Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

My take on Traxxas

Old 07-05-2012, 12:36 PM
TheKennyKiller
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: My take on Traxxas

ORIGINAL: Foxy

If you're looking for a brand that is resting on its laurels, a better example would be Mercedes.
Don't get me started.
Old 07-05-2012, 12:45 PM
LaTuFu
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: t9dragon

ORIGINAL: LaTuFu

The one thing that Traxxas has that no other manufacturer has is excellent customer service. There are no other companies in the industry that provide the support that they do. Web or phone, it is on the money. They also have a repair service that is quick and reasonably priced.
I would have to disagree with you on that. HPI has just as good a customer service as Traxxas.
HPI support is pretty solid, but it is not in the same league as Traxxas. HPI support is a 800 number that operates during normal business hours, Monday-Friday. No company supported forum. Limited web based support. Granted, it is MUCH better than most other manufacturers out there, and the support people are helpfulbut it is not the same level as Traxxas.

Traxxas support hours are until 9:00 PM CST, they have web based support, forum support, etc.

Foxy nailed it on the head in his post. Traxxas doesn't make a really bad car. They just make a car that caters to beginners. The extra price you're paying is for the support on the back end. Once you "grow up"a little bit in the hobby and no longer need the back end support, other manufacturers suddenly show a lot of value.

Old 07-05-2012, 02:22 PM
pyromatic177

Well yeah Traxxas is like that but i still like it. But i'm trying other things just to see 
Old 07-05-2012, 07:21 PM
jamie
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: Eman77

It's interesting to me to see folks complain about Traxxas prices now. It seemed that not long ago folks liked their pricing, getting a good about of stuff in an RTR package for a reasonable price. Have their prices gone up, or are competitors just offering better packages/prices that used to be more expensive?

Last Traxxas I bought was a 2WD Stampede, and I thought the price was decent at the time, for what I got.
little from column A, and a little from column B
the Stampede XL-5 is now $239.97 (taken from tower as I do this post)
it used to be $175 a few years back...
For a design that nothing dramatic has changed in over 14years IMO that is a pretty expensive product.

Compare that to say the Ruckus at $150 (price off horizon hobbies, yes they went up a tad too, but nowhere near as high as traxxas raised prices)
what value are you getting for $90 more? a battery that has 1100 more mAh?

Then there's the slash 2wd at $272 vs the ECX torment $169
or the Rustler at $214 vs the ECX Circuit at $129, or the evader at $120 (hell the BL evader is $35 more than the brushed rustler with a 2.4ghz radio)

For those being base entry level RC's their prices no longer reflect that, and bring them into the price range of the better RC's that require less modifications to bring them up to par. Now if they even included a 2.4ghz radio to reflect some of the increase that might even be ok, but you get literally the same exact package (AM radio, 3300 NiMh battery, same charger, and same exact truck, and shoddy motor) that they been selling for years at almost $100 markup in most cases now.
and all these cheaper company's is there any customer service? prob not . traxxas has the best !!!
Old 07-05-2012, 07:27 PM
jamie

ORIGINAL: thehuntingterminator

ORIGINAL: phmaximus

come on bud, thats not what he ment, I found it very easy to interpret.

He is saying... in dot points
-Tamiya really won't replace stuff unless it's defective
-His fault it came loose
-Axial has very good customer service
-Axial Sometimes replaces non defective parts
-Then his personal thoughts on Traxxas and Apple

U would be supprised what Losi replace, and what they fix. Even take a look at non related RC manifactures. My HDD failed in my laptop, they picked up my laptop fixed it and droped it off. Do i think HP make the best computers? NO, did i like there customer service? YES, will I reccomend them? YES, will I buy another HP laptop? YES
Had the exact same problem 2 weeks later, was I happy? NO, Did they provide the same great service? YES, Did they go over and above to make it right? Yes they express posted a brand new wireless optic mouse and there manager appoligised and said if I have the same problem again I get a brand New Laptop to replace my 11 month old one.

Customer service is what gets people talking about products, the more people that talk positivly about a product the more it sells.

Traxxas is a leader on marketing. I sugest u guys read up on marketing if u doubt there stratigies.

Take BMW for example, they break down just as much as anyother car, and trust me they have recalls to. Like Traxxas u are paying for the brand name & service...

another one, do u think a ADIDAS or Nike tshirt is any better than a $5 on from the mall??? No its not, but they still sell like hotcakes

We can post about this all day , but there is alot 99% of us dont know about the consumers and marketing
There is a world of difference between the 100 buck fcuk/paul smith/etc t-shirts and the $5 ones. In terms of the way they fit and the materials used. Jus sayin, that particular one's a bad example. BMWs...I wouldn;t say break down as much as any other car, but Jap cars are better still. If you're looking for a brand that is resting on its laurels, a better example would be Mercedes.
dunno about that my sisters Toyota has been in the shop way more than my chevy... and my chevy has been owned by me like 2 years longer [&:]
same with other people that I know owned japanese cars. one guy I knew his Hoda (civic... he wanted to be a ricer) was in the shop weekly vs my old oldsmobile I had at the time only needing a mechanic 2X in 3 years of ownership (had to break the parking break off, and other was replace the brake lines) He then got another japanese car same thing again till he went chevy and its had no issues [&:] Come to think of it my old plymouth acclaim was more reliable (till the state blew the motor on an emissions test...) than the japanese cars ppl Ive known owned.

As much as I love products that come out of japan their cars are something I'd never own.
Huh, your experience has been the exact opposite of mine. Currently I drive a '01 Toyota Tacoma 4wd and it has just over 306K miles, and runs great. Never had any major issues either.
and we had a 04 ford van with well over 300k no issues.
Old 07-05-2012, 07:32 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: jamie

ORIGINAL: Eman77

It's interesting to me to see folks complain about Traxxas prices now. It seemed that not long ago folks liked their pricing, getting a good about of stuff in an RTR package for a reasonable price. Have their prices gone up, or are competitors just offering better packages/prices that used to be more expensive?

Last Traxxas I bought was a 2WD Stampede, and I thought the price was decent at the time, for what I got.
little from column A, and a little from column B
the Stampede XL-5 is now $239.97 (taken from tower as I do this post)
it used to be $175 a few years back...
For a design that nothing dramatic has changed in over 14years IMO that is a pretty expensive product.

Compare that to say the Ruckus at $150 (price off horizon hobbies, yes they went up a tad too, but nowhere near as high as traxxas raised prices)
what value are you getting for $90 more? a battery that has 1100 more mAh?

Then there's the slash 2wd at $272 vs the ECX torment $169
or the Rustler at $214 vs the ECX Circuit at $129, or the evader at $120 (hell the BL evader is $35 more than the brushed rustler with a 2.4ghz radio)

For those being base entry level RC's their prices no longer reflect that, and bring them into the price range of the better RC's that require less modifications to bring them up to par. Now if they even included a 2.4ghz radio to reflect some of the increase that might even be ok, but you get literally the same exact package (AM radio, 3300 NiMh battery, same charger, and same exact truck, and shoddy motor) that they been selling for years at almost $100 markup in most cases now.
and all these cheaper company's is there any customer service? prob not . traxxas has the best !!!
duratrax there is they have a break a part they send you a new one for a year http://www.duratrax.com/techsupport/stress-tech.html
and ECX is owned by horizon(who also owns Losi) so I imagine there is some customer support http://www.ecxrc.com/Products/Defaul...ProdID=ECX4000 their warranty is at the bottom sounds like most companies which is basically you don't know how to drive don't call us which is one I completely agree with.

Note I never mentioned Exceed who are notorius for being cheap POS's with the worst customer support in the industry. Redcat is also a cheap company bt they have decent support from my understandings.
Old 07-05-2012, 07:37 PM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

this thread is just silly now... moving on..
Old 07-06-2012, 08:41 AM
lilbrett

I agree that Traxxas has gone a little too high on their prices, it seems as though they have increased the prices after they started sponsoring more motor sports and put their name out. I haven't had any major issues with my Traxxas rigs and I've purchased every one used, as long as you get a decent deal used is the way to go. My Nitro Rustler has the basic RPM upgrades and I can launch it over my head and knock out back flips all day, with this the only thing I'm having issues with are the stock shocks blowing caps or bending shafts if I land wrong. I agree that Traxxas is awesome and for the most part will stand behind their products, I fried the ESC on my Bandit VXL and with the "warranty" program that they have I can send my non-waterproof VXL system and get a new waterproof version for $95 shipped. I have also had great experience with Losi/Horizon, when I bought my LST XXL (my only brand new rig), it had a dead shifter servo and Losi sent one out right away no questions asked and they didn't make me send the old on in first like some companies do. After running the truck for about 2 months I broke the pull cord on the combo starter, I called them up just to see if they had any suggestions to help being as the pull start is known to be weak and they sent me a new one.Just an example ofthe prices,(coming from Horizon'ssite)a Revo 3.3 is $648.99 ($619.99 from Tower)and a LST XXL is $669.99 so for $21-$50 more you get a 1/8 scale MT with a big block and a better radio. Traxxas keeps bumping their prices up and they aren't really adding much to the rigs, I haven't heard too much about their new TQi setups but I don't like their last setup with the led menu tree.
Old 07-06-2012, 08:46 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: lilbrett

I agree that Traxxas has gone a little too high on their prices, it seems as though they have increased the prices after they started sponsoring more motor sports and put their name out. I haven't had any major issues with my Traxxas rigs and I've purchased every one used, as long as you get a decent deal used is the way to go. My Nitro Rustler has the basic RPM upgrades and I can launch it over my head and knock out back flips all day, with this the only thing I'm having issues with are the stock shocks blowing caps or bending shafts if I land wrong. I agree that Traxxas is awesome and for the most part will stand behind their products, I fried the ESC on my Bandit VXL and with the ''warranty'' program that they have I can send my non-waterproof VXL system and get a new waterproof version for $95 shipped. I have also had great experience with Losi/Horizon, when I bought my LST XXL (my only brand new rig), it had a dead shifter servo and Losi sent one out right away no questions asked and they didn't make me send the old on in first like some companies do. After running the truck for about 2 months I broke the pull cord on the combo starter, I called them up just to see if they had any suggestions to help being as the pull start is known to be weak and they sent me a new one. Just an example of the prices, (coming from Horizon's site) a Revo 3.3 is $648.99 ($619.99 from Tower) and a LST XXL is $669.99 so for $21-$50 more you get a 1/8 scale MT with a big block and a better radio. Traxxas keeps bumping their prices up and they aren't really adding much to the rigs, I haven't heard too much about their new TQi setups but I don't like their last setup with the led menu tree.
that's a great deal... for traxxas
FYI on ebay they go for $85 new the traxxas upgrade program is a royal ripoff
That's not a bash against traxxas all of the companies that offer similar programs rip off the consumer, and are not deals. They seem to be made to rip off the unknowing

But yea their 1/10th scales are now past the price point of some 1/8ths. Example the 2wd BL slash is past the point of the 4wd RTR ofna LX2e for example...
If you buy them 2nd hand and get a deal yea they aren't that bad, but new is killer.
Old 07-06-2012, 09:11 AM
lilbrett

ORIGINAL: lilbrett

I agree that Traxxas has gone a little too high on their prices, it seems as though they have increased the prices after they started sponsoring more motor sports and put their name out. I haven't had any major issues with my Traxxas rigs and I've purchased every one used, as long as you get a decent deal used is the way to go. My Nitro Rustler has the basic RPM upgrades and I can launch it over my head and knock out back flips all day, with this the only thing I'm having issues with are the stock shocks blowing caps or bending shafts if I land wrong. I agree that Traxxas is awesome and for the most part will stand behind their products, I fried the ESC on my Bandit VXL and with the ''warranty'' program that they have I can send my non-waterproof VXL system and get a new waterproof version for $95 shipped. I have also had great experience with Losi/Horizon, when I bought my LST XXL (my only brand new rig), it had a dead shifter servo and Losi sent one out right away no questions asked and they didn't make me send the old on in first like some companies do. After running the truck for about 2 months I broke the pull cord on the combo starter, I called them up just to see if they had any suggestions to help being as the pull start is known to be weak and they sent me a new one.Just an example ofthe prices,(coming from Horizon'ssite)a Revo 3.3 is $648.99 ($619.99 from Tower)and a LST XXL is $669.99 so for $21-$50 more you get a 1/8 scale MT with a big block and a better radio. Traxxas keeps bumping their prices up and they aren't really adding much to the rigs, I haven't heard too much about their new TQi setups but I don't like their last setup with the led menu tree.
that's a great deal... for traxxas
FYI on ebay they go for $85 new the traxxas upgrade program is a royal ripoff
That's not a bash against traxxas all of the companies that offer similar programs rip off the consumer, and are not deals. They seem to be made to rip off the unknowing

But yea their 1/10th scales are now past the price point of some 1/8ths. Example the 2wd BL slash is past the point of the 4wd RTR ofna LX2e for example...
If you buy them 2nd hand and get a deal yea they aren't that bad, but new is killer.
The ESCs go for $85 but I'm getting both the ESC and Motor for $95. I do agree that their Trade Up program on the Nitro engines is a rip off, unless you engine is COMPLETELY destroyed or you are going to a different one, I think it's better to keep the old one and have spare parts (block, carb, cooling head).
Old 07-06-2012, 04:18 PM
The_Shark

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: thehuntingterminator
Huh, your experience has been the exact opposite of mine. Currently I drive a '01 Toyota Tacoma 4wd and it has just over 306K miles, and runs great. Never had any major issues either.
Again why I'm guessing it has more to do with road, and climate conditions than the car.

Lets face it I live in a city where 1 the roads are complete crap to drive down due to the city never fixing them(or tearing them up, and not doing anything to them for MONTHS). And when they do come out they put gigantic speed bump in the already torn up streets that if you hit them going 5 mph you will destroy your car. Other is the climate I've seen hit -20f in winter to 102f(what it is right now) in summer... so combine that with horrendous roads, tons of salt (to melt the ice), and other crap.

Also that was based on MY observations of the cars that I've owned, and known owners of.
illinois does hellish things to cars!!!
Old 07-29-2012, 03:40 PM
erevoBE

IMO i really hnestly think Traxxas is the GREATEST Rc MANUFACTURER OUT THERE ATM, all the points he listed are absolutely true, but as the other guy said the plastic is sometimes considered to be greater than the steel as in terms of the driveshafts where it might be better to buy the plastic each time than the steel>
Old 07-29-2012, 03:44 PM
Foxy

ORIGINAL: erevoBE

IMO i really hnestly think Traxxas is the GREATEST Rc MANUFACTURER OUT THERE ATM, all the points he listed are absolutely true, but as the other guy said the plastic is sometimes considered to be greater than the steel as in terms of the driveshafts where it might be better to buy the plastic each time than the steel>
Hi there, welcome to RCU. Just wondering what other brands have you tried apart from traxxas?
Old 07-29-2012, 05:00 PM
proanti1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi there, welcome to RCU. Just wondering what other brands have you tried apart from traxxas?
I sounded just like that when I got a Nitro Stampede for my 14th birthday, 10 years ago.
Old 07-30-2012, 08:52 AM
The Collector1

I think Traxxas vehicles are junk, I cant stand them, the trash they make is unbelievable. LOL

I currently own a NRustler 3.3, Tmaxx 2.5, 4Tec 3,3, and a Slash 4x4. Still looking into an ERevo.
Old 07-30-2012, 09:49 AM
pyromatic177

I have an E-revo. Real cool truck. Haven't had too many probs with it. But i'm afraid to do anything stupid with it cause it will probly break LOL
Old 07-30-2012, 10:26 AM
TheKennyKiller
Banned

Driveshafts made of glass and diffs that break like toffee, who need em!!! LOL

Traxxas ring gears going through the hardening process.

Old 07-30-2012, 11:11 AM
motorhead91

I've owned a few Traxxas vehicles, and after owning HPI and AE I'll never go back.
Old 07-30-2012, 12:10 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: proanti1

I sounded just like that when I got a Nitro Stampede for my 14th birthday, 10 years ago.
I think most people sound like that when they get their 1st RC or so.
I've seen people sound like that who bought redcats (till 2 months later when their repair bills were half the cost of the RC )
Old 08-01-2012, 07:46 AM
LaTuFu
My Feedback: (1)

Let us know if you still feel that way a year from now, when your traxxas is one year old, and you've had to repair those plastic shafts 4-5 times.

And if you buy another brand of vehicle, drive it the same way, over the same terrain, and experience fewer breakages, let us know that, too.

Welcome to RCU.

Old 08-02-2012, 10:28 AM
bernechad

I'm wanting to get into racing sct's and according to this thread, I should avoid the beginner stock slash class at the local track because traxxas sucks?

Well then, I pose this question: What truck would you recommend that comes rtr, for the same price as the slash, that would let me be competitive in a mod class?

Old 08-02-2012, 11:32 AM
pyromatic177

Well if you talking about the price of the Slash Ultimate then this is around the same price losi.com/Products/Default.aspx
And Jang reviwed this truck and he really liked it!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIOgXowr_BA&feature=plcp
Old 08-02-2012, 05:18 PM
geo950

My first RC was a Traxxas Rustler, I loved it. I thought it was a really reasonable price and it was very durable. Only problem I had with it was the ESC.
Old 08-02-2012, 05:43 PM
SillyWillie-Buh!

No matter what brand of rc you drive, what brand you are faithful to, as long as you're having fun that's all that matters!
Old 08-02-2012, 09:15 PM
The_Shark

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

uh... no.
they do the best business in the world, but I can assure you they are one small step ahead of redcat (sometimes behind) in terms of quality I will give them they do have outstanding customer service which you will need when the esc blows up, the RX fails to bind out of the box or the con rod snaps during break-in.

their stuff is also very over complicated, not exactly beginner friendly.

There is literally nothing I would want from traxxas today, even if you gave it to me.

every company has their niche, traxxas's is customer service and parts support, thats it.

if anyone has owned a associated, losi, ofna or -some- hpi, they would know that traxxas doesn't stack up.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.