the ol' sand pit, them blow to dirt off with an air compressor.I got thinking, though it may be hard with a 2wd truck, has anyone ever heard or tried putting a snow plow on the front of an evader for just like 1" or 2" of snow. Seems like I could plow the deck from inside while still having fun. Oh, and another thing. If this snow plow idea was possible, and if I went through with it, would the ESC, Motor, Receiver, Servo, and Battery (2S lipo) be able to stand the cold? Or are you not supposed to take them that cold?
Old 12-05-2012, 01:22 PM
DieHarder

Yeah, my ESC, Motor, and servo are all water proof. I'm still running the stock reciever. It just doesn't die.(Kinda glad though, I don't have the extra money to buy a new one. Even if it is just a 2-channel.) I have to Venom 2S 5000mah 40C Hardcase. Are the hardcases waterproof? I ask that because I see alot of people who go mud running and hydro plaining with their rcs. (Mainly the Traxxas vehicles.) Do those traxxas trucks have a water-proof battery compartment for them to be able to do that?Just wondering because I see alot of that.
ORIGINAL: egbasher

The cold shouldn't be a problem but the heat from the motor and ESC could turn snow into water and electronics don't like water. i fried an ESC by going through one little puddle. So if you're going to try it, waterproof your ESC and receiver.

Old 12-05-2012, 01:28 PM
rclugnut10

Yeah, my ESC, Motor, and servo are all water proof. I'm still running the stock reciever. It just doesn't die.[img][/img] (Kinda glad though, I don't have the extra money to buy a new one. Even if it is just a 2-channel.) I have to Venom 2S 5000mah 40C Hardcase. Are the hardcases waterproof? I ask that because I see alot of people who go mud running and hydro plaining with their rcs. (Mainly the Traxxas vehicles.) Do those traxxas trucks have a water-proof battery compartment for them to be able to do that?[img][/img] Just wondering because I see alot of that.

no they don't have a water proof battery box, what you can do to help is put some silicone around all of the openings so water can't get into the cells... the only packs that i know of that are waterproof stock are maxamps but they're so overpriced it's not worth a tube of silicone and 5 min...

the lug
Old 12-05-2012, 11:09 PM
egbasher

I agree with the lug. A little Plumbers Goop should seal it good enough. I don't think you need to worry much about the battery. It's the components with circuit boards that are vulnerable.

Yeah, my ESC, Motor, and servo are all water proof. I'm still running the stock reciever. It just doesn't die.(Kinda glad though, I don't have the extra money to buy a new one. Even if it is just a 2-channel.) I have to Venom 2S 5000mah 40C Hardcase. Are the hardcases waterproof? I ask that because I see alot of people who go mud running and hydro plaining with their rcs. (Mainly the Traxxas vehicles.) Do those traxxas trucks have a water-proof battery compartment for them to be able to do that?Just wondering because I see alot of that.

Old 12-06-2012, 07:11 PM
DieHarder

Thanks guys...Sooo...What's everyone doing for the weekend? I'll just be doing what I always do...Watching Lions lose the game when their ahead in the last 2:00 of the 4th quarter. And running my Evader, Micro Brushless SCT, and possibly the MCX2. Not planning on going outdoors too much with this constant 40 degree weather. I rather catch up on playing GT4.[8D] 
Old 12-06-2012, 07:13 PM
rclugnut10

last weekend of the semester... so nothing fun except a hockey game friday night... nothing fun until thrusday at 3... and then i'm free and i'm sure i'll be able to get some trigger time...
Old 12-07-2012, 10:04 AM
EXT2Rob

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Idunno, EGbasher. I would think water getting into a battery would not be good.  isn't that what people do to used-up batts before they toss them?  Soak 'em in a bucket of water?  Maybe it's SALT water?

Great day of bash-racing yesterday, despite damp conditions. (Foggy, damp air and wet grass) (STAY OFF THE GRASS!)  But track conditions were EXCELLENT!  We had a great day, didn't break anything, and had some real good wheel-to-wheel racing!  EGbasher finally got his "second-car" Evader dialed in and running fast with excellent handling, and I was running my second car as well.  We're both REALLY happy with our Evaders, now that we've got them toughened-up.  They are amazing little cars and take an incredible amount of abuse. Nice to have great power yet not have to worry about the tranny anymore. The all metal diff and upgraded drive-pins have made the Evader tranny bullet-proof. (As long as you're not running a 1/8scale 150A motor system, which is WAY over-kill and asking to break something) Our little EZrun 35A 380-sized motor systems produce plen-ty of power for these light, 2wd trucks. Matching it with 40C Lipo packs gives us all the power we need to pull mid-run wheelies.  I'd been running a basic, flat, RPM bumper on the front of the car, but recently switched to the new Evader bumper (a very good design).  So I took the RPM bumper and mounted it to the rear chassis plate.  Now it acts as a rear bumper/wheelie-bar and really takes the abuse of an endo or cartwheel off of the rear axles and body.  Doesn't seem to interfere with or get hung up on anything.  Even helps landing nose-high jumps.  Now I just have to clean off all the mud!
Old 12-07-2012, 03:26 PM
DieHarder

Good for you! I went into the hobby shop today (Cobblestone Crafts and Hobbies) because I wanted to get a lipo for my Losi Micro Brushless SCT. It's running a 4.8v 220mah and it dies after about 10 minutes. So from what I've heard, brushless motors don't drain the power out of lipos like they do to NiMhs, right? So after 15min of waiting around for service (Busy for Christmas, I guess[:@]), I finally got a 2S on order. I was just filling out the form when mom dragged me out because she needed to pick up my sisters.[:@] So just before she pulled me out, I handed my form to Rose (Bob's wife) and told her that I'd be back to finish filling it out.

After I got back, I finished filling it out and then I asked Chris (Only employee available) about how I'm shearing off wheel pins. (Every run, one shears) He tried looking it up, and thought that I meant hinge pins. So I had to straighten him out.Finally, he was so confused, he justed asked me to get the part number and call it in over the phone.[] Well, then I said, you have a book of manuals right over there that would have the part number in it. But he just completely ignores me and tells me again, "Get the part number please".[:@] So at that point I just said fine and left. Once I got home, I looked it up, and called it in like he asked. Turns out, theres really nothing else I can do.[:@][:@][:@] So I think I'll just make my own out of drill bits. But if that doesn't work well, I still have the pins on order just in case. The new pins might be stronger, because I had the original pins in when they sheared off. And the ones I tried to replace to old ones with were older and they sheared off. So I don't know.[&:] Guess I'll try the drill bits first.

Old 12-08-2012, 12:18 AM
egbasher

Yup, EXT2Rob, I agree. A great day of bashing. I'd say we were lucky we didn't short anything out considering how wet it was. I finally got the original EXT2 dialed in. What a difference the right pinion size makes. I think I have found the sweet spot. That car has never perfomed like it did yesterday. I'm sure the track conditions had something to do with it, but what fun. 40C batteries are the way to go. Fifty foot wheelies and the diffs held. Gotta love evaders.
Old 12-08-2012, 12:25 AM
egbasher

Are you shearing them on your evader?

Chris sounds like the kind of employee bosses love to fire. What a jerk.

Good for you! I went into the hobby shop today (Cobblestone Crafts and Hobbies) because I wanted to get a lipo for my Losi Micro Brushless SCT. It's running a 4.8v 220mah and it dies after about 10 minutes. So from what I've heard, brushless motors don't drain the power out of lipos like they do to NiMhs, right? So after 15min of waiting around for service (Busy for Christmas, I guess[:@]), I finally got a 2S on order. I was just filling out the form when mom dragged me out because she needed to pick up my sisters.[:@] So just before she pulled me out, I handed my form to Rose (Bob's wife) and told her that I'd be back to finish filling it out.

After I got back, I finished filling it out and then I asked Chris (Only employee available) about how I'm shearing off wheel pins. (Every run, one shears) He tried looking it up, and thought that I meant hinge pins. So I had to straighten him out.Finally, he was so confused, he justed asked me to get the part number and call it in over the phone.[] Well, then I said, you have a book of manuals right over there that would have the part number in it. But he just completely ignores me and tells me again, "Get the part number please".[:@] So at that point I just said fine and left. Once I got home, I looked it up, and called it in like he asked. Turns out, theres really nothing else I can do.[:@][:@][:@] So I think I'll just make my own out of drill bits. But if that doesn't work well, I still have the pins on order just in case. The new pins might be stronger, because I had the original pins in when they sheared off. And the ones I tried to replace to old ones with were older and they sheared off. So I don't know.[&:] Guess I'll try the drill bits first.

Old 12-08-2012, 11:34 AM
cumquat

Yup, EXT2Rob, I agree. A great day of bashing. I'd say we were lucky we didn't short anything out considering how wet it was. I finally got the original EXT2 dialed in. What a difference the right pinion size makes. I think I have found the sweet spot. That car has never perfomed like it did yesterday. I'm sure the track conditions had something to do with it, but what fun. 40C batteries are the way to go. Fifty foot wheelies and the diffs held. Gotta love evaders.
you know what's more fun than 50 foot wheelies? 50 yard wheelies that's on a plastic diff too! i really need to get one running again... this time with the new top shaft and diff.
Old 12-08-2012, 05:58 PM
DieHarder

Yeah, I'm just running it like normal, and then I see a jump. So I give it a little throttle to hit the jump, and it just gives and barely rolls over the jump. And then I can't accelerate, unless I hold in the throttle for a minute. So I take the wheel off, and find that it's sheared clear off. Yes, Chris is a real jerk.

Hey cumquat, whens the last time you ran your evader?

Old 12-09-2012, 09:54 AM
egbasher

Have you tried making a pin out of music wire. It's harder than the tension pins dtx uses. It's actually harder than the axles-they wear out before the music wire. Haven't had one break since EXT2Rob discovered the trick You can get it at your LHS. It's cheap. A couple of bucks buys you enough for 50 pins. Not sure what size wire. Bring an axle with you and size it. That solved our drive pins shearing problem.

Yeah, I'm just running it like normal, and then I see a jump. So I give it a little throttle to hit the jump, and it just gives and barely rolls over the jump. And then I can't accelerate, unless I hold in the throttle for a minute. So I take the wheel off, and find that it's sheared clear off. Yes, Chris is a real jerk.

Hey cumquat, whens the last time you ran your evader?

Old 12-09-2012, 09:56 AM
egbasher

Fifty yards would be awesome but I don't have the room. Gotta slow down for the next turn!
ORIGINAL: cumquat

you know what's more fun than 50 foot wheelies? 50 yard wheelies that's on a plastic diff too! i really need to get one running again... this time with the new top shaft and diff.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.