Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Mamba Monster and BEC

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 02:15 AM
yakfish
My Feedback: (27)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Mamba Monster and BEC

I recently purchased a used Mamba Monster 2200 combo for my 8ight 2.0 e-converted buggy. It also came with a castle creations BEC already installed. is it really nessasry to use it? from what I understand the ESC already has a BEC set at 5.5v so I shouldn't have to worry about frying my servo without this extra BEC right. the only advantage that I can see to having it is that I could program it to 7.4v for hig voltage servos. Am I missing something here? Thanks.
Old 01-27-2012, 03:11 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Mamba Monster and BEC

All the Mamba internal BECs are to put it in a word 'weak'. If you have a separate one, use it. I recommend anyone using any ESC with the word Mamba in it, to run an external BEC.
Old 01-27-2012, 05:43 AM
savagecommander

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that was the cause of the big mamba XL and hydra recall. blown BEC's. i dont know about the monster, but sometimes the max can cut power to the rx with a high powered servo. if you have the space, run the BEC. it will only benefit.
Old 01-27-2012, 07:50 AM
pure speed:]

I recently got a couple Castle replacments and they seem to have A LOT better internal BEC .My old Sidewinder wouldnt barely run 1 hitec85mg servo and kept cutn out, an now runs 7leds 2servos flawlessly.My MMM seems to be better to
Old 01-27-2012, 08:08 AM
Foxy

Try a Savox servo. If it turns under load without causing general ESC failure, I'll agree.

Don't get me wrong, I don't blame Castle for the phenomenally juicy and inefficient savox servo range, but the fact remains, they are the only range of ESCs that I know of which are unable to handle the Savox high speed or high torque servos (I've tried a pro and a max and in both when turning, the ESC flipped out and powered the motor and did all kinds of crazy stuff. Very dangerous).

So the fault lies somewhere in the middle. Castle INTERNAL BECs are weak AND Savox servos are way too juicy. Whether or not Castle have addressed this quietly I don't know, but I doubt it, since it is well enough known that if they did make a change, they would probably sing about it (ie you would see on all Castle products something along the lines of; New updated HD BEC! or something like that.
Old 01-27-2012, 09:40 AM
dragnse7en
Banned

ORIGINAL: Foxy

All the Mamba internal BECs are to put it in a word 'weak'. If you have a separate one, use it. I recommend anyone using any ESC with the word Mamba in it, to run an external BEC.
Yes - the older stock they used to have, their vendors in Mexico gave them bad electronic parts for their BECs. I am surprised that Castle hasn't made a recall on this.

2 out of my 3 MMPs had to get repaired because of this.

There was even a time when I called a tech during that time, and said that they're changing out the 6amp BEC to a 10amp BEC, and in the mean time, get an external one. If the internal one fries out, there's no way to use the external one once the internal one is blown out.

Old 01-27-2012, 10:04 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: Foxy

Try a Savox servo. If it turns under load without causing general ESC failure, I'll agree.

Don't get me wrong, I don't blame Castle for the phenomenally juicy and inefficient savox servo range, but the fact remains, they are the only range of ESCs that I know of which are unable to handle the Savox high speed or high torque servos (I've tried a pro and a max and in both when turning, the ESC flipped out and powered the motor and did all kinds of crazy stuff. Very dangerous).

So the fault lies somewhere in the middle. Castle INTERNAL BECs are weak AND Savox servos are way too juicy. Whether or not Castle have addressed this quietly I don't know, but I doubt it, since it is well enough known that if they did make a change, they would probably sing about it (ie you would see on all Castle products something along the lines of; New updated HD BEC! or something like that.
or charge extra for it like the CC Cap pack which should be included in their ESC's
Old 01-27-2012, 10:44 AM
yakfish
My Feedback: (27)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thanks for the replies. I guess I will leave it in there. I was wanting to loose some of the extra wiring and clean things up abit but I will go ahead and run it. Now I need to get the castle link so I can adjust the output!
Old 01-27-2012, 11:52 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

ThunderbirdJunkie has only really seen problems with stock 2.4 RTR radios and Spektrum radios when using Castle ESC's with Savox/Spektrum servos.

Generally a capacitor fixes the problem, although it's a bandaid. ThunderbirdJunkie's Mamba Max had no problems with a Savox servo using a Futaba receiver. Let's not forget the Spektrum receivers are extremely inefficient, too.

ORIGINAL: dragnse7en
There was even a time when I called a tech during that time, and said that they're changing out the 6amp BEC to a 10amp BEC, and in the mean time, get an external one. If the internal one fries out, there's no way to use the external one once the internal one is blown out.
Strange; ThunderbirdJunkie installed an external BEC on an MMM with a fried internal BEC and it worked just dandy. Must be an if/and/or/not problem.
Old 01-27-2012, 03:11 PM
dragnse7en
Banned

I guess mine was too far gone at that time.