Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Talk to me about the E-Revo

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2012, 07:43 AM
FUBAR VXL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Talk to me about the E-Revo

Guys,

Im drooling over the BIGE-Revo. From what Igather, its a cross between the Slash 4x4 VXL and the Rustler VXL.

I dont race - so Im in the dirt about 70%of the time and on carpet tracks about 30% of the time. I love jumping and going over tough terrain.

I know its big, but do you guys think its worth the money? If anyone can provide any PROS and CONS about their experiences, I would certainly appreciate it.

Thanks,

FUBAR VXL
Rustler VXL
Slash 4x4 VXL
Old 05-13-2012, 08:32 AM
BKoz559
My Feedback: (3)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Talk to me about the E-Revo

A Revo is quit a big larger than a Slash and shares nothing with it or a Rustler besides the brand name. It's a monster truck with 3.8" wheels andlong-travel inboard mountedsuspension. The brushless variant is powered by a Castle system and is ridiculously fast with 6S LiPo power and costs more than $700 new. I think it's an awesome vehicle but, it's weakness is it's plastic drive shafts. I went with an HPI Savage Flux because Ibelieve it's built on a much tougher platform and it uses steel drive shafts. Plus it's powered by the same Castle brushless sytem.
Old 05-13-2012, 10:24 AM
RRHobbyDepot
My Feedback: (1)

HPI is built tougher. Savage flux. I sell it all and can tell you the Savage is the way to go.
Old 05-13-2012, 07:14 PM
FUBAR VXL

Iguess my concern is that Traxxas parts are so easy to get (local hobby shop and online). My local shop sells HPI but doesnt really "push" them as much. They push Losi and Traxxas - and they stock parts accordingly.

If the drive shaft is plastic in the E-Revo - are there upgrades to metal or carbon fiber that enhances this weakness?

Ido like the HPISavage - looks like a really nice truck - but Im just "in-bed" with (2) Traxxas trucks right now, and very happy with what they offer...

Thanks,

FUBARVXL
Rustler VXL
Slash 4x4 VXL
Old 05-13-2012, 07:21 PM
RRHobbyDepot

Understandable. I don't hate traxxas. I've sold a bunch of xo1. I'm getting orders for that new funny car. I like the Max and revo. I just feel.that the savage is better. Every company has good and bad products.
Old 05-13-2012, 07:32 PM
Nitroaddicted

From someone who has an abundance of experience with the E-Revo (owned one for 2 years), and I am not a traxxas fanboy of any sort. I also have experience with some of the E-Revo's competitors, especially the savage flux. If you have the money, buy the E-Revo. It has been a great car. Only breaks in TWO years have been 1 a-arm, a couple stripped spur gears and a wing (from the wheelies). This car has only been driven on 6s, so it has gone through hell and back. I've hit trees, curbs, you name it and it is continually running. The brushless version (which i have) comes with the great mamba monster system, which I have had no problems with. The car is quick, has great handling, very durable, versatile, it is just one of the best cars I've owned. Unlike the savage flux, which breaks hubs left and right, blows differentials, requires zip ties. The E-Revo is better hands down. Go and get it asap.

PS. I haven't had any drive shaft breaks, the plastic drive shafts have held up to 6s power for two years and going.
Old 05-13-2012, 07:35 PM
Nitroaddicted

ORIGINAL: RRHobbyDepot

HPI is built tougher. Savage flux. I sell it all and can tell you the Savage is the way to go.
That is simply not true. My savage flux broke the first day, my friend's flux broke the first day. I hear stories about their "bullet proof" differentials blowing constantly. I've owned both, and can say that the E-Revo is more durable that the savage.
Old 05-13-2012, 07:38 PM
RRHobbyDepot

I've sold more replacement parts for traxxas than I have for the savage by a long shot, hence my.opinion. everyone's experiences will be different.I sell a whole lot of r/c product. If ppl come into rc and stay? That's a win.
Old 05-14-2012, 06:58 AM
LaTuFu

The Savage Flux is definitely not "hands down" more durable than the E-Revo. Both trucks have a problem with their diffs holding up to 6s power.

The ERBE will outhandle the Flux all day long. If you are going to be running in a track environment most of the time, you will be more frustrated with the Flux than the ERBE. The Flux will definitely take on longer, higher jumps a lot better than the ERBE. If you're jumping a lot, (not typical track jumps, but big air bashing session jumps) the plastic bulkheads on the ERBE are not going to take the abuse as well as the Flux chassis. But a few mods to the chassis will fix that right up.

Long story short, both trucks are far from perfect, but either one are decent trucks. Just get the one that suits you better.

And before you do, check out the Thunder Tiger MT4 G3. If you are looking at the ERBE and the Flux, this truck is definitely one you need to seriously consider. Easily handles as well as the ERBE, if not better. Will run circles around the Flux all day. Much more durable than either truck. Much, much easier than either truck to work on. Far more tuning and setup possibilities than either truck as well. Biggest negative is the limited availability in the US at the moment. Another negative is most guys like RRHobbyDepot don't carry TT replacement parts very often, so if you are used to shopping at an LHS, you'll have to rely on Tower Hobbies for replacement parts. The good news, though, is they are not needed quite as often as the ERBE and the Flux.

Almost forgot...its cheaper than both, too.
Old 05-14-2012, 07:23 AM
t9dragon
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have owned both the brushless E-Revo and the Savage Flux and never had any issues with either truck. It came down to what I liked better which was the Savage Flux. So I traded the E-Revo for another Savage Flux. You will have a great time with whatever truck you decided to get
Old 05-14-2012, 08:22 AM
yakfish
My Feedback: (27)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you considered looking at a brushless truggy? IMO the durability of a 1/8 truggy is unmatched. and the performance...well its very impressive! and if you LHS is pushing Losi them pick up a used brushless coverted 8ight-T 2.0 easily for less than the cost of a new E-Revo, and they will have the parts/upgrades you might need for it. but you won't need s many replacement parts or upgrades for it compared to a Savage or Revo.
Old 05-14-2012, 09:18 AM
pyromatic177

ORIGINAL: LaTuFu

Far more tuning and setup possibilities than either truck as well.
Dude I'll have to dissagree with you on that one. The ERBE has a TON of tuning and setup capabilities because of the fact that there's Soooo many parts that companies make for it. And even stock you can tune a lot of things on it! My setup for it right now on mine is like offroad 55/45 onroad. And it Riiiippppppssssss

Old 05-14-2012, 09:30 AM
LaTuFu

ORIGINAL: pyromatic177

Dude I'll have to dissagree with you on that one. The ERBE has a TON of tuning and setup capabilities because of the fact that there's Soooo many parts that companies make for it. And even stock you can tune a lot of things on it! My setup for it right now on mine is like offroad 55/45 onroad. And it Riiiippppppssssss
I agree with you, pyro. The ERBE is very flexible. But if I want to make big changes to my setup, I'm swapping out rockers, springs, tires, pinion and/or spur, etc. We haven't gotten to preloads and other standard suspension tweaks.

With the MT4, I can accomplish most of the setup changes we just described in the ERBE with a change in the center diff oil weight, add spring spacers, a different set of tires, and you're done. I don't need a box full of aftermarket parts to get the same results.

The thing that makes the MT4 such a versatile all around truck (and therefore a great choice for a basher) is that it can be a bashing machine comparable to any MT out there. A few minor tweaks and you have a brushless truggy like what Yakfish is recommending. More importantly, (especially if Iam now opening up the doors to considering Truggies, which can easily cost 2x what a MT4, Flux, or Revo sells for) I can get all this with one RTR kit. I don't have to buy a truck and then spend hundreds more on aftermarket parts to make it something else. Thunder Tiger has done a great job of combining the best aspects of the MT class with the best aspects of the Truggy class.

I know I sound like a ridiculous fanboy at this point. I'm really not, I will be the first to say the MT4 isn't perfect. But no truck is.

But right now the MT4 is one of the best, if not the best, values in the RC industry. It is an extremely powerful, extremely durable, very flexible platform. It doesn't need a lot of aftermarket help to make it a great vehicle.

Where else in the RC marketplace can you get all that in one box?

Old 05-14-2012, 09:40 AM
pyromatic177

In my room LOL. But i see what your talking about. if you wan't a fast tune change the revo isn't friendly to that. Honestly i don't mind it cause i normally tweak my revo when the batts are charging but i deff see where your coming from. The one thing i don't like about mine is that i have to pretty much take the shocks off to adjust them

Old 05-14-2012, 09:50 AM
LaTuFu

Don't get me wrong, the Revo and the Flux are NOT bad trucks. I just think the MT4 has earned a place in the "which truck to buy?" conversation in a very short period of time.
Old 05-14-2012, 10:44 AM
RRHobbyDepot

Mugen MBX6T or Caster F8T for the kings of durability in 1/10th or 1/8th scale.
Old 05-14-2012, 11:53 AM
t9dragon
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with you, pyro. The ERBE is very flexible. But if I want to make big changes to my setup, I'm swapping out rockers, springs, tires, pinion and/or spur, etc. We haven't gotten to preloads and other standard suspension tweaks.

With the MT4, I can accomplish most of the setup changes we just described in the ERBE with a change in the center diff oil weight, add spring spacers, a different set of tires, and you're done. I don't need a box full of aftermarket parts to get the same results.

The thing that makes the MT4 such a versatile all around truck (and therefore a great choice for a basher) is that it can be a bashing machine comparable to any MT out there. A few minor tweaks and you have a brushless truggy like what Yakfish is recommending. More importantly, (especially if I am now opening up the doors to considering Truggies, which can easily cost 2x what a MT4, Flux, or Revo sells for) I can get all this with one RTR kit. I don't have to buy a truck and then spend hundreds more on aftermarket parts to make it something else. Thunder Tiger has done a great job of combining the best aspects of the MT class with the best aspects of the Truggy class.

I know I sound like a ridiculous fanboy at this point. I'm really not, I will be the first to say the MT4 isn't perfect. But no truck is.

But right now the MT4 is one of the best, if not the best, values in the RC industry. It is an extremely powerful, extremely durable, very flexible platform. It doesn't need a lot of aftermarket help to make it a great vehicle.

For me the MT4 is out of the question because none of the LHS carry Thunder Tiger parts so everything would have to special order or from an online store.
Old 05-14-2012, 12:20 PM
LaTuFu

I'm the exact opposite.  I live one hour from the nearest hobby shops, and none of them carry any parts for my trucks anyway.  If I order through them it takes the same amount of time to for them to receive as it does if I ordered itonly now I get to add on a 2 hour round trip for my efforts.

So ordering parts from Tower Hobbies/ebay is something I have to do regardless of the vehicle I choose.
Old 05-14-2012, 04:18 PM
pyromatic177

Yeah my LHS is like 55% Traxxas,.,30% Losi,., 10% Team A,., 5% HPI,., So i picked a good brand i guess LOL
Old 05-14-2012, 07:40 PM
TheKennyKiller
Banned

Check out the E-Revo thread.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10743136/tm.htm
Old 05-16-2012, 03:19 AM
john01374

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Getting back to the original question. Savage or e-Revo.

Over the years I've owned a couple of different savages including the flux. I've also owned a standard e-revo and ERBE. After running them all pretty hard I decided to sell the savages and keep both e-Revos. The problem wasn't that the savages were bad. Yes I broke them a little more than Tge revo but my major complaint was how poorly the truck handled. Yes it's a MT but it still handled like a loaded dump truck.

The revo is a huge leap forward in handling and was easy to really make it fun. If you can afford the ERBE I would recommend you start with it. If your funds are tighter then the standard truck is a great place to start. You will want better tires in most cases and the 700HO motor conversion from kershaw is a great hop up.

Also plan on a couple of sets of lipos for decent power supply.
Old 05-16-2012, 05:26 AM
BKoz559
My Feedback: (3)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

To the OP: there are steel axles available for the Revo which I believe is a wise upgrade. Why TRX didn't include them from the start but give you batteries instead is beyond me. Otherwise its a fine RC vehicle. I also like that TCS crawlers makes the long wheelbase chassis for the Flux and even a 1/5 conversion, if you're so inclined.
Old 05-16-2012, 06:02 AM
FUBAR VXL

Ok - lets talk batteries now.

Since the E-Revo Im looking at comes with the Mambo motor - Im assuming it can handle some pretty good power.

Questions:

1)Should I use ONEor TWObatteries?
2)Does it even run on ONEbattery?
3)Do I need to buy a splitter to run TWObatteries?
4)Would 3S5000 mAh Lipo's do the trick? (Idont want to go over 3S causeI would need to get a new charger - and the E-Revo is costing me a bundle already)

Am I correct in assuming I would get around 60MPH with DUAL 3S5000 mAh Lipo's?

Thanks again for all the replies.

FUBARVXL
Rustler VXL
Slash 4x4 VXL
Old 05-16-2012, 06:54 AM
TheKennyKiller
Banned

ORIGINAL: FUBAR VXL

Ok - lets talk batteries now.

Since the E-Revo Im looking at comes with the Mambo motor - Im assuming it can handle some pretty good power.

Questions:

1) Should I use ONE or TWO batteries?
2) Does it even run on ONE battery?
3) Do I need to buy a splitter to run TWO batteries?
4) Would 3S 5000 mAh Lipo's do the trick? (I dont want to go over 3S cause I would need to get a new charger - and the E-Revo is costing me a bundle already)

Am I correct in assuming I would get around 60 MPH with DUAL 3S 5000 mAh Lipo's?

Thanks again for all the replies.

FUBAR VXL
Rustler VXL
Slash 4x4 VXL
1) Two
2) No
3) No
4) If you run two 3S batteries it means you're running the truck on 6S. 6S can be a bit brutal on the drive train and take a bit of getting used to. If I were you I would change to the supplied 54 tooth spur and find some good 2S batteries, SPC makes some good batts. You won't hit 60mph on 4S but it still has plenty of grunt.

60mph means running 6S with a 24 tooth pinion and a 54 tooth spur while monitoring your temps, your tyres will also balloon like crazy.
Old 05-16-2012, 08:52 AM
LaTuFu

I'm with Kenny on this one.

6s is a LOT of power to run through this truck without any experience with it. Start out with 4s, running the 54T pinion that comes in the parts bag. You'll be running 40-45 mph with that setup. Way more power and speed than you need starting out, especially for bashing. Go with a set of batteries like the SPC racing 8200 mAh batteries, and you can have great power, excellent punch, and outstanding run times. You can get (2) 2s batteries and (1) 3s battery, and once you get used to the truck stepping up to 5s is no big deal. It will probably be as strong as you want to run it. 6s puts a tremendous amount of strain on any MT, so do it only if you enjoy tearing the truck down often and replacing parts.

I would suggest stock Summit driveshafts as replacements, once the stock ones go out. The metal ones are overpriced and don't last any longer than the Summit shafts in my experience.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.