Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

E-Revo Brushless Steering Servo

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 06:51 AM
achop

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default E-Revo Brushless Steering Servo

My ERBE currently has the stock dual servo setup. This weekend one of the servos shorted and needs to be replaced. I am thinking of going to a single servo setup but need help deciding on the best servo. Here are the servos I am considering;
    [*]Savox SC-1256TG[*]Savox SB-2270SG[*]Hitec HS-7950TH[*]Hitec HS-7955TG[*]Hitec HS-7954SH[*]JR Z9100T[/list]Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-23-2012, 07:24 AM
pyromatic177

Default RE: E-Revo Brushless Steering Servo

If money isn't a problem then the Hitec HS-7950 is the best
Old 07-23-2012, 09:47 AM
achop

Thanks for you reply.

I would like to get the most bang for my buck. I also don't want to overkill the servo setup. I am not planning on racing but would like something that can handle the ERBE (torque and speed) and is reliable/long lasting.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:19 AM
pyromatic177

Well i mean you want as most torque as you can get and as much speed also. But they're all about the same speed so you just choose how much toque you want. the one with the most torque (the most expensive one) is a very good servo. in all honesty they don't make Really Good cheap servo's. So if you want something that will last long and strong then the Hitec's and Savox brands are the one to choose.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:50 AM
achop

Here is what I have narrowed my choices to:
    [*]Hitec HS-7955TG $105[*]Hitec HS-7950TH $128[*]Savox SB-2270SG $125[/list]
    The Savox is the only brushless servo on this list. I am starting to lean toward to Savox but would like to know if I would be better off with either Hitec.

Thanks

Old 07-23-2012, 11:50 PM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Savox 1256 is more than you will ever need for a single servo solution in the ERBE. The problem is you will probably need an external BEC with any Savox servo.

Personally, I use [link=http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/cPath/61_100_2167_2169/products_id/18449/n/Team-Associated-DS1015-High-Torque-Speed-Digital-Servo-w-Heatsink]these (click me)[/link] in all my 1/8th applications where I want to put something 'good' that I will never have to worry about...it is faster than most of those you've listed and still makes 200oz-in of torque, which is enough for the ERBE. It also has less insane power demands, and will likely not need a BEC (I've been running this servo in a Savage with the Mamba Monster ESC (same as in the Revo) and the XP DS1015 servo and its never even blinked, no need for a BEC or any other kind of messing around. My truck weighs 16lb as well.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...rvo-w-Heatsink

Go for th XP or this Savox, there is no need to spend more.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ium-Gear-Servo

And a BEC if your ESC behaves strangely once you start using a high power servo...(which I strongly suggest if you go for any Savox, but may not be needed for other brands)... http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...Adjustable-BEC
Old 07-24-2012, 08:32 AM
thehuntingterminator

I have two of these in my Summit and they easily push those tires around in most situations:
http://www.valuehobby.com/radio-syst...hd-1501mg.html
Old 07-25-2012, 06:10 AM
LaTuFu
My Feedback: (1)

You only need one of those servos in your Summit if the torque ratings are accurate.

OP, I run the 7955TG in a 1/8 MT, and it is perfect.  I do need to run a glitch buster capacitor ($10) in the Rx, but I don't need to run a BEC.
Old 07-25-2012, 09:18 AM
pyromatic177

Do you have a link to that Glitch Buster thing
Old 07-25-2012, 08:02 PM
TheKennyKiller
Banned

ORIGINAL: LaTuFu

You only need one of those servos in your Summit if the torque ratings are accurate.

OP, I run the 7955TG in a 1/8 MT, and it is perfect. I do need to run a glitch buster capacitor ($10) in the Rx, but I don't need to run a BEC.
I bought one of those glitch busters thinking it would cut down on humming but it didn't seem to change anything, I have the same servo as well.

ORIGINAL: pyromatic177

This is the one I bought.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXNRE0&P=SM

@Foxy Those Team Associated servos, I've heard good things about them but I think I remember reading somewhere they are re-branded from something else? I don't know I might be talking through my hat. 201.4 oz/in seems a little low though, the stock servos have 250 oz/in combined. I'd be going for something around 300-400 oz/in for a Revo but that's just me.

If it were me I would go with the Hitec 7955TG, 333 oz/in of torque is enough and it's cheaper than the other two the op mentioned. Savox has the same spline count as Traxxas servos so that's a bonus. If you go with Hitec and you don't want to use one of the horns provided be sure to get the Traxxas horns for aftermarket servos.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=TRAC6345&P=K
Old 07-25-2012, 11:38 PM
Foxy

ORIGINAL: TheKennyKiller

ORIGINAL: LaTuFu

OP, I run the 7955TG in a 1/8 MT, and it is perfect. I do need to run a glitch buster capacitor ($10) in the Rx, but I don't need to run a BEC.
I bought one of those glitch busters thinking it would cut down on humming but it didn't seem to change anything, I have the same servo as well.

ORIGINAL: pyromatic177

This is the one I bought.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXNRE0&P=SM

@Foxy Those Team Associated servos, I've heard good things about them but I think I remember reading somewhere they are re-branded from something else? I don't know I might be talking through my hat. 201.4 oz/in seems a little low though, the stock servos have 250 oz/in combined. I'd be going for something around 300-400 oz/in for a Revo but that's just me.

If it were me I would go with the Hitec 7955TG, 333 oz/in of torque is enough and it's cheaper than the other two the op mentioned. Savox has the same spline count as Traxxas servos so that's a bonus. If you go with Hitec and you don't want to use one of the horns provided be sure to get the Traxxas horns for aftermarket servos.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=TRAC6345&P=K
TKK, you're right, they are not by team associated, they are by Thunder Tiger (this is a 'good thing', Thunder Tiger's electrical brand, ACE, has been making good quality (not cheap) electronics since Thunder Tiger first appeared a very very long time ago). When Thunder Tiger acquired Associated, they rebranded a lot of Associated stuff as Thunder Tiger to sell it more easily in Europe, and a lot of TTR/ACE stuff, particularly the electronics, got rebranded as AE XP in order to sell more easily in the US.

200oz-in is overkill for truggy and more than adequate for MTs. As with everything else, the build quality and components used are what makes the difference more than the stated ratings. People have been saying the suggested ratings on the DS1015 have always been conservative (or rather, other servo companies fudge the numbers with tests designed to give a specific outcome). If you offered me a Hitec 7955 or an ACE DS1015, I'll take the ACE every time, and the same goes for ANY Savox (that I'll take the ds1015 every time). They also have the most useful combination of speed AND torque. Look at all the other servos mentioned, they're pretty slow compared to the 1015. Finally, the DS1015 pulls half as much current as th Savoxes (ok that's a guess, I haven't measured it, but I have never had any problems with 3A internal BECS with te DS1015, whereas even the measly Sav1258 made my ESCs very angry with its power draw. The 1015 is a very efficient servo.

Every time a new servo comes out (you watch and wait, the next ones will be 400oz-in), all of a sudden everyone will be saying these are the servos to have. Why? Because they need to justify their own purchase, so they'll go to any length to convince people that they 'need' 400oz-in.

Just like the amp ratings on speed controllers, manufacturers just want to keep raising the ratings so they can sell more units for higher prices, 300oz-in is more than a lot of 1/5th scale steering servos, and besides, you can never know if it is initial torque they are describing or holding torque. The market has gone mad. Even the Savox 1258 with its blinding speed and somewhat lower torque at 166oz-in if I remember correctly, is more than strong enough to steer a truggy at 60mph.

Bottom line, when I want a rock solid fast and strong reliable servo, I'm still going to be buying the DS1015, I'm on my 8th (some have been sold in other vehicles, some are still in use, as I mentioned, I have one on steering duties in my 15lb savage XL) and I've never had a single gear or electrical failure on any of them. For me, they have always been the embodiment of 'fit and forget'.
Old 07-26-2012, 03:19 AM
TheKennyKiller
Banned

Yeah I noticed the Team Associated servos were quicker than the Hitecs mentioned. I could be wrong but I think it might have been in one of your posts a while back where I read about them being made by Thunder Tiger. I might have to keep them on my radar for the future.
Old 07-26-2012, 03:27 AM
Foxy

Could well have been one of my posts. I was singing the priases of this servo since it first appeared, while the rest of the community turned their noses up at it cos it wasn't ko propo or futaba. Eventually the racers started to realise that they were actually extremely good servos. Then TTR messed up a batch and they were back to square 1. Several thousand units failed by all accounts, something to do with the design of the case I believe. Only now people are starting to forget this some 5 years later despite the fact the problem was corrected fairly quickly. All the bad ones were orange label ACE units, so avoid them if you see them, just in case. although I've had two orange labels work flawlessly before being moved on. You can tell it's a good servo, it's been around for some 9 years unchanged in design or price.