Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Summit Coming- Upgrades?

I've got a new Summit coming and was wondering what else that I should get for it. So far I've ordered dual 2s 5000mah lipos to run in it, another Thunder AC6 charger since I have so many batteries now, 350oz MG digital servo, new TQi 4 channel rx/tx (the Summit I got came with old 2.4ghz), and the Traxxas light bar to add even more LEDs. Are there many weak points on the stock Summit? I've heard the stock servos are underpowered, which is why I got the aftermarket servo. Are there any other issues I should watch out for? Below is everything that I've ordered so far:

- Hobby Shop Employee
    - ModelKits.com & RcTruckStop.com Staff Writer

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Summit Coming- Upgrades?

Niice, Kawasaki Edition. Someone at my track has a Kawasaki Slash. I say, get stiffer springs, i own a MERV and the shocks are soo soft. Another thing is get spare bumpers. Believe me, you'll tear them up FAST. Have fun!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: collector1231

Niice, Kawasaki Edition. Someone at my track has a Kawasaki Slash. I say, get stiffer springs, i own a MERV and the shocks are soo soft. Another thing is get spare bumpers. Believe me, you'll tear them up FAST. Have fun!
    its a summit(full sized not the 1/16th) not a wheelie monstrosity the merv is...
    I doubt he will be pulling wheelies on 2 brushed motors.
    So I'm highly doubting the bumpers will be needed, along with the springs (might be wrong on the springs)
    Do understand as someone who owns a merv why you would say that though the springs they use SUCK on it, and bumpers don't last long(same with wings)

Honestly though I've not heard of many things on the summit that need upgrading seeing unlike traxxas's other RC's that they advertise to go 80MPH which need major after market support to not break at those speeds at the slightest mistake. The summit is more for slower driving so therefore its easier on the drive chain, and other parts even if you hit something I doubt anything would really break. So the few upgrades I seen were mostly cosmetic changes if you are usingit for the intended purpose.

Now if you got a summit, and wanted a revo (which I seen more common) then yea I seen a few people do durability upgrades, electronic upgrades, and whatnot to essentially make it into a revo with a summit body, and a diff locker...

http://www.ultimaterc.com/forums/arc.../t-141883.html post someone asked the same thing
    from that seems A-arm skids, and bottom plate from t-bone are recommended, and the front bumper
    With great speed comes greater repair bills.
    Click on My models to see some of what I own. Eventually will add the rest

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

A lot of useful info in the Summit thread.
    http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10928810/tm.htm

Just to clarify the Summit only has one motor, the Titan 775. A lot of people use a Dewalt motor but the Titan does alright.

If you got the model with the TQ radio you won't have low voltage detection built into the ESC so getting an external low voltage alarm might be something you're interested in doing.

The T-Bone covers look ok but I don't think they are all that needed unless you care that much about the stock plastic skid plates and a-arms, I haven't tryed them myself but they look as though rocks would get caught up in them if you were thrashing around in loose gravel which IMO is always fun.

Are you going to be keeping and using the Summit or just reviewing it and passing it on?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: TheKennyKiller

A lot of useful info in the Summit thread.
    http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10928810/tm.htm

Just to clarify the Summit only has one motor, the Titan 775. A lot of people use a Dewalt motor but the Titan does alright.

If you got the model with the TQ radio you won't have low voltage detection built into the ESC so getting an external low voltage alarm might be something you're interested in doing.

The T-Bone covers look ok but I don't think they are all that needed unless you care that much about the stock plastic skid plates and a-arms, I haven't tryed them myself but they look as though rocks would get caught up in them if you were thrashing around in loose gravel which IMO is always fun.

Are you going to be keeping and using the Summit or just reviewing it and passing it on?
    No, I plan to keep this thing. Always wanted one. Thanks for everything everyone, and yes, this is the 1/10 version, not the 1/16 which several people have thought.
    - Hobby Shop Employee

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

My buddy just got one of these new summits last week.

Syco- only one brushed motor! A Titan 775

THT: Watch the servos, steering in particular. My buddies was ran for only 5 minutes in the open terrain before they both just crapped out, Crapxas just sent him new ones for it. And yea, the springs are weak and soft, out of the box it didn't come with a charger, the truck really seemed to me like a big build up to nothing, and this is personal experience. It's kinda like finding that "cute" girl on FB, only to meet her....all 400 lbs of her. Catch my drift? That's personal experience, too, btw lol
    Tekno Losi 8ight II Slash 4X4 II HPI Blitz II Associated B4.1 II Losi Mini-T II Custom frame AX10 II Axial G6

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: FahrtAutoRC

THT: Watch the servos, steering in particular. My buddies was ran for only 5 minutes in the open terrain before they both just crapped out, Crapxas just sent him new ones for it. And yea, the springs are weak and soft, out of the box it didn't come with a charger, the truck really seemed to me like a big build up to nothing, and this is personal experience. It's kinda like finding that ''cute'' girl on FB, only to meet her....all 400 lbs of her. Catch my drift? That's personal experience, too, btw lolÂ*
    I'm only gonna run the stock servos enough to review it. After that, selling them probably and putting in the single 350oz MG servo I got. Stock has 250oz combined, so 350oz should be plenty, but I'm kinda tempted to get a second 350oz servo so I could have 700oz of torque! That would be ridiculous but then I would probably need an external BEC. How fast is it stock? I don't want anything crazy, but I would like to get it up to around 30mph. On dual 2s 5000mah lipos will it do this, or can I gear it up without overheating it? I plan on getting a BL system for it, but I think I might just get the E-Revo motor mount so I can use dual 540s. I don't want an 1/8th scale system because I don't want it to be crazy powerful, but I would like it to be able to hit 30mph like I said but still have the torque to crawl. Any ideas?
    - Hobby Shop Employee

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

THT: Watch the servos, steering in particular. My buddies was ran for only 5 minutes in the open terrain before they both just crapped out, Crapxas just sent him new ones for it. And yea, the springs are weak and soft, out of the box it didn't come with a charger, the truck really seemed to me like a big build up to nothing, and this is personal experience. It's kinda like finding that ''cute'' girl on FB, only to meet her....all 400 lbs of her. Catch my drift? That's personal experience, too, btw lolÂ*
    sorry thought it was 2.

Or am I thinking back farther(or maybe it was a popular mod) cause I remember the EVX ESC was a dual motor ESC, and seeing them with 2 motors

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Any of the cheaper Hobbywing 1/8 scale motors will suprize you, as stock the Summit does maybe, just MAYBE, 20 mph. Stock, I would not change the gearing very much, as it IS a Titan motor, which are set up for imminent failure anyways. Running two BL 540's would actually be more expensive than a cheap 1/8 BL upgrade, and you wouldn't want anything crazy anyways since all the room you really have to work with is 2s per side.

ORIGINAL: thehuntingterminator

THT: Watch the servos, steering in particular. My buddies was ran for only 5 minutes in the open terrain before they both just crapped out, Crapxas just sent him new ones for it. And yea, the springs are weak and soft, out of the box it didn't come with a charger, the truck really seemed to me like a big build up to nothing, and this is personal experience. It's kinda like finding that ''cute'' girl on FB, only to meet her....all 400 lbs of her. Catch my drift? That's personal experience, too, btw lol
    I'm only gonna run the stock servos enough to review it. After that, selling them probably and putting in the single 350oz MG servo I got. Stock has 250oz combined, so 350oz should be plenty, but I'm kinda tempted to get a second 350oz servo so I could have 700oz of torque! That would be ridiculous but then I would probably need an external BEC. How fast is it stock? I don't want anything crazy, but I would like to get it up to around 30mph. On dual 2s 5000mah lipos will it do this, or can I gear it up without overheating it? I plan on getting a BL system for it, but I think I might just get the E-Revo motor mount so I can use dual 540s. I don't want an 1/8th scale system because I don't want it to be crazy powerful, but I would like it to be able to hit 30mph like I said but still have the torque to crawl. Any ideas?
    Tekno Losi 8ight II Slash 4X4 II HPI Blitz II Associated B4.1 II Losi Mini-T II Custom frame AX10 II Axial G6

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

sorry thought it was 2.

Or am I thinking back farther(or maybe it was a popular mod) cause I remember the EVX ESC was a dual motor ESC, and seeing them with 2 motors
    The EVX2 is a dual motor ESC that was made for the E-Revo and the E-Maxx. Traxxas modifies it slightly to use a single Titan 775.
    - Hobby Shop Employee

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: thehuntingterminator

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

sorry thought it was 2.

The EVX2 is a dual motor ESC that was made for the E-Revo and the E-Maxx. Traxxas modifies it slightly to use a single Titan 775.
    ahhh was prolly thinking of the brushed e-maxx being dual motor then

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Just got this because I heard the stock Titan gets a little hot:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/180921704736...#ht_2062wt_952
    - Hobby Shop Employee

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The Summit is a much better truck than Farht makes it out to be. A 5 minute first impression is cool, but long term ownership and use is usually a much better gauge.

In my opinion, Traxxas finally got a RTR truck right. Yes, it has weak servos out of the box, no question about it. But then again, please find me a stock RTR servo on any kit that people on RCU won't complain about.

Other than that, for what it is designed to do, it's a great truck, and doesn't really need much in the way of mods out of the box.

It is not fast, no two ways about it. 20 mph downhill, with a tailwind, on a good day. But it is a lot of fun for what it is designed to do: go just about anywhere, climb just about anything.

It's definitely not a pure crawler, but it wasn't meant to be.

I use it most often as a trail truck. I grab the kids, a few battery packs, and we go for a hike, trying to find places to crawl around with it. We have a blast doing that. It's a great change of pace from the bashing and jumping we do with our other trucks.
    Like the Thunder Tiger MT4 G3? Check it out on wondertiger.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: LaTuFu

The Summit is a much better truck than Farht makes it out to be.Â* A 5 minute first impression is cool, but long term ownership and use is usually a much better gauge.

In my opinion, Traxxas finally got a RTR truck right.Â* Yes, it has weak servos out of the box, no question about it.Â* But then again, please find me a stock RTR servo on any kit that people on RCU won't complain about.Â*

Other than that, for what it is designed to do, it's a great truck, and doesn't really need much in the way of mods out of the box.

It is not fast, no two ways about it.Â* 20 mph downhill, with a tailwind, on a good day.Â* But it is a lot of fun for what it is designed to do: go just about anywhere, climb just about anything.

It's definitely not a pure crawler, but it wasn't meant to be.

I use it most often as a trail truck.Â* I grab the kids, a few battery packs, and we go for a hike, trying to find places to crawl around with it.Â* We have a blast doing that.Â* It's a great change of pace from the bashing and jumping we do with our other trucks.
    Thanks for the info. Yeah, I've been wanting the Summit ever since I've been into the hobby, and now I can finally have one! It should be here tomorrow and I'm sooooo excited. But for tonight, I guess the old Micro SCT will have to do...
    - Hobby Shop Employee

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Got my Summit guys. Has been a lot of fun so far. One of the stock servos burnt out on me already though, but I called Traxxas and they are sending me a new one. Also, I already replaced them with the MG 350 oz. servo I got from hobbypartz. Here she is:
    - Hobby Shop Employee

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Man i like that green body!!!
    !!!Bash Like There\'\'s No Repair Bills!!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: pyromatic177

Man i like that green body!!!
    Me too. I don't even really like Kawasaki all that much but this thing looks amazing!
    - Hobby Shop Employee

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Went crawling today!
    - Hobby Shop Employee