Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

NEW!!!! Official Axial EXO buggy thread...

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 12:15 AM
wracing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: NEW!!!! Official Axial EXO buggy thread...

What servo for this car?
Old 01-16-2012, 04:46 PM
guys2nv

ORIGINAL: wracing

What servo for this car?
I'd say anything over 150oz-in of torque would be fine. Speed....hmm anything under .15 I'd say.

Something like the savox 1258.

http://www.savoxusa.com/Savox_SC1258...avsc1258tg.htm
Old 01-16-2012, 08:14 PM
t9dragon
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: BKoz559

I'm sold, I want one! But, $350 for the kit feel steep considering a Wraith kit is $299 (which includes upgrades no on the RTR), a nice SC 4x4 kit is around $250-$300. By the time I'm finished this will be a $600+ rig! My Flux didn't cost that much but and it's pretty darn cool RC too! Maybe I would have expected it to sell for $299 which isn't much less that what it is now.
My Flux was $600 when I got. The week it was released..
Old 01-17-2012, 11:58 AM
tman52748
My Feedback: (1)

How well will this thing run in grass? I really like the looks, but I'm just looking for bashing around the backyard. I've got 5 acres to play with, with hills, etc.... My Tmaxx is fun, but I want something brushless and something that won't flip over easy. I have plenty of 2s and 3s packs for my boats, so another reason for brushless car/truck.
I currently have one of these on backorder.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:01 PM
NOVAMEGA

My slash 4x4 is goin to be replaced by this ... I hope I can squeeze in my Ezrun 2700kv 550 with a 20tooth pinon and 3s packs in there .
Old 01-18-2012, 04:09 PM
wracing

ORIGINAL: tman52806

How well will this thing run in grass? I really like the looks, but I'm just looking for bashing around the backyard. I've got 5 acres to play with, with hills, etc.... My Tmaxx is fun, but I want something brushless and something that won't flip over easy. I have plenty of 2s and 3s packs for my boats, so another reason for brushless car/truck.
I currently have one of these on backorder.
You might consider the Thunder Tiger MT4 G3. Acomplete beast in the yard. We have one and have the EXO on order. However Iam thinking Ishould have got a second MT4 G3...
Old 02-25-2012, 09:38 PM
guys2nv

Tower, RCPlanet finally have the EXO in stock, mine should be here soon !
Old 02-26-2012, 07:12 PM
t9dragon

ORIGINAL: guys2nv

Mine shipped on Saturday....
Old 02-28-2012, 07:29 PM
guys2nv

ORIGINAL: t9dragon

Did you get yours yet? Should have mine tomorrow (wed) I'll start building on monday though.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:59 AM
t9dragon

ORIGINAL: t9dragon

Did you get yours yet? Should have mine tomorrow (wed) I'll start building on monday though.
Not yet..... Mine is being shipped to the LHS and I still owe them $250 for it..
Old 03-06-2012, 07:33 PM
guys2nv

Finished building mine today besides paint (to cold) and the top light bar.

Old 03-07-2012, 05:57 PM
BKoz559
My Feedback: (3)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Some quick questions for you that I'm sure others are curious about also:

1. Are the shock bodies plastic or aluminum and are they threaded?

2. How many spider gears are in the front / rear differentials?

3. Are there any aluminum components besides the motormount? For example, hinge pin brace, hub carriers, or any parts of the chassis.

4. In your opinion, does the faux engine cover look cheesy or does it add to the aesthetics?

5. Did you experience any unusual situations, complications or discover an odd engineering design during the build? ( did you ever find yourself thinking, "Why did they dothat?" or "They should have done it this way instead.")

Thanks for your feedback.

Old 03-09-2012, 04:17 PM
guys2nv

ORIGINAL: BKoz559

Some quick questions for you that I'm sure others are curious about also:

1. Are the shock bodies plastic or aluminum and are they threaded?

2. How many spider gears are in the front / rear differentials?

3. Are there any aluminum components besides the motormount? For example, hinge pin brace, hub carriers, or any parts of the chassis.

4. In your opinion, does the faux engine cover look cheesy or does it add to the aesthetics?

5. Did you experience any unusual situations, complications or discover an odd engineering design during the build? ( did you ever find yourself thinking, ''Why did they do that?'' or ''They should have done it this way instead.'')

Thanks for your feedback.

1. Stock shock bodies are threaded plastic units. I'm not running them though, I bolted on a set of Blitz shocks with STRC caps and TiN shafts with the stock EXO springs.

2. Front/center/rear diffs all use 2 spider gears per diff.

3. Besides the motor mount/hinge pin braces and the center chassis everything else is plastic. Stock motor mount is prone to snapping if you tighten the set screw to much.

4. I personally like the engine cover and thinks it looks pretty good.

5. The cage can be kind of a PITA to remove and attach. I'm also not running any interior for cooling and accessibility. Haven't driven mine yet so that's all I can really say.
Old 04-01-2012, 04:29 PM
CarGuy7a

Got my kit all finished up. Here's the build pics. I finally got around to test driving this thing today and man the Exo is one fun machine.

Buggy stats,
Castle Creations MMP SCT Race Pro system with the 3800kv 4 pole 5mm shaft motor ran on SPC 2s 5200mah 40C hardcase lipo.
Hitec 645MG servo DX3S radio system.

Old 04-02-2012, 09:54 AM
Dale Gribble
My Feedback: (4)

I ended up bolting up some Proline Powerstroke shocks with some minor mods. Whoa, are these better than stockers.

Old 04-02-2012, 09:57 AM
Dale Gribble

Here are some other things I did to my exo-

I am much happier with my EXO now after doing some user friendly mods. I still hate getting the battery in and out but my other issues have been resolved.

Regarding the shocks, I am dumping the stockers and should have Proline Powerstrokes from a Slash any day now. Two of the stockers are leaking after my first 30 second run in the front yard. The issue is with the caps. Aftermarket shocks take care of that.

I cutout some cooling holes to aide in motor and ESC cooling.

Dale Gribble

I cut the faux motor cover and the cockpit cover back to expose the ESC and battery wires. I zip tied the ESC connector to the frame and now I can easily connect and disconnect the battery. This should help cooling also.

I cut a hole in the driver side so I can check motor temps with the body on.

Dale Gribble

I cut out the cupholder on the back seats and cutout a place for the ESC on/off switch to pass through. I will velcro the switch to the cockpit seat somewhere.

Old 05-10-2012, 01:29 PM
gdiddy13

Been looking at this thing for a while. Just wanted to know what you guys that have had it for a while think of it?
Old 05-10-2012, 01:59 PM
t9dragon

Got mine last week. I should have the build finished this weekend...
Old 05-13-2012, 12:15 AM
CarGuy7a

ORIGINAL: gdiddy13

Been looking at this thing for a while. Just wanted to know what you guys that have had it for a while think of it?
I love mine. I've only ran about 5 packs through it and it seems to be pretty durable. I've not had any breakages. Most the videos you see on youtube of guys saying the motor mount snaps in half are all oddly enough running a 550 size motor. Mine is still hanging in there but I'm also only running a 540 in it. Some guys also say the stock shocks are hardly worth putting together. I'd say they are just fine for me, just make sure to trim off the flashing on the shock parts.

The only problem I ran into (and this may be just isolated to my kit and hoping some of the other guys here will chime in on this issue) is that aluminum steering drag link was getting severely scarred from the front center drive cup rubbing it. Now in my kit there was a revised step for assembling the drag link to the bellcranks (which I followed) and there were two small washers to drop the drag link lower but in my case this was not effective enough. I ended up adding one more washer on each side to drop it even farther which solved the clearance issue but caused another. Now I have some slight binding in the steering setup and the wheels will not return to center freely like they did before. I may end up having to tear down the whole front end and see if I can get this worked out.

Good news is STRC is jumping on board and are soon releasing some sweet looking aluminum and carbon fiber hop ups for this beast.
Old 05-13-2012, 05:22 PM
CarGuy7a

I tore into the front end today and found the problem with the binding. I had the steering components tightened down too much and it was causing serious drag. I re assembled the steering system and loosened the screws up slightly from snug until the drag was reduced.
Old 05-25-2012, 07:15 PM
DVUSHELI

Ok, so I resisted the urge to get one of these before anyone made hop-ups. I see STS has bought some aluminum goodies and Axial has released some as well, along with metal spur gears. What about the so called problem areas?

Has anyone produced diffs with 3 spider gears? Or aluminum tranny housings. Most of all, that complex cage design that limits you from testing out this thing because the rear suspension is not attached when the cage is off, not to mention the inability to remove a smoldering lipo quickly before it melts down your entire rig.

For you guys that already have them, are the front and rear transmission housings the same as far as mounting? If so, would that mean you could simply take a second front trans and shock tower mount, put it on the rear end and run without the cage? I know it kills the scale look, which I'm diggin btw, but it'll make things a whole lot easier than removing 12 screws, taking the cage off, change a setting on whatever, remount cage, reinstall 12 screws, test againyada yada yada lol.
Old 05-25-2012, 07:34 PM
BKoz559
My Feedback: (3)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Heads up!  Tower Hobbies and Omni Models are both selling the EXO for $299. Omni has free shipping, but if you're a Tower member you get an additional $50 off and free shipping.  So, you can get a new kit for as little as $249.  This may be the opportunity you've been waiting for if your on the fence about buying one.