Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Getting a friend started right, into R/C

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 01:30 PM
MONSTARUSTA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting a friend started right, into R/C

So my wife has a rustler vxl and I have the Stampede 4X4vxl but my buddy wants to get into rc and build a track at his house probably I just want him to get into rc the right way with quality stuff right off the bat. SO my question is is the integy i10MT brushless 4x4 monster truck a good deal? I mean its only 250 and comes with a lipo and a charger? sounds way to cheap being as the batteries I run are more than half that for one.

So is the truck quality built, bash
able?

2. Is the charger/battery worth anything?

3. is it gonna keep up with my stampede 4x4(mostly stock just trenchers and 3s) on the track? both running 3s?

any input is much appreciated I haven't been around for a while because of joining the army and deploying almost immediately.
Old 02-27-2012, 01:32 PM
redfisher1974

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Getting a friend started right, into R/C

Stay with a name brand like HPI or even traxxas.
Old 02-27-2012, 04:35 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

it don't look bad, but try and get parts when something breaks. Also its a buggy they slapped MT tires, and a body on and from my experiences that is usually not a good thing.
Its a rebadge of another RC that I saw prior that was out in europe(saw it on another forum when looking up 4wd buggies) for a hell of a lot less.

Savage XS is around $300 throw in a HK lipo, and a $40 charger. ok its a fair bit more than the integy thing but you know you will find parts seeing its a fairly popular RC.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:34 AM
LaTuFu
My Feedback: (1)

For a first RC, its usually better to buy a bigger name truck, even if it means spending a little bit more.

Whether you buy HPI or Traxxas, either truck is going to break due to driver error while the new owner gets used to the additional power of hobby grade trucks.

But every LHS, online site, or user forum on the net has parts, information, and support on one, the other, or both. 

Not so for "off" brands like that one. 

There's nothing more frustrating than buying a cheap truck like that, then needing parts.  Only to find they are a slow boat from China away.  And then finding out you're one of three guys on a forum who have every actually owned the truck.

When you are an experienced hobbyist, or this is a second/third/fourth truck, it's no big deal.

When you're a newb, and just want to drive your new truck, its the kind of frustration that will get you out of the hobby.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:53 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: LaTuFu

For a first RC, its usually better to buy a bigger name truck, even if it means spending a little bit more.

Whether you buy HPI or Traxxas, either truck is going to break due to driver error while the new owner gets used to the additional power of hobby grade trucks.

But every LHS, online site, or user forum on the net has parts, information, and support on one, the other, or both.

Not so for ''off'' brands like that one.

There's nothing more frustrating than buying a cheap truck like that, then needing parts. Only to find they are a slow boat from China away. And then finding out you're one of three guys on a forum who have every actually owned the truck.

When you are an experienced hobbyist, or this is a second/third/fourth truck, it's no big deal.

When you're a newb, and just want to drive your new truck, its the kind of frustration that will get you out of the hobby.
pretty much that boat seems to takes forever sometimes, I've waited almost 2 months on parts from china for some of my models [:@]
Old 02-28-2012, 11:50 AM
pyromatic177

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

There's nothing more frustrating than buying a cheap truck like that, then needing parts. Only to find they are a slow boat from China away. And then finding out you're one of three guys on a forum who have every actually owned the truck.

pretty much that boat seems to takes forever sometimes, I've waited almost 2 months on parts from china for some of my models [:@]
WOW. The longest that I've ever waited was a week for parts. But it's Traxxas parts too

Old 02-28-2012, 03:00 PM
MONSTARUSTA

well thanks guys i guess that seals the deal. Go stampede 4x4 or go home. I just don't know if hes gonna want to spend that much coin, I know he wants it to be waterproof so it'd probably be cheaper that way anyway.

I've already told him he could have my ice charger and one 2s lipo, hed just need a balancer witch is cheap. so he can't complain there i guess.
Old 02-28-2012, 04:30 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: pyromatic177

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

WOW. The longest that I've ever waited was a week for parts. But it's Traxxas parts too [img][/img]

question was it on the slow boat from china?
when I ordered a turnigy motor it sat in the chinese post office for over a week before they decided to send it
I ordered the motor 1st week in january, and got it in febuary
I've ordered a quite a bit from china's various RC companies(and LED makers), and honestly I've had it vary from 4 days to 5 weeks delivery time after they shipped it
Old 02-28-2012, 04:34 PM
pyromatic177

No from eBay and my LHS website and NitroRCX
Old 02-28-2012, 11:14 PM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What about a Tamiya tl01 Baja King, they are like only $100, then add $80 for a brushless system...

They use to be competive in the early 90's lol and most hobby shops stock parts... there are a ton of upgrades, cant really fault them....

here is mine... good for 107km/h

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xNlVuntoDg[/youtube]

Its been rebuilt ATM with 2.2 wheels and extended shock towers
Old 02-29-2012, 03:24 AM
MONSTARUSTA

well I built him a rustler out a spare parts last night thinking that the i10mt might be an ok deal as he couldn't buy a vxl brushless, nimh battery , and the cheapest 2.4ghz rx/tx for the price then hell have two trucks and a cheap set of electronics that will work in both trucks?

I like the tamiya baja king idea to always nice to have options, so thanks.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:44 AM
spena

ORIGINAL: MONSTARUSTA

well I built him a rustler out a spare parts last night thinking that the i10mt might be an ok deal as he couldn't buy a vxl brushless, nimh battery , and the cheapest 2.4ghz rx/tx for the price then hell have two trucks and a cheap set of electronics that will work in both trucks?

I like the tamiya baja king idea to always nice to have options, so thanks.
have you tried looking for used? There's lots of ppl in my area selling mini traxxas rc and maybe you'll get lucky to find a person selling a rcb8 practically new with tekin combo system for $400 like i did :P
Old 02-29-2012, 10:34 AM
MONSTARUSTA

Ive just looked on here and ebay a few times, haven't found much on good deals these things hold there value better than i thought
Old 02-29-2012, 11:16 AM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

This will be about the best bang for his buck:

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-w-24GHz-Radio

He can upgrade as he goes, but it will be fast and fun right out of the box and they handle great. A couple 7 cell NiMh's or 2s Lipo's will be plenty to start out with. This truck will be especially good on a track.

If 4wd isnt a requirement i would strongly urge him to consider it. I have 2 of them, and with some good tires on the back, its amazing what these trucks will go through even being only 2wd. As long as they dont bottom out or get in thick grass, they will about keep up with my 4wd's. There is more of a learning cure when driving a 2wd, but it also makes it fun
Old 03-01-2012, 05:30 PM
thehuntingterminator

i agree with cummins driver about the T4.1. great truck and great price. however, if all this is still a little too expensive for your friend (completely understandable) then take a look at [link=http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__18737__Turnigy_1_10_Brushless_2WD_Desert_Racing_ Buggy.html]this[/link]. while it is 100% Chinese, it is a clone of a Kyosho Ultima DB, so all parts for the Kyosho (high quality) will fit the Turnigy Buggy. all that will be needed in addtion to the $120 for the car is a rx/tx and battery/charger. great way to get a cheap car that will have good parts support and plenty of upgrades available without having to order from China.
Old 03-01-2012, 08:39 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: thehuntingterminator

i agree with cummins driver about the T4.1. great truck and great price. however, if all this is still a little too expensive for your friend (completely understandable) then take a look at [link=http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__18737__Turnigy_1_10_Brushless_2WD_Desert_Racing_ Buggy.html]this[/link]. while it is 100% Chinese, it is a clone of a Kyosho Ultima DB, so all parts for the Kyosho (high quality) will fit the Turnigy Buggy. all that will be needed in addtion to the $120 for the car is a rx/tx and battery/charger. great way to get a cheap car that will have good parts support and plenty of upgrades available without having to order from China.
And are you sure that it has 100% direct fit Kyosho parts? Just because it looks like it does doesn't mean it does...that and a lot of hobby shops don't carry Kyosho.
Old 03-03-2012, 02:17 AM
phmaximus

If is a true clone, I might get one....
Old 03-03-2012, 05:52 AM
thehuntingterminator

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

And are you sure that it has 100% direct fit Kyosho parts? Just because it looks like it does doesn't mean it does...that and a lot of hobby shops don't carry Kyosho.
i mean i don't have one myself to verfiy, but that's the word on the street. it looks very similar. i'm assuming at least most parts will fit it.
Old 03-03-2012, 12:18 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

i mean i don't have one myself to verfiy, but that's the word on the street. it looks very similar. i'm assuming at least most parts will fit it.
Simply because it looks like it doesn't mean the parts will fit, and your suggestions shouldn't be based on assumptions.
Old 03-03-2012, 01:02 PM
thehuntingterminator

Simply because it looks like it doesn't mean the parts will fit, and your suggestions shouldn't be based on assumptions.
it wasn't based on assumptions. that is what i have heard from multiple sources. its like the HK 1/16 buggy is also a Kyosho copy. let's not argue anymore on here, it's no longer being beneficial to the person who asked for help.
Old 03-03-2012, 01:05 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

agree 100% so many RC's look similar, but guess what the parts don't fit.

Example the RC18b, and mini recon the arms look the same(and word on the street said they were the same), but the recons are a hair shorter(among a few other things), and have a pin that's a fraction of a mm smaller, and with out a lot of modifications the arms won't work. Hell people were trying to claim the recon was a rc18 clone for a while (turns out it was mostly a clone of a pro-pulse, but still some parts don't cross over)
Old 03-03-2012, 08:48 PM
MONSTARUSTA

So built him a rustler out of old spare parts, rebuilt some ultra shocks and through a old LRP Bullet esc and a old brushed 15turn in it and all it needs now is a tx, and well be in bussiness for free.
Old 03-03-2012, 09:23 PM
phmaximus

If u lived in Australia I would Give u a 27mhz RX & TX it u payed for postage... might be to expensive to post to the USA...

That offer is open to anyone, Ive got 2 HPI's 3ch & 2ch, various others & mixed recivers