Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

8.4 Nimh vs. 7.4 LIPO

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 04:16 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: 8.4 Nimh vs. 7.4 LIPO

ORIGINAL: phmaximus

Yes that's correct. But that doesn't mean higher mah batteries have a higher amp rating. It's all about mah and there c rating together.
For example u can get a venom 2s 2400mah reciver battery but it's only rated at 0.5c that's only 1.2 amps max
Where u can get a zippy 2s 350mha micro sct battery thats rated at 20c that's 7amps
So rember mah ratings mean nothing all by them self. And neither does the c rating. It's all about there amp rating, witch is mah devided by 1000, times the c rating
C is a relational unit BY DESIGN. Not by the laws of physics. The relationship between C/mAh is man-made. mAh is not inherently relative to power, it's a variable, like wheel diameter when calculating horsepower at the wheels. I will say no more on this as it's detracting from the purpose of the thread.
Old 05-02-2012, 04:31 AM
kistner
My Feedback: (10)

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

It's all about mah and there c rating together.
thanks, that's where I was going all along but then started to doubt myself.
Old 05-02-2012, 06:01 AM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Foxy

You're not missing anything, that would be true of batteries with the same C rating. Which is exactly my point, it's the C rating that matters, not the mAh. To use your own example... A 4000mAh battery of 40c, an 8000mAh battery of 15c. Which can deliver more power? See what I mean?
Sorry I respectively disagree.
Its not the C rating that matters. Its the amps that really matters for the power(watts)... oh and volts. and the amps is deternined by the mAh/1000xC. Amp X Volts = Power in watts.

Yes that's correct. But that doesn't mean higher mah batteries have a higher amp rating. It's all about mah and there c rating together.
For example u can get a venom 2s 2400mah reciver battery but it's only rated at 0.5c that's only 1.2 amps max
Where u can get a zippy 2s 350mha micro sct battery thats rated at 20c that's 7amps
So rember mah ratings mean nothing all by them self. And neither does the c rating. It's all about there amp rating, witch is mah devided by 1000, times the c rating
C is a relational unit BY DESIGN. Not by the laws of physics. The relationship between C/mAh is man-made. mAh is not inherently relative to power, it's a variable, like wheel diameter when calculating horsepower at the wheels. I will say no more on this as it's detracting from the purpose of the thread.
Yes I know that.? thats what i was explaining but in simpler terms. thats why I pointed out some batterys have a max C rating of 0.5 where other ones have a higher rating. Not all batteries have the same C rating or even the same mAh rating. I think this information is revelant to the purpose of this thread. because how can u compare the power from a Nimh to a lipo with out understanding how to work out there max current draw then there peak watts.To some one that knows nothing about batteries would find these posts very helpfull and easy to read.

For example the average C rating on a nimh is 10c. on a expensive quality pack it might be able to burst up to 20c MAX

Lets compare a 7.4v s2 lipo 3300mah 30c (cheap china pack Akku $21.68 ) to a 8.4v 7cell nimh 3300mah 7c (losi Losb9917 $34.99)

We will start with the Nimh

Nimh 3300/1000=3.3, 3.3*7=23.1amps max now for power 23.1*(1.45*7)=234.465watts mind u thats not taking in consideration voltage drop/sag

Now fo the Lipo

Lipo 3300/1000=3.3, 3.3*30=99amps max now for power 99*(4.2*2)=831.6watts mind u thats not taking in consideration voltage drop/sag

voltage drop/sag is not constant it varies on diffrent brands and ratings even varies from 2 of the exactly the same batteries
tipically a nimh drops to 1.2v/cell under load and a lipo drops to 3.7v/cell these are averages and not to be taken litterlay

Another thing to consider 3300 mAh battery that has 80% efficiency it will have 2640 mAh of useable capacity....

So looking at that its safe to say the lipo has 4 times the power. even tho its a 7.4v lipo compared to a 8.4v nimh (thats with 100% efficiency and no V sag)

Like one of my previous posts my Slash pulled 395.3watts just stuffing around inside in a small place. there is no way that Nimh could of got that amount of power from my motor... (Was tested with a inline GTPower watt meter in a 7.4v 2s 5500mAh battery, Yeahracing 35a ESC, 3900kv 380 core 540 motor)
Old 05-02-2012, 11:24 PM
Foxy

Read my posts again, take a physics course. Ask someone else who 'knows' about batteries. Let me give you another example to show you that mAh is insignificant...if battery manufacturers put how many amps their batteries could deliver under load instead of using this C rating, would you still think that the DURATION of the battery had anything to do with that? Again, a 7.4v battery could deliver 200A (7.4*200=1480W), where another battery of shorter or longer duration may only be able to deliver 100A (7.4*100=740W). Did I use the mAh rating in that calculation? No. Did I get the actual power of the battery without it? Yes. For the last time...how much CURRENT (AMPS) or POWER (WATTS) a battery can deliver has nothing whatsoever to do with the mAh rating. Or let me put it another way...can you work out the duration of the battery given the current, power and voltage? No you can't because there is no mathematical relationship. I really am done now, sorry guys, this stuff was basic for me at 7 years old, I don't have the time or inclination to argue about it anymore, think whatever you want.
Old 05-03-2012, 12:04 AM
phmaximus

I think u are confused, no one is saying anything against that??? read my post again
Who are u arguing with?.... what...come on..."Read my posts again, take a physics course. Ask someone else who 'knows' about batteries" you dont need to be like that. no one is having personal attacks, just supplying information. no one is trying to rustle ur feathers.
Yes the mAh is insignificant to the max amps the battery can supply, we know that and no one is arguing that.
But is it usefill for caculating the max amp draw if u have that and the C rating. Thats why i disagree about ut statments saying its the C rating that matters. its useless all by it self right?
OK u have just argued the exact same thing I have been saying. but worded diffrent. Congratulations about u been able to undertand this when u were seven. thats verry impressive as i would know, my daughter is 7 and she wouldent have a clue on any of this.
Honestly I think u are arguing with your self. The points u have made have no revelerance to anyones posts, no one here has said anything against ur points.
why are u been like this? Im only trying to help other people.
Look if u feel i have miss guided people, quote the section for me so i can revise it or see my wrong doings
Old 05-03-2012, 12:23 AM
phmaximus

look I dont care anymore. im not really into debating the same point over & over again with a Moderator. and with ur last post it looks like this thread is starting to get nasty. SO yes im not been any part of this against a Moderator that has the power to edit my posts, delete them or have the last say & lock the thread. Ive seen people on other forums been burnt by moderators for no reson using those powers. and I dont want that happining to me. might take a page from some other members and qoute ur posts sating i agree 100%, i call them "yes men"
Old 05-03-2012, 04:03 AM
Foxy

I think u are confused, no one is saying anything against that??? read my post again
Who are u arguing with?.... what...come on...''Read my posts again, take a physics course. Ask someone else who 'knows' about batteries'' you dont need to be like that. no one is having personal attacks, just supplying information. no one is trying to rustle ur feathers.
Yes the mAh is insignificant to the max amps the battery can supply, we know that and no one is arguing that.
But is it usefill for caculating the max amp draw if u have that and the C rating. Thats why i disagree about ut statments saying its the C rating that matters. its useless all by it self right?
OK u have just argued the exact same thing I have been saying. but worded diffrent. Congratulations about u been able to undertand this when u were seven. thats verry impressive as i would know, my daughter is 7 and she wouldent have a clue on any of this.
Honestly I think u are arguing with your self. The points u have made have no revelerance to anyones posts, no one here has said anything against ur points.
Look if u feel i have miss guided people, quote the section for me so i can revise it or see my wrong doings
I'm a lot of things, but I'm not confused.

Me being a mod has nothing to do with anything. I get annoyed with repeating myself, same as everyone else and I will NEVER have a problem with someone disagreeing with me, I am wrong...occasionally.

The original point was that another member had said that mAh is a factor in the power of a battery. It isn't. That's what started this conversation. Anyway, like you say, lets move on. Don't misunderstand, I never have hard feelings toward anyone, it's just hte internet. Never take anything I say personally.

I get pedantic about stuff like this, it's probably my problem not yours, Kistner was right in general that as a rule of thumb, higher duratoin batteries have higher amp delivery, however, it's not a rule, and I felt a clarification was needed. As always, people don't like having their stuff clarified (I don't blame them, I don't like it either), and a debate ensued (a debate though, not an argument), and I was in a bad mood when I wrote the post you refer to, and that isn't anyone on RCU's fault either, so yeh, I'm human and I apologise for being a little bit aggressive. No hard feelings bud.
Old 05-03-2012, 05:17 AM
kistner

let me ask this: lets say we have a battery that can deliver 100 amps, who cares what size it is or the 'c' rating. now we have two and we wire them up in parallel. how many amps can the set deliver?
Old 05-03-2012, 06:25 AM
Foxy

In a theoretically perfect environment, parallel wiring would give you the sum of the capacity and current handling. In other words, 2 x 7.4v 5000mAh 20C lipos wired in parallel would be the same as having one 7.4v 10000mAh 20C lipo (capable of delivering 200A). Each cell can handle 50A, each pair 100, so the more pairs you add in parallel, the more amps can be delivered simultaneously. Notice the C rating stays the same regardless how many cells you add, this is because it is independent of the capacity.
Old 05-03-2012, 07:23 AM
FUBAR VXL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So...

I just want to make sure Im ok with the battery I bought for my Slash VXL4x4:

7.4V 2S 8000mAh 25C Lipo battery

I just want to make sure that it will give me some good power for 4x4 driving AND good for a solid run time.

Thanks,

FUBARVXL
Ruster VXL
Slash 4x4 VXL
Old 05-03-2012, 07:54 AM
kistner

yes, as long as it fits that should be a good one.
Old 05-03-2012, 05:19 PM
phmaximus

Ah cool, no hard fellings. I thought u were mad at me lol

Who are u arguing with?.... what...come on...''Read my posts again, take a physics course. Ask someone else who 'knows' about batteries'' you dont need to be like that. no one is having personal attacks, just supplying information. no one is trying to rustle ur feathers.

I'm a lot of things, but I'm not confused.

Me being a mod has nothing to do with anything. I get annoyed with repeating myself, same as everyone else and I will NEVER have a problem with someone disagreeing with me, I am wrong...occasionally.

The original point was that another member had said that mAh is a factor in the power of a battery. It isn't. That's what started this conversation. Anyway, like you say, lets move on. Don't misunderstand, I never have hard feelings toward anyone, it's just hte internet. Never take anything I say personally.

I get pedantic about stuff like this, it's probably my problem not yours, Kistner was right in general that as a rule of thumb, higher duratoin batteries have higher amp delivery, however, it's not a rule, and I felt a clarification was needed. As always, people don't like having their stuff clarified (I don't blame them, I don't like it either), and a debate ensued (a debate though, not an argument), and I was in a bad mood when I wrote the post you refer to, and that isn't anyone on RCU's fault either, so yeh, I'm human and I apologise for being a little bit aggressive. No hard feelings bud.
Old 05-03-2012, 11:48 PM
borybosell
Banned

I think 8.4 Nimh is better than the 7.4 LIPO because 8.4 Nimh is running on slash 4x4 VLX, I am really impressed with this bettaries like good speed, good power and best length of a run time. 7.4 LIPO is lower voltage bettry. It is not supported my running slash 4x4 VLX. It is support by high voltage battry and 8.4 Nimh is high voltage batrry.
Old 05-04-2012, 03:59 AM
Foxy

ORIGINAL: borybosell

I think 8.4 Nimh is better than the 7.4 LIPO because 8.4 Nimh is running on slash 4x4 VLX, I am really impressed with this bettaries like good speed, good power and best length of a run time. 7.4 LIPO is lower voltage bettry. It is not supported my running slash 4x4 VLX. It is support by high voltage battry and 8.4 Nimh is high voltage batrry.
I'm afraid you are incorrect mate. A fully charged 7.4v lipo actually gives HIGHER voltage for more of the battery's duration, than an 8.4v nimh (7.4v lipos charge to exaclty 8.4v if they are in good condition, and take longer to drop off). Not to mention lipos are lighter, deliver more current and perform more consistently. Only for the first couple of minutes of the battery would the nimh offer more voltage.
Old 05-04-2012, 04:49 AM
LaTuFu
My Feedback: (1)

Beyond what Foxy already said, the fact is NiMh is an older, less efficient battery technology than LiPo. It is not in any way a better battery than a LiPo.

If you want to continue to use it, that is fine, but it is a personal preference choice, not a "better battery" choice.

Old 05-04-2012, 09:02 AM
Scoob

So I should toss out my 2s 40C 5000 mah packs in favor of some 2s 50C 1000 mah packs? Run time will be low but who needs that evil capacity anyhow. That big magical C rating will give me more power.

Said in jest but I could see some newbs saying just that after reading this confusing thread. I understand what Foxy is trying to convey but It seems more of a technicality that only serves to confuse people. I could argue that the sky isn't blue, and form a pretty good arguement based on semantics but whats the point?
Old 05-04-2012, 11:57 AM
FUBAR VXL

Guys,

I ran my 7.4V 8000 mAh Lipo last night for the first time with my Slash 4x4.

I was running it mostly at full speed on the street, and grass. Also ran a ton on dirt and gravel jumps.

Overall, it gave me very consistant speed and great power - but the run time was AMAZING...I got 55 minutes out of it - and that was from the first charge.

Not bad - right?

Im very happy with my Lipo purchase.

Thanks,

FUBARVXL
Rustler VXL
Slash 4x4 VXL
Old 05-04-2012, 12:38 PM
kistner

Make sure you keep an eye on your temps, that is a long run at wot with a 4x4.
Old 05-04-2012, 04:34 PM
Foxy

I'm glad it ran great for you, yeh, 8000 is a seriously high capacity pack, I don't htink I've even run a gasser 55 minutes non stop, EVER! Funny, it wasn;t that long ago that the main ciritcism of electric was duration, now you can get batteries that will outlast gas cars. In a matter of what, 10 years? Are we moving too fast?

Anyway, I'm amazed you managed to find an 8000mAh pack that fitted? Have you got a link tot he battery? I'd like to see it.
Old 05-04-2012, 05:43 PM
The_Shark

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok, so i just had my world on batteries flipped on it's head.... I know MAH is the capacity- how many hours a battery can supply a given current draw (which i think is 100 milli amps) and the C- rating is how much current the battery can supply- i always used to think as long as your C rating was high MAH rating was just about how long it can keep it up, but then i read that its both C rating and MAH you use to figure out continuous watts and that's how you did it.

so here is am confused... and gassy... it makes sense that C rating is the most important thing of all, mah is just the capacity of the battery, but i have this teeny tiny 3s lipo with a 45C burst and 30c continuous rating but only 1,200mah and then i think to myself "would that be safe in a big rig?" but then im like "yeah, but it would eat the battery too quick and probably overheat the battery" and then i think "if there was more MAH overheating wouldn't be an issue" but then i think i figure it out " yes thats true, C rating IS max amperage, MAH just allows you to run at high current drain levels for longer however MAH does NOT make a more punchy battery"

I think i understand foxy now, all he is saying is mah has nothing to do with power output, just capacity, however you DO want a higher MAH battery along with high C rating if you use it on a high draw setup.
Old 05-04-2012, 05:45 PM
phmaximus

Hey foxy what gasser do u have???

IMO electric does have some duration problems, they are still having duration problems in the 1/5 sizes... I nearly got a MMXL powered losi 5t... but was put off but the run & charge times.

But on the other hand my slash lasts longer than my mates hyper 7... nearly 2 tanks to my 1 battery.

Cant wait till these newer 6000mah batteries with 15c charge get cheaper...
Old 05-04-2012, 05:49 PM
phmaximus

LOL, dude did u read any of my previous posts.... power is V*A and how long do u think ur 7cell holds 1.2vper cell for?

Old 05-04-2012, 05:49 PM
The_Shark

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: FUBAR VXL

Guys,

I ran my 7.4V 8000 mAh Lipo last night for the first time with my Slash 4x4.

I was running it mostly at full speed on the street, and grass. Also ran a ton on dirt and gravel jumps.

Overall, it gave me very consistant speed and great power - but the run time was AMAZING...I got 55 minutes out of it - and that was from the first charge.

Not bad - right?

Im very happy with my Lipo purchase.

Thanks,

FUBAR VXL
Rustler VXL
Slash 4x4 VXL
8,000mah? that is HUGE! i only have a 3000 and i get over an hour with that in my pan car, with 8,000 i could run for 2-3 hours! ( i use a outrunner system that is 98% efficient)
Old 05-04-2012, 05:55 PM
phmaximus

I'm afraid you are incorrect mate. A fully charged 7.4v lipo actually gives HIGHER voltage for more of the battery's duration, than an 8.4v nimh (7.4v lipos charge to exaclty 8.4v if they are in good condition, and take longer to drop off). Not to mention lipos are lighter, deliver more current and perform more consistently. Only for the first couple of minutes of the battery would the nimh offer more voltage.

Well said with one acception, a Nimh 7cell is around 1.45v per cell fully charged, 10.15v.... then drops to 1.2v per cell 8.4v underload
where a 2s lipo is 4.2v per cell fully charged 8.4v.... then it dropes to 3.7v per cell 7.4v under load
Old 05-04-2012, 06:26 PM
FUBAR VXL

Guys,

Here is the link for the 8000 Lipo battery - its $73: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXBPHA&P=7

Now the battery does fit, but its a bit tight - so to be safe, I ordered the battery extender - its $5.50: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXUVZ8&P=ML

Once I installed the battery extender, I can now fit ANYbattery, hump, no hump, 7-cell, 8 cell, Nimh, Lipo - it can fit them all - so worth the money.

Thanks,

FUBAR VXL
Rustler VXL
Slash 4x4 VXL

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.