Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Smoking mamba monster ESC

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 03:47 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Smoking mamba monster ESC

ORIGINAL: phmaximus

So what's better, say u have 2 different pinions and spur gears that when combined have the same gear ratio.
What's better more rpm or less rpm?

Wouldn't a higher rpm produce less force on the gears and in turn lower the current draw? With the same preformance?
It;s not that simple, it has to do with electrical physics and strange physical effects such as ripple and pushback. I'm not convinced either, but I can see why 8/64 would probably be worse for the equipment than say 13/45. Such a lack of load may cause the motor to do strange things. I'm not sure I'll fully believe it til I see it (that less load can cause more heat). I'm not so concerned about the why, as to find out what is actually effective under a given set of circumstances.

As for your question about different spur/pinion combinations that total the same ratio, there is no difference whatsoever.
Old 06-12-2012, 04:51 AM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Off course, I over thought it and had a brain fart,

Both gear sets would have the same motor RPM at a given speed...

Guess the only reason we can change the spur gear on most Rc cars is because of clearance issues with big pinions and big spurs.
Old 06-12-2012, 09:06 AM
LaTuFu
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Th 18/54 gearing is the Traxxas recommended gearing setup for 4s LiPo.  I've been running it with 4s and 5s, and never have any heat issues.  110-120 Farenheit at the most.  The ESC stays below 100.  Top speed on Trencher X's has been approx 42 mph on 4s.  I haven't measured it yet on 5s because I've been too lazy.

I have no complaints.  The area where I run I don't have enough room to open it up for very long on 4s or 5s, so 6s would be a complete waste of time and money.  Plus I get reasonable durability out of the ERBE on 4s and 5s.
Old 06-12-2012, 01:56 PM
d4ns

Castle have replied. It may be of interest to you guys so here it is:
' Daniel,
First thing is yes if the ESC is smoking then it is game over for that. As for why it started smoking I notice a couple things, first your gearing is very aggressive. Also your batteries are a little on the low side. We recommend a minimum of 5000mAh or higher and a 35c or higher. You can still send in the ESC to the repair dept. and for $70.00USD we will send you out a new one. '
Think i will be returning it, depending on postage costs to US. Quite surprised they have offered. They havent mentioned the heat from the coating surprisingly.
Old 06-12-2012, 02:23 PM
ElectricGuy007

ORIGINAL: d4ns

Hi, had a few problems getting this car running but after going back to 1.24 firmware all was good. However...

The ESC is now smoking between the red and white motor wires. I have sent castle a message, so will be interesting to hear why. Unfortunately i waterproofed the board so no warranty for me, even though it was a couple of weeks old.

Spec is:
The motor is the combo 2200KV 1515
6S Turnigy Lipo 5000mAh 25-35C
22T pinion and 63T spur gear
CC BEC

Anybody have any ideas as to why? Or if its easily fixable myself?

Should i try something different as ive only had problems with castle stuff so far. I mean using a combo and having to go back to really old firmware is pretty poor in itself.

Daniel

So let me guess You Waterproofed your esc and it started smoking? Many above said it right, it's smoking because of your waterproofing method.

Personally I wouldnt try to waterproof anything brushless, just buy the traxxas Veleion system if you want a waterproof R/C,
They are cheap I mean $159 on tower is not bad. And you can run it in water. And buy a traxxas blue servo, and waterproof your reciever.
Im waterproofing as well, but im doing it with brushed motors because like they are they are water proof. Most Brushless motors are not water proof.
Old 06-13-2012, 01:35 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: ElectricGuy007

ORIGINAL: d4ns

Hi, had a few problems getting this car running but after going back to 1.24 firmware all was good. However...

The ESC is now smoking between the red and white motor wires. I have sent castle a message, so will be interesting to hear why. Unfortunately i waterproofed the board so no warranty for me, even though it was a couple of weeks old.

Spec is:
The motor is the combo 2200KV 1515
6S Turnigy Lipo 5000mAh 25-35C
22T pinion and 63T spur gear
CC BEC

Anybody have any ideas as to why? Or if its easily fixable myself?

Should i try something different as ive only had problems with castle stuff so far. I mean using a combo and having to go back to really old firmware is pretty poor in itself.

Daniel

So let me guess You Waterproofed your esc and it started smoking? Many above said it right, it's smoking because of your waterproofing method.

Personally I wouldnt try to waterproof anything brushless, just buy the traxxas Veleion system if you want a waterproof R/C,
They are cheap I mean $159 on tower is not bad. And you can run it in water. And buy a traxxas blue servo, and waterproof your reciever.
Im waterproofing as well, but im doing it with brushed motors because like they are they are water proof. Most Brushless motors are not water proof.
Unfortunately, none of that equipment is sufficient for the application, unless traxxas have just started making a 1/8th Velineon set and 250oz-in blue servos.