Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more
Reload this Page >

Are you new to RC? This is my opinion on entry level 4x4 truck choices.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Are you new to RC? This is my opinion on entry level 4x4 truck choices.

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 12:07 AM
Aljo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Are you new to RC? This is my opinion on entry level 4x4 truck choices.

ORIGINAL: Eman77

Question on the HPI Bullet - are the wheels and tires on it MT sized? Truggy sized? Or what? I just can't tell, they look huge (but it could be just how they are compared to that chassis)

Based on the info provided in the post a shared these are the dimensions.
- Rim diameter: 84mm
- Wheel diameter: 130mm
- Tyre width: 68mm

ORIGINAL: Mysterious
This fancy thing you're on called the internet eliminates being confined by what your LHS stocks. Neither LHS here stocks HPI but I told the one that gave me the best price to order in a Savage Flux as my 1st vehicle.. parts I just buy off ebay... but whatever vehicle floats your boat... no sense buying something you like less just cause its available locally

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM
90% of the time unless its some extremely popular RC at the hobby shops when I went(this is true at the ones I've gone to) generally am told they can get the part in 3-5 business days...
So drive there do the order drive back wait 3-5 days just to go back again, and pay a markup vs waiting the same time in my house. This is a major killer to me seeing it costs me literally $8 in gas to go back and forth once so in the end I would pay 10% markup, 10% tax, and $16 on top of what I can get off the net with no effort. Now if your LHS is close, low markup, and low taxes it might work out good in the end, but for a good chunk of us it doesn't. 
Also paypal can debit from your checking if you want if you don't like credit.

ORIGINAL: Eman77
Our LHS (by my work) went out of business. Only stocked Traxxas parts, and HPI parts for stuff I didn't own. Nice. I'm just fine ordering online, as I get much, much better variety of what I want. I can deal with a few days wait. There are times at work where I was so busy I couldn't get to the LHS for days anyway (and sometimes THEY would have to order it for me, more delays). Online is so much easier for me.

ORIGINAL: phmaximus
Good point, If the LHS has to order it why not order it yourself?

One of the other resons i dont go to my LHS (appart from price & availability) hows a ezrun 35a combo is just under $150!!!!! what a rip...
It run by a grumpy old man, & honestly they no nothing about the newer cars. Even on this forum there has been a few cases of there LHS giving out bad advice.

All these points are exactly my thoughts and experiences.
Ezrun 35AMP ESC here at my LHS wants $260 for it that is stupid but that is what they want, talk about mark up!
Old 02-16-2012, 01:31 AM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Are you new to RC? This is my opinion on entry level 4x4 truck choices.

Speaking of that, A while ago i signed up to Yeah Racing as a wholesaler.....
There ESC are exactly the same as the ezrun 35a ESC

I can get a complete combo (ESC, Motor & program card) for US$58.44 version 1.
and version 2 with additinal tornado fan for $69, only down side i have to order 10 at a time.
Old 02-17-2012, 03:33 PM
Aljo

LOL 10 at a time!
Old 02-18-2012, 06:33 PM
xmod3563

The REDCAT CALDERA 10e is a great truck for really cheap (under $200). 4wd, brushless, handles great and very reliable.

Only weak areas I see are servo-related items and the flimsy body. Otherwise its a great truck.

Here's some videos of my Caldera 10e (sorry, there is some really bad camera work in these videos; i was driving and filming at the same time so the truck is not always in the video frame).

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpGAq_4jukI[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rp-WOG2EejQ[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9swp4AHBiA[/youtube]