Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

The Evader Coalition ~ T.E.C. Part 2.

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 03:56 PM
DieHarder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The Evader Coalition ~ T.E.C. Part 2.

I'm gonna pull the electronics from my Evader because it has too big of a motor. (550) Later, I plan on replacing my Evader's electronics with a Castle Sidewinder system. I'm also gonna buy a 3-channel receiver and transmitter to put in the Savage, then put the receiver and transmitter that I pulled from Evader back in the Evader. I will also Have to buy another servo to put in the Evader.

So what's going to be in the Savage, is the same electronics that are in the Evader. So Later I will buy enough electronics for both of them.

Here is what is in my Evader currently:
ESC:Traxxas Velenion 3S
Motor:Traxxas Velenion 3S 3500kv Brushless
Servo: Hi-Tec 180oz
Receiver: Stock 2 Channel
Old 01-31-2013, 08:07 AM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You know, me an EGbasher have both had Sidewinder Sv2s in our 'vaders, and they didn't last long. I think the ESCs are kinda weak.  They are also NOT water-resistant. Nor are the cases sealed. LOTS of dirt gets in them.  Castle is supposed to be coming out with waterproof versions soon, I've seen ads, but haven't seen them for sale yet. If you're dying to get a Sidewinder system, I would wait till they come out with the new one.

Have you considered the DTX Element system, made by Castle, and IS waterproof, AND about the same cost as a SW.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:38 AM
rclugnut10

I've had great luck with the original SW units i've dragged (literally) one thru hell and back, and no complaints, once you pull off that POS on off switch and short the leads you're golden... The other unit i have is in my sparrowhawk XT with the 4600kv motor and it rips and that's a 4wd st that probs weighs in around 6lbs and i'm running badlands all around. and the ESC has given me no complaints what so ever. Though all my driving has been done on 2s....

the lug
Old 01-31-2013, 07:00 PM
DieHarder

I changed my mind. I'm gonna get the RTR version instead, and leave the electronics in the vader.
Old 02-03-2013, 08:11 PM
DieHarder

And the Ravens Win! I didn't expect the underdogs to come out ahead. Did you see that 109yd return! Or that one pass, spin, and juke for a td!? Great game!

I DID see offsides on that last play, and there was holding on the last play.
Old 02-03-2013, 08:16 PM
rclugnut10

I missed the game, doing work instead as i was sick all weekend though i bet that 109 yd return would've been amazing to see. Pitty that those calls weren't made i was kinda rooting for the 49'ers as the ravens killed the giants (my true colors) a few, well more than that years ago in a superbowl.... but glad to hear it was a good game, and as a little joke....

the lug
Old 02-04-2013, 11:12 AM
egbasher

Classic photo Lug. As a niner fan, even I will say it was a great game. Bad officiating, but so many calls (or non-calls) have gone against the NIner's over the years no one here was surprised. Hard to win when you have to beat the other team and the officials. We have a young team and will be back, although I don't think I'll wear my Kaepernick T-shirt next time!
Old 02-04-2013, 11:21 AM
egbasher

How does the Velenion compare with the Castle SW system?

If you're looking for a new transmitter I suggest this one:

http://www.hobbypartz.com/79p-gt3b-carradio-lcd.html

I've had one for over a year and it works perfectly. Plus you can buy extra receivers for about 8 bucks. The transmitter has memory for 10 different cars. Can't beat the price, too.
EXT2Rob has the FS-GT-2 and it works great, too.

ORIGINAL: DieHard1207

I'm gonna pull the electronics from my Evader because it has too big of a motor. (550) Later, I plan on replacing my Evader's electronics with a Castle Sidewinder system. I'm also gonna buy a 3-channel receiver and transmitter to put in the Savage, then put the receiver and transmitter that I pulled from Evader back in the Evader. I will also Have to buy another servo to put in the Evader.

So what's going to be in the Savage, is the same electronics that are in the Evader. So Later I will buy enough electronics for both of them.

Here is what is in my Evader currently:
ESC:Traxxas Velenion 3S
Motor:Traxxas Velenion 3S 3500kv Brushless
Servo: Hi-Tec 180oz
Receiver: Stock 2 Channel
Old 02-04-2013, 11:33 AM
DieHarder

Thanks egbasher! I might pick one of those up soon.
Old 02-05-2013, 01:25 PM
DieHarder

Just went sledding today @ Pigeon Creek! They've got a HUGE hill that maybe 50-60' high, and is pretty much a straight drop-off. You get going at least 30mph. Pretty fun tho.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:03 AM
EXT2Rob

Groovy man.  I remember having fun in da snow..... used to be big into x-country skiing.  Haven't been since I broke my ankle. Also, not liking the cold so much anymore. Must be gettin' old.....

Nifty thing I did over the weekend..... replaced the bearings in my EZrun motor.  How nice to know that the bearings are about the only things to wear out in brushless motors. I hope the brass shims last another year or so. They look good so far.

Your ear is one of the most valuable things when it comes to your car. I'm really sensitive to any unusual sounds it makes. I started hearing an unfamiliar whine, and at first I thought it was the slipper clutch slipping.  But I soon realized it was the motor bearings going bad.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:47 PM
egbasher

EXT2Rob and I had another great day bashing. Eight battery packs! 60 degrees and sunny. Gotta love CA, especially in the winter. Run all day long without worrying about motor temp. Well, except for a motor with bad bearings. If the temp goes up, check the pinion size first, then the bearings!

Funny that EXrun went cheap on the bearings. Not even sealed! It appears that as long as the bearings don't self destruct and allow the rotor to spin into the windings, there is nothing to wear out/break in a brushless motor. Keep the bearings clean and lubed and you should be good to go for years. Even as often as you run Rob.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:59 PM
EXT2Rob

Yeah, as long as the bearings hold up.....   And now we realize that there IS easy access to the rear bearing.  (Under the label)

Hey Lug, you said you had Sidewinders that ran thru hell?  Original SWs, not the Sv2 then?  That I would believe.  I still think it's pretty odd that two identical Sv2s would crap out only a few months out of the box, and within weeks of each other. 
Old 02-11-2013, 05:00 PM
EXT2Rob

Well guys, at long last (like I'm sure you've all been waiting with baited breath) (and what the hell does "baited breath" mean, anyway?)
here is a video of a couple laps around my "backyard" off-road RC track that EGbasher an I have been playing on. First day with new video camera, and first time with processing it with Windows Whatever.....so be kind.

[youtube]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imfnSQTIj48
[/youtube]
Old 02-11-2013, 05:04 PM
EXT2Rob

crap....I thought that was supposed to embed a video window in the post? What the hey?
Old 02-11-2013, 05:25 PM
cumquat

ORIGINAL: EXT2Rob

Well guys, at long last (like I'm sure you've all been waiting with baited breath) (and what the hell does ''baited breath'' mean, anyway?)
here is a video of a couple laps around my ''backyard'' off-road RC track that EGbasher an I have been playing on. First day with new video camera, and first time with processing it with Windows Whatever.....so be kind.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imfnSQTIj48[/youtube]
cant have any gaps and cant use secured links.
Old 02-11-2013, 05:57 PM
EXT2Rob

Thanks cumquat!
Old 02-11-2013, 06:51 PM
cumquat

any time.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:47 PM
rclugnut10

ORIGINAL: EXT2Rob

Yeah, as long as the bearings hold up..... And now we realize that there IS easy access to the rear bearing. (Under the label)

Hey Lug, you said you had Sidewinders that ran thru hell? Original SWs, not the Sv2 then? That I would believe. I still think it's pretty odd that two identical Sv2s would crap out only a few months out of the box, and within weeks of each other.

Hey sorry for not commenting on this way back when, i can't honestly say why two sw2's are like that, i know the up'd the power capasity of the sw2's and maybe something didn't get upgraded that should've kinda thing? I'm not sure, but for 2s I have a lot of faith in a SW1, just my thoughts...

and that looks like a pretty sweet track

the lug
Old 02-12-2013, 02:24 PM
bocabearingtom

Hey if you have any questions or would like to ask me some questions that would be better fitting for your needs you can contact me in a PM at [email protected]

ORIGINAL: egbasher

EXT2Rob and I had another great day bashing. Eight battery packs! 60 degrees and sunny. Gotta love CA, especially in the winter. Run all day long without worrying about motor temp. Well, except for a motor with bad bearings. If the temp goes up, check the pinion size first, then the bearings!

Funny that EXrun went cheap on the bearings. Not even sealed! It appears that as long as the bearings don't self destruct and allow the rotor to spin into the windings, there is nothing to wear out/break in a brushless motor. Keep the bearings clean and lubed and you should be good to go for years. Even as often as you run Rob.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:01 AM
EXT2Rob

Hey DieHard, did ya see the video of my track? 
Old 02-19-2013, 03:58 PM
SacramentoJoe

Hey Guys,

Anyone know what size spring-pin fits into the rear dogbone/CV at the differential outputs?
Old 02-19-2013, 11:18 PM
rclugnut10

Hey i know on the old ST's it was ~2.5mm cuz i'd use my 4-40 driver to lock the shaft all the time i'm not sure about the EXT's tho...

the lug
Old 02-20-2013, 08:32 AM
EXT2Rob

I think it's 3/32, but I'm not sure. I have it somewhere, I'll go check.

YEP, 3/32. They come in various lengths at Home Despot and Lowe's. If you get the 3/4in-long ones, you can cut 'em in half and they're just the right length. Ifound that you still need to use either RED loctite or CA tire glue when installing the new pins and leave them to fully cure. Otherwise they work their way out again.

P.S. To KennyKiller: Thanks for subscribing to my YouTube channel. (WHYyou'd do such a thing, I'm not sure.......)

Old 03-05-2013, 10:17 AM
bossman2u

Hi Guys,
I have an evader that I`ve converted to brushless, (4000kv tacon 5660, brushlesshobbies.com 120a ESC and zippy 5000mah 3s) it FLIES, I do most of my bashing split between dirt and street and I`m looking for a rally type body that will fit for the evader I have no issues fabbing body mounts if need be, something like a ford focus or such but I`m having no luck searching the web, I love this car and I want to dress it out but I`m not finding anything that fits (wheelbase is a tad over 11"between axles), I dont want a truck or an unrealistic truggy body, I want something more scale in appearance.
Any suggestions would be appreciated greatly!
Bossman2u

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.