Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

short course interchangable parts

Old 01-19-2012, 09:11 AM
Ducat1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default short course interchangable parts

i have a helion dominus 10sc and im pleased with it, but i wanna change to either rpm parts or aluminum parts, they sell a kit on rcplanet for aluminum parts but i dont wanna buy it if it doesnt fit. shock towers, a arms, front and back bumbers, ect. also the spur gear i was wondering if i can change it to a metal or aluminum one thanks
Old 01-19-2012, 11:55 AM
Sunfirefoot
My Feedback: (30)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: short course interchangable parts

An all aluminum kit for the dominus?? I'll have to look into that.
Old 01-19-2012, 12:00 PM
Sunfirefoot

Do you have a link, I just ran a search on rcplanet and couldn't find anything. I also have a dominus and would like to upgrade a few things.
Old 01-19-2012, 12:47 PM
Ducat1

i dont think there is, atleast i didnt find one, i was talking about the aluminum kit for the slash http://www.rcplanet.com/Integy_Alloy...tt8547blue.htm cuz i either wanna buy that or rpm stuff for it, im going to start racing it but dont wanna break stuff inbetween races. also wanna know if http://www.google.com/products/catal...ed=0CGQQ8wIwAQ the spur gear will fit i just stripped the second one and i dont know why. really getting frustrated
Old 01-19-2012, 01:42 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

I'll be honest I HIGHLY doubt most of those parts will fit. Besides the majority of them being absolutely worthless...

Generally when you start mixing parts made for other brands you have to have a pretty good degree of ability to modify it to fit. And not to sound like a *****, but seeing you are asking this question I highly doubt you have the skills that might be needed to modify slash parts to fit.
Old 01-19-2012, 02:45 PM
t9dragon
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should have bought a Slash.
Old 01-19-2012, 03:04 PM
Ducat1

it was a christmas present
Old 01-19-2012, 03:09 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

well after looking at the helion parts blow up I can honestly say I doubt any of those parts would work at all. It would require such heavy modification it would bea easier to just make the shock towers from scratch, along with most the rest.

Also do NOT get aluminum A-arms they are the WORST Hop-up for a RC
Old 01-19-2012, 06:34 PM
Sunfirefoot

Oh see, you didn't specify that, that's ok though. No, regardless what you may have heard, slash parts won't fit without modifying the hell out of the main suspension mounting locations. It's not worth the risk because the functionality would be questionable.
Old 01-19-2012, 08:13 PM
someone got it already

ORIGINAL: Ducat1

i have a helion dominus 10sc and im pleased with it, but i wanna change to either rpm parts or aluminum parts, they sell a kit on rcplanet for aluminum parts but i dont wanna buy it if it doesnt fit. shock towers, a arms, front and back bumbers, ect. also the spur gear i was wondering if i can change it to a metal or aluminum one thanks
Ducat, go ahead and try what you can, but it will be a great deal of trial and error... and that gets expensive! I've learned more about RC from modifying/mix matching and tinkering than I have by leaving stuff "as is". Go for it. One thing of advice that I don't think anyone mentioned... Stay plastic on the spur! You need that $3.00 spur gear to take the abuse so that you can save driveline parts, and hopefully keep the motor functional. Once you have the hang of setting gear mesh, you shouldn't go through too many spurs. Also, you don't have a slipper clutch in your dominus... unless you bought the "upgrade." If you havn't bought the "upgrade" slipper clutch.... buy it first! you will probably go through less spur gears if you have a well adjusted slipper clutch. Also, aluminum parts seem to give people headaches... they don't break right away, but many people complain that they bend, become weak, then break. just my 2 cents........ imho

Modification tool list...
1. Dremel
2. Drill/bits
3. Soldering Iron (for plastic welding)
4. Tenacity
5. Stubborness

A monkey has the skills to modify plastic, and piece it together

Old 01-20-2012, 07:22 AM
Scottgir

Do you have a LHS nearby that sells other brands of short course trucks?

Bring your truck down and just line up the parts side by side. You might find that an a-arm for say a Losi or SC10 are very close to fitting. A common mod required is usually going to be hinge pins (different diameter holes) which is easy with a drill and steady hand.
Old 01-20-2012, 07:31 AM
The Mad Modder

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

well after looking at the helion parts blow up I can honestly say I doubt any of those parts would work at all. It would require such heavy modification it would bea easier to just make the shock towers from scratch, along with most the rest.

Especially integy ones. Their aluminum parts are infamous for bending easily.
Old 01-20-2012, 10:52 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: The Mad Modder

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

Especially integy ones. Their aluminum parts are infamous for bending easily.
for the most part I think one of their only decent parts was the rear HD carrier for the savage.
Outside that the majority of their stuff sucks, and is just for show on shelf queens.

@someone got it already agree I've modified other parts to fit other RC's, also agree its VERY expensive to do once you start, and can be just a huge waste of cash in the end if it doesn't work out.