Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Ofna Jammin CRT.5 Electric Conversion - what do I need?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 06:20 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Ofna Jammin CRT.5 Electric Conversion - what do I need?

ORIGINAL: Eman77

Hmm, I guess so. No way to lower the body posts, or mount the body lower?

Interestingly, futureboy's bodyshell looks like it's not as high up as others I've seen. Maybe it's the angle...? Dunno. Still a cool truggy. Maybe it's the giant gap under the front wheel wells that are throwing me. [&:]
its about the same as mine which is approx 1cm or so gap nothing huge I've seen trucks that had like more than that.

and no way to lower it from what I seen the shock tower is RIGHT under the rear body shells bumps (why the illuzion shell won't work)
Old 07-05-2012, 06:23 AM
Eman77

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ah well, no worries. It's not like that would stop me from getting it anyway.
Old 07-05-2012, 08:06 AM
Brainanator
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM
Other one I slapped the CNC hubs, and knuckles on right out of the box, and had no issues with it. Might just be me, but I've not had much luck with plastic c-hubs, and knuckles on RC's I've owned. They are usually the 1st part I break
Totally agree, I went through 4 plastic knuckles on this thing in one day. Couldn't figure out what the heck was going on. Servo saver felt really nice, but the knuckles would bust on even small crashes that I would have thought couldn't hurt a fly.

I've still got a couple plastic knuckles left (don't drive it much anymore), and if I go through these I'll be getting the STRC ones for sure.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:09 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: Brainanator

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM
Other one I slapped the CNC hubs, and knuckles on right out of the box, and had no issues with it. Might just be me, but I've not had much luck with plastic c-hubs, and knuckles on RC's I've owned. They are usually the 1st part I break
Totally agree, I went through 4 plastic knuckles on this thing in one day. Couldn't figure out what the heck was going on. Servo saver felt really nice, but the knuckles would bust on even small crashes that I would have thought couldn't hurt a fly.

I've still got a couple plastic knuckles left (don't drive it much anymore), and if I go through these I'll be getting the STRC ones for sure.
woo someone other than me had issues I remember when I said it after I got the other ppl that owned them on the forums at the time all thought I was insane, and driving it into brick walls at full throttle
Old 07-05-2012, 12:49 PM
Eman77

So I was thinking about this some more.

The Jammin.5 CRT is $80, plus some conversion parts you need (tray, pinion, mount), so that comes to about $120, give or take a few.

By comparison, the Mini STe is $170, but you don't need a mount/trays/pinion, it comes with that. So for $50 more, is it any better than the Jammin .5? Anyone have any ideas if one is much better/worse than the other? I have no idea how old one is vs. the other, parts support, things like that. I'm in the dark on Ofna (although I know the .5 has solid parts support due to the SCRT).

Are they both about the same size? (I think both are 1/12).

Again, for me, I'd just be bashing around the street/dirt/gravel/anywhere fun.

Thoughts? Thanks!
Old 07-07-2012, 07:58 PM
Brainanator

Can't comment on the Mini STe.

I do know however, that on any kind of gravel with the stock wheels I rocks rocks stuck between the wheels and axle carrier all the time. It locks the wheel and I do a very tight circle. I have to give it a second of reverse to dislodge the rock, then I'm good to go for another 3-5 mins before another rock jams up the wheel.
The thing is awesome on dirt, gravel has that little hiccup.

you might be spending a little more than 40 to convert it. The motor mount alone is like 25 or something I think. Then the parts trees for the SCRT10 come with stuff you don't need for the crt.5. Make a comprehensive list of prices and see exactly what it comes to if price is a major concern. I bet the crt.5 will be cheaper, but not by much.
Old 07-08-2012, 05:31 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: Brainanator

Can't comment on the Mini STe.

I do know however, that on any kind of gravel with the stock wheels I rocks rocks stuck between the wheels and axle carrier all the time. It locks the wheel and I do a very tight circle. I have to give it a second of reverse to dislodge the rock, then I'm good to go for another 3-5 mins before another rock jams up the wheel.
The thing is awesome on dirt, gravel has that little hiccup.

you might be spending a little more than 40 to convert it. The motor mount alone is like 25 or something I think. Then the parts trees for the SCRT10 come with stuff you don't need for the crt.5. Make a comprehensive list of prices and see exactly what it comes to if price is a major concern. I bet the crt.5 will be cheaper, but not by much.
weird I think I spent like $30 on it seeing its 1 parts tree, and a motor mount ($21 on tower)
ohh yea the parts tree also has the servo mount on it. As for unused parts yea there are a few.

ditto on not being able to say anything about the STE I haven't read much on that period.

besides dirt I find its pretty damn awsome on paved roads, and works damn well on grass. No gravel really by me so can't comment on that, but it probably similar to how rocks get stuck in the X1 crt's wheels cause they are the same style just downsized.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:02 AM
Eman77

Looks like there are a lot fewer parts for the STe at a glance. CRT it is. I gotta git me one.
Old 07-09-2012, 04:41 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

I'll say one nice thing no matter how bad you screw up the .5 CRT the most it will cost you to repair is $79

Unlike certain RC's that I've spent more than that in just replacing 2 diffs
Old 07-09-2012, 06:51 PM
Eman77

Hehe, no doubt man. Were the chassis holes hard to drill for the battery tray? I don't have a drill press, but a buddy does, so I might have him do that.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:01 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

I did mine with a 45+ year old hand held electric drill, and 2 different metal bits. 1 for the hole, and I used one to make the counter sink so the screws flush after the 1st hole was drilled.
I took the battery tray and marked the holes in a piece of paper as a template, and used that to line it up.
Compared to the other things I've done (most things I use the same drill) it was a easy
Old 07-11-2012, 07:18 AM
Brainanator

used a cheap underpowered black and decker hand drill here. I did buy a counter sink bit though, didn't have a plain larger bit to counter sink with at the time. It was easy enough.
Old 07-11-2012, 07:23 AM
Eman77

That's good to hear. I have a hand drill and a vice, I'll make it work.
Old 07-11-2012, 07:25 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: Eman77

That's good to hear. I have a hand drill and a vice, I'll make it work.
wow you will use a vice.
I held it in my bare hand
Old 07-11-2012, 08:11 AM
Eman77

I'm fancy that way.
Old 07-14-2012, 07:05 AM
Brainanator

What is this fancy "vice" tool?! I just held it with my knees while I drilled the chassis...haha
Old 08-22-2012, 09:30 AM
Eman77

Finally got around to ordering the parts for this - went with a 14T pinion for now, I can always get some different ones later as needed (14 seems good middle of the road, and at $12 a pop, I didn't want to get a bunch right away).

No electronics yet, I'll have to get to that later.