Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Emaxx 3906 Single Speed Conversion with Brushless Motor

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2016, 12:42 PM
Krizkid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Emaxx 3906 Single Speed Conversion with Brushless Motor

Hey everyone!
I was looking into putting the 1/8 scale motor and ESC combo from my Earthquake 8E into my Emaxx 3906. I have a few questions about the switch before I go any further. This is where I am so far: http://imgur.com/a/qKkm6 . The questions I have are:
1. Will the motor from the Earthquake 8E be too powerful for the diffs and transmission already in the Emaxx? (A 2230KV motor)
2. Is it possible to buy a single speed transmission to replace the two speed transmission in the Emaxx? If it is not possible to replace the transmission then what would be the best option to lock it on one speed?
3. What motor mount should i use to install my new motor?
4. The wiring from the ESC to motor is too short so the motor cannot reach the other side of the transmission. What type of wiring do I need and will it be possible to just cut the wire, attach the new wires and use heat-shrink tubing to seal it back up?

Thanks!
Old 06-01-2016, 11:08 PM
Maj_Overdrive
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1. Yes the motor will eat up the stock drivetrain. The trans needs a steel idler and input gear from what I've read to hold up to brushless. I'm not that 3906 savy so I can't help with parts sourcing, do some googling for 3906 single speed conversion and trans upgrades. The diffs will crap out eventually, upgrade to 3903/5/8 diffs. The plastic slider shafts (center and to the wheels) will twist and end up breaking, go cvd or again 3903/5/8 parts.

2. Nobody sells a complete upgraded 3906 trans, in fact most upgrades have been discontinued. Again do some googling for upgrades and single speed conversions. Or buy the adapter to install a 3903/5/8 trans that's already bulletproof. FLM has one of these adapters.

3. Just get a stock 3906 motor mount and bolt up the motor. Same with the newer style trans if you go that route.

4. There's no reason you can't extend the esc wires. Just get some decent 10-12ga wire, unsolder the bullet connectors from the esc wires, extend, shrink wrap the joint, solder the bullet connectors back on and shrink wrap them. That's the neatest way to do it, if you cut the esc wires in the middle and extend you add a solder joint and it looks worse. Of course if the solder point on the esc is accessible and your comfortable with it you can just totally replace the wires.

DO NOT TRY TO EXTEND THE MOTOR WIRES!! The motor wires on those motors are usually the actual windings of the motor. This means they have a coating on them that solder doesn't stick to. The coating is cleaned off on the end for the connectors but it's usually best you don't mess with them if you don't have to as it can still be tricky to solder. The way to tell if the motor wires are actually the windings extending outside the can is if the motor wires are stiff or not. If they're stiff they're the windings, if they're flexible they're actual wire.

Last edited by Maj_Overdrive; 06-01-2016 at 11:12 PM.