Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

4wd traxxas slash Help

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 08:16 AM
bj2much

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4wd traxxas slash Help

Thanx in advance racers. i Have a traxxas slash with 11.1 lipo and the problem is i know that ALL of the power is not getting to the ground , it seemslike only one wheel in the fron is spinning and all the rest are just spinning but with the weight of the car its not. When i gun the throttle with my 11.1 lipo it wont "take off",as if all of the wheels are not being used . But they all spin when i hold it up in the air. Could i be something in the drive shaft?
Old 03-25-2012, 09:23 AM
thehuntingterminator

Default RE: 4wd traxxas slash Help

i doubt there is anything actually wrong with the car. sounds like to me it might just be a loss of traction from the tires or something like that. with 3s its not just gonna take off, that's way too much power.
Old 03-25-2012, 09:41 AM
FahrtAutoRC

When is the last time you checked your diffs? If they are dry, it will not feel as direct as it should. 3s should pretty much wheelie all day long, mine does on 2s
Old 03-25-2012, 11:35 AM
bj2much

Do you think you could tell me how to do tht i am kinda a noob hear, i know its not a tire problem , but i can tell tht only the front right tire is actually pulling the car , but they all spinn when i hold it in the air and gun it . Also if i spin the front right tire should the front left tire spin also? because it does not
Old 03-25-2012, 04:58 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

So...does your truck have a center diff or not?
Old 03-25-2012, 05:08 PM
chase1

the diffs on a slash 4x as with most trucks are not locked. if you have only one front wheel spinning on the ground you may have a rear drive shaft or diff issue. lift the truck up by the frontwheels and rotate them in the same direction. the truck should move one way or the other. the wheelswill all still spin off the gound sometimesbecause they are not under load.
Old 03-25-2012, 05:30 PM
bj2much

But do you think yu can help me with my issue of it not being able to dealiver the power to all 4 wheels?
Old 03-25-2012, 05:44 PM
chase1

lets go back to tbj's question. are you running the center diff or slipper clutch?
Old 03-25-2012, 05:52 PM
bj2much

center diff
Old 03-25-2012, 08:58 PM
chase1

the center diff is designed to redirect power from the rear wheels and send it to the frontif there is a loss oftraction. on 3s the truck is trying to wheelie and sending power to the front wheels when they leave the ground to try andkeep the front of thetruck planted. try installing the slipper assy. and see if that will get the desired effect.
Old 03-26-2012, 07:04 AM
FahrtAutoRC

Before downgrading back to a slipper *shudder*, he should pull the center diff out and see if it is dry inside. I pull mine apart every half dozen races or so and fill them back up with new fluid and such. He may also be running too light of a fluid in the differentials and that may not be letting him get the power to the ground properly. Those diffs need oil resistance to properly do their job.

And to the OP: I can and will help you diagnose the truck, and I can give advice, tips, setup tips etc etc BUT I refuse to walk you through the assembly/tear down steps. If your truck did not come with a manual then you can download one free of charge at traxxas.com

ORIGINAL: chase1

the center diff is designed to redirect power from the rear wheels and send it to the frontif there is a loss oftraction. on 3s the truck is trying to wheelie and sending power to the front wheels when they leave the ground to try andkeep the front of thetruck planted. try installing the slipper assy. and see if that will get the desired effect.
Old 03-26-2012, 08:25 AM
chase1

i took from the battery size that he was just bashing around and not racing while having the problem. yeshe could change the fluid inhis center diff but i thought it would be easier to just swap in the slipper unit and see if that solved his issue. (assuming he already has one).if he is running at a track or does not have the slipper unitthen he can try tuning the center diff. i did try changing the fluid in mine though and it still had almost thesame effect on 3s. the diff is better for the track for sure but the slipper unit is more fun around the house anyway...wheeeelieeeees!!!lol
Old 03-26-2012, 11:10 AM
FahrtAutoRC

Well I am speaking from running high power setups, so I am using my personal experience. For a little bit I slapped in the 550 can 2000Kv and 80A esc from my Losi 8ight, just for S&G's one day, and ran it on 4s. I had to brake to turn, just because the front end wouldn't stay down! I also blew a couple tires off the beads. I run 15k weight Losi fluid in the front diff, 50k-100k depending on track conditions for the center, and 10k Losi fluid in the rear. My slipper just sits in the toolbox in case I royally screw up and toast my center diff. But with how well maintained my truck is, I doubt I will ever need it. Oh, and for track days, I run ROAR legal equipment as dictated. 2s Turnigy LiPo, CC MMP SCTE ESC (So many letters!) and a NeuCastle 3800Kv 4-Pole. A wheelie monster if it can keep the tires from losing traction. On 3s, it is the same just.....more. Actually TOO much for racing anyway, IMHO.

What I am saying is his issue is not from the 3s, or his power system. If his diffs are dry, or empty, then there will not be enough resistance for them to rotate efficiently. If this is not the issue, then new diffs are the answer. These drivetrains are much more simple than they seem, so there is not too much to troubleshoot.

1) Is the pinion and spur interacting properly?
2) Are the diffs themselves (all 3!) in good working condition?
3)Are the diffs filled with proper fluid of proper weight, and sealed properly as well?
4) Are the outputs all working and fastened as they should be?

That is about it. The drivetrain should be fine if everything is in order. If not, then you know what to fix!
Old 03-26-2012, 11:46 AM
chase1

derr, i think we both forgot about the wheel hubs. could it be that simple???
Old 03-26-2012, 11:54 AM
chase1

also this sentence is a little confusing?? "it seemslike only one wheel in the fron is spinning and all the rest are just spinning but with the weight of the car its not." to me it sounds like only one front wheel is turning under load right? if it were the center diff wouldnt both fronts still spin?
Old 03-26-2012, 12:25 PM
FahrtAutoRC

No, the outer hubs would induce wheel wobble and damage but would not affect the actual rotation of things. They are only there to hold everything still while it spins. I am still leaning towards fluid, if it doesn't help then he probably needs new diffs or a rebuild set.
Old 03-26-2012, 12:37 PM
chase1

ifone rim/hub in the rearwere stripped then neither rearwheel would spin right?? he does notsay if the shafts are turning or not or if the wheel/wheels seem loose.
Old 03-26-2012, 03:35 PM
bj2much

So yu guys are saying it is the wheels hubs ? How would i go about fixing this?
Old 03-26-2012, 03:52 PM
FahrtAutoRC

I am highly doubting it, CHECK YOUR DIFFS FIRST!!!

ORIGINAL: bj2much

So yu guys are saying it is the wheels hubs ? How would i go about fixing this?
Old 03-26-2012, 04:00 PM
chase1

how old is the truck? it very well could still be a diff issue if the truck has a decent amount of time onitbut checking the wheel hubs is just a matter of pulling each wheel off and checking the hex and theinside of the rim to see if it is stripped out. if so you will have to replace the bad hex adapter and the rim.
Old 03-26-2012, 04:17 PM
bj2much

the truck does have some decent time on it , and the wheel hubs dont seem to stripped out .
maybe this will help pinpoint wat is wrong what is wrong . If i gun the throttle only my right front tire will spin and break traction every other tire doesnt seem to spin when the weight of the car is on it
Old 03-26-2012, 06:19 PM
chase1

that was the simple check now it is time to follow FahrtAutoRC's advice and dig into the diffs. start by checking the center diff for proper operation and then move on to the rear diff gears. here are a couple of breakdowns in case you dont have a manual. good luck
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj23000.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	1743295   Click image for larger version

Name:	Us55223.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	1743296  
Old 03-26-2012, 07:03 PM
kopperlis123
Banned

the diffs on a slash 4x as with most trucks are not locked.

Old 03-26-2012, 07:20 PM
FahrtAutoRC

Uhhh nobody said they were, but good observation skills there buddy!

ORIGINAL: kopperlis123

the diffs on a slash 4x as with most trucks are not locked.
Old 03-27-2012, 11:59 AM
bj2much

Ight guys i will take that apart today guys , sorry i was jst leaving that up to my last option because i didnt want to dig into something and not know how to put it back together. so when i open up my diffs i should just look for dry diffs?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.