Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Hobbywing vs Velineon Motor?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 07:26 AM
rcmodelland
My Feedback: (14)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hobbywing vs Velineon Motor?

Hey guys-
So I'm thinking I'll up the ante one of these days (sooner than I think probably). Currently I'm running the cheapy Hobbywing 35A ESC/3000KV motor in the Dominus - actually a great combo, IMO, for the track I'm running on - outdoor mix of loose dirt and hardpack - and I'm actually very happy. Had great fun dicing with a 2WD Slash over the weekend. My 4X4 helped make up for less power - and the Slash rolled a TON more than my Dominus - a ton more. But I'll want more speed soon. Thinking I'll upgrade the motor/ESC to something more powerful that will likely eventually find its way into Losi SCTE roller in a few months or so....so as of now my plan is to get the Hobbywing 120A Waterproof SC8 ESC. Motor: I was thinking the Hobbywing 10T 3500KV or the Velineon. Both around $60. Is one better than the other? (if so why?) And is there a better motor for equal, or better yet, LESS money?

thoughts appreciated - thanks.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:35 AM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

Default RE: Hobbywing vs Velineon Motor?

Id go with a motor more powerful than the velineon. Something 4 pole or larger can sized.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:11 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

if you are looking at a hobbywing, and a vxl which have about the same power and the same cost...
then get the one which is waterproof, and which will come with a warrenty..IE the traxxas vxl.

Im not saying the hobbywing is bad, its just as good as the vxl IMO. but if the hobbywing fails who do you send it to? Good luck getting it replaced.

I have had traxxas replace (for free) 4 vxl ESC's and 1 vxl motor over the past 4 years. They are a big company(which has good and bad points) but their customer service is top notch.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:17 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd go with a 1800-2000kv motor, and run it on 4S if you are looking at the 120A HW ESC
I ran the slash 4X4 (when it was still one) on a 60A HW setup and it got damn hot.
I run my pede 4X4 (was a slash 4X4) with a 3500kv motor(bigger can from HK) on the 120A HW and it still gets pretty damn hot.
Old 05-04-2012, 07:14 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

I'd go with a 1800-2000kv motor, and run it on 4S if you are looking at the 120A HW ESC
I ran the slash 4X4 (when it was still one) on a 60A HW setup and it got damn hot.
I run my pede 4X4 (was a slash 4X4) with a 3500kv motor(bigger can from HK) on the 120A HW and it still gets pretty damn hot.
personally, i wouldnt run either 4x4 on 4s (even with a lower KV motor)
Reason being that the spur gear and driveshafts will not last long.
My buddy had a 150a system and 2000kv motor on 3s and he rarely got more than 5 minutes of runtime before a spur gear or driveshaft broke. Its simply more torque than the truck was meant to handle.
so then he dropped $100 on front/rear MIP metal driveshafts. He broke the front MIP driveshafts the 1st day. And this guy doesnt beat on his truck either. Its just that the slash/pede 4x4 are scaled up 1/10 2wd trucks with 4wd systems made to fit.
The 1/8 scale brushless systems and 4s lipo used in many 1/8 4wd trucks is different. the chassis was built to handle it.

syco, HOW hot were those systems getting? And what was the gearing? Did you gauge temps by touch or a gauge? 160 for the ESC and 180 for the motor is OK if you are running 3s.
I wouldnt use the HW 60a ESC either. If hobbywing, Id use at least the 80amp esc.
But using a true 540can 3000-3500kv motor is fine. Just gear it with the stock pinion.
Adding more torque will just mean lots of broken driveline parts.
Heat sink/fan on the motor always helps as well.
Old 05-04-2012, 07:43 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

personally, i wouldnt run either 4x4 on 4s (even with a lower KV motor)
Reason being that the spur gear and driveshafts will not last long.
My buddy had a 150a system and 2000kv motor on 3s and he rarely got more than 5 minutes of runtime before a spur gear or driveshaft broke. Its simply more torque than the truck was meant to handle.
so then he dropped $100 on front/rear MIP metal driveshafts. He broke the front MIP driveshafts the 1st day. And this guy doesnt beat on his truck either. Its just that the slash/pede 4x4 are scaled up 1/10 2wd trucks with 4wd systems made to fit.
The 1/8 scale brushless systems and 4s lipo used in many 1/8 4wd trucks is different. the chassis was built to handle it.

syco, HOW hot were those systems getting? And what was the gearing? Did you gauge temps by touch or a gauge? 160 for the ESC and 180 for the motor is OK if you are running 3s.
I wouldnt use the HW 60a ESC either. If hobbywing, Id use at least the 80amp esc.
But using a true 540can 3000-3500kv motor is fine. Just gear it with the stock pinion.
Adding more torque will just mean lots of broken driveline parts.
Heat sink/fan on the motor always helps as well.
2S on the SC8 ESC (120A) and http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=6673
and yea I couldn't find my thermometer so I was going by touch.

ohh yea as for the 60A HW setup I did have my thermometer that day it was over 150 after 6 minutes motor was 160 on 2s (but it was the 4000kv motor) I also used the lowest pinon I could get in the slash.

I'm gonna guess a 3000kv motor might work best in it.

You do got a god point about the crap drive chain Traxxas uses. I wasn't thinking about that when I said 1800kv on 4S I can only imagine how bad that would rip it up [:@]
Old 05-05-2012, 05:57 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

yeh, the slash and pede 4x4's are fun, but not built like 1/8 4x4 chassis are.

The slider shafts are fine for brushless and lower power brushless systems, but traxxas really needs to think about dogbones or CVDs on their bigger 4wd stuff.

And the MIP shafts are silly to. Yes, they are tough but why hasnt anyone come up with a simply drivecup/dogbone setup? CVD's always seem to have an issue with the set screws/pins coming loose.

Anyway, a properly geared traxxas vxl motor....with a heat sink is probly best for the slash/pede 4x4. As for the ESC the HW 120a will certainly do the job...just dont run more than 3s.
Old 05-05-2012, 09:22 AM
pyromatic177

I'm pretty happy with Hobby Wings stuff. I have the Xerun in my E-revo
Old 05-05-2012, 06:23 PM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

U can't compare the velineon to most of the hobby wing combos...

IMO the velineon only compares to the 35a combo... But even then the HW is a lot safer on 3s.

Why the hell would u need a 120a combo in a SCT?...
Old 05-05-2012, 06:43 PM
pyromatic177

Yeah i really like HW
Old 05-06-2012, 01:45 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: phmaximus

U can't compare the velineon to most of the hobby wing combos...

IMO the velineon only compares to the 35a combo... But even then the HW is a lot safer on 3s.

Why the hell would u need a 120a combo in a SCT?...
well in my case it is now a pede 4X4 running HPI bullet rims/tires, but easy the motor I got was rated 90A(originally wanted a 100A motor, but alas after 4 months of waiting for it to be in stock I got impatient) which is over the SC10's 80A limit

I also figured if I ever get sick of the pede I could buy a 1850kv motor, and a 1/8th scale buggy roller, and not have to re-buy the ESC