Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Traxxas=crappy support

ORIGINAL: t9dragon

ORIGINAL: dwilt72

ORIGINAL: t9dragon

Just dump the Traxxas VXL they are known to be crappy and get a MMP.
    After spending almost $400 on THIS one, I would like to get IT to work! Telling me to get rid of what I bought is not exactly helping. I'm not into this to be a sponsored racer, etc, just wanting to have a little fun.
    I am telling you from expirence. My son and I each had the 4wd Slash and had all sorts of issues with the VXL and once I replaced it with the MM no more problems. I also had issues with the VXL that was in the Traxxas mini's..
    Sorry. New to this side of the hobby and some of the lingo associated with it. I didn't realize you were just talking about the motor. I thought you meant the entire truck. Seems like some people like to get on here and just bash a product and tell people to just get rid of their truck and buy a "real truck". Seen a lot of that. I am familiar with the plane side of the hobby, but new to trucks.

I think I have a game plan. I talked to Mike's Hobby Shop. Their first suggestion was indeed to get rid of the removable cables for the lipo. That is quick and cheap. If that doesn't do it, from what I'm hearing Traxxas is more willing to work with you than they sound on the phone. I'm sure those guys are just reading off a script and spewing the company policy. Mike's told me a guy had a Traxxas glow motor that was a year old and Traxxas gave him a new motor.

In summary, it sounds like Traxxas is more flexible than I first believed. I will update this post so that people in the future might be able to see what actually fixed the issue. I appreciate everyone's help!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Are you talking about the removable cable that plugs into the top of the battery? My batteries do have those. The removable cables have Traxxas connectors on them. I have tried two different batteries and two different cables.
    The one on the left is the crappy venom universal connection/plug and the one on the right is a genuine traxxas connection/plug... Not sure what plugs your nanotech batts have but after the trouble I had with the venom ones I won't even bother with anything but genuine traxxas plugs.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

These appear to be the failsafe mechanisms built into the 3s ESC

Two-stage thermal shutdown protection protects the VXL-3s from overheating.
    Locked Rotor Protectionβ„’ prevents system damage by cutting power if the vehicle is stuck or the motor is bound.
    Sensor Phase Detectionβ„’ protects against improperly wiring aftermarket sensored motors.
    Sensored Motor Backup protection causes the VXL-3s to switch to sensorless operation if a motor sensor fails or sensor wires become disconnected. Sensored motors can be used without connecting the sensor wires to the sensor port on the ESC.
    Battery Over-Voltage Protectionβ„’ causes the ESC to go into failsafe mode if the maximum input voltage is exceeded.
    You said the truck goes full throttle off the ground. I wonder if when you place it on the ground if it is somehow kicking in the Locked Rotor Protection...

Are you running 2S or 3S batteries?

Are all of your ESC to motor wire connections tight? Are they installed in the proper order?
    *** Support your local tracks ***

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I find it odd that you are having any issues with traxxas support. I own dozens of their ESC's, motors and servos and while some have died, traxxas has always replaced them without much fuss. I sent an old yellow XL5 to them after it quit. Im not 100% sure why it quit but I thought it was because I got it wet. I called them, explained the problem and sent it in. Two weeks later I get a brand new blue XL5 in the mail at no charge. They've replaced a couple VXL esc's no questions asked as well and all were well out of the warranty period. Some by a couple years or longer.

Call traxxas and explain the problem. They will take care of you and it will be done quickly.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Are you sure its the esc. Last time i checked the rx is more sensitive to movement so trying to isolate the rx and test it is advised. Also check the radio plugs because if a power wire fails the esc will act like its off.
    Gws Slow Stick Brushless

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

traxxas has been the best support to me than any other company. ship the esc to them and write whats it doing and ur name and number. i just bought a slash 4x4 2 days ago. but they are nice people but i do agree they could make there products alot better.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

yeah if every company made there products very well bult, then how would they make money on the upgrade parts that they sell you to fix the broken part?
    !!!Bash Like There\'\'s No Repair Bills!!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ThunderbirdJunkie thinks there's just one guy at Traxxas that gives people issues. A dude had a brand new Revo 3.3 and during the initial radio check, the reverse servo wound up being DOA.

He called Traxxas and the guy said "Oh, you don't need reverse. Just take the servo out and get the forward only conversion."

$600 truck, and the manufacturer says "yeah, those servos are crap anyway", and telling him he should remove a factory feature because it shouldn't be there in the first place[&:]

Granted, this mirrors ThunderbirdJunkie's opinion (FOC on a Revo), but that doesn't mean it's the right way to treat a customer. It's probably the same cat.
    \"Some people can mess up an anvil with a rubber hammer\" -46u
    If you don\'\'t allow yourself to fail, you\'\'ll never allow yourself to succeed-ThunderbirdJunkie

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

My god TBJ you have a lot of personal examples. i will defflook you up if i need yout help

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

That happened to somebody else, ThunderbirdJunkie just talked to the guy.
    \"Some people can mess up an anvil with a rubber hammer\" -46u
    If you don\'\'t allow yourself to fail, you\'\'ll never allow yourself to succeed-ThunderbirdJunkie

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ive had more traxxas stuff conk out on me than anything else (especially radios, run-away anyone?)

i never hold my breath for warranties on anything r/c, most companies really dont care much, and they can pin it on abuse, wear and tear or whatever.

try to plead your case and send it in, if you get a new one great, if not just get a $40 generic esc- 10X better than traxxas in my opinion.
    Signature
    (Max. 125 chars. 2 lines max)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: samguan

what I find with these big RC companies is that you have to talk to them nicely and explain things to them. They will help you out most of the time.
    That's pretty much the golden rule for everything in life. If you go into any situation acting like a jerk and expecting people to help you, don't be surprised when it doesn't happen more often than not.

If you are professional and courteous, most people in a service business will go out of their way to help you. They want to keep customers like you.

Act like a jerk and expect someone to listen to your rant because you feel entitled to treat them that way by virtue of the fact you bought a product from their company, and watch how long it takes them to lift a finger.

Traxxas support is well known in the RC world for being one of the best in the business. They are the only company that offers free telephone support, a forum, and warranty/non-warranty repair services. And they do it in a friendly and courteous way more often than not. (I realize that other companies have warranty support. Traxxas offers a lot more support than their competition is my point)

It sucks that your truck crapped out on you. Welcome to the wonderful world of electronic devices. Castle has had the similar problems with quality control in some of their ESCs, so they are not immune to QC problems in mass production, either.

30 days is a pretty reasonable warranty on electronics, considering the harsh environments most RC trucks are subjected to the minute they come out of the box.

Ecen though its sold "RTR", any new truck should be thoroughly looked over and inspected when you get it. A lot can happen to a truck during transit. Screws loosen up, wires connectors work loose. Always a good idea to check the connections.

Like the Thunder Tiger MT4 G3? Check it out on wondertiger.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

yeah it never helps to be mad going into stuff.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

ThunderbirdJunkie thinks there's just one guy at Traxxas that gives people issues. A dude had a brand new Revo 3.3 and during the initial radio check, the reverse servo wound up being DOA.

He called Traxxas and the guy said "Oh, you don't need reverse. Just take the servo out and get the forward only conversion."

$600 truck, and the manufacturer says "yeah, those servos are crap anyway", and telling him he should remove a factory feature because it shouldn't be there in the first place[&:]

Granted, this mirrors ThunderbirdJunkie's opinion (FOC on a Revo), but that doesn't mean it's the right way to treat a customer. It's probably the same cat.
    So if you purchase a 4wd car and the front differential is missing or doa, is he going to say, you don't need 4wd, take out the front dogbones and run rwd?

Thunder Tiger MT4 G3- Tamiya TA06 Pro

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I wouldnt say they have to bad of support.
    As someone who works with people all day long. People can be very stupid and not realize it. I would try calling again. You may have come across cross or someone might have pissed in his coffee.
    "Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results."
    Slash 1/16 - DB-01 - TT-01 - RC18B and a Super Cub!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: The_Shark

ive had more traxxas stuff conk out on me than anything else (especially radios, run-away anyone?)

i never hold my breath for warranties on anything r/c, most companies really dont care much, and they can pin it on abuse, wear and tear or whatever.

try to plead your case and send it in, if you get a new one great, if not just get a $40 generic esc- 10X better than traxxas in my opinion.
    won't trust anything TQ after I seen 2 out of 3 of their AM's radios fail (one of which wrecked my RC)
    Sad part was the failures were due to interference. On one both of the switch's for reverse on the radio just stopped working while on a nitro which threw it into a WOT run right into a building(I thought the servo arm popped off) tried turning to avoid, but I had no idea both conked out, and it drove it into the building instead(had literally like a split second notice)... Threw the radio at the wall it started working properly again, took the RX out of the RC, and threw it on the side to ever be used.
    My nephews was the other one to just act up(was like 2 weeks later too), and it did so in a similar way.
    3rd radio I stopped using before I did any damage to my truck(or the surrounding property more importantly) specially seeing it was in a savage I was too scared the damage that sucker would do if I lost control in a similar way.
    With great speed comes greater repair bills.
    Click on My models to see some of what I own. Eventually will add the rest

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

traxxas always has been good to me, hpi and tamiya too.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have never, not once had a problem with warranty. I recently had my fathers spartan repaired (mind you traxxas know they had problems with the vendor for the original electronics). that boat was 7 months old, they were great to deal with, they forgot my package in their shipping department, and after 2 weeks found it and mailed it out, but they are only human. Its all about the people skills!!! I have a transmission shop and when i deal with people the way they are definately affects the way they get treated. perfect example .." Good day sir, how are you today?"..."how do you think, I am here to see you!!" usually in a super ignorant voice, i just blow it off and continue to be polite, but no breaks for this guy im thinkin!! oh, and their usually short men that are the worst!!
    oversteer scares passengers, understeer scares drivers!-savagex,-savagexl,-savageflux,-revo3.3,-tmaxx3.3,-losi aftershock ltd

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I agree that the stock slash 4wd electronics are pretty crappy. /that one reason I wanna use a novak ballistic 550 setup in my 4wd slash.
    Losi DT/Losi XX-4/Tamiya TA05/SC10/Tamiya 501x \"WCE\"/Yokomo YR4 M2/F-150/Blackfoot Xtreme

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I took everyone's advice. I wrote a nice letter to Traxxas and since I live locally, I drove over and delivered my Slash to the Plano office. I called today to check on it. The ESC was bad and they indeed did replace it at no charge. I was really frustrated with them when I wrote this post, but as everyone has said, the did make it right. This Slash has been so much fun and is 180 degrees different than flying airplanes. These trucks are so durable and I love being able to run it without worry about tearing it up.

Thanks to everyone that suggested I take it to Traxxas. They really do offer good support.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

glad we could help. traxxas seems to be really good with everything

I took everyone's advice. I wrote a nice letter to Traxxas and since I live locally, I drove over and delivered my Slash to the Plano office. I called today to check on it.
    Wow really?? i heard that you couldnt do that,, How awesome!! how long did it take for them to tell you the esc was bad and how long from time you dropped it off till you picked it up?
    JRockZ

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: JRockZ

I took everyone's advice. I wrote a nice letter to Traxxas and since I live locally, I drove over and delivered my Slash to the Plano office. I called today to check on it.
    Wow really?? i heard that you couldnt do that,, How awesome!! how long did it take for them to tell you the esc was bad and how long from time you dropped it off till you picked it up?
    That doesnt sound very nice

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I took everyone's advice. I wrote a nice letter to Traxxas and since I live locally, I drove over and delivered my Slash to the Plano office. I called today to check on it. The ESC was bad and they indeed did replace it at no charge. I was really frustrated with them when I wrote this post, but as everyone has said, the did make it right. This Slash has been so much fun and is 180 degrees different than flying airplanes. These trucks are so durable and I love being able to run it without worry about tearing it up.

Thanks to everyone that suggested I take it to Traxxas. They really do offer good support.

It's okay. Glad it worked out for you. I caught this post a little late. The same thing happened to me from three different brand of RC vehicles. I was steaming mad at first but they always made it right. And please remember that all companies have people on this Forum and many other forums keeping up with what people are saying about their products. The companies don't miss anything. You have to figure in all the rc vehicles they sell, statisticly they bad parts are few compared to how many they sell.
    I know I've made a lot of mistakes in my life and at my company, and I've always made things right. And continue to do so. We are all just human.
    Later, Johnny
    Full Member of ECMT. Tamiya Hauler with Custom Aluminum Trailers. Drop deck and Flatbed\'\'s, Loading Dock and Scale Garage.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Glad you got it resolved. It was probably better that you showed up at thier door. Depending on what it is traxxas usually replaces it.
    Just be careful next time.
    Losi DT/Losi XX-4/Tamiya TA05/SC10/Tamiya 501x \"WCE\"/Yokomo YR4 M2/F-150/Blackfoot Xtreme

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12