Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc
View Poll Results: A poll
Stampede XL-5 (£179)
5.88%
Stampede VXL 2wd (£289)
11.76%
Stampede VXL 4x4 (£339)
29.41%
Something else (please specify)
52.94%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Adding a waterproof model to my line-up... which one?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 05:13 AM
pritch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adding a waterproof model to my line-up... which one?

Hi folks,

I've been thinking of adding a waterproof model to my line-up for some time now. In my garage already, amongst others, are a 2003 e-maxx and a 2009 e-revo with a Novak brushless conversion. Both are running 4S lipo - when I bought the Revo a case full of 5000mAh lipos was included in the deal, so I have spare packs ready to drop in to any new model.

The UK weather being what it is, I'd like a model I'm confident to run in wet, and also snow etc. when it happens (not often). In dry conditions I'm most likely to stick to running my revo.

As a basher mostly running on grass, dirt and pavement, the Stampede naturally came to mind. If the Pede 4x4 had been available in 2003, that would have probably been my first main r/c rather than the e-maxx.

But bearing in mind the cost of the Pede 4x4 and the models I already own, I have been tempted to keep things simple and get a XL-5. Does this logic hold? On the one hand I like adding a 2wd Traxxas model, I like the simplicity and the price, but I can't help thinking it might not be capable in the wet with 2wd. Then there's the issue of power, revo is quite fast enough for me so brushless isn't essential, but what I do question is which system is, all in all, probably best suited to running in wet conditions?

Has anyone had issues with running either the brushed/brushless systems in harsh conditions, or a preference on which copes best?

Also I'm not familiar with waterproof models from other manufacturers, so if any other recommendations let me know, and any tips over and above the obvious for wet running appreciated.
Old 04-12-2012, 05:31 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Adding a waterproof model to my line-up... which one?

HPI wheely king (new one) 4wd is water proof http://www.hpiracing.com/kitinfo/106173/ I can say from experience it does pretty damn good in snow (for what little we had this year by me...)
also the savage xs is listed as waterproof (4wd) supposed to be a good RC from what I read. I would get one, but I'm out of room to put RC's [:@]

I'll be honest only things I ran in water/wet conditions are brushed models. I've not taken a BL out seeing I don't have a ton of room near me, and if I lose control of one I almost definitely would hit, and damage someones property.

The pede 4X4 isn't a bad truck, and can handle quite well(how good in wet conditions I dunno). A 2wd would need skis swapped on for snow to be able to drive or the front end I find digs in, and gets stuck.
Old 04-12-2012, 06:04 AM
cumminspower5.9
My Feedback: (4)

Savage flux xs and get a hobbywing xerun esc to replace the stock esc. all  you will need.
Old 04-12-2012, 07:09 AM
pyromatic177

ORIGINAL: cumminspower5.9

Savage flux xs and get a hobbywing xerun escto replace the stock esc. all you will need.
that's a good idea

Old 04-12-2012, 07:12 AM
Eman77

I'm curious - why the recommendation to swap out the Savage XS Flux ESC with a HW one? Is the stock one not up to snuff, not waterproof, or what?

Savage XS is a good recommendation, from what I've read. I'd stick with 4WD for wet conditions. 2WD is fine and all, but in the wet stuff you'll be able to do more with 4WD, generally speaking.
Old 04-12-2012, 07:34 AM
cumminspower5.9

Emann, i recommend that because my esc just burnt out 3 weeks ago for my xs. with the HW system, you can run a 3s if needed. 2s no problem. or maybe he could use the HW system as a backup if/when the stock xs esc goes. the flux system is waterproof, not sure of the HW one though. If the OP isnt going to be running in wet conditions tho, no biggie. im getting the HW system IF my repaired flux esc dies again. just a good idea and for the price, cant beat it

Old 04-12-2012, 07:43 AM
pritch

Interesting. I really don't want to shell out for a Savage XS, and a replacement ESC for it out of the box. We're looking at big money there - well over £300 for a 1/14th scale truck.

I'm curious about this 1/14th thing - side by side with a 'pede is there much in it?!? And what about the wheely king at 1/12th scale? I gotta be honest, it's gotta be closer to my Maxx in size than my Lunchbox!

Wheely king 4x4 does kinda interest me though - I like the authentic-ish monster chassis and it looks like it might be the thing for wet/muddy/etc. bashing... if it's big enough. Thing is it's not available from anywhere in the UK that I can see - is it that new???

The emphasis here is definitely on a big, tough, dumb, waterproof truck, rather than outright handling or speed.
Old 04-12-2012, 07:57 AM
cumminspower5.9

The Flux XS isnt much smaller than a stampede. plus its $297 with free shipping from towerhobbies. one hell of a deal for a 4wd mini with 1/10 scale electronics. the motor is crazy with torque. its tough, and water proof out of the box. and not every esc on the flux has failed. its a new design so some will have flaws. plus IF it were to fail, HPI will repair it up to one year after purchase for free.

Old 04-12-2012, 08:45 AM
pritch

Can't buy from tower as I'm not in the US (well, I can, but I could get hit with import fees on something this big)

What about the Bullet Flux? Check this out http://www.modelsport.co.uk/hpi-bull...&ChassisID=707

That is the same price as the Savage XS (for me) and is presumably bigger?

I have heard some of the HPIs aren't as well made as the Savage family now - is this one of them? Does that explain why a 1/10th scale Bullet is the same price as a 1/14th scale Savage?
Old 04-12-2012, 08:54 AM
cumminspower5.9

The bullet flux looks like a cool truck. i dont have any opinions on it since i have never ownded one, but HPI has made some solid trucks over the years. im not sure about the quality. its a new truck/platform so i would do some research. I think for what you are looking at, i woudl say the stampede vxl  of the vxl 4x4. the vilineon is a good system. i owned a bandit and it went thru hell and back and still came out alive.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:19 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

well the WK for some reason was Discontinued in europe, but they came out with the waterproof one over here that europe didn't get. Guess the original just didn't sell well there so they didn't bother.
as for differences in it and a pede just held it up to a 2wd pede its about an inch shorter (probably half an inch in reality, I had to shorten mine a teeny bit for a mod)

As for the bullet only negative I can recall reading from someone was the ESC/motor is too small for the truck, and gets hot. Which makes sense seeing it looks exactly like a HW 35A system. I dunno what is up with HPI recently that they have been putting electronics not up to the task in their electrics.
Old 04-12-2012, 10:00 AM
cumminspower5.9

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

well the WK for some reason was Discontinued in europe, but they came out with the waterproof one over here that europe didn't get. Guess the original just didn't sell well there so they didn't bother.
as for differences in it and a pede just held it up to a 2wd pede its about an inch shorter (probably half an inch in reality, I had to shorten mine a teeny bit for a mod)

As for the bullet only negative I can recall reading from someone was the ESC/motor is too small for the truck, and gets hot. Which makes sense seeing it looks exactly like a HW 35A system. I dunno what is up with HPI recently that they have been putting electronics not up to the task in their electrics.
I kinda have a feeling it has to do with cutting costs a little. Looking at thebullet, it looks cool and tough,but then the performance comes in a little short.But in the end it's hurting their reputation a little. Dont get me wrong, i like the savage line a lot, but its unfortunate that the speed controls seem to be taking the hardest hit.
Old 04-12-2012, 10:09 AM
Eman77

Bullet Flux looks cool, but those are some big old wheels/tires on it. Hope the drivetrain and electronics are up to snuff.
Old 04-12-2012, 10:29 AM
pritch

Thanks for the heads-up. That explains the newer wheely king 4x4 not being available in stores here, which kinda sucks, as if it came in close to £200 I'd seriously consider it.

It seems like here, HPI is trying to come in at a cheaper price point than Traxxas for a comparable vehicle. It's pretty clear that the Bullet is going up against the 4x4 Pede but undercuts it by around £50. From what I've read though so far, it seems the Traxxas justifies the extra price in performance and genuine waterproofed-ness out of the box. Disappointing that the Bullet hasn't got a properly sealed rx box, for example.

It's £100 more than the Pede XL-5. For that it's 4wd, brushless, 2,4ghz and reasonbly waterproof. I guess I have to decide if the extra cost is really worth it for my needs from this vehicle, and if the Bullet stacks up as a design.
Old 04-12-2012, 11:36 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: Eman77

Bullet Flux looks cool, but those are some big old wheels/tires on it. Hope the drivetrain and electronics are up to snuff.
well as far as the drive chain I wouldn't worry it was originaly sold as a Hot Bodies Lightning GT10, and those tires (at least on the ST version) are not that bad they are lighter than the 2.2inch mashers 2k's. I actually use the same rims, and tires as the ST bullet has on my pede 4X4.
Old 04-12-2012, 11:42 AM
Eman77

Ah, cool. Are those HPI Revolvers for the wheels? If so, you're correct that they aren't heavy (I used to have a set, and weighed them back when heavier sets w/heavy tires were ripping my E-Savage drivetrain to shreds).
Old 04-12-2012, 01:03 PM
pritch

Hmm, after a bit more googling I'm not reading good things about the Bullet.

I think it's going to be one of the pedes... but which one
Old 04-12-2012, 01:06 PM
Eman77

Pede is a fun truck, I had the 2WD XL-5 version and I slapped a 8.5T BL setup in it. Good times, just wish it had 4WD at the time (no 4x4 Pede was sold at that point).

The 4x4 VXL seems like a nice option for you, but the price is a bit up there. Then again, you do get all the stuff you need in a BL package. That's a bummer what you're reading about the Bullet though, as it looks really cool.

Have you decided against the Savage XS then, due to the ESC scaring you, or non-waterproofness?
Old 04-12-2012, 01:15 PM
cumminspower5.9

The stampede vxl 4x4 would be a better option. it is a bit more prices, but it is 1/10 scale, 4wd, brushless and 2.4ghz. i think that would be your best bet if you cant get a flux xs. yea the pede cost more up front, but you will save money by not having to upgrade a lower end truck.

Old 04-12-2012, 01:22 PM
Eman77

Never mind my comment asking about the Flux XS, if he can't get it shipped to where he's at w/out customs and whatnot. I didn't read enough.
Old 04-12-2012, 02:55 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: Eman77

Never mind my comment asking about the Flux XS, if he can't get it shipped to where he's at w/out customs and whatnot. I didn't read enough.
think flux xs is in europe, its the wheelie king that isn't
Old 04-12-2012, 03:20 PM
pritch

Eman: I watched Ultimate RC's video reviews of both Pede VXL and Savage XS. There is just such a size differential that they can't really be compared. It's clear that the XS looks to be built a lot tougher than the Bullet, although as Jang clearly shows, 3S rips it to pieces... literally.

The XS, in my opinion from the videos, isn't big enough to cope with its power output. That little chassis just wants to back-flip and cartwheel on 2S. There's a place for it, I'm sure, but it's not what I'm looking for this time. I wouldn't call it a "basher" myself.

Contrast that with the Pede VXL, with it's much bigger Slash-derived footprint, it seems to be a very stable basher. Also kinda surprised to see the XL-5 vids and how much traction the 2wd has off-road.
Old 04-12-2012, 05:11 PM
Traxxas Fanboy
Banned

Get something made by Traxxas, you won't be disappointed.
Old 04-12-2012, 06:45 PM
Eman77

ORIGINAL: Traxxas Fanboy

Get something made by Traxxas, you won't be disappointed.
...said a guy named "Traxxas Fanboy".

That's too funny.

Anyway, yeah, you'd still enjoy the 2WD Pede. It will handle off-road just fine. I just like my 4WD, and always wished my Pede had it. But that's really a matter of opinion, so if you feel 2WD will do you just fine, then save a few bucks and go for it.

Incidentally, I think the stock Pede tires (Talons) are crap for traction. I still don't know why Traxxas sells that nonsense. But don't let that stop you, just keep it in mind. There are plenty of wheel/tire alternatives out there.
Old 04-12-2012, 10:08 PM
lez1troubles

get a submarine.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.