Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Best buggy & truck < £250

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 10:10 AM
SpankyAndy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best buggy & truck < £250

Hi guys
I've finally decided to give in to the kid inside me and buy myself the cool RC cars I wanted when I couldn't afford them. I've got £500 to wax on two electric cars; a buggy and a truck. Only thing is... as I'm new to this, I have no idea which ones to go for.
I'm wondering whether to split the spends 50/50 or whether to spend a big chunk of it on a really good one and the whatever is left on the other. I'm open to suggestions.
There's millions to choose from, but being one to take other people's advice, I was wondering whether anyone could tell me which are the best brands to buy for each? I've been drawn towards Tamiya, Maverick and FTX cars, but only because I like the colours
Any help is muchos appreciatos !
Cheers
Andy
Old 03-22-2012, 11:26 AM
rccrazer

Default RE: Best buggy & truck < £250

hey andy,
glad to see you joining! ftx and maverik are pumped mostly out of the "hsp" factory in shenzen province china. so depending on your preferance you may be able to find something better colored on those platforms.

tmaiya has been around sense the 1970's and has made many interesting cars, i still love their rally stuff.

are you looking at racing? bashing? or both?

at this point getting a RTR (ready to run) would probably be in your best intrest, the reason being is that they'r mostly ready to go out of the box and let you play and learn as you go.

if you would like i can help with your choice by you just telling me if you want to bash or race, or both.
Old 03-22-2012, 12:17 PM
t9dragon
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would have to say www.hpiracing.com or www.traxxas.com
Old 03-22-2012, 12:27 PM
rccrazer

judging by what you said tha your looking at tamiya, marverik and ftx cars, it sounds as if your from the uk is that corect andy?

hpi is a great choise for those who can get parts for them. i own a vorza and a blitz, and work on them a long while.

ftx doens't make bad stuff. their 2wd cars come from HBX hobby (also know as Haiboxing hobby, also out of shenzen province china, about 90 feet from the hsp factory actuallly).

are you racing or bashing?
Old 03-22-2012, 02:16 PM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dont make the mistsake I made..... no kidding... Dont buy ur first based on looks, body type & colours....

When i Got my firts touring car I was looking at these 2 nitro's... One was a peugeot 206 and the other was a Falcon V8 supercar.

I went with the Falcon because I owned a Falcon at the time, little did I know it was a cheaper brand & the parts were nearly 5 times the price than a regular car.... and the parts are neer impossible to get, its a Great Vigor V2000.... where the other was a tamiya....

Just to give u an idea, lower suspension arms... GV $55 tamiya under $15.
I got stunk by that one day running in a cheap ebay speical for a friend... I was up to the 4th tank and still hadent bothered with adjusting the brake.. I only just taped the garden bed & broke the steering knuckle.... $44 later it was fixed!!!!! it was a CEN Racing 4x4

Dont be fooled by a body.... they can be changed to whatever u want and paint it to what everu want... look at the chassis, build quality, stock upgrades, future upgrades, upgrades & parts cost...
Old 03-22-2012, 02:25 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: phmaximus

Dont make the mistsake I made..... no kidding... Dont buy ur first based on looks, body type & colours....

When i Got my firts touring car I was looking at these 2 nitro's... One was a peugeot 206 and the other was a Falcon V8 supercar.

I went with the Falcon because I owned a Falcon at the time, little did I know it was a cheaper brand & the parts were nearly 5 times the price than a regular car.... and the parts are neer impossible to get, its a Great Vigor V2000.... where the other was a tamiya....

Just to give u an idea, lower suspension arms... GV $55 tamiya under $15.
I got stunk by that one day running in a cheap ebay speical for a friend... I was up to the 4th tank and still hadent bothered with adjusting the brake.. I only just taped the garden bed & broke the steering knuckle.... $44 later it was fixed!!!!! it was a CEN Racing 4x4

Dont be fooled by a body.... they can be changed to whatever u want and paint it to what everu want... look at the chassis, build quality, stock upgrades, future upgrades, upgrades & parts cost...
yup
Some things might seem like a steal at the cost for the RTR, but replacement parts can bite you in the ass
Example HPI mini Recon $99 fully RTR
Broke a shock tower, front arm, and rim shattered(rim is so flimsy it ain't funny) Cost to repair from HPI parts $55 for the bags that have the arm, and shock tower... that is not counting the rim which is $15-20. So to fix a $99 RTR from one accident it would have cost me $75 + shipping for STOCK parts...

Comparison I wrecked my Ofna crt.5 broke the steering bell crank, arm, and another piece. Total cost including upgrading the steering to CNC'd aluminum was $40 shipped...
Even my Tamiya DF-02 I wrecked it bad broke a chassis repairs cost me $15
Its sickening how much some of the dirt cheap RC's cost when you goto repair them

BTW I got nothing against HPI. Only other RC that they made that was probably worst parts wise than the recon I gave in my example was the Brama 10b.
On the other hand HPI designed RC's are great, and can take a beating its just the RC designs they buy from other companies to fill in cost gaps seem to suck big time. I owned 9 HPI RC's and only got 2 that I was unhappy with (and like I said they both were designed by another company)
Old 03-22-2012, 02:29 PM
Fx1

get a Savage XS if you want some crazy fun.

Seems many of the early issues have been sorted.

My turn buckles hold up well and my ESC has been fine. 

£270
Old 03-22-2012, 03:17 PM
SillyWillie-Buh!
My Feedback: (2)

Are you wanting something RTR out of the box(including battery pack, charger?) I would go with one really good rc for the money rather than two; quality over quantity. Also another determining factor should always, ALWAYS, be parts availability in your area.
Old 03-23-2012, 02:48 PM
collector1231
My Feedback: (1)

Sorry i can't convert the money amounts, but im saying its roughly $400 USD total. You have 200$ and 200$ in USD if you want 2. The Associated B4.1 is a great buggy. For trucks, I, honestly, don't know.
Sorry if its a little over your budget. Good luck!
Old 03-24-2012, 03:52 AM
SpankyAndy

Hi guys

Thanks for all the advice so far !  I didn't really consider what I'd do if I'd wrecked it.

£500 works out to about $800, so I've got $400 for each.  I wanted two so that I could race my non-RC owning friends every now and again.

That Savage XS looks awesome, although I like a few of the Tamiya's too.
Old 03-24-2012, 07:00 AM
SillyWillie-Buh!
My Feedback: (2)

Well heck 400 a piece you can do a lot with! the B4.1 is a great buggy. I drive mine bone stock and love it. I have also noticed how well it takes jumps. As for a truck. Are you wanting something to bash around or something track worthy as well?
Old 03-24-2012, 03:06 PM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

damm u could get a massive 1/5 scale with ur budget