Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Are beadlocking wheels a good idea SC10 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 04:19 PM
someone got it already

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are beadlocking wheels a good idea SC10 4x4

Ok, my stock Associated SC10 4x4 is trying to blow the stock tires off the rims. I'm wondering if it would be wise to pay the 40-50 bucks to buy the bead lock style. And, since I haven't bought wheels/tires for this truck before, is there anything I should be looking for? Are the 2wd sc10 wheels comparable? I don't mind gluing, but I have a big problem with REgluing. Thanks
Old 01-30-2012, 04:47 PM
FahrtAutoRC

Default RE: Are beadlocking wheels a good idea SC10 4x4

If you glue them properly then beadlocks are usually a moot point. not trying tostart nothing, of course, but how are you gluing them?
Old 01-30-2012, 05:12 PM
someone got it already

I didn't glue them. I bought the RTR. I haven't had trouble with tires that I have glued in the past.
Old 01-30-2012, 09:32 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

ThunderbirdJunkie had trouble getting tires to stick to the stock AE 4x4 wheels no matter what, and he never has problems with any other wheels with tires coming apart...he honestly thinks there's something wrong with the wheels.
Old 01-31-2012, 10:10 AM
FahrtAutoRC

Try roughing the contact surface where wheel meets tire with some sandpaper, then clean it up real nice with rubbing alcohol, it might help some
Old 01-31-2012, 04:57 PM
chase1

i have run the proline split six beadlocks for about a year and at least on my slash 4x4 the tire will come out from behind the rear bead from time to time. also the screwshave started to strip out from fixing this issue over and over. if your only issue is not wanting to reglue all the time then get a set, but you will still blow a bead sometimes. just a bit quicker and easier to fix at the track maybe.
Old 02-02-2012, 06:01 AM
someone got it already

Is there a way to remove the tire from the wheel without tearing it? I'd like to be able to pull it off and clean out the dirt. And, I guess I'll not worry about bead locks... it sounds like they can be a headache as well.
Old 02-02-2012, 09:51 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie

You could bake them, but you have to replace the foam. Not that the foam in the tire now is any good anyway.

ThunderbirdJunkie puts them in the oven at 350* for 30 minutes, shuts the oven off and pulls them out when everything's cooled down.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:27 AM
JUCD VPR

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

You could bake them, but you have to replace the foam. Not that the foam in the tire now is any good anyway.

ThunderbirdJunkie puts them in the oven at 350* for 30 minutes, shuts the oven off and pulls them out when everything's cooled down.
So if you bake them will it damage the tire or wheel?

I only ask because I have used the Boiling method. Basically it boils all the paint off the rims and half the time the glue still will not let go of the rim.

I need to tape the insides of my GST tires because they are ballooning like crazy, but I was thinking I had to buy an entire set separate wheel/tires that have not been glued. Your thoughts?
Old 02-02-2012, 10:37 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie

Depends. White Associated dish wheels for a B4 will discolor, but other than that, ThunderbirdJunkie hasn't had any wheels or tires get damaged from baking. ThunderbirdJunkie also has only done this with one pair of chrome wheels, and they were already thrashed, so he doesn't remember or care if the wheels were discolored on the chrome ones.

DE Racing and ProLine white wheels seem unaffected by baking.