RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

The Evader Coalition ~ T.E.C. Part 2.

Reply
Old 12-13-2012, 09:56 AM
  #1026
jk47
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: apopka, FL
Posts: 74
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: The Evader Coalition ~ T.E.C. Part 2.

That 2800kv motor is basicaly an 1/8 motor and while it doesn't spin all that fast i'd be running 17t pinion to 50t spur which should be more power and the same top end as your 5700kv motor, so that combined with 1/8 buggy tires and I think would be a bit too much either for my diff or that topshaft gear. I'm trying to ensure a bullet proof tranny, so while the b2 gear would prolly hold up, I'm not convinced. I might try my stock tranny for a few runs but I doubt it will last.
jk47 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:55 AM
  #1027
cumquat
 
cumquat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: kalamazoo, MI
Posts: 6,812
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: The Evader Coalition ~ T.E.C. Part 2.

um, there is quite a few differences between a 540 (1/10 scale) and 775 (1/8 scale) motor. for one, if it is actually a 1/8 scale motor, you'll need to at very least drill new holes to mount the motor to the plate. second, they all use 5mm shafts, so a standard pinion wont fit. 3rd, most require 4s to operate properly. and 4th, you will NOT be able to keep the front end down. if this is your motor http://www.hobbypartz.com/96m214-3674-2800kv-6t.html , it's not 1/8 scale, it's just a lengthened 540, basically a short course motor. still, you will need a pinion with a 5mm hole but guessing by the conversion to 32p, i presume you know that. one warning on that motor, it draws a lot of power. more than most any 1/10 scale esc can supply. i still stand by the statement that the front might as well have ailerons on it. that's the only criticism i have, the rest seems promising. good luck!
cumquat is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:34 PM
  #1028
jk47
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: apopka, FL
Posts: 74
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: The Evader Coalition ~ T.E.C. Part 2.

That is the motor i'm going to use. I no its not really an 1/8 motor. I was just trying to explain that it is a fair bit torquier than a 5700kv 540.  Yeah keeping the those front wheels down seems to be a troublesome task. I'm mostly running on a golf course (shhhh! )so maybe the limited traction will help...
jk47 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:20 PM
  #1029
cumquat
 
cumquat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: kalamazoo, MI
Posts: 6,812
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: The Evader Coalition ~ T.E.C. Part 2.

if you zip by and plow their balls into the hole, they wont mind
cumquat is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:21 PM
  #1030
EXT2Rob
 
EXT2Rob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Placerville, CA
Posts: 3,054
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: The Evader Coalition ~ T.E.C. Part 2.

DANG.  I wish those Nitro Evader CVDs would fit in an EXT. Bet they'd hold up better than the EXT CVDs.  Then again, maybe not!  I just noticed that the axle dia on the nitro CV is slightly smaller, hence, I'd suspect they'd break just as readily as the ones I have.  Feh!
EXT2Rob is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:36 PM
  #1031
egbasher
 
egbasher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Elk Grove, CA
Posts: 163
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: The Evader Coalition ~ T.E.C. Part 2.

I'll bet it's your wheel. It only takes one slip between the wheel and the pin to round off the edges of the slots in the wheel. You did remember to put in the spacer behind the pin. That provides the space for the wheel to slip on and get the pin deep enough in the grooves so it won't slip and rip. Hope this helps.
Quote:
ORIGINAL: DieHard1207

Ya, I know what ya mean. Just took it out for a run, and I got 4 feet, and the left axle started slipping.[:@]I don't know if I sheared it off, or it wrecked the wheel, or maybe I cut the drill bit pins too short. I don't know. I'm just toolazy and it's toowet for me to take it apart and find out right now. I guess I'll take it apart when it drys off. I'm sick of it being so muddy outside with these morning snows and then later the sun comes out and melts it all making puddlesof crap all over.[:@]If it's gonna snow, SNOW!!! But if it isn't, just let everything be DRY!!!! I hate this half-snow junk.[:@][:@][:@]

Sorry if I sound angery and that I have negative opinions lately, I'm just mad because I spent 1/2 hour of struggling time perfecting those stupid make-shift pins and they are falty right from the start. I hope that everyone is not baffled by what I said and this ends up being the last post here for the next week. I'm just having one of those bad (awful, retarded, crappy, most hated) days.[]
egbasher is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:51 PM
  #1032
egbasher
 
egbasher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Elk Grove, CA
Posts: 163
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: The Evader Coalition ~ T.E.C. Part 2.

I dunno, but my dogbones and the ext2 CV's both fit my brushless metal diff. I ordered the diff separately but I assume it's the same one that comes with the brusless evader car.

Quote:
ORIGINAL: DieHard1207

Yes, just what I said. (you posted while I was typing.) But yeah, the balls on the ends of the dogbones are too big for the Evader Brushless tranny. The CV shafts only work on the ST diff outdrives.I wish I could run CVs.
Quote:
ORIGINAL: jk47

Rclug, arn't the out drives smaller on the ext, ext2 and brushless diffs? Or is that just the ext? If they are the stock shafts won't work.[]
egbasher is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 05:58 AM
  #1033
DieHarder
 
DieHarder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Grand Haven, MI
Posts: 2,969
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: The Evader Coalition ~ T.E.C. Part 2.

Dang!!! I totally forgot that spacer!That's probably my whole stinkin problem!!! URRRRGGGHHHHH!!! No wonder it sliped. My wheel isn't completely wrecked, and I do have a spare wheel with the right mounted tire. Man, I am so mad that I forgot that!!! URRGH! Thanks for reminding me, I probably would have went out and spent another $20 on a new pair of tires soon.Thanks again!
Quote:
ORIGINAL: egbasher

I'll bet it's your wheel. It only takes one slip between the wheel and the pin to round off the edges of the slots in the wheel. You did remember to put in the spacer behind the pin. That provides the space for the wheel to slip on and get the pin deep enough in the grooves so it won't slip and rip. Hope this helps.
Quote:
ORIGINAL: DieHard1207

Ya, I know what ya mean. Just took it out for a run, and I got 4 feet, and the left axle started slipping.[:@]I don't know if I sheared it off, or it wrecked the wheel, or maybe I cut the drill bit pins too short. I don't know. I'm just toolazy and it's toowet for me to take it apart and find out right now. I guess I'll take it apart when it drys off. I'm sick of it being so muddy outside with these morning snows and then later the sun comes out and melts it all making puddlesof crap all over.[:@]If it's gonna snow, SNOW!!! But if it isn't, just let everything be DRY!!!! I hate this half-snow junk.[:@][:@][:@]

Sorry if I sound angery and that I have negative opinions lately, I'm just mad because I spent 1/2 hour of struggling time perfecting those stupid make-shift pins and they are falty right from the start. I hope that everyone is not baffled by what I said and this ends up being the last post here for the next week. I'm just having one of those bad (awful, retarded, crappy, most hated) days.[]
DieHarder is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:20 PM
  #1034
egbasher
 
egbasher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Elk Grove, CA
Posts: 163
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: The Evader Coalition ~ T.E.C. Part 2.

Glad to help. Don't be too hard on yourself Diehard. The only reason I thought of it is because I did the same thing!
Quote:
ORIGINAL: DieHard1207

Dang!!! I totally forgot that spacer!That's probably my whole stinkin problem!!! URRRRGGGHHHHH!!! No wonder it sliped. My wheel isn't completely wrecked, and I do have a spare wheel with the right mounted tire. Man, I am so mad that I forgot that!!! URRGH! Thanks for reminding me, I probably would have went out and spent another $20 on a new pair of tires soon.Thanks again!
Quote:
ORIGINAL: egbasher

I'll bet it's your wheel. It only takes one slip between the wheel and the pin to round off the edges of the slots in the wheel. You did remember to put in the spacer behind the pin. That provides the space for the wheel to slip on and get the pin deep enough in the grooves so it won't slip and rip. Hope this helps.
Quote:
ORIGINAL: DieHard1207

Ya, I know what ya mean. Just took it out for a run, and I got 4 feet, and the left axle started slipping.[:@]I don't know if I sheared it off, or it wrecked the wheel, or maybe I cut the drill bit pins too short. I don't know. I'm just toolazy and it's toowet for me to take it apart and find out right now. I guess I'll take it apart when it drys off. I'm sick of it being so muddy outside with these morning snows and then later the sun comes out and melts it all making puddlesof crap all over.[:@]If it's gonna snow, SNOW!!! But if it isn't, just let everything be DRY!!!! I hate this half-snow junk.[:@][:@][:@]

Sorry if I sound angery and that I have negative opinions lately, I'm just mad because I spent 1/2 hour of struggling time perfecting those stupid make-shift pins and they are falty right from the start. I hope that everyone is not baffled by what I said and this ends up being the last post here for the next week. I'm just having one of those bad (awful, retarded, crappy, most hated) days.[]
egbasher is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 04:13 PM
  #1035
DieHarder
 
DieHarder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Grand Haven, MI
Posts: 2,969
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: The Evader Coalition ~ T.E.C. Part 2.

Well today (Like all Fridays), I went in to the LHS and picked up my lipo for my Losi Micro Brushless SCT that I ordered. And taking EXT2Rob's idea, I bought (2) 3ft peices of music wire that was the right diameter. (That stuff is hard! I think I'll have to get some bigger wire cutters from the garage to cut that stuff. Or do I use a hand saw?) I was just about to walk out, when I noticed that the balancing plug on the lipo wouldn't work with my balance block. So I talked to Bob about it, and he spent 1/2 hour trying to find out what kind of adapter to use. He finally came up with an Eflite wire set that would work....But it was $11.99 for just 4 wires and 2 connectors!!! It turns out that I charge it through the balancing cable. I finally got out of there after taking a $20 loan from my sister to pay for part of the battery, the music wire, and the adapter.[:@]But $20 won't be too hard to get...I don't think.So tonight I'll try to make some wheel pins, AND be SURE to put those spacers behind them!!!
DieHarder is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 09:07 PM
  #1036
cumquat
 
cumquat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: kalamazoo, MI
Posts: 6,812
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: The Evader Coalition ~ T.E.C. Part 2.

that's what siblings are for, walking ATMs of course i'm usually the one with money
cumquat is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:22 PM
  #1037
Crash7772
 
Crash7772's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ashland, NH
Posts: 184
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: The Evader Coalition ~ T.E.C. Part 2.


Quote:
ORIGINAL: jk47

That 2800kv motor is basicaly an 1/8 motor and while it doesn't spin all that fast i'd be running 17t pinion to 50t spur which should be more power and the same top end as your 5700kv motor, so that combined with 1/8 buggy tires and I think would be a bit too much either for my diff or that topshaft gear. I'm trying to ensure a bullet proof tranny, so while the b2 gear would prolly hold up, I'm not convinced. I might try my stock tranny for a few runs but I doubt it will last.
Mine runs around 40 (conservative guess) on 2s and hopefully 80+ on 3's (and the motor can take 4's but that's pushing the limit of the motor). I do understand that lower kv generally creates more torque but on 2s but as far as I know the lower the kv on the same voltage runs much less rpms. I don't think you'll be pushing it to much as a standard 1/8th scale tires is roughly 4.6". Mine does wheelies easy on 2s so I made a wheelie bar and also have some weight to add to the front when 3s go in. I'm currently running Mamba Max 5700kv (punch control on max), Gens Ace 40c 2s, 24 pinion, 81 spur, AE slipper mod, B2 diff w/carbide balls, Jaco foams, and EXT metal idler in a Evader Pro ST. But will be changing gearing when going to 3s but below are theoretical numbers. Running the same math with the gearing you said and figuring the 4.6" tire height you should be close to 40 which is pretty fast for a basher type setup (I think my Boss would kill me if I took mine out on the golf course though....lol).


Rollout 1.18.1
Total Motor Speed 47880rpm(2s)71820 (3s)95760 (4s)
Theoretical Maximum Vehicle Speed 53.555mph (2s)80.32 (3s)107.1 (4s)
Crash7772 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 07:26 PM
  #1038
DieHarder
 
DieHarder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Grand Haven, MI
Posts: 2,969
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: The Evader Coalition ~ T.E.C. Part 2.

Well, I made some wheel pins about an hour ago. They turned out better than I thought they would. I haven't gotten a chance to try them out yet due to rains and severe down pours. [img]/forum/js/punymce/plugins/emoticons/img/trans.gif[/img] Here are some pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Jg14261.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	255.5 KB
ID:	1830507   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq48006.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	273.0 KB
ID:	1830508   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf14303.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	265.3 KB
ID:	1830509  
DieHarder is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 07:28 PM
  #1039
DieHarder
 
DieHarder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Grand Haven, MI
Posts: 2,969
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: The Evader Coalition ~ T.E.C. Part 2.

 I apologize for the screwed up post...Just ignore the URLs and other things that don't make sense.[:@]
DieHarder is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 08:18 AM
  #1040
EXT2Rob
 
EXT2Rob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Placerville, CA
Posts: 3,054
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: The Evader Coalition ~ T.E.C. Part 2.

Good catch, EGbasher!  Yep, gotta have them spacers.
DH, yeah that music wire is tough stuff. I'd imagine that it would dent your average pair of wire cutters. I use a Dremel, or in a pinch, screw cutters. (You know, one of those plier/stripper tools that has threaded holes for various size screws, that allow you to cut screws to length.)  Just remember to carefully apply a little blue loctite to the pin.  They don't fit tightly and tend to fall out upon removing the wheel.
EXT2Rob is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 10:29 AM
  #1041
DieHarder
 
DieHarder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Grand Haven, MI
Posts: 2,969
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: The Evader Coalition ~ T.E.C. Part 2.

Hey, you were right EXT2Rob! I just went out and bashed the heck out of my Evader just to test it. (I swear, that thing has been to hell and back.) It held up perfectly well! Thanks for the fix! I do have a question. I have the spacers, but there is no room for one behind the pin. It's like the axles aren't long enough, or the hub carriers are too thick. The hub carriers are the original ST. But the axles are EXT2. The space between the hub carrier bearing and the pin is so small that I can't even fit a 0.0012 washer in there. I have tried pushing the bearings together farther, but I think they're all the way together. Do you have any idea on what's wrong?
DieHarder is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 09:51 PM
  #1042
egbasher
 
egbasher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Elk Grove, CA
Posts: 163
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: The Evader Coalition ~ T.E.C. Part 2.

Glad you got it running DieHard. I'd say take out the bearings and clean them and the hubs real good. Maybe there's something preventing a bearing from fully seating. If that doesn't work then I probably is the ST hubs. WIthout a spacer you must be running the wheel pins right near the edge of the wheel slot. I've munched a couple of wheels when the hub nut backed off a bit and that was with a spacer.
egbasher is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 07:56 PM
  #1043
DieHarder
 
DieHarder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Grand Haven, MI
Posts: 2,969
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: The Evader Coalition ~ T.E.C. Part 2.

Well, I took apart my evader's hub carrier bearings and found that when I assembled it, I actually had 4 of those spacers that go behind the pin, and I put 2 of them between the two bearings and the center spacer. So I took those out, and reassembled it, and sure enough, the spacers fit behind the pins! I can now tighten my wheel nuts all the way with the wheel still spinning freely. Thanks again egbasher!
DieHarder is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:51 AM
  #1044
egbasher
 
egbasher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Elk Grove, CA
Posts: 163
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: The Evader Coalition ~ T.E.C. Part 2.

Happy i could help DH. Life's a b*tch. Ya get a car running good and then winter hits...
egbasher is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 02:14 PM
  #1045
DieHarder
 
DieHarder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Grand Haven, MI
Posts: 2,969
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: The Evader Coalition ~ T.E.C. Part 2.

Yeah. Do you and EXT2Rob get much snow out there in California? It looks like a green Christmas this year.[] But if it's not too cold, and it actually stays dry, I might just not put my lipos in storage mode and just run them as much as possible. Kinda hoping for snow though to go snowmobiling in.
DieHarder is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:31 PM
  #1046
egbasher
 
egbasher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Elk Grove, CA
Posts: 163
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: The Evader Coalition ~ T.E.C. Part 2.

Up in the Sierra Nevada Mts. it snows a lot. I live down in the central valley near Sacramento. It rarely snows here. EXT2Rob lives up in the foothills around 1500 feel elevation. He gets snow about once a year but just an inch or two and it usually melts in a day. The real snow starts around 5000 feet in elevation and Lake Tahoe (around 6500 ft.) gets lots of the white stuff. We're lucky. We pretty much can race all year although ya really gotta watch motor temps during the summer.
egbasher is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 07:20 PM
  #1047
DieHarder
 
DieHarder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Grand Haven, MI
Posts: 2,969
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: The Evader Coalition ~ T.E.C. Part 2.

Yeah. How hot does it get in the summer?
DieHarder is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:58 PM
  #1048
egbasher
 
egbasher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Elk Grove, CA
Posts: 163
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: The Evader Coalition ~ T.E.C. Part 2.

Usually in the 90's. We get heat waves of 4 or 5 days in a row in the 100's a couple times each summer. When the air temp is 90 the track temp can easily be 125. CA sun is hot!
egbasher is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 08:54 AM
  #1049
EXT2Rob
 
EXT2Rob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Placerville, CA
Posts: 3,054
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: The Evader Coalition ~ T.E.C. Part 2.

Yes indeed.  Summers get hot, but at least not HUMID hot like Michigan gets, huh DH?  But even "dry heat" can get pretty miserable when it's over 100.  What I call "a-hundred-an-shoot-me".  Those days you gotta find shade to stand in an wear sunscreen.  And usually gear down a tooth or two to keep motor temps in check.

But yesterday, the ground started out crunchy. Frosty and a cold 32 degrees.  But at least it was clear and the sun warmed up the track and air.  Started out kinda muddy, but as the day wore on, the track got drier, but kept the perfect amount of moisture, giving us great traction and a great race day.  Albeit, a little shorter. Once the sun dropped below the horizon, it was too cold so we called it a day.  Traction must've been high, as I snapped one of my CV axles!  Snapped off right where the shaft meets the CV joint.  I think I'm going back to using the stock dogbones/axles.  They hold up better and are a lot cheaper. The difference in efficiency probably isn't significant.  I've broken two of those CVs in the last two months, and at $17/pr, I think I'll go back to stock.

But I'll tell you what, guys, if you think you need a little more power and going 3S is just too much, stay with 2S but get a higher C-rating!  EGbasher an I have been running 25-30C Lipos, but we just picked up a couple 40C Gens Ace batts. The difference in performance is like you just got a whole new motor!  You know how your car drives with a freshly-charged battery in it?  That's what a 40C is like for the whole runtime!  Mid-range power is punchier and the top-end is a little higher. Our 18mo old LiPos have lost half their capacity and runtime. Probably about time to replace them.  We didn't care for them quite properly, leaving them sit fully charged most of the time. 
EXT2Rob is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 07:38 PM
  #1050
DieHarder
 
DieHarder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Grand Haven, MI
Posts: 2,969
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: The Evader Coalition ~ T.E.C. Part 2.

It doesn't get HUMID...it's just gets a little humid. But we have central air![8D] Besides, in the summer, it doesn't get dark till 10pm. And by that time it's well cooled off. Just the right temps to run evaders!! So whats everyone got planned for the weekend? I'm going south to Kalamazoo for my aunt's Christmas party. I asked her for a pair of slippers, and for (6) Elfite battery packs for my MCX2. Can't wait to run that thing. The lipos went bad months ago when I left them laying around fully charged.[:@] 
DieHarder is online now  
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 04:17 PM.