Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

slash 4x4 help

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 12:15 PM
JMV563

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default slash 4x4 help

Hi fourm readers,

I wore out my spur gear, butI replaced that. I hear some sort of noice at the begining but it goes away at top speed. DidI set it to tight. Or is it to lose.
Old 03-25-2012, 04:54 PM
chase1

Default RE: slash 4x4 help

it could be to tight but i replace both spur and pinion as a set. the gears will wear in together and when you put a new spur on an old pinion you will have gear noise.since you have already been running it im guessing, just let the gears wear in a bitand adjust the mesh. you will just have to deal with the noise until you replaced both next time.youtu.be/Dmm5hQBfAyQ
Old 03-26-2012, 05:26 AM
JMV563

Thanks I'll try that.
Old 03-26-2012, 07:09 AM
FahrtAutoRC

When it comes to a steel pinion and plastic spur you will scarecly see them wear at the same time or rate. The Slash 4X4 uses steel diff internals and will be fairly loud compared to some other 4X4 SCT's but that much is normal. Check your mesh, first. I run a strip of standard notebook paper through mine, if it binds it is too tight. If it flies right through then it is too loose. It should go through smoothly and end up looking like a perfect crinkle cut french fry. Some people will tell you this is wrong, but I have been doing it for quite a while now and never had an issue.
Old 03-26-2012, 08:05 AM
chase1

if he is using the traxxas pinions trust me they will wear, i have change many of them. the aftermarket steel ones will take abit longer to wear out, but if you run in alot of sand, they will go to. just because they still have teeth does not mean they are good.
Old 03-26-2012, 08:09 AM
FahrtAutoRC

This has not been my experience with it, and I have quite a bit of experience with this particular truck. As a matter of fact, I can just plain and simply wear out 3-4 spurs before my pinion is even near worn, and I am not running some punk little Velineon motor, either

ORIGINAL: chase1

if he is using the traxxas pinions trust me they will wear, i have change many of them. the aftermarket steel ones will take abit longer to wear out, but if you run in alot of sand, they will go to. just because they still have teeth does not mean they are good.
Old 03-26-2012, 08:47 AM
chase1

i can make 4 all daytrips to the track and not have a pinion wear out but4 batterypacksof driving in the sand in my yard and they are done. just depends on the amount of dust and dirt running through the gears. if you run mostly on a packed track you may not see the issue as often i geuss
Old 03-26-2012, 10:52 AM
FahrtAutoRC

Our outdoor track is like most others, hard pack/blue groove late in the day, the first bit is mud, followed by surface loam and sand. One thing that helps is to run the center diff with the longer driveshaft cover, and fit a foam donut around the driveshaft in the hole towards the front of the chassis. If he is keeping much of the dust, dirt and debris out of there, and meshing properly, then he should only have to replace spurs when they simply wear out (standard life cycle), and pinions to change gearing. I did forget to metnion I run Robinson Racing pinions now, but even with the stockers I never had an issue with them.
Old 03-26-2012, 12:03 PM
chase1

i started running the outerwears tray cover and it helped some but it just seemed like the area where the diff sits acts like a sand/dust catcher. my practice track in my yard has thick powdery sand/dust, much more than an average track. i have actually quit using it due to the extreme wear on componentslike gears, fans, bearings, and so on but it seemed to affect my slash 4x4 way more than my other cars in the spur/pinion dept.
Old 03-26-2012, 12:23 PM
FahrtAutoRC

This would be largely due to the nice dirt/gravel catcher of a diff housing. Nothing else we have/ have had has been this prone to it. I like the way others are set up, with open spur/pinion areas as the dirt can get into it, but it gets out just as easily. On the Slash 4X4 it just sits in there like a kids bubble push mower and bounces around.
Old 03-26-2012, 12:42 PM
chase1

i agree, i have yet to change a spur or pinion on my losi scte. so happy with that truck!