Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Com Cutting!!!!

Old 09-02-2003, 10:34 PM
T3Guy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Com Cutting!!!!

Ok guys I was wondering how often do you think I would have to cut the com on a Magnetic Mayhem. I would just be bashing. And I was also wonderinghow much would a good lathe run me, I dont need anything fancy.
Old 09-03-2003, 12:37 AM
bigfin

Default Com Cutting!!!!

You can get a good lathe and carbide bit for about 150$. If you are just bashing, I would clean the com with a com stick avery 4 runs or so and cut it when it starts to get grooves in it that the stick won't take out. Unless you are trying to get max HP you really don't need to cut it unless it needs to be trued.
Old 09-03-2003, 06:37 PM
kn7671

Default Com Cutting!!!!

You would be surprised to see how long you can go without having to cut the com as long as you maintain your motors. What I mean by this is taking them apart about every 5-8 runs/batteries and cleaning the com, brushes, bearings, etc... I use a com stick to do mild cleaning, and occasionally take a scotch brite pad to the com. I do this very lightly by wrapping the scotch brite loosely around the com, then spinning the rotor by hand. This will remove very little material from the com and keep the com clean. It also allows a better visual of the com surface once you have it all cleaned off. Replace your brushes about every 15-20, or sooner depending on usage and softness of brushes, runs and your motors will wear out bearings before the rotor needs replacing.
Old 09-03-2003, 06:41 PM
T3Guy

Default Com Cutting!!!!

You dont have to do this much work with a brushless set up do you?
Old 09-03-2003, 11:31 PM
kn7671

Default Com Cutting!!!!

Of Course not. With a brushless system you just need to keep the motor clean of dirt, no brush's, com's, or springs to worry about anymore.

Cleaning the motor every 12 runs or so is still recommended to extend the life of the bearings in high dust/dirt situations, probably 25 runs for street running. Cleaning interval is a personal preference, some will clean parts very often, but some people will just run it until it quits with no maintenance ever done, then just replace it. The companies making the products that are constant wearing items just love that type of customer.

You will most likely still have to replace the bearings at some point in the life of the motor, but just like anything else mechanical, preventive maintenance is the key to a longer life cycle.
Old 09-03-2003, 11:42 PM
T3Guy

Default Com Cutting!!!!

I was wondering if you think the drivetrain of the WD could handle it. If I get a brushless motor do I have to get an esc made for brushless motors?
Old 09-04-2003, 05:56 PM
Bigpimphustler

Default Com Cutting!!!!

Man.. surprised by how much bad information runs through these boards!

Your motor can run many many times before it needs to be cleaned... but you dont want to! You should clean your comm and the faces of your brushes after every run. Even if you are just bashing. It only takes a couple minutes. Don't forget to re-oil your bushings/bearings.

I am a heavy competator, (i understand you just bash) and my comms are cut every 3 runs, and brushes are replaced every 15 runs or so. But after every 5minute race, the entire motor comes apart, the comm and brushes are cleaned to a mirrior finish, the can and bell are sprayed out, the shafts are polished with metal polish, the bushing are reoiled, and the can is put back together... every 5 minutes.

So, the more performance you want, the more you need to do. you COULD cut your comm and change your brushes every run, but that is the most extreme.

My advice for you, is to clean your comm and brushes every run. Cut your comm and change your brushes every 15-20 runs.
Old 09-04-2003, 06:45 PM
T3Guy

Default Com Cutting!!!!

Thanks, that helps alot. Good luck in your next races.
Old 09-04-2003, 07:01 PM
T3Guy

Default Com Cutting!!!!

Is there any other way to cut the com besides a lathe?Because I really dont feel like spending $150 for one.
Old 09-04-2003, 07:10 PM
Bigpimphustler

Default Com Cutting!!!!

Because you are only a frontyard basher, and it only needs to be cut every 10-15-20 runs, most local hobby shops will cut it for you for like 5$.

That, or attend a local race in your town, and most serious racers will do the same.
Old 09-04-2003, 07:11 PM
T3Guy

Default Com Cutting!!!!

Oh ok thanks
Old 09-04-2003, 07:12 PM
T3Guy

Default Com Cutting!!!!

I was thinking about getting another stadium truck or buggy and start racing.
Old 09-04-2003, 07:15 PM
Bigpimphustler

Default Com Cutting!!!!

I can backyard bash with an offroad car, or an onroad car, for a WEEK strait.. and added all up together dont equal the fun and excitment of one single 4 or 5 minute race at racetrack.

If you aren't racing, you aren't RCing.
Old 09-04-2003, 07:18 PM
T3Guy

Default Com Cutting!!!!

What do you race?
Old 09-04-2003, 07:30 PM
Bigpimphustler

Default Com Cutting!!!!

A Schumacher Mission Carbon.
Old 09-04-2003, 07:32 PM
T3Guy

Default Com Cutting!!!!

Thats cool!! Do you think the wild dagger would be raceable with a couple 15T's?
Old 09-04-2003, 08:08 PM
Bigpimphustler

Default Com Cutting!!!!

a what? are you looking at onroad touring car racing? Onroad pancar racing? or some kind of off-road racing?
Old 09-04-2003, 08:26 PM
T3Guy

Default Com Cutting!!!!

Wild Dagger is a 4WD truck made by Tamiya. I would be offroad racing.
Old 09-04-2003, 08:35 PM
Bigpimphustler

Default Com Cutting!!!!

If there is a 4wd truck class at your local track then you COULD race it, but it really isn't a competative truck. If you want to be competative, go to your local track, and ask the locals what class they run, what car/trucks they run, what is the most popular, and which class has the most participation ... and then make your purchase.

the Schumacher MIssion is 1/10th scale on-road touring car.
Old 09-04-2003, 09:58 PM
T3Guy

Default Com Cutting!!!!

I have a T3 but im trading it for a wild dagger. I know they have a monster truck class so I might lower the truck a little bit and put some step pins all the way around. But I would just do it to mess around and meet some people. I was thinking about getting a m-troniks esc and putting 2 11 turns in it. Then the battery would only last 5mins.
Old 09-04-2003, 10:10 PM
Bigpimphustler

Default Com Cutting!!!!

id keep the t3
Old 09-04-2003, 10:37 PM
T3Guy

Default Com Cutting!!!!

If I want another one Ill get another one but I bash most of the time and Im ready for something new. The T3 is a cool truck but I want a 4wd.