Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

castle creations warranty

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 05:45 PM
chase1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: castle creations warranty

well i just received my replacement esc from castle 3/1/12. shipped it to them 12/15/11. lol,better late than never i geuss
Old 03-01-2012, 08:47 PM
dragnse7en
Banned

{dancing] Celebrate! And have a good time - because you can show it - Celebrate! (mid-1980's song guys, if you get it)

Finally!!!!!!! OMG So, they are actually still in business!!!!!

Did the entire staff all of a sudden come back from that flu and go full force?

NO

The bottom line - are you happier with the newer (refurbished one)? Lol - I got the same thing - a brand new generation MMP in a non-warranty trade, and I paid $50. I am wicked happy! Took me 6 weeks BITD though.

Let us all know what you think about the [cough cough] refurbished one

Old 03-04-2012, 10:42 AM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have experienced the exact same (lack of) responses from Castle. Tried calling, got a voice message saying everyone was too busy to answer my call. Ididn't even get the secretary. No replies to emails. I have gone thru the process of sending the motor in for non-warranty repair (because Idon't have my sales receipt) using their web process and have sent the motor, insured, and requiring a sig on receipt. Ijust wish Icould get a reply of some kind from them. Guess Ijust bide my time and wait......

Another observation: Their "system" doesn't have a selection for individual motors! The only selection that made sense was for "Sidewinder Sv2 combo 1406-5700kv $95". No option for motors only? Iguess they got me over a barrel tho. Ipaid $100 for the system NEW (they go for $150 now) and a new motor is $128!! Ijust hope they're nice to me and fix/replace it under waranty, despite my not having proof-of-purchase.
Old 03-04-2012, 04:14 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

That tells ThunderbirdJunkie they think their motor is worth $128 and their ESC is worth $22.
Old 03-04-2012, 05:41 PM
dragnse7en
Banned

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

That tells ThunderbirdJunkie they think their motor is worth $128 and their ESC is worth $22.
+1 to that - thank you TBJ. The magic of marketing gets us each and every time when it comes to claiming a warranty.

(small fine print in the warranty - we don't not honor the warranty unless pigs fly, the sky rains black frogs, or one out of two of your components crap out. In the case of the latter, contact the manufacturer directly to deal with any problems. Null and void in all 50 states, the planet earth, and anything inside a million light years from your registered address).

I guess I would be a fantastic warranty underwriter!!!!!

Yeah, I still have one of my MMPs out of three that needs repair, and after reading the horror here, I just don't know what to do.

Don't get me wrong - their products are wicked awesome when they work, but when they die, it's sad all around in the house here

Old 03-05-2012, 08:07 AM
EXT2Rob

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

Uh huh....wouldn't surprise me.

More bad news. EGbasher brought up his Castle motor yesterday with the intention of my running it in my car, while my motor gets "fixed". The discovery? Although my ESC appeared alive via CastleLink, the BEC is fried (RX was not getting power consistently) and the motor would not work. ESC power output transistors apparently fried. The motor? Who knows. Maybe it's toast, maybe it isn't. Although I've already sent my motor to Castle, I just emailed them and told them to cancel the repair order and not to charge my VISA. I'm going to replace the whole system, probably with an EZrun, maybe the new DTX setup, although, since the ESC is also a Castle, it makes me wary. The DTX system is already waterproof. And it's only $20 more than an EZrun. Hmmm....what to do? Get a cheap EZrun, or investigate a more exspensive system?

Old 03-05-2012, 08:22 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

Remember that the DTX stuff is Castle...and not much cheaper than an SV2/SCT Sidewinder system.

ITBJHO, it's getting to the point that there are no good, US-based budget brands. Novak's Havoc 3S systems are decent, but outside of them, it's either the big dollar stuff like Tekin or LRP, or the budget stuff like Hobbywing.

CKHobby's got some good budget systems too, and Mike will take care of you in the event of anything bad happening. ThunderbirdJunkie digs his Dualsky speedo, and he just picked up another one of their speedos with a motor for his 22T.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:40 AM
EXT2Rob

Never HEARD of them....how long you been runnin' the DualSky systems?  How many hours?  Since there is no heat-sink, is that ESC sealed and waterproof?

I'm just really bummed....here I thought I was buying a quality product in Castle, but our experience has left a bad taste. Also why I'm not too inclined toward the DTX system, since it's essentially an Sv2 ESC (but apparently a Tekin motor?).  The guys at the LHS run Castle, and they say they've had "no problems".  I've tried to follow their advice as to gearing and monitoring motor  and ESC temps,  I went with a smaller pinion gear when I switched to Losi XXX-T wheels and Gladiator tires because they were a little bigger than the DTX stockers.....I just don't see what I could've done to cause the total failure of the system.

Unless it was the waterproofing I did to the ESC.  Was there some surface-mount component that didn't like being covered with Liquid Tape?  Guess I'll never know.  The guys at the LHS waterproofed their Castles......so what'd I do wrong?  I'm bummin' hard........
Old 03-25-2012, 09:36 AM
EXT2Rob

Huh!  Well, I finally got "a response" from Castle.  This after several emails and attempts at phone calls, and ultimately after I wrote them and said emphatically "DO NOT charge my card to fix my motor" as it seems my ESC it toast too and that I was throwing in the towel and kissing them good by.  The email reply I got was "We'll take care of it."  I don't know what that means, there was no further explaination or hints at what they intended.  Just wait an see I guess. Long as they don't charge me, I don't care. I've already replaced the system with an EZrun.

I've STILL not gotten any answers as to how long a brushless motor should last. (It's possible my old Castle motor is still actually good)  I contend that they should last for THOUSANDS of hours not hundreds. Yet the guys at my LHS say that I run my cars WAY more than anyone they know, and that I just wore it out.  I still can't believe that.
Old 03-25-2012, 10:21 AM
dragnse7en
Banned

How often do you run it?
Old 03-27-2012, 08:00 PM
EXT2Rob

If it ain't raining, I'll run a couple 4000mah LiPos a day, maybe three or four.  I'm retired, 
Old 03-27-2012, 08:28 PM
dragnse7en
Banned

BL motors that I favor would have around 10,000 hours of run time before I would rebuild it. I'm just making my own rules about that, but I think it makes sense. For me, it would be once a year for two I have and every 6-7 months for the other two.
Old 03-28-2012, 01:50 PM
EXT2Rob

Now THAT'S what I'm talkin' 'bout!  Thank you! Finally someone agrees that a BL motor should last in the tens-of-thousands of hours.  I admit, I'm fairly new to this hobby, but I understand basic mechanics.  As I've said, I thought I was buying a product that was going to last a long long time, but in my case, it did not.  It seems that a motor system in the $150 range is a "mid-priced" system, so one could assume "mid-quality".  I have seen other systems going for over $200, but am not familiar with any of them.  But maybe I should be?  If I am truly "unusual" in the amount that I run my cars, then maybe a "sportsman" level system is not going to hold up to the kinds of hours I put on them?  For example, instead of an EZrun system, I should get Xerun (which  if you believe the marketing, seem to be a little beefier).
Old 03-28-2012, 02:33 PM
dragnse7en
Banned

It seems to me that the higher end systems such as Tekin, LRP, and Novak last longer because they've all been in the business long enough to know how to make a durable product. They also use higher end electonic components instead of cheap ones, and they don't take shortcuts.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:31 PM
pizzn81

i too am in a horrible predicament with CC.  i tried to post it on RCtech forum but was flamed to death by trolls, locked and then deleted.  basically i bought the mmp w/5700 kv 1406, installed it on a b4.1 with the highest recommended gearing and a 2s gens ace 40C 5000mah and it did 12mph.   the Tx was calibrated by numerous people, wiring checked and rechecked, no drag in the drivetrain, slipper clutch set tight.  

i got and am still getting a huge run around from CC.  their initial solution was for me to go out and buy a CC link and if i couldn't fix it with that i had to ship it  to them with my money and then wait an indefinite amount of time for them to return something.  i took it to the LHS and they let me use their link. i updated the firmware, restored all default setting and it was the same.  the manager at the LHS said it was slower than a 20 turn brushed motor with a 6 cell NCd.   so i called them up *****ing up a storm and got them to send me a shipping label for return. i  sent it, and sent an email to them the day they received it (i tracked the package) letting them know i knew that had it.   that was 2 weeks ago.  called in today asking to speak to the tech support manager and "thomas" informed he has no manager, boss, or any sort of accountability.    i asked to speak to the vice president and he firmly declined to transfer me to anyone, when he asked what the problem was  told hm that he was the problem and that  i wanted to speak to somebody within the company with some balls or brains and he hung up.   seriously, i just got screwed out of $200 and there isn't a whole lot i can do about it.

Old 02-14-2013, 10:29 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: pizzn81

i too am in a horrible predicament with CC. i tried to post it on RCtech forum but was flamed to death by trolls, locked and then deleted. basically i bought the mmp w/5700 kv 1406, installed it on a b4.1 with the highest recommended gearing and a 2s gens ace 40C 5000mah and it did 12mph. the Tx was calibrated by numerous people, wiring checked and rechecked, no drag in the drivetrain, slipper clutch set tight.

i got and am still getting a huge run around from CC. their initial solution was for me to go out and buy a CC link and if i couldn't fix it with that i had to ship it to them with my money and then wait an indefinite amount of time for them to return something. i took it to the LHS and they let me use their link. i updated the firmware, restored all default setting and it was the same. the manager at the LHS said it was slower than a 20 turn brushed motor with a 6 cell NCd. so i called them up *****ing up a storm and got them to send me a shipping label for return. i sent it, and sent an email to them the day they received it (i tracked the package) letting them know i knew that had it. that was 2 weeks ago. called in today asking to speak to the tech support manager and ''thomas'' informed he has no manager, boss, or any sort of accountability. i asked to speak to the vice president and he firmly declined to transfer me to anyone, when he asked what the problem was told hm that he was the problem and that i wanted to speak to somebody within the company with some balls or brains and he hung up. seriously, i just got screwed out of $200 and there isn't a whole lot i can do about it.

you resurrected an old thread
But no matter personally I never saw anything special in CC stuff. Only thing its done better than the other ESC's I own is make my wallet lighter.
There are a few CC fans here, but hey generally don't flame like rabid dogs, used to be a pile of CC fans till they got burned. Then they went to telling ppl to get tekin

Shocked CC didn't blame your batteries, and say they weren't up to par that was always one of their favorite excuses to tr and get out of warranties that I remember reading