Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more
Reload this Page >

Are you new to RC? This is my opinion on entry level 4x4 truck choices.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Are you new to RC? This is my opinion on entry level 4x4 truck choices.

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 12:18 AM
Aljo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are you new to RC? This is my opinion on entry level 4x4 truck choices.

Starting this thread to get some feed back on my opinion on choices for friends and family for entry level 4WD Trucks/Truggies.

Has to be affordable around $500ish max delivered.
Everything included if not included need to show good choices.
Charger needs to be able to connect to mains power and charge battery faster than an all night or all day time frame.
Parts and hopups need to be available either online RC store or EBay.
Needs to be close to full size (full size is the term I use for the new people for us in the know 1/10scale).

So I have gone through many different choices and have come to the conclusion that the best entry level setup should have waterproof electronics so if it runs through a puddle it doesn't wreck your fun by killing the electronics which can cost from $80 to $200 to fix/replace depending on what gets damaged.
Also the car should be a brand that has good support and part availability so if something does break you can source the best prices.
So that all being said these are my recommendations starting from my pick based on these points and considering price.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____________________________________________

!Attention!
Click pictures to be taken to sites for the purchases.
When the RTR combo does not include battery or charger this is the combo I refer to for $90.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____________________________________________
#1.
1/16 Traxxas Summit RTR

This is not a full sized car but good balance in all areas. 2 Videos down below so you can see the size in someone's hands.

1/16 Traxxas Summit review
Summit Reviewed

<object width="640" height="385"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wjFZ7hNPNEs&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>
(watch this on YouTube for more options)

Traxxas 1/16 Summit VXL 4WD Brushless Unboxing
We crack open the Traxxas 1/16 Summit VXL 4WD brushless RTR and give you a little review including the pros and cons.
Max. AU $350 delivered from the USA comes with everything including battery and charger though the charger is very slow and takes many hours to finish charging the pack but hook up in the morning before school should be ready when he gets home. Available in Yellow, Blue, Red or White. Watch video below to know a bit more about them as they are not full size RC but great all rounder, price, quality, waterproof, speed and all terrain basher. Can go alot faster than it does in it's stock battery setup. I can order you a good charger (1week ETA) for $58 delivered it will charge the pack in 15 to 30min depending what setting is selected (but still have the cheap charger to start playing).

HPI Racing Savage XS Flux 4WD Waterproof 2.4GHz RTR.

Not full size RC but bigger than the Stampede above but smaller than the one Bullet ST below.
$324.98 Delivered from the USA but need battery and charger which the combo costs $90 so total would be $414.98

#3 (my fav but it is higher in the price range)
HPI Bullet ST FLUX RTR

This is a full sized car and is water proof. Video down below.

<object width="640" height="385"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/UvCYQBZGCOI&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>
(watch this on YouTube for more options)

HPI Bullet Flux (2.4 GHz)

Blast Away with the Updated, Waterproof Bullet ST Flux!
$411 Delivered from the USA 3week ETA.(my discount code is applied) but still need a battery and charger. Battery and Charger bundle is $90. Charger plugs into the 240v wall plug where most other chargers need a car battery to plug too or a power supply that alone costs $45 so this charger has it all in one and it charges all types of RC batteries.
So in total you are looking at $501 but this car will last him for years. On this battery 8.4V it will go fast but it can handle a more powerful battery 12.6V which will take this beast to the next level once he learns to handle this setup. Now this car is available in Australia for $439 delivered but still need battery and charger so + 90 would be $529 and should have it all in a week.

OmniModels

Traxxas Stampede 4x4 VXL Brushless RTR Monster Truck w/2.4Ghz Radio, Battery & Wall Charger is a complete package and delivered to Australia is only $447 (Discount code CALPJAN1225)
Full size RC

Now after these 3 the price just climbs. There are cheaper choices aswell and they are full sized RC trucks but not water proof. Here are the two cheaper that I have chosen.

Cheap Choice #1.
OFNA Hyper 10TT 1/10 Electric Truggy RTR
delivered from the USA for $295 + $90 for the battery and charger = $385
This is a full sized car this car is better quality build than the LRP and has a huge amount of stronger part upgrades known as hopups and stock parts are cheap and easily available.
To choose on a very tight budget, keeping in mind the electronics quality isn't the highest nor is it waterproof this is a good compromise. Down the track you can upgrade the electronics to waterproof for around $200 and this thing will go soooooo much faster than how it comes stock.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________

[b][u]Cheap Choice #2.

Cheap Choice #3.
LRP S10 Blast TX 2.4GHz RTR
Comes with everything for $260 shipped here in Australia so up and running in few days, though again charger is not very good I would pay the extra $58 for the better one (1 week ETA for better charger but have the cheap one to get playing with it) total = $318.
This is full size car and not bad quality for the price but at the end of the day the electronics are not good and the parts support can be delayed and not as strong as the HPI Bullet ST FLUX so won't take crashes as well but the price isn't bad.

Old 02-13-2012, 12:59 AM
rccrazer

Default RE: Are you new to RC? This is my opinion on entry level 4x4 truck choices.

hey their buddy,
i can almost garentee that sombody here is going to want to shoot my face off for saying this but, guys this is my experiance and i am entiteled to an opionion so please keep this clean.

the redcat racing vehicles are really nice choices, the upgrading you can do is almost endless and with 500 dollars at your disposal it's basicly how far do you want to go. i have 11 redcats guys. then 3 hpi's, 1 kyosho, one traxxas, and one yokomo, there is a larger veriety of cars that i work on from the begining of rc history to the presant on a daily basis at work, and redcats make one mean package. the caldera's are excelant choices, as is the volcano epx pro. they have many other choises for you if you want larger or smaller, electric or nitro. it doesn't matter.

i would recomend going electric first so you can learn the ropes before you goi into the high maintainance world of nitro.

www.redcatracing.com

give a smple reply with any questions. my first redcat was the tornado epx ( rushless didn't exist when i got it) it was model number 6 under their line of tornadoes, and after almost 8 years now, i am yet to replace the suspention arm ater abuse that many people here would vomit at with things like trying touring car rims and tires cutting in about 1/8 inch on both sides of the arm.

this is only a recomendation, and it's your money, but like i said i have 11 of them. and i do have reason. so feel free to do as you wish, that's my 2 cents on how i save 2 cents, while continuing to purchase cars i can't believe i continue to find space for.

Old 02-13-2012, 01:43 AM
dragnse7en
Banned

Default RE: Are you new to RC? This is my opinion on entry level 4x4 truck choices.

Tamiya has just annouced the re-release of the Bruiser! *cough cough*
Old 02-13-2012, 04:39 AM
Aljo

ORIGINAL: rccrazer

hey their buddy,
i can almost garentee that sombody here is going to want to shoot my face off for saying this but, guys this is my experiance and i am entiteled to an opionion so please keep this clean.

the redcat racing vehicles are really nice choices, the upgrading you can do is almost endless and with 500 dollars at your disposal it's basicly how far do you want to go. i have 11 redcats guys. then 3 hpi's, 1 kyosho, one traxxas, and one yokomo, there is a larger veriety of cars that i work on from the begining of rc history to the presant on a daily basis at work, and redcats make one mean package. the caldera's are excelant choices, as is the volcano epx pro. they have many other choises for you if you want larger or smaller, electric or nitro. it doesn't matter.

i would recomend going electric first so you can learn the ropes before you goi into the high maintainance world of nitro.

www.redcatracing.com

give a smple reply with any questions. my first redcat was the tornado epx ( rushless didn't exist when i got it) it was model number 6 under their line of tornadoes, and after almost 8 years now, i am yet to replace the suspention arm ater abuse that many people here would vomit at with things like trying touring car rims and tires cutting in about 1/8 inch on both sides of the arm.

this is only a recomendation, and it's your money, but like i said i have 11 of them. and i do have reason. so feel free to do as you wish, that's my 2 cents on how i save 2 cents, while continuing to purchase cars i can't believe i continue to find space for.

Cheers for sharing that mate I can see what you mean. RedCat really does put an awesome package together.
Caldera 10E 1/10 Scale Brushless Truck
Earthquake 8E 1/8 Scale Brushless Electric Monster Truck
Monsoon XTE 1/8 Scale Brushless Electric Truggy
Avalanche XTE 1/8 Scale Brushless Electric Truck
Shredder XT 1/6 Scale Brushless Electric Truck
All these are great packages for the price really great.
The Turnigy cars are Redcat ripoffs by the looks of them.

Old 02-13-2012, 08:48 AM
t9dragon
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Aljo, which ones does your LHS stock parts for. For me it would be an easy choice HPI and than Traxxas, and that is based on parts support from the LHS.
Old 02-13-2012, 09:05 AM
pyromatic177

Yeah t9 is right. my LHS has a TON of traxxas parts and like no HPI parts. so traxxas is the thing to have where i live
Old 02-13-2012, 09:58 AM
Rustproofcorn

ORIGINAL: t9dragon

Hey Aljo, which ones does your LHS stock parts for. For me it would be an easy choice HPI and than Traxxas, and that is based on parts support from the LHS.

Plus 1 on what t9 said here. if they area complete noob as i am have them lookat a rc that has already proved themsleves with time. for instance the xs you mentioned imo is to new for the novice and may discorage them from getting into and then staying in the hobby. i would get somthing that has been out for a few years so that parts are cheap available and frankly stays on the road a little longer than something that hasnt yet stood the test of time

again this is just my opinion. i cant tell you how close i came to saying screw this hobby after buying the xs. but im fealling much better now.
Old 02-13-2012, 01:32 PM
Aljo

Good point mate though here in Australia all parts are either expensive around 3 times the price of the prices in the USA even including shipping still 3/5 the price of the same part here in Australia so as for parts support HPI has support here in Aus including Traxxas but the prices are too high.
So online purchases is the way I go.

So they made a desision HPI Bullet ST Flux will be ordering it this afternoon. 7:30am atm. Off to work.

Old 02-13-2012, 02:43 PM
t9dragon

Not a bad choice... Post some pics of it after they get and lets us know how they like it.
Old 02-14-2012, 02:49 AM
Aljo

Just to make sure battery was going to fit I tracked down the dimensions on a different forum, lucky I did. I thought I would link what I found as the battery I was going to order was a little thick 29mm where the box space is 23mm by the dimensions provided.
Before we get on to the pictures, here are the measurements I took. The HPI site doesn't provide any of these, so I thought that I would, in case you're thinking of modding this, and you want all the info up front.

- Length: 415mm
- Width: 330mm
- Height: 177mm
- Height to handle (shell off): 143mm
- Rim diameter: 84mm
- Wheel diameter: 130mm
- Ground clearance: 53mm
- Distance between center of wheels (breadth): 163mm
- Distance between front and rear drive shaft axle: 281mm
- Tyre width: 68mm
- Battery box width: 23mm (smallest)
- Battery box length: 173mm
- Battery box height: 50mm
- Body shell pin distance (length): 265mm
- Body shell pin distance (breadth): 78mm
- Lowest body pin height: 130mm (from the ground, so 77mm from the chassis)
- Extended shock length: 101mm (from center to center of attachment screws)
- Shell height: 123mm
- Shell length: 405mm
- Shell width: 173mm

Now, on to the pictures!

Old 02-14-2012, 02:53 AM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I totally agree, im from Australia & i dont even bother with my LHS... way to epensive compared to online.
Online ordering is the way for me. only thing i get from my LHS is paint, even then they only have tamiya paint. no spazsti & alclad here...
Old 02-14-2012, 08:25 AM
t9dragon

That is one nice looking truck... I might have to get one down the road to see how it compares to the greatest basher of all time the Savage Flux HP.
Old 02-15-2012, 06:59 AM
Mysterious

ORIGINAL: pyromatic177

Yeah t9 is right. my LHS has a TON of traxxas parts and like no HPI parts. so traxxas is the thing to have where i live
This fancy thing you're on called the internet eliminates being confined by what your LHS stocks. Neither LHS here stocks HPI but I told the one that gave me the best price to order in a Savage Flux as my 1st vehicle.. parts I just buy off ebay... but whatever vehicle floats your boat... no sense buying something you like less just cause its available locally
Old 02-15-2012, 07:43 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Mysterious

This fancy thing you're on called the internet eliminates being confined by what your LHS stocks. Neither LHS here stocks HPI but I told the one that gave me the best price to order in a Savage Flux as my 1st vehicle.. parts I just buy off ebay... but whatever vehicle floats your boat... no sense buying something you like less just cause its available locally
yup if I did that I wouldn't have my jammin .5 crt's, Jammin x1x cr, x1 crt, wheely king (my LHS stocks a fair bit of HPI but no parts for it), MT2 (extremely limited support), Tamiya DF-02's, or Hornet
Old 02-15-2012, 09:26 AM
t9dragon

I personally don't like waiting for a week for parts to arrive from some internet store. And not only that to order on-line requires you to pay with a "credit card", where as going into the LHS you can pay "cash" for what you buy.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:19 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

I personally don't like waiting for a week for parts to arrive from some internet store. And not only that to order on-line requires you to pay with a ''credit card'', where as going into the LHS you can pay ''cash'' for what you buy.
90% of the time unless its some extremely popular RC at the hobby shops when I went(this is true at the ones I've gone to) generally am told they can get the part in 3-5 business days...
So drive there do the order drive back wait 3-5 days just to go back again, and pay a markup vs waiting the same time in my house. This is a major killer to me seeing it costs me literally $8 in gas to go back and forth once so in the end I would pay 10% markup, 10% tax, and $16 on top of what I can get off the net with no effort. Now if your LHS is close, low markup, and low taxes it might work out good in the end, but for a good chunk of us it doesn't.
Also paypal can debit from your checking if you want if you don't like credit.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:16 AM
t9dragon

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM
90% of the time unless its some extremely popular RC at the hobby shops when I went(this is true at the ones I've gone to) generally am told they can get the part in 3-5 business days...
So drive there do the order drive back wait 3-5 days just to go back again, and pay a markup vs waiting the same time in my house. This is a major killer to me seeing it costs me literally $8 in gas to go back and forth once so in the end I would pay 10% markup, 10% tax, and $16 on top of what I can get off the net with no effort. Now if your LHS is close, low markup, and low taxes it might work out good in the end, but for a good chunk of us it doesn't.
I am lucky to live in one of the states that doesn't charge a sales tax and the LHS I deal with charges exactly what Tower charges.
Old 02-15-2012, 02:31 PM
phmaximus

OMG who still uses cash??? I put everything om my card... the only time i have cash is from selling stuff on facebook.

Each to there own, yeah?
Old 02-15-2012, 02:40 PM
Eman77

Our LHS (by my work) went out of business. Only stocked Traxxas parts, and HPI parts for stuff I didn't own. Nice. I'm just fine ordering online, as I get much, much better variety of what I want. I can deal with a few days wait. There are times at work where I was so busy I couldn't get to the LHS for days anyway (and sometimes THEY would have to order it for me, more delays). Online is so much easier for me.
Old 02-15-2012, 02:53 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM
I am lucky to live in one of the states that doesn't charge a sales tax and the LHS I deal with charges exactly what Tower charges.
wow no sales tax lucky I get slammed with state city, and county tax (They really love to empty our pockets)
BTW tower aint that cheap on a lot of stuff usually find it cheaper than tower shipped from a lot of places. Hell look at the Jammin X1x CR tower charges over $100 more than amain, and most other places I seen it.
Old 02-15-2012, 02:53 PM
t9dragon

ORIGINAL: phmaximus

OMG who still uses cash??? I put everything om my card... the only time i have cash is from selling stuff on facebook.

Each to there own, yeah?
Those of us who have learned from our "Credit Card" mistakes..... I haven't had a credit card in over 10 years.
Old 02-15-2012, 02:54 PM
phmaximus

Good point, If the LHS has to order it why not order it yourself?

One of the other resons i dont go to my LHS (appart from price & availability) hows a ezrun 35a combo is just under $150!!!!! what a rip...
It run by a grumpy old man, & honestly they no nothing about the newer cars. Even on this forum there has been a few cases of there LHS giving out bad advice.
Old 02-15-2012, 03:00 PM
Eman77

Question on the HPI Bullet - are the wheels and tires on it MT sized? Truggy sized? Or what? I just can't tell, they look huge (but it could be just how they are compared to that chassis)
Old 02-15-2012, 03:03 PM
t9dragon

ORIGINAL: Eman77

Question on the HPI Bullet - are the wheels and tires on it MT sized? Truggy sized? Or what? I just can't tell, they look huge (but it could be just how they are compared to that chassis)
The chassis on the bullet is a buggy chassis from what I have heard. I am not sure if that helps or not.
Old 02-15-2012, 03:39 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

tires should be the same as the lightning GT10 which had 2.8x4.8" tires on it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.