Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

The Evader Coalition ~ T.E.C. Part 2.

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2013, 10:26 AM
egbasher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I run a GT3B also. Great system for the money. Amazing you can get a quality transmitter for the price of a Futaba receiver! The only problem I have had was the braking part of the trigger broke. A little engineering and plumbers goop solved that problem. I don't run in wet conditions so I can't comment on water-proofness, but I'd bet some judiciously placed liquid tape would help.
Old 12-04-2013, 02:31 PM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Lug! Yeah if you're running in very wet conditions, I'd invest in a radio box. Hell, DTX made 'em for the BL, didn't they? I used some spray Plasti-Dip on my Rx's, but you still have the jack opening. I have used tape (to cover the un-used slots) and Liquid Tape to seal around that tape and the ESC and Servo plugs. Mainly just to keep the dust out. If I was running in snow, I'd get a box.

D'OH! EGbasher found out. I'm jones'in for another race day too. Still waiting on my replacement part. Dang, shoulda had arm replacements in kit when I ordered some other stuff. Just checked tracking, it just left Anaheim. So I don't really expect it to get here tomorrow, unless it comes here direct, not thru the West Sac sort facility. Shucks, Considering the TT got here within three days of ordering, I'd have thought a small shipping envelope of a-arms wouldn't take any longer than that. But we are in Christmas Shipping Mode.......

Hey HugeMike, I might be interested in that too-purple Evader body....the wife's evader could use a new lid.
Old 12-04-2013, 03:24 PM
rclugnut10

It listed under the baja bug on tower but i belive dtx used them across the BL and EXT2/2.4. I'll have to pick some up soon...
Old 12-04-2013, 09:40 PM
cumquat

no box on the ext2.
Old 12-05-2013, 08:25 AM
rclugnut10

Originally Posted by cumquat
no box on the ext2.
My bad I thought the 2 had the updated box as well it's just the 2.4
Old 12-05-2013, 10:06 AM
egbasher

Unbelievable. We were supposed to have a race day tomorrow but they say it's going to snow! In CA? OK, it is really cold. I know to you guys back east, 26º is a joke. It's not that we don't have cold weather here, you just usually have to go up into the Sierra's to get it (I've seen minus 20 in Truckee), not down here in the Central Valley or even at EXT2Rob's at 1000' in the foothills. Maybe it's just as well. Rob's spare part is taking longer to get here than he thought. So Rob, get that new suspension arm attached, plow the track and let's go racing!
Old 12-05-2013, 10:10 AM
rclugnut10

Haha it's 48* today according to my phone... we've been having a bit of warm spell this week though, last saturday it was 8* out. If you are running on snow, pin style treads work great, i've had good luck with badlands and the dirtbones on my savage, HPI's GT2's spun a bit...
Old 12-05-2013, 11:28 AM
cumquat

hehe. it's 33 degrees outside and i went out about 20 minutes ago to check the mail in just a t shirt and jeans. i have seen about -13* but that was 4 days straight in a nasty blizzard. we've even had thunder snow a time or 2. past couple years have been warm though. in '11-'12 we barely got snow and last winter we had about half our average snowfall. back in '09 we had 3' in our front yard and that still wasnt a record!
Old 12-05-2013, 01:48 PM
DieHarder

No snow here. About 32* and very windy. It's very bitter out.

About a half hour ago, I was riding the dirt bike around the yard, and the neighbors pit bulls (three) got out of his shock collar zone, and was chasing me around. I had to kick it and shoot dirt at him multiple times to get him to fall back and stop bitting at my jeans and shoes. Finally, I parked the dirt bike, and rode my pedal bike over to tell him that his dogs were out. On the way over, the dog kept attacking my tire on my bicycle. He would run up to it while I would be going 10-13mph and put his entire mouth around the outside part of the rim around the tire. Then when the tire would roll down to the ground his head would slam on the ground, and he'd pull it out before it got run over. He did that literally about 50 times on the way over there and back all together. On the way over, it was so bad, that I stopped my bike in the road. (We live on a dirt road, so there is like no traffic, maybe one car will go by (a neighbor usually) an hour) I shouted at the stupid dog, cussed at him, and kicked him as he went for my tire some more. Then I got hot and threw my bike in the ditch, kicked the dog through the air, and off the road, and then stood there yelling and telling the damn things to go home. Well, I made it to the door, knocked, and no one answered. So I was heading home with the stupid things following me again and grabbing at my tire, when the neighbors wife came out on to the porch and began calling for the dogs. All three left eventually and I rode up to tell her. In the last month, the neighbor across the road from the ones with the pit bulls, had natural gas put in, where they had to dig up the road to connect it to the main pipe which was on the neighbors with the pit bulls side of the road. We think that when they dug up his side of the road which lead about 10 feet off the road into the grass where the main pipe runs, they dug up and cut the neighbor with the pit bulls electric fence wire. So anything past the part of the fence was not powered, thus how the dogs could pass through that area. (Which we've seen them do many of times in the past couple weeks.) Anyway, I told her what we thought about the line being cut. Then I went home, and she put the dogs inside. On my way home, I found that my tire was popped, the tire had multiple teeth marks in it, and a big scratch in the rim. Not sure now if I should make him pay for a new tire and tube. I can fix the rim though...

I can now say, I was attacked by, and fought off three aggressive pit bulls! Ha!
Old 12-05-2013, 01:57 PM
rclugnut10

Dogs that agressive really aren't good to have around... You may not need to replace your tire a new tube *may* do it if you're sidewall is in okay shape... If not i have a few extra tires in good shape that we may be able to work out a deal on...
Old 12-05-2013, 02:19 PM
DieHarder

Nah,.. That's alright Lug, I've go a few around. I might just duct tape the inside, though that may be kind of hillbilly style. Thanks for offering though! It shows your a good friend who is willing to help out someone in need.

It is the end of the season, so no biggy, Also, I might have a tube laying around to put in it. I think I have a good tire or two out in the shop too. I'll look here in a bit. Also, I forgot to mention, that at one point, the dog picked up my front tire and the whole front of the bike, about 2 ft off the ground. What a snapshot that would have been!
Old 12-05-2013, 03:17 PM
EXT2Rob

Originally Posted by DieHarder
No snow here. About 32* and very windy. It's very bitter out.

I can now say, I was attacked by, and fought off three aggressive pit bulls! Ha!
Dude, you should report this to the police immediately. MAKE them take a report. Then, let the idiots who own the dogs know that the dogs have been harassing you, and have caused you and your property physical damage, and that a police report has been filed. And suggest that they kindly fix their bleeding fence before someone gets killed.

Down the road from us is a B&B, with a BIG sign that states "Any dog caught harassing animals on this property will be shot" pretty much says it.
Old 12-05-2013, 04:16 PM
cumquat

most of my time outside is spent plinking. never been bothered by any animals.
Old 12-05-2013, 04:19 PM
DieHarder

People have complained in the past years. But I do visit him once in a while. He's a nice guy about 30-35 years. He has spent over $2000 building up a HPI Savage Flux to a full aluminum and steel machine, running 4S (Has done 6S), a big black truck body, and huge Big Joe tires. I think I mention on here once that he let me drive that beastly machine. That was one awesome experience. The thing is now about 25" long, and weighs over 20lbs. It pulls wheelies on the spot, and will do ridiculous speed runs. Full 4WD, and the thing can go anywhere! That's one heck of a truck. I don't really want to file any charges against him, as we aren't that kind of people, but when his dogs aren't penned in, it is VERY dangerous for the OTHER neighbors down the way who take their 2 and 6 year olds for walks. I can't imagine what three pit bulls would do to the kids and their mid-sized dog. Not sure the breed. The pit bulls are nice when you pet them, and whenever our black lab gets loose (Which is rare), she runs over to play and gets inside the electric fence, and they run over to kill. It can be kinda bad, but she's never come home bloody or anything, and she's only gotten loose like 5 times here whole life. We keep our dog leashed and inside 24/7 after how she would get away as a pup. The township already knows about this guy, and he's kind of a buddy of mine. He gets me special "Green Goop" as we call it grease from his workplace, and other stuff. Extra radios, servos, receivers, etc. Great guy really. So, I'm going to try as much as possible to discourage my parents from pressing any charges. It'll probably end with dad going over to talk with him, he'll offer to fix pay for a tube and a tire, dad won't take it, a quick discussion, and the whole thing will be over. I'm very handy with bikes as that's another one of dad and my many hobbies, so it shouldn't be too hard to get a tube and/or tire from a friend of dad's or we might have some spare stuff. Either way, I want to continue being buddies, and no charges pressed. He actually doesn't even know right now that my bike is damaged....
Old 12-07-2013, 04:34 PM
monsterbombs

Dogs like that need to be destroyed,gives pits a bad name too.
Old 12-07-2013, 08:18 PM
DieHarder

Yes! I finally got my plow truck running!!! Yes! Yes! Yes! After 4 different motors, 2 fried, one issues, and the last one perfect! Mainly because the last try I used a Gear Reduction Unit. It was a 1:4 reduction on my TL-01. I'm running a Tekin Gen2 RedLine 13.5T Brushless Sensored motor. Hundred Dollar Motor, Baby! Can't wait to get photos up!
Old 12-09-2013, 08:12 PM
DudaDude

I'm totally new to RC. I recntly got at duratrax Evader ST. all the gears were stripped so I replaced them with metal. but the biggest gear inside the gearbox (connected to the drive shaft or whatever you call it) will not fir. Like the gearbox will close but it will have a 1/8" gap. Can anyone tell me what I can do to fix it? I replaced it with the stock plastic gear but I know it won't last because the other 2 are metal. Thanks for the help in advanced
Old 12-09-2013, 08:17 PM
DudaDude

just bumping my post so I'm subscribed when someone replys. (just changed my settings, since I don't plan on being here often)
Old 12-09-2013, 08:21 PM
rclugnut10

Originally Posted by DudaDude
I'm totally new to RC. I recntly got at duratrax Evader ST. all the gears were stripped so I replaced them with metal. but the biggest gear inside the gearbox (connected to the drive shaft or whatever you call it) will not fir. Like the gearbox will close but it will have a 1/8" gap. Can anyone tell me what I can do to fix it? I replaced it with the stock plastic gear but I know it won't last because the other 2 are metal. Thanks for the help in advanced
There could be a few possibilities on what's up. It depends on what evader you have and which parts you put in it. Does it explicitly say evader st? Or does it say ext?

What gears did you put in it? The evader brushless metal diff? And ext2/ brushless idler? Did the diff fit the inner diameter of the bushings okay and it just won't close? If that last option is the case you have the most recent transmission case but bid you're getting a figment issue its because it has brass bushings that are a bit wider than the bearings the metal diff was designed to run with.

If the diff fits loosely in the bearings in the tranny case you have an st spec case. Look here for mods specific to that.like I said the ext case will take the bl spec diff only if you have the right size bearings.

https://sites.google.com/site/evaderinfo/

I forget the size bearing you need look on the duratrax website for the evader brushless bexploded view and that should sort you.
Old 12-09-2013, 08:27 PM
DudaDude

stock bearings fit the diff snug. the body says "evader ST". the package I got the diff in says "ASSM DIFF BL EVADER" I'm guessing the BL means brushless, But I know it is not brushless.. my buddy i got it off of had it in storage for a good 2+ years. I'm not a big time RC enthusiast, I have other hobbies I focus more on. I just want to get all the gears metal so I have something to play with outside of airsoft. I just got this for ****s and giggles
Old 12-09-2013, 08:33 PM
rclugnut10

Interesting sounds like it may have wider bearings to run the plastic diff gear. I'd pull them out check sizing and then compair the evader brushless (you did assume correctly). When I put in a bl diff my bushings to run the plastic unitbwere too wide and didnt allow the case to close. Also I'd pull apart the diff make sure its packed with grease. Then locktite the 4 screws that hold it together as they can loosen and kill the internal spider gears.

So it sounds like you have an old st spec chassis and your buddy put in the ext tranny. Or had an ext and put an st body on it. Small details if youre curious I can help you figure it out.
Old 12-09-2013, 08:40 PM
DudaDude

it was all stock when I got it. I figured I could just drop in the metal gears and call it a day. I plan on pulling it apart tomorrow after work. I will post pictures because everything your saying is Chinese to me and I have no idea whats going on "towlie voice*
Old 12-09-2013, 08:42 PM
rclugnut10

Sounds good and it wasn't all stock the stock version of the chassis that came with that body won't accept the bl diff. But yes pics speak a thousand words.
Old 12-09-2013, 08:44 PM
DudaDude

all the other gears fit but the bl diff. but You prob know more than me (obviously) so tomorrow we will figure this out. I was yellin and hollarin over it today!
Old 12-10-2013, 08:25 AM
EXT2Rob

Originally Posted by DudaDude
it was all stock when I got it. I figured I could just drop in the metal gears and call it a day. I plan on pulling it apart tomorrow after work. I will post pictures because everything your saying is Chinese to me and I have no idea whats going on "towlie voice*
Heh heh heh...."towlie voice".

It sounds like you just need a new tranny case, dude. The brushless evader diff case or the EXT2 or EXT2.4 should work. I think you have an ST case.
+1 on what Lug said. Make sure the diff has some good grease in it (TrakPower Gear Grease) and the screws are thread-locked with BLUE loctite. With the metal diff, you'll be golden. If you put a brushless system in it (I suggest a HobbyWing EZrun 35Amp ESC / 4300kv motor combo from HobbyPartz.com) The only other thing you might want to do is get some 1.19mm music wire from your local hobby store to use as drive-cup retainer pins in the diff. The stock pins fail after hard running. Music wire is just hardened steel rod and is cheap to buy, just a couple bucks. I also use 1.57mm music wire for drive pins, as the roller pins don't last long. You'll LOOSE music wire pins before you break them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.