Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more
Reload this Page >

Need info about getting back into racing.....Class questions?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Need info about getting back into racing.....Class questions?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 07:19 PM
RockinEagle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need info about getting back into racing.....Class questions?

I used to race 1/10 stock dirt oval back in the early 90's (I had a lowered graphite chassis RC-10) but I am lost when it comes to all of the new classes and rules.

I know some of the abreviations but I am confused on motors etc.

Let me use a local track here in Ga as an example (Tap's)...they are running

13.5 Buggy
Sct Mod
Sct 2wd 17.5
Sct 4x4 Mod
Sportsman

13.5 does that mean a 13.5 turn brushless? (does anyone even run brushed any more?)

Is everyone running Lipo these days? How do you know what the limits are on the battery sizes in the class....2S, 3S etc? Any restrictions on MAH?

And that brings me to another question. When reading about brushless motors I see some rated using "KV" and every once in a while I will see a brushless rated by turns but seems they are usually rated by KV (and I am confused on that too because sometimes it seems the lower KV motor may be more powerful than some of the higher KV motors of the same brand....you can see why I am confused getting back into this hobby).

Sportsman? From what I can tell that appears to be the beginner/stock class? In the above instance what type(s) of cars does that entail? A little bit of everything?

Thanks!!

Old 02-22-2012, 07:42 PM
cumquat

Default RE: Need info about getting back into racing.....Class questions?

kv is the rpm per volt. turn doesnt really convert to kv too well as a 8.5t can be anywhere from 3800kv up to 5000kv. the 13.5t class is probably brushless. lipo has almost completely replaced nicad and nimh because they offer drastically superior power at a reduced weight and often cost. some people still run brushed but brushless has massively replaced it if only because they dont wear out nearly as quick and they are virtually maintenance free.

what your track defines as sportsman may differ from others. my local tracks based on what their websites say) dont run sportsman. in relation to your racing days, 17.5t is the BL equivalent of a 27t brushed and 13.5t is a 19t as i recall. if you still have your rc10, it may very well still be competitive. most 1/10 scales can accept a 2s and some can hold a 3s but for racing, its usually 2s limit. to my knowledge, mah is unregulated.

i apologize if my post is a tad jumbled.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:49 PM
RockinEagle

LOL....no the RC-10 is looooong gone. I never have run off road so that is new for me as well. The RC-10 I had never hit a jump in it's life.....kind of sad!

I will likely get a SC truck as that seems to be pretty popular and they seem to have a class at every track around me (unfortunatly though all of the tracks are about an hour+ away so hard to just stop in and check things out).

Thanks for the info.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:13 PM
cumquat

good luck. if you have any more questions i'd be glad to give you more incorrect info
Old 02-23-2012, 12:21 AM
acexxxoasis
My Feedback: (4)

from an older racer fyi short course is the new 1/10 truck and 4wd short course is new 4wd buggy 2wd buggy is still 2wd buggy lol.