Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

B4.1 RTR and FT differances

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 05:21 AM
Jeff15
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B4.1 RTR and FT differances

What is the major differances between the RTR and the FT? I obviously know about the blue aluminum pieces, the shocks........ Does the diff differ? Thanks
Old 11-14-2011, 06:04 AM
nick4622

Default RE: B4.1 RTR and FT differances

I bought the RTR B4.1 and love it. The major differences are the chassie is made of a different material also a bunch of the other parts are carbon fiber instead of plastic. In the FT you have to provide the servo, radio,motor,and ESC.also some other stuff thats not included in the FT.

I am very happy withmy RTR, if you go for the FT plan on spending a bunch more $$$.

Old 11-14-2011, 06:56 AM
Jeff15

Yeah I'm on such a tight budget I had to buy used RTR, I just wanted to know what I was going to upgrade first when I had the money. If the diff was different I was going to start there.
Old 11-14-2011, 04:43 PM
jermpool

Funny, just last night I made a list to see if it would be cheaper to transform a rtr to FT or a FT to a running racer.This is the list I made.

rtr $245
$50 rx

$30 Factory Team 0.5-degree aluminum rear hubs

$20 Ball differential

$20 lightweight outdrives

$40 Factory Team V2 hard-anodized threaded shock bodies
$7 bleed-screw caps

$25 V2 slipper assembly with high-rate spring

$28 Pro-Line Vortex body and wing
$12 Pro-Line M3 Holeshot 2.0 rear
$10 M3 4-rib front tires

$30 CVA drive shafts with pin retainer clips (MIP)

$15 Durable steel center-drilled front axles

$18 Carbon-fiber battery strap
$7 blue aluminum thumb screws

$30 Blue titanium turnbuckles

$11 Factory Team blue aluminum hinge pin brace,
$15 milled motor plate,
$15 servo mounts

$628
Old 11-14-2011, 04:49 PM
jermpool

I would start with the ball diff too, and slipper.
Old 11-14-2011, 07:38 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

Materials in both cars' plastics are the same.

V2 shocks are different, which makes it easier to build AE shocks consistently, and they're quicker to rebuild, and have the titanium nitride shock shafts, which are smoother resulting in smoother action and longer o-ring life.

The ball diff in the FT vs the gear diff in the RTR:
Ball diffs "bind" when a load is applied to them, letting the car bite harder on corner exit, and can be tuned without removing the diff from the transmission. Also, ThunderbirdJunkie's ball diffs tend to last longer than his gear diffs. The ball diff also free-wheels better under no load making it better for off-power steering (IE corner entry). Conversely, if it's your first ball diff, budget for 3 rebuild kits and 3 sets of new balls; they take practice to get right.

The FT kit comes with the rear aluminum FT hub carriers, which have a larger outer bearing (for longer bearing life) and replaceable plastic upper portions for adjustable roll center and so you can just replace the plastic part rather than the whole hub carrier if you snap a ball stud off.

FT kit also comes with the aluminum front brace which aids in front end rigidity and strength.

The FT comes with optional toe blocks so you can tweak your toe (more for lower grip conditions, less for higher grip conditions, etc)

The FT comes with a snazzy carbon fiber battery strap with blue aluminum thumbscrews. Doesn't do much, but it's nice to look at [&:]

One of ThunderbirdJunkie's favorite features on the car are the front axles that use 4-40x3/8" buttonhead screws to retain the wheels rather than the obnoxious plastic locknut with the threaded axle, which is less likely to get hung up when you're hugging the pipes at the apex of the corner.
Old 11-14-2011, 09:51 PM
Jeff15

Great! thanks guys