Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

ESC for very slow speed control

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 03:49 PM
dracheschreck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ESC for very slow speed control

Hello!

I bought this off-road electric car from hobbyking:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/s...dproduct=16645

I am planning to use it as a line-follower robot. The problem is the car is way too sensitive to speed.

What I mean is, I have a microcontroller which outputs the PWM signal to the ESC. I increase the duty cycle of this signal very slowly, and after a certain duty cycle, the wheels start moving, but it's way too fast for my needs.

Is there another ESC that will give me a finer control of the speed at slow speeds?

Also, my car is going to go downhill sometimes and I would like that it didn't go too fast, my current ESC (the one that comes with the car) has a braking mode, however, its either completely stopped or way too fast!

Any ideas? thanks!
Old 03-06-2012, 05:11 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: ESC for very slow speed control

URL is no good

umm but if its brushed (no idea cause URL is bad) you can get an extremely high turn motor like 50+ turns which would slow it down drastically.
Old 03-06-2012, 05:16 PM
dracheschreck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just fixed the post.

The motor is a brushless DC. 

I just tried lowering the battery from 3cells to 2cells and I can notice a decrease in speed. I have yet to try it on the course to see if it is slow/controllable enough.

Any other tips?
Old 03-06-2012, 05:24 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

might want to get a cheap brushed ESC, and go brushed motor
BL motors do not do slow very good, and are prone to cogging if sensorless.

Brushed you can use some motors that are available at the surplus stores that are incredibly slow. I know I have a motor out of a VCR from one that at full throttle will move a RC at 5 mph's tops but it has insane torque where my slowest brushless system would send it rocketing at almost 40 mph .