Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

8.4 Nimh vs. 7.4 LIPO

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2012, 01:40 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: 8.4 Nimh vs. 7.4 LIPO

ORIGINAL: The_Shark

ok, so i just had my world on batteries flipped on it's head.... I know MAH is the capacity- how many hours a battery can supply a given current draw (which i think is 100 milli amps) and the C- rating is how much current the battery can supply- i always used to think as long as your C rating was high MAH rating was just about how long it can keep it up, but then i read that its both C rating and MAH you use to figure out continuous watts and that's how you did it.

so here is am confused... and gassy... it makes sense that C rating is the most important thing of all, mah is just the capacity of the battery, but i have this teeny tiny 3s lipo with a 45C burst and 30c continuous rating but only 1,200mah and then i think to myself ''would that be safe in a big rig?'' but then im like ''yeah, but it would eat the battery too quick and probably overheat the battery'' and then i think ''if there was more MAH overheating wouldn't be an issue'' but then i think i figure it out '' yes thats true, C rating IS max amperage, MAH just allows you to run at high current drain levels for longer however MAH does NOT make a more punchy battery''

I think i understand foxy now, all he is saying is mah has nothing to do with power output, just capacity, however you DO want a higher MAH battery along with high C rating if you use it on a high draw setup.
Correct on all counts.
Old 05-05-2012, 01:47 AM
Foxy

ORIGINAL: phmaximus

Hey foxy what gasser do u have???

IMO electric does have some duration problems, they are still having duration problems in the 1/5 sizes... I nearly got a MMXL powered losi 5t... but was put off but the run & charge times.

But on the other hand my slash lasts longer than my mates hyper 7... nearly 2 tanks to my 1 battery.

Cant wait till these newer 6000mah batteries with 15c charge get cheaper...
Gassers that have passed through my hands...

FG Monster Beetle pro, about $2000 in it. Still in my Garage, still running, this was my first gasser.
HPI Baja 5B about $3000 in it. Sold, disappointing.
2xMCD Rally 4x4. Both sold, one was for grip and the other was a drift project, disappointed by plastic parts and drivetrain.
Smartech Thunderbolt 4x4 buggy (the Original) this was a review prototype. I still have it, it's very ugly but runs great with a ported and tuned 23cc custom mill and an x-can.
Nutech Thunderbolt II 4x4 buggy, the evolution of the original, still have it, still runs. Planning to convert this to brushless one day. I agree, the battery tech isn't quite there yet, or at least is not yet affordable.

Click on my name and look at my gallery, there's pics of some of them. My Thunderbolt II review is still up here on RCU...lots of pics of that.
Old 05-05-2012, 01:48 AM
Foxy

That is by far the smallest 8000mAh pack I've seen. Nice find...hm....
Old 05-05-2012, 03:58 PM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm so into 1/5 ATM I've only got the losi 5ive, how's the last year I've been saying I'm buying a hpi 5t... After reading the review in Rc action of the 5ive it was sold in my mind... Hey bit off topic... But this thread is over anyway, what's a cheap 1/5 rally car, with cheap spare parts... I've seen the smart tech on eBay cheap
Old 05-05-2012, 11:39 PM
Foxy

ORIGINAL: phmaximus

I'm so into 1/5 ATM I've only got the losi 5ive, how's the last year I've been saying I'm buying a hpi 5t... After reading the review in Rc action of the 5ive it was sold in my mind... Hey bit off topic... But this thread is over anyway, what's a cheap 1/5 rally car, with cheap spare parts... I've seen the smart tech on eBay cheap
The only rally car that is actually capable of running on gravel is the MCD Rally with the long stroke suspension kit. It is not cheap and neither are parts. Almost all the other on-roads that are affordable are FG Evo clones (touring cars), which have more reasonable parts, but '1/5' and 'cheap parts' just don't go together, sadly.
Old 05-07-2012, 04:48 AM
phmaximus

ahhh cool, what about availability of parts???
Old 05-07-2012, 05:41 AM
FUBAR VXL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys - respectfully - please keep to the original topic and move this discussion to its own topic!

Thanks!
Old 05-07-2012, 05:55 AM
Foxy

I'm sorry was there something else you wanted to ask?
Old 05-07-2012, 06:07 AM
Paron34
My Feedback: (1)

Dump the VXL system get yourself something different and run 3 or 4 cell , 2 cell in slash seems like it would be slow and sluggish might as well go brushed.
Old 05-07-2012, 06:14 AM
Foxy

ORIGINAL: Paron34

Dump the VXL system get yourself something different and run 3 or 4 cell , 2 cell in slash seems like it would be slow and sluggish might as well go brushed.
The VXL can handle 3S, and goes like an absolute bullet on 3S. I don't agree with going 4 cell in 1/10th cars, the weight of the battery and a motor system that can handle it, ruins the balance of the car. I would also change the VXL for something else (specifically a mamba max pro with a castle 1410 4 pole motor), but not for the same reasons.

Also, slow and sluggish on 2s? Sanctioned racing is 2s, and they don't seem very sluggish. Oh well, I suppose that's a matter of opinion. I can assure though that with the correct gearing, the castle system I mention above is a ROCKET on 2s.
Old 05-07-2012, 07:23 AM
LaTuFu

2s in a Slash, properly geared, will be a bullet on a track.  Especially for a new driver learning the ropes.  I would say hold off on 3s for a while if that scenario describes you.  And definitely no on 4s.  The truck might handle it, after you made the necessary upgrades.  But on a track you'd never be able to utilize the extra power often enough to justify the extra weight.
Old 05-07-2012, 07:19 PM
Paron34

Most of the stuff I see on the semi "all 50 miles away" local tracks are slow and sluggish if they run 2's on a 1/10 scale its barely any different than the old brushed crap. I wont let my 7 year old son run 2's if hes showing off his RC,In my opinion 3's is very similar to nitro and if you can't handle it then where is the fun in the hobby ? unless its almost uncontrollable
Old 05-07-2012, 10:17 PM
phmaximus

lol a Slash on 3s on a track... yeah right maby on a low KV motor.

No kidding most dead stock brushed slash races are pulling more laps than the brushless guys.

IMO 3s would be like putting a GP super bike on a go cart track sure its faster, but the carts will beat it everytime

no kidding my slash on 2s is hard enough to controll on my local track. only time i can open it up is in the straight or just before the jumps, otherwise u just spin out... AS u would know its all about traction when racing & a 2wd SCT has the least amount ever for any class or racing. even the 1/16 rally cars have more traction

I challange anyone to upload a video of a 2wd SCT on 3s with over 3000kv motor