Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Problems with HPI Trophy Truggy Flux

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 08:38 PM
skidoo06

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems with HPI Trophy Truggy Flux

I've been browsing around the RC Universe forums for a little while, but i never registered. I'm so frustrated with this truggy that I felt the need to register and talk about it.

I previously had an HPI Savage X that i loved. I had put a lot of time and money into it and I had a lot of fun with it and I was amazed at how indestructible it was. Ipretty much made it the ultimate basher in my eyes, but I grew tired of nitro and since the only hobby shop within 100 miles away from me closed, I'm not able to get nitro fuel very easily. I really didn't want to sell it, but I didn't want to look at it every day and wish there was a hobby shop even remotely close to me so I could get fuel for it, so I sold it.

After I sold it, I was in the market for a brushless truck, and I came across the Trophy Truggy Flux. I really liked it as soon as I saw it, and it was just in my budget (if I had enough money, i would've gotten the savage flux hp). I tried to do some searching about it, but I realized that it just came in the US from Europe, so I figured that since HPI had it over there for a year or two, they probably found any problems and weak points there were with it, and fixed them, so I went ahead and bought it. Bad idea.

The first time i drove it, i got to the road in front of my house, and the wheel fell off. I figured I must've forgotten a wheel nut or it was loose or something, but no, the threaded end of the axle snapped right off. I was amazed at how it just broke like that, so I called up HPI the next day and asked them about it, and the customer service rep told me that they don't have any parts for this truck at all yet, and I would have to wait for about 2 weeks and they would be more than happy to replace the part. For the most part, i was happy with what I was told, since HPI would replace the broken axle.

2 weeks went by, and I called HPI again. I told the rep about my problem, and they told me to send them an email with a picture of the broken axle. I asked them if they had parts in since I was told 2 weeks ago that they should be getting parts in, and the rep told me that they do have limited quantities. So, I emailed them and waited for a couple days. I received a reply from them saying that they will replace the part, but they don't have any in stock right now, and I'm going to have to wait for about 2 weeks. I thought to myself, didn't I hear that 2 weeks ago? So I gave up on that and I did some research and bought axles for a Hot Bodies D8T. These axles are nicer because there's no threaded end on the axle, it uses the better hex with the threads on it and with the large wheel nut. After driving it once or twice with the new axles, the switch for the ESC got jammed up and broke so I had to wire in my own switch. I thought I would be fine after that, but then one of the axles I bought fell apart and I lost the pin and barrel for the joint, so I put the original axle that wasn't broken in place of the axle I just bought, and kept drove it a couple more times that week. After a while, i noticed there was a clicking sound coming from my truck. I didn't think much of it, and kept driving. In that same battery "charge", both the front and rear differentials decided to stop workingt, and the steering servo stopped working at the same time. I figured the spider gears disintegrated, and I was not happy, since it was only like my 5th battery charge with the truck.

All of this happened in about a month, about 2 hours of actually driving the truck. It would've been much less than a month if I didn't have to keep ordering parts and wait for those to come in. I am not happy with this truck at all. I didn't even drive it hard on those 5-or-so battery charges, just some normal jumping and speed runs, still trying to get a feel for the truck, which is hard to do when it keeps breaking.

Iknow this is a pretty long rave, but Ihad to write about it. Idon't know if any of you have this truck and have any recommendations or anything, but i'm running out of patience and, more importantly, money.
Old 03-26-2012, 05:31 AM
The Mad Modder

Default RE: Problems with HPI Trophy Truggy Flux

ORIGINAL: skidoo06

I've been browsing around the RC Universe forums for a little while, but i never registered. I'm so frustrated with this truggy that I felt the need to register and talk about it.

I previously had an HPI Savage X that i loved. I had put a lot of time and money into it and I had a lot of fun with it and I was amazed at how indestructible it was. I pretty much made it the ultimate basher in my eyes, but I grew tired of nitro and since the only hobby shop within 100 miles away from me closed, I'm not able to get nitro fuel very easily. I really didn't want to sell it, but I didn't want to look at it every day and wish there was a hobby shop even remotely close to me so I could get fuel for it, so I sold it.

After I sold it, I was in the market for a brushless truck, and I came across the Trophy Truggy Flux. I really liked it as soon as I saw it, and it was just in my budget (if I had enough money, i would've gotten the savage flux hp). I tried to do some searching about it, but I realized that it just came in the US from Europe, so I figured that since HPI had it over there for a year or two, they probably found any problems and weak points there were with it, and fixed them, so I went ahead and bought it. Bad idea.

The first time i drove it, i got to the road in front of my house, and the wheel fell off. I figured I must've forgotten a wheel nut or it was loose or something, but no, the threaded end of the axle snapped right off. I was amazed at how it just broke like that, so I called up HPI the next day and asked them about it, and the customer service rep told me that they don't have any parts for this truck at all yet, and I would have to wait for about 2 weeks and they would be more than happy to replace the part. For the most part, i was happy with what I was told, since HPI would replace the broken axle.

2 weeks went by, and I called HPI again. I told the rep about my problem, and they told me to send them an email with a picture of the broken axle. I asked them if they had parts in since I was told 2 weeks ago that they should be getting parts in, and the rep told me that they do have limited quantities. So, I emailed them and waited for a couple days. I received a reply from them saying that they will replace the part, but they don't have any in stock right now, and I'm going to have to wait for about 2 weeks. I thought to myself, didn't I hear that 2 weeks ago? So I gave up on that and I did some research and bought axles for a Hot Bodies D8T. These axles are nicer because there's no threaded end on the axle, it uses the better hex with the threads on it and with the large wheel nut. After driving it once or twice with the new axles, the switch for the ESC got jammed up and broke so I had to wire in my own switch. I thought I would be fine after that, but then one of the axles I bought fell apart and I lost the pin and barrel for the joint, so I put the original axle that wasn't broken in place of the axle I just bought, and kept drove it a couple more times that week. After a while, i noticed there was a clicking sound coming from my truck. I didn't think much of it, and kept driving. In that same battery ''charge'', both the front and rear differentials decided to stop workingt, and the steering servo stopped working at the same time. I figured the spider gears disintegrated, and I was not happy, since it was only like my 5th battery charge with the truck.

All of this happened in about a month, about 2 hours of actually driving the truck. It would've been much less than a month if I didn't have to keep ordering parts and wait for those to come in. I am not happy with this truck at all. I didn't even drive it hard on those 5-or-so battery charges, just some normal jumping and speed runs, still trying to get a feel for the truck, which is hard to do when it keeps breaking.

I know this is a pretty long rave, but I had to write about it. I don't know if any of you have this truck and have any recommendations or anything, but i'm running out of patience and, more importantly, money.
That's too bad. HPI used to be known for their extremely high quality cars and trucks. Recently, their quality has been slipping as they switch them from being made in Japan(where their older cars were made), to Taiwan(5b and savages at least used to be made there), to finally china. I've had a handful of their cars and trucks and you can see the difference in quality between the older and newer ones.

Some glaring examples of their lowered standards include the e-10, brama 10b(based off the e10), and the mini recon(which is a re-badged radio shack truck).
Old 03-26-2012, 10:38 AM
skidoo06

Thanks for your reply. Like Isaid, I absolutely loved my savage x, but nitro was getting to be a big hassle for me, mostly because of not being able to go to a hobby shop for fuel. Istill like this truck and the way it's set up, but if I keep on having problems like this, Iwill be forced to sell it. Ijust called HPI Customer service and they told me to wait another two weeks for the parts to come from Europe. What is going on??? Ithink i'm just going to get parts from a Hot Bodies truck again.
Old 03-31-2012, 08:19 AM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

DANG dude!  If you're having THAT much trouble with the thing, I'd say SCREW waiting for parts, I'd call HPI again AND DEMAND MY MONEY BACK!!  It IS still under warranty.  And while you're at it, complain to them about their crappy quality and shame them for shipping more jobs to China!

This is really disheartening....I HATE to see a company who's products had good reputations and quality, but because of corporate greed, they go cheap in manufacturing (i.e. off to China!) and quality goes to hell, but they're still charging us the same price!  [:@]
Old 03-31-2012, 09:04 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: The Mad Modder

That's too bad. HPI used to be known for their extremely high quality cars and trucks. Recently, their quality has been slipping as they switch them from being made in Japan(where their older cars were made), to Taiwan(5b and savages at least used to be made there), to finally china. I've had a handful of their cars and trucks and you can see the difference in quality between the older and newer ones.

Some glaring examples of their lowered standards include the e-10, brama 10b(based off the e10), and the mini recon(which is a re-badged radio shack truck).
all vehicles HPI didn't design but yea they are complete turds that HPI refuses to stop selling even though there are tons of issues with them due to crap plastics being used. Sad thing is like with the Brama 10b they actually had an excellent layout, and design as compared to its closest competitor the DF-02, but the Bramas durability is below a cheapo newbright. When I asked HPI about it they said it was never meant to be used in anything over stock form... too bad the chassis snapped after a few minuted of stock brushed power on pavement (1st one ok I threw a powerful BL system in, rebuilt it and destroyed the RC on the stock brushed motor in 5 mins... with no scratches even on the chassis)

Recon wasn't a rebadged radio shack truck its a rebadged megatech megapro(the radio shack truck was a rebadge of the megapro) with like 2 modifications that make it worst than the original (motor mount, and chassis plate where motor mount goes). And also the parts to repair the recon cost more than buying a RTR megapro complete.

As for the trophy I read similar things from European users on its quality
Kinda why when I seen people ask if they should get it I try and divert them to one of the OFNA variants that I know can take the abuse, and cost almost the same.

Savages at least their quality still seems to be high.
Old 04-02-2012, 05:28 AM
skidoo06

Can you actually have HPI give you a full refund? Ididnt think that was possible. Well, anyways, i took apart the differentials, and the spider gears just aren't shimmed properly. Theyre still in great shape, so now i dont have to buy 2 sets of differential gears. But now i have to get a steering servo. I've been looking at the Hitec 7955tg. Kinda pricey, but i love how it has over 300oz/in of torque. Once i get the servo and properly adjust the diffs, hopefully i will be good for a while and i wont have to buy any parts. well, i could look at it this way, now i know what goes wrong with these trucks right away and i can tell somebody what they need to do to it when they get it if they dont want problems.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:16 AM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you were able to phone them, and get a person of sufficient authority, and you complained loud and long enough (including threats of "telling all your friends" and "never buying another HPI product again") I would HOPE they'd do whatever you wanted them to.  But these days, who the hell knows?
Old 04-03-2012, 09:50 AM
Eman77

A more direct method on the phone call is to ask for a manager/supervisor if you aren't getting the results you want.

Then yell later if need be.
Old 04-03-2012, 11:28 AM
skidoo06

The hard part about yelling at customer service for me is that i'm not the yelling type.  I'd have to be pretty mad to want to yell at them.  I think i'll just fix it and keep using it.  I feel a lot better now that i know that the differentials aren't busted.  well at least for now.  if i keep having problems, i'll just sell it and stay away from hpi from now on. 
Old 04-03-2012, 07:44 PM
badboy2
My Feedback: (13)

i think that can happen to any product /brand ..with the way we use these cars/trucks theyre prone to breakage.and they have weak parts that are ready to break no matter how careful you use it.idk if its just me but i got used to not going home until i break a part or until my truck/car is running.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:12 PM
wanna_be_racer

Man that sucks...I was actually looking at the getting the Trophy as my first 8th scale electric. Could be you just got a bad model from the line or something. But that's a rarity in itself from HPI. I have an E-Firestrom Flux that I love to death. Had it for a few years now and I've never had an issue such as this one you're describing.

If you decide to sell it, I could possibly be in the market for one.
Old 04-06-2012, 04:34 AM
mycarisaser

WOW sorry to hear your having so many issues. I guess I am lucky I have been beating the pee out of mine and its rock solid. Jupmed it off the house. 30ft+ high jumps on the duns. hit a tree at full throttle. Hit congreat stump at full throttle (that broke the front bumper ) but all in all the truck has been solid.
As for the axle the losi lst version 1 axle is a direct replacment. Also a sportwork mayhem axle is the axle you want if you want to upgrade to standard 1/8 scale 17mm hex stuff (Thats what I did)
To think about it if you send me your address I will send you both my front axles as I am not using them(that way you have a spare)

The rear shock shaft I have broken twice (hit tree and a big jump at the scate park and landed wrong)so I upgraded to the 3.5mm lightning stadium pro shaft. Much stronger and hardened.
I put bearings in the steering posts and installed a better servo (I did that just to get the slop out of the steering system)

Hope HPI takes care of you and gets some dang parts here in the US. Its been almost 2 moonths this truck has been out and still no parts. Lucky for me I have been able to find parts I needed that were from th hotbodies lightening stadium truck (which is the same truck as the trophy truggy)
Old 04-06-2012, 04:50 AM
biffff

Is the Vorza Flux still made in Japan???? It seems to be one of the toughest/fastest things out there. Its on my short list.
Old 04-06-2012, 06:07 AM
Eman77

ORIGINAL: mycarisaser

To think about it if you send me your address I will send you both my front axles as I am not using them(that way you have a spare)

This is what can make RCU a great place. Very nice to see someone offering someone else spare parts or help when they don't even know the person.

Kudos to you sir, for making RCU a better place. That's awesome.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:57 PM
skidoo06

WOW sorry to hear your having so many issues. I guess I am lucky I have been beating the pee out of mine and its rock solid. Jupmed it off the house. 30ft+ high jumps on the duns. hit a tree at full throttle. Hit congreat stump at full throttle (that broke the front bumper ) but all in all the truck has been solid.
As for the axle the losi lst version 1 axle is a direct replacment. Also a sportwork mayhem axle is the axle you want if you want to upgrade to standard 1/8 scale 17mm hex stuff (Thats what I did)

The rear shock shaft I have broken twice (hit tree and a big jump at the scate park and landed wrong)so I upgraded to the 3.5mm lightning stadium pro shaft. Much stronger and hardened.
I put bearings in the steering posts and installed a better servo (I did that just to get the slop out of the steering system)

Hope HPI takes care of you and gets some dang parts here in the US. Its been almost 2 moonths this truck has been out and still no parts. Lucky for me I have been able to find parts I needed that were from th hotbodies lightening stadium truck (which is the same truck as the trophy truggy)

Ireally, really appreciate your gesture, and Ithank you, but Iactually found a solution. I found out that Ican get front shafts from a D8T and get tekno rc axle stubs and those will fit. Ialready bought the D8T shafts and the D8T stubs that use the real 17mm hexes, but the pin kept on slipping out on the cvd, so the axle kept coming apart. I even used red loc-tite on the set screw, but it still came apart. The tekno rc stub has a retaining clip that goes around the stub and holds the pin in, so you dont even have to use a set screw.

Iactually wasn't able to shim the spider gears in the diffs, so Iended up buying the hardened steel spider gears for the hot bodies D8T. They seem a little heavier than the ones that were originally in the diffs, so hopefully they'll hold up for more than 5 runs, unlike the original gears. Iput 60k diff fluid in the front diff and 30k in the rear, team associated brand fluid. I'll see how those weights work for now. Ikinda want to lock the center diff, since i'll be bashing the truggy because there isn't anything else to do with it around here. Ihave a couple busted diffs from my old savage and they seem to be the same size and everything as my truggy, so I bought a diff locker for a savage off ebay for 10 bucks. Have any of you ever used one of those? If it doesn't fit, Ibought some kyosho 500k diff fluid. I don't know how im gonna be able to get that stuff in the diff. Its so thick. Maybe a shovel or something? And then Imanaged to find a cheap servo for now, until I'm able to save up some money. It's a CYS brand metal gear analog servo. It's supposedly rated at around 220 oz-in of torque at 6.0v. It's coming from china though.

Old 04-07-2012, 05:01 AM
mycarisaser

If you want to sell your stock CVDS that were up front let me know. I am looking for a pair. I will buy them from you and also if you want another set of the tecno axles and d8t cvds I have those too. Again really looking for a stock set
Old 04-07-2012, 05:58 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

Find a used D8T roller and swap your running gear into it.

You will be a happier camper.
Old 04-07-2012, 01:43 PM
mycarisaser

Stripped my rear spider gears yesterday buying the hardened gears to replace it
Old 04-07-2012, 09:50 PM
skidoo06

If you want to sell your stock CVDS that were up front let me know. I am looking for a pair. I will buy them from you and also if you want another set of the tecno axles and d8t cvds I have those too. Again really looking for a stock set

I have one stock cvd that is still in one peice. On the other one, half of the threads snapped off of the axle stub. you can still use it, but the threads don't reach the nylon part of the wheel nut. Right now the broken cvd is torn apart because i thought i was going to be able to use those axles with the D8T axle stubs, but the trophy truggy cvd axle is different and doesn't fit. Ican put the axle back together. If you still want them, we could figure out a deal with your d8t cvd's and tekno axles.

Well, I got the tekno axle stubs and Iordered the joint rebuild kit from tekno rc at the same time, but the "barrel" in the tekno joint kit that goes in the axle is smaller than the original d8t one. Ifigured that the tekno axle for the D8 has a smaller hole, which would make sense because they say that the axle is stronger. So, I had to order up a D8T joint rebuild kit. I also have had a lot of problems with the front steering knuckles. The bolts that thread into the top and bottom of them keep on stripping out, and i'm not even rough on them. I think it's because of low quality aluminum. They have nicer aluminum knuckles, but they're over 60 dollars! At least the original knuckles are like 6-7 dollars, so i'll just keep a few on hand until I figure something else out.

My truggy is almost ready to go. I just have to wait for the joint rebuild kit and the servo coming from china and then it'll be drive-able again, at least until it breaks again (which I hope is going to take a while).

And it also looks like Tower Hobbies is expecting to get parts for the trophy truggy in the near future. They put quite a bit of items on the parts list for the truggy recently.

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

Find a used D8T roller and swap your running gear into it.

You will be a happier camper.

Do you know where Icould get a D8T roller? Ilooked on eBay and i couldn't find anything but brand new kits.
Old 04-08-2012, 04:18 AM
mycarisaser

skidoo06 sent you a PM
Old 04-13-2012, 02:51 PM
mycarisaser

Got the cvds from skidoo06 (put the sportwerks mayhem axles on them) and also got the lightning pro hardened gears installed in the diffs. So my truck is now the way I want it
Old 04-19-2012, 04:26 AM
mycarisaser

do any of you know what cvd rebuild kit fits the stock CV shafts. I snapped the inside barrel in half. I went to the LHS and picked up a mip 1/8th scale monster rebuild kit and the barrel is the right length but is a hair to thick to fit inside the ball of the shaft. Any insite would help
Old 04-20-2012, 07:24 PM
ldmarkey

was just browsing and came across your post.

SAME PROBLEMS!!!!!!
Wheel fell off not even ten minutes in and minor pre-running . Left Rear? whatever... So get that fom hpi 7 -10 days later.

Now center and rear diffs junk- started bad what i would call "meshing " noise. no output from rear diff and center just grinds away....

So iHave been going back and forth with this John Mora? at hpi . now he wants part numbers and pictures.

465 dollar waste. minus the two Venom 7.4 lipos . part numbers ? he works for them and I have to tear down and reinstall another inferior part.

I GUESS i AM BEING TO NICE ABOUT IT IN MY EMAILS. wanted a good quality basher and now i have a 2 wheel drive ashtray.

I bet you total time on vehicle is 1 hour.

let ya go just thought i would share same crap with you.

let me know if anything comes of it

larry markey
la salle, mi
[email protected]

Old 04-20-2012, 08:51 PM
skidoo06

I'm sorry to hear that you're having the same problems. Hopefully, if enough people tell HPIabout the faults and weak points of this truck, maybe they will revise it.

Iam actually having really good luck with my truck right now, after doing some upgrading.

ldmarkey, If you want, I could make a list of parts Iput on my truck to make it stronger, either on here or in an e-mail. Ialso bought mine for a nice basher that isn't a big monster truck.

Ithink i'm getting to the point where i've fixed most of the weak points, and once you can drive it for a whole battery cycle and not break it, it's actually a really fun truck.

When Ifirst got the truck and it was falling apart on me, I just wanted to get rid of it, and i'm guessing you're feeling the same way. But if you still like the truck, Isuggest upgrading it with the parts Ibought for mine. Then you won't have to keep e-mailing HPI for replacement parts that will just break again anyways.

Old 04-21-2012, 01:46 AM
ldmarkey

That would be pretty cool if you could and I would appeciate it . Just shoot me an email when you get a chance .

I guess just excpected more out a company with the history like HPI. My pro-mamba blitz is great even out of the box stock was great. But ya know I must be getting old, for the money we spent it is sad . Service and quality means a lot to me and I sure you also.

I am going to email HPI again today . no playing around this time.

I would be greatful for the lists of parts , funny I just had started to find out if there was diff upgrades and axle hop-up .

take care from the"south" and from one fellow truggy horror show to another , smooth trails!

Larry

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.