Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Runaway Rally (RS4)

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2003, 06:28 PM
Kitsune
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Runaway Rally (RS4)

I have an Rs4 Rally that is constantly glitching on me. It all stared when I decided to add a new antena wire to my (AM) reciever. Instead of adding the new wire to my old wire like the instructions said I stupidly tried to solder it directly to the board. I basically ended up messing up the reciever and so I bought a new one. After installing the new reciever my Rally it has been glitching alot and I have even lost controll of it for a few seconds while driving. I'm positive that everything is hooked up right but still it glitches. I cut the new recievers antena wire shorter since it seemed rediculously long to begin with and I had to wrap it very tight around itself before cutting it. Can anyone help me out? I know it's only an AM system but I had no problems before, even when my reciever anttena was much shorter.
If it helps my complete electronics setup is the following and is in a HPI RS4 rally.
Tower hobbies radio
Futaba AM reciever
Novak Fusion ESC
Trinity speed gem motor (Ruby) yes I did put capacitors on it
using cheap radio shack batteries
Old 08-25-2003, 07:05 PM
NitroFreak

You can never Cut an Attena wire. They are frequency matched. even if you cut this much --> | | <-- from the wire you can drasticaly change the radio range.
Old 08-25-2003, 07:05 PM
kn7671

I didn't think you were ever supposed to cut the antenna wire?
Old 08-26-2003, 05:21 PM
Kitsune
My Feedback: (7)

Thanks for your help! At first I didn't cut it but it was way too long so I just wrapped it around the anttena tube. After I tested it out in this configuration, I was having some glitching so I decided to cut a small amount off. I theroized that having so much antenna bunched up was causing the glitching. Now that I think about it, though, I did first test it in my basement (lotsa large metal objects there which might mess up reception). Whops thanks again!!
Old 08-27-2003, 12:30 AM
metallicgreygsr

Default Don't ever cut the antenna wire

Never cut the antenna wire unless you know the wavelength of the frequency you are working at. Usually receiving antennas are in multilples of 1/4th wavelengths. Thats why when you look on mountains AM antennas are must larger than FM due to the frequency difference. I believe the formula to get the wavelength in meters is lambda = C(speed of light) / F The Speed of light is 3X10E8 meters per sec. F is the frequency in hertz. So never cut the antenna otherwise it won't be accepting the right frequency.
Old 09-13-2003, 04:09 AM
Scott Racing

Default RE: Runaway Rally (RS4)

most recivers have a stated lenght like 30 cm ive seen antennas 4 cm long and the car still gose out of stite. It also depends on your transmitter some go further then others