RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Volcano EPX Pro problem

Reply
Old 05-18-2012, 03:49 PM
  #1
4X4VolPro
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: , GA
Posts: 5
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Volcano EPX Pro problem

I've had it for about 1 month. I have 2 batteries for it. And recently...I start to go...and it suddenly stops...then spudders like it's out of power...and then it continues to do it...and then the battery dies in less than 4 minutes. Before it completely dies it gets like two full on acclerations before it completely dies.

I can give it all it's got twice...and it's dead.

My husband looked at it and he sees nothing wrong with the drivetrain.

Do i need to buy another one? Or is this a battery issue?
4X4VolPro is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 05:23 PM
  #2
The Mad Modder
 
The Mad Modder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: eastern, IL
Posts: 3,951
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Volcano EPX Pro problem

Quote:
ORIGINAL: 4X4VolPro

I've had it for about 1 month. I have 2 batteries for it. And recently...I start to go...and it suddenly stops...then spudders like it's out of power...and then it continues to do it...and then the battery dies in less than 4 minutes. Before it completely dies it gets like two full on acclerations before it completely dies.

I can give it all it's got twice...and it's dead.

My husband looked at it and he sees nothing wrong with the drivetrain.

Do i need to buy another one? Or is this a battery issue?
It sounds to me like either you have a bad battery or the battery doesn't have a high enough mah rating to supply the amount of power the motor needs.
The Mad Modder is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 06:17 PM
  #3
4X4VolPro
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: , GA
Posts: 5
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Volcano EPX Pro problem

2200 mah
and the other one I got is 3000mah
1 came with my truck...the didn't.

Quote:
ORIGINAL: The Mad Modder

Quote:
ORIGINAL: 4X4VolPro

I've had it for about 1 month. I have 2 batteries for it. And recently...I start to go...and it suddenly stops...then spudders like it's out of power...and then it continues to do it...and then the battery dies in less than 4 minutes. Before it completely dies it gets like two full on acclerations before it completely dies.

I can give it all it's got twice...and it's dead.

My husband looked at it and he sees nothing wrong with the drivetrain.

Do i need to buy another one? Or is this a battery issue?
It sounds to me like either you have a bad battery or the battery doesn't have a high enough mah rating to supply the amount of power the motor needs.
4X4VolPro is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 09:13 PM
  #4
phmaximus
 
phmaximus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Adelaide, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 6,647
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Volcano EPX Pro problem

do u have a friend to test it on a lipo?
phmaximus is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 03:51 AM
  #5
4X4VolPro
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: , GA
Posts: 5
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Volcano EPX Pro problem

nope
4X4VolPro is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 04:56 AM
  #6
The Mad Modder
 
The Mad Modder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: eastern, IL
Posts: 3,951
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Volcano EPX Pro problem

Quote:
ORIGINAL: phmaximus

do u have a friend to test it on a lipo?
That brings up another possibility. The esc(electronic speed control) may be set up for lipo type batteries instead of nimh and nicad batteries. Nimh and nicad batteries drop to a lower voltage than lipos when they are under load. This may have activated the low voltage cutoff the esc has while in lipo mode. I would check your manual and make sure the esc isn't set for lipos.
The Mad Modder is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 08:55 AM
  #7
nitrosportsandrunner
 
nitrosportsandrunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: skowhegan, ME
Posts: 9,502
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Volcano EPX Pro problem

it sounds like the ESC is going into lipo cutoff mode.

You can buy a 5000mah nimh battery from redcat...or a redcat dealer.

But your best option would be to buy a lipo battery. They are so much better than nimh its not even funny.

A good 2s 5000mah pack and a thunder AC6 lipo charger on hobbypartz.com will cost you about $75 shipped.

A 2s 5000mah lipo will ad 5mph to the top speed...as well as acceleration. And you will get 25-35 minutes of runtime!
nitrosportsandrunner is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 05:23 AM
  #8
john01374
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: ABC WORLD, IL
Posts: 2,550
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Volcano EPX Pro problem

The stock batteries are junk. The novatech esc and motor have the ability to pull a lot of amps and low end NiMh packs can't deliver the required power.

Get yourself a 5000mah 2S lipo and a decent charger. Both can be had for under a $100 total. The redcat cars are not bad but the stock batteries, charger and radios are not the best.
john01374 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:15 AM.