Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

HPI OR Traxxas

Old 04-15-2012, 03:31 PM
Joecool73

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HPI OR Traxxas

Looking for my next addiction. I like my Rustler VXL no doubt about that. Using 2 3S in parallel 45C 6400 MAH. Temps do get hot though even with a 16T and 80 spur. Pretty fast but need better traction off road. Want something a little bigger,beefier and torkier, yeah those are real words. 4WD and at least in the 1/10 scale family, maybe 1/8 scale and also electric. Definitely want water proof electronics and brushless with lipo. Narrowing the field down to Traxxas or HPI. What models do you guys think? Doing standing back flips wouldn't be bad either.
Old 04-15-2012, 05:26 PM
BKoz559
My Feedback: (3)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: HPI OR Traxxas

HPI Savage Flux HP. Enough said.
Old 04-15-2012, 05:27 PM
kistner
My Feedback: (10)

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Savage and erevo come to mind. Either appeal to you?
Old 04-15-2012, 06:15 PM
Traxxas Fanboy
Banned

Traxxas is a great brand and since you already have one Traxxas model why not get another. The Slash and Stampede both come in 4X4 vxl aka. brushless versions with waterproof electronics but if you want something bigger like the E-revo then you would need the brushed version for it to be waterproof. There is also the Summit but if speed is your desire then it's more than likely not the truck for you. The brushless E-revo while it's not waterproof it will knock your socks off with its power and speed.
Old 04-15-2012, 06:34 PM
Medrivfast

E-Revo or HPI Vorza
I just bought both of those recently. That Vorza is a beast on 6s Lipo
Old 04-15-2012, 08:10 PM
yakfish
My Feedback: (27)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

HPI over Traxxas. But whats your price range? If you are consiering spending the $650 for a vorza or Savege flux or $750 for a CC powered E-Revo I would consider something better. Like a Losi or AE truggy or buggy. Actually i really like the look of the AE SC8
Old 04-15-2012, 09:35 PM
FahrtAutoRC

HPI Savage, Vorza, etc. Traxxas E-Revo would be sweet, but IMHO, a comprimise compared to the Savage.
Old 04-15-2012, 10:38 PM
BKoz559

I've seen brushless powered 1/8 buggies like the AE 8.2E and I know other companies make kits.  There's one that shows up at the track once in a while, but I've never seen a true 1/8 electric truggy.  Is there a kit available or must one convert a nitro platform to accomodate the brushless system and batteries?  A brushless truggy on 6S would be pretty damn sweet!
Old 04-16-2012, 07:04 AM
FahrtAutoRC

Check out Losi's website, and Team Associated. They have some of the best RTR E-buggies on the market. HPI has some nice ones too

ORIGINAL: BKoz559

I've seen brushless powered 1/8 buggies like the AE 8.2E and I know other companies make kits. There's one that shows up at the track once in a while, but I've never seen a true 1/8 electric truggy. Is there a kit available or must one convert a nitro platform to accomodate the brushless system and batteries? A brushless truggy on 6S would be pretty damn sweet!
Old 04-16-2012, 07:39 AM
yakfish

I've seen brushless powered 1/8 buggies like the AE 8.2E and I know other companies make kits. There's one that shows up at the track once in a while, but I've never seen a true 1/8 electric truggy. Is there a kit available or must one convert a nitro platform to accomodate the brushless system and batteries? A brushless truggy on 6S would be pretty damn sweet!
It is!!

You can get a conversion kit for just about any of the major truggy brands. RC Monster has a bunch of them for sale. Losi also make a great kit to convert any of the 8ight/8ight 2.0 buggies or truggies.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:29 AM
BKoz559

Thanks Fahrt, I know of E-buggies but I was talking about a true factory released 1/8 e-truggy. Yak apparently made one so, Im jealous now. A brushless Revo is just about the closest thing that exists bug its not the same and it doesnt have the durability of a Losi, Associated or Mugen.

ORIGINAL: FahrtAutoRC

Check out Losi's website, and Team Associated. They have some of the best RTR E-buggies on the market. HPI has some nice ones too

Old 04-16-2012, 09:08 AM
Eman77

ORIGINAL: Traxxas Fanboy

Traxxas is a great brand and since you already have one Traxxas model why not get another. The Slash and Stampede both come in 4X4 vxl aka. brushless versions with waterproof electronics but if you want something bigger like the E-revo then you would need the brushed version for it to be waterproof. There is also the Summit but if speed is your desire then it's more than likely not the truck for you. The brushless E-revo while it's not waterproof it will knock your socks off with it's power and speed.
...deep down inside, you want to really recommend a Duratrax Evader, don't you Traxxas Fanboy?
Old 04-16-2012, 09:23 AM
Traxxas Fanboy
Banned

ORIGINAL: Eman77

ORIGINAL: Traxxas Fanboy

Traxxas is a great brand and since you already have one Traxxas model why not get another. The Slash and Stampede both come in 4X4 vxl aka. brushless versions with waterproof electronics but if you want something bigger like the E-revo then you would need the brushed version for it to be waterproof. There is also the Summit but if speed is your desire then it's more than likely not the truck for you. The brushless E-revo while it's not waterproof it will knock your socks off with its power and speed.
...deep down inside, you want to really recommend a Duratrax Evader, don't you Traxxas Fanboy?
Dura... what?
Old 04-16-2012, 09:56 AM
kahnen

A few come factory electric, None I have any experience with.

Lrp: Online ordering for most US people, same with parts support.
http://www.lrp.cc/en/products/rc-car...y-rtr/details/

Caster: Makes very good race stuff, but part support will be tough, mail order for most people.
http://www.casterracing.com/car/main...p?cid=4&iid=10

Hpi: Seen alot of people complain that its just not the same quality as they're use to from HPI savage's line.(read disappointed)
http://www.hpiracing.com/kitinfo/107018/

Redcat: Online parts support for most.
http://www.redcatracing.com/RC-Cars/...oon-xte-truggy

A no name brand for those gambler types that risk getting something good or bad: Probably a copy of something but unless you know what, 0 parts support more an likely.
http://www.emphobby.com/goods.php?id=14

LOL, the more I look, the more I find....

Team C has one: Looks like just a kit no motor or radio gear though but set up from factory for electric.
http://www.ckhobby.com/shop/?control...product_id=508

Looks like Xray is coming out with one:
http://www.teamxray.com/teamxray/new...053745758e60e0
Old 04-16-2012, 10:21 AM
BKoz559

The LRP, HPI and XRAY are what Im talking about. It would be nice to see AE, Losi or other big racing names offer a kit.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:42 AM
t9dragon
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Joecool73

Looking for my next addiction. I like my Rustler VXL no doubt about that. Using 2 3S in parallel 45C 6400 MAH. Temps do get hot though even with a 16T and 80 spur. Pretty fast but need better traction off road. Want something a little bigger,beefier and torkier, yeah those are real words. 4WD and at least in the 1/10 scale family, maybe 1/8 scale and also electric. Definitely want water proof electronics and brushless with lipo. Narrowing the field down to Traxxas or HPI. What models do you guys think? Doing standing back flips wouldn't be bad either.

Savage Flux HP or Savage Flux XS.....
Old 04-16-2012, 12:50 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Joecool73

depends on the model
Savages by HPI are the closest thing to indestructible you can get with MT's that I seen.
some of their newer non savage models not so much.
Traxxas main issue with them is their sliders they use on literally everything, they are ****, and like to twist up with brushless power.

If you want RTR that has a few option I'd say probably a pede 4X4 you can do quite a few things with them to change how it performs(but still have the crappy plastic slider shafts)
If you want a pure MT that can take a beating the Savage line.

If you don't mind a kit you can do way better than the traxxas IMO for close to same cost. OFNA sells some of the most durable, and low cost RC kits that I've seen.
Old 04-16-2012, 01:04 PM
yakfish

Thanks Fahrt, I know of E-buggies but I was talking about a true factory released 1/8 e-truggy. Yak apparently made one so, Im jealous now. A brushless Revo is just about the closest thing that exists bug its not the same and it doesnt have the durability of a Losi, Associated or Mugen.
Yes, I actually have 2 of them right now. a Losi 8ight-Te with a MMM ESC and a Nue 1518 1800 motor and a Mugen MBX5Te with a tekin RX8 and a 1700 truggy motor. both are easy to convert. I really like the kit for the Losi the best though. The MBX5T is using an RCmonster mount and a Losi battery tray.
Old 04-16-2012, 06:47 PM
AcidSword09

I have a HPI BLITZand it is awesome. I cut a hole in the top today to coll down the battery.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:12 PM
FahrtAutoRC

If you end up converting one I would highly recommend a Tekno kit. Amainhobbies.com has some for cheap
Old 04-16-2012, 08:14 PM
FahrtAutoRC

If you are doing things right, nothing should get warm on this truck, it barely weighs anything!

ORIGINAL: AcidSword09

I have a HPI BLITZand it is awesome. I cut a hole in the top today to coll down the battery.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:32 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

BTW-The Team C stuff is actually pretty decent. If you get the chance, check it out in person. ThunderbirdJunkie isn't going to trade in his B4 for one of their 2w buggies just yet, but they're well built and on par with everything else on the market.

If you end up converting one I would highly recommend a Tekno kit. Amainhobbies.com has some for cheap
Tekno's stuff is generally well made, but ITBJHO their electric conversions are overly complex for no good reason.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:39 PM
FahrtAutoRC

Well i bought my 8ight already converted, so yay for me there. I have seen many other companies offerings, and TBH I think they fall far short, 9/10 times. I AM hating this motor mount, but that's just me!

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

BTW-The Team C stuff is actually pretty decent. If you get the chance, check it out in person. ThunderbirdJunkie isn't going to trade in his B4 for one of their 2w buggies just yet, but they're well built and on par with everything else on the market.

Tekno's stuff is generally well made, but ITBJHO their electric conversions are overly complex for no good reason.
Old 04-16-2012, 11:31 PM
kopperlis123
Banned

Very very cool, and thanks for the lesson! I love your unique ink!

Old 04-17-2012, 08:14 AM
FahrtAutoRC

???
ORIGINAL: kopperlis123

Very very cool, and thanks for the lesson! I love your unique ink!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.