Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

RC4WD Tracks

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 12:16 PM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RC4WD Tracks

they look pretty cool. Thinking about getting 4 of them for one of my Tamiya Hi Lifts.

$120 a pair isn't too bad.

Old 12-13-2011, 12:24 PM
dragnse7en
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: RC4WD Tracks

Cool!!!!

I saw a video on youtube of full-size 4WD trucks using something like that on all fours. It was a white truck; either a Dodge Ram or a Chevy Z71; I can't remember, but in the video it seemed completely unstoppable in the snow.
Old 12-13-2011, 02:59 PM
sheograth

Yeah Mattracks makes some good full sized ones. Not sure how useful they'd be but they'd be fun to mess around with. Great torque for pulling.
Old 12-13-2011, 03:43 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

very awsome, but @ $240 for a full set thats pretty expensive! I mean, they would be awsome for the winter time, but thats alot of money for new shoes.

Why cant a company make some durable plastic "low cost" ones. I know some have modded the toy mattracks to work with 12mm hex, but in order for them to be any good the tread on the track has to be fairly deep like on these.
Old 12-13-2011, 04:14 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner

very awsome, but @ $240 for a full set thats pretty expensive! I mean, they would be awsome for the winter time, but thats alot of money for new shoes.

Why cant a company make some durable plastic ''low cost'' ones. I know some have modded the toy mattracks to work with 12mm hex, but in order for them to be any good the tread on the track has to be fairly deep like on these.
well I can somewhat understand why they are metal. You do not want plastic on parts that are going to take any real abuse in winter cause lets face it they will crack pretty easy. Looking at it there isn't much that could be really made of plastic except maybe the wheels for the tracks that are on the bottom.
I would buy a set of 4 is they were maybe half the price, but I can understand the cost is to offset the R&D, and tooling up for low volume production.
Old 12-13-2011, 05:00 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

Why cant a company make some durable plastic ''low cost'' ones. I know some have modded the toy mattracks to work with 12mm hex, but in order for them to be any good the tread on the track has to be fairly deep like on these.
well I can somewhat understand why they are metal. You do not want plastic on parts that are going to take any real abuse in winter cause lets face it they will crack pretty easy. Looking at it there isn't much that could be really made of plastic except maybe the wheels for the tracks that are on the bottom.
I would buy a set of 4 is they were maybe half the price, but I can understand the cost is to offset the R&D, and tooling up for low volume production.
i hear you, but thats what i want....a company to make a HIGH volume run! That way anyone in the hobby could afford them. I just hate it when totally cool parts are limited to those with fat wallets.
Old 12-13-2011, 05:31 PM
proanti1
My Feedback: (2)

Too bad they can only be used with Axial cars.
Old 12-13-2011, 05:43 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

ORIGINAL: proanti1

why is that?
I know that axial uses those wheel hexes with the bump, but i dont see what it wouldnt work on some other 4wd models that use a 12mm hex.
Old 12-13-2011, 05:45 PM
dragnse7en
Banned

If the 12mm hex hub is deep enough on those tracks, it should fit all trucks that use that same hub system.
Old 12-13-2011, 06:10 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

why is that?
I know that axial uses those wheel hexes with the bump, but i dont see what it wouldnt work on some other 4wd models that use a 12mm hex.
X2, Savage XS aluminum hexes would work for anything they'd bolt on to.

Totally cool, but not $200+ worth of cool ITBJHO.
Old 12-13-2011, 06:38 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

why is that?

agreed, not $240 worth of coolness. I could see a tad over $100 for a set of four. Maybe $150.

I would have also like to see a more agressive tread. Sure, the one looks scale but I would only pay that kinda cash if it could be really able to go threw alot of snow.
Old 12-13-2011, 06:43 PM
proanti1

why is that?

The entire track system has to remain stationary to the car. RC4WD sells an adapter you have to buy to run them, and the only adapter they sell is the one designed for Axial. The adapter basically keeps the entire thing from rotating when you hit the throttle. It locks the main part of the track system to the axle. If you just bolted the thing onto any 12mm hex, they would be useless, the whole track system would just spin clockwise.
Old 12-13-2011, 06:51 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

why is that?

The entire track system has to remain stationary to the car. RC4WD sells an adapter you have to buy to run them, and the only adapter they sell is the one designed for Axial. The adapter basically keeps the entire thing from rotating when you hit the throttle. It locks the main part of the track system to the axle. If you just bolted the thing onto any 12mm hex, they would be useless, the whole track system would just spin clockwise.
the adapter isn't included in the $120 a pair price? sheesh talk about over priced...
Funny thing is I wanted them for my axial [&:]
Old 12-13-2011, 07:19 PM
proanti1

Yep. $20 for the rear adapters, and $35 for the front. That brings the entire system to a whopping $295, not including tax or shipping of course. That's a lot of money for something that only works on one car. They aren't even compatible with RC4WD cars yet.

http://store.rc4wd.com/Predator-Trac...s-_p_1955.html

http://store.rc4wd.com/Predator-Trac...s-_p_1954.html

Old 12-13-2011, 07:57 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

OMG, adapters sold seperatly!!! I wonder if they would make adapters for the stampede 4x4.

I was forgeting you would need a part to keep it locked to the wheel hub[&:]

Its hard to imagine spending $300 for a full set. You can get some pretty nice RTR vehicles for that kinda money.

I can see that they are built to last, and the RC4WD name I equate to quality. But I still think they could have done a simillar product at a lower cost.

I wonder if they could handle brushless, high speed applications???

Old 12-13-2011, 08:25 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

well I take back what I said about if they were half price I would get them more like 2/5ths their current price seeing overpriced adapters for the only model it works with are not included. For what they are charging the damn things should be made completely out of titanium
Old 12-13-2011, 08:28 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

anyone else feel like these are in the same area as the traxxas xo-1?

Its awsome....we would all like to have them.....but we all feel they are overpriced.

This all means that only a select few will ever have them. Is a shame really. They are so nice!

Old 12-13-2011, 08:35 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Its awsome....we would all like to have them.....but we all feel they are overpriced.

This all means that only a select few will ever have them. Is a shame really. They are so nice!

well thing is the X0-1 has a more broad appeal to more than these. These are more specialty, and have limited uses (ok not like a 100 mph car doesn't have many uses outside flooring it). Also a lot more engineering, and actual parts went into the X0-1. So for what went into the X0 its not over priced. Most of us consider it over priced cause the majority don't want the idevice tied electronics, batteries or charger that come with it that jacks its price up.

Honestly if a wheel/wheel replacement costs more than the RC they are made for the are way over priced. Could buy a damn tamiya tank for the cost of one set for running in the snow, or even a kyosho blizzard, and IMO those are ridiculously priced but would do way better than a truck with these on it.
Old 12-13-2011, 09:11 PM
dragnse7en
Banned

[well thing is the X0-1 has a more broad appeal to more than these. These are more specialty, and have limited uses (ok not like a 100 mph car doesn't have many uses outside flooring it). Also a lot more engineering, and actual parts went into the X0-1. So for what went into the X0 its not over priced. Most of us consider it over priced cause the majority don't want the idevice tied electronics, batteries or charger that come with it that jacks its price up.

Honestly if a wheel/wheel replacement costs more than the RC they are made for the are way over priced. Could buy a damn tamiya tank for the cost of one set for running in the snow, or even a kyosho blizzard, and IMO those are ridiculously priced but would do way better than a truck with these on it.
lol - and the road wheels actually work like a real tank too, and you certainly wouldn't have to worry about wheel adapters, or even flipping the thing

Old 12-13-2011, 09:17 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

ThunderbirdJunkie personally doesn't see the cost all that prohibitive...the problem is, the cost plus the limited functionality of these is the root problem. If they did an all machined Delrin, or injection molded nylon version for around $100-150 for the whole shebang, that'd be awesome. ThunderbirdJunkie has pissed away $300 on a whim on stuff before, but he gets a lot more use out of a Tekin RX8 combo, or a Savage XS Flux, or rock rails for his Jeep than he does out of something like Mattracks.

RC4wd has a lot of cool stuff...but ThunderbirdJunkie is just not in the niche to blow that kind of dough in that niche.
Old 12-13-2011, 09:19 PM
rclugnut10
My Feedback: (1)

i think they are expensive but all of RC4WD stuff is, it's a lot of small run, parts for people who want something specific and are willing to pay it.... and are the best best best design in the world, no but they're scale and they look cool and seem to work very well from video's and i think the cool factor would make it worth it in the end... as a college kid at a tech school i wouldn't dream of dropping that kinda $ on these, but in 5-10 years i could see it happen...

the lug
Old 12-13-2011, 09:23 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

well thing is the X0-1 has a more broad appeal to more than these. These are more specialty, and have limited uses (ok not like a 100 mph car doesn't have many uses outside flooring it). Also a lot more engineering, and actual parts went into the X0-1. So for what went into the X0 its not over priced. Most of us consider it over priced cause the majority don't want the idevice tied electronics, batteries or charger that come with it that jacks its price up.

Hit the nail on the head.
and as TBJ said, if they made them out of delrin or nylon and @ $150 they would be way cooler.

Oh well. Those of us that are complaining are really only doing so cause we aint rich I know thats my issue anyway...lol

I have to think hard before I drop $300 on a RTR brushless model. Never would I consider spending $300 on upgrade parts!
Old 12-13-2011, 11:47 PM
ahab.st.one
My Feedback: (1)

as many have said before me this is cool but dont have the scratch to drop on 'em
Old 12-14-2011, 08:49 AM
proanti1

ThunderbirdJunkie personally doesn't see the cost all that prohibitive...the problem is, the cost plus the limited functionality of these is the root problem. If they did an all machined Delrin, or injection molded nylon version for around $100-150 for the whole shebang, that'd be awesome. ThunderbirdJunkie has pissed away $300 on a whim on stuff before, but he gets a lot more use out of a Tekin RX8 combo, or a Savage XS Flux, or rock rails for his Jeep than he does out of something like Mattracks.

RC4wd has a lot of cool stuff...but ThunderbirdJunkie is just not in the niche to blow that kind of dough in that niche.
It is RC4WD, they are known for ridiculously expensive, unique stuff. They probably only plan on selling a few, I already know of one person who has ordered these, I'm sure there are a lot more out there. I am actually seriously considering it, but that would require digging my AX10 out of storage.
Old 12-14-2011, 10:48 AM
The Mad Modder

and as TBJ said, if they made them out of delrin or nylon and @ $150 they would be way cooler.
Problem is even if they made them of delrin, they'd still charge the same amount of money. That was the case with the axle housings that they made.

As far as injection molding goes, I don't think they've ever molded anything but their tires before.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.