Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Slash 4x4 roller build assistance - $$ for most help

Ihave been researching on the forums for a few weeks and wanted to take a dive into my first RCvehicle purchase. Ihave built and flown model airplanes for the last 3 years and messed with RCboats some, so I do have some modeling experience. Iwanted some opinions on what would be the best upgrades to have as I am putting this roller together. Iam not sure as of yet that Ihave everything needed for a complete working kit, so Iwill itemize a list as upgrades are added.

Iplan to use this vehicle on dirt, Grass, gravel and pavement. We have a dirt track close to house as well which Iplan to run on. This truck will be bashed/jumped and raced for fun. Because of the distance to a hobby shop, Iorder most items online, so Ilike to have common items that wear or break on hand. Iknow this is going to cost alot more then my initial budget, but I want to do it right the first time around! Idon't want anything exotic for upgrades! Iwant solid, quality bolt ons that offer utilitarian purpose and Icould care less about eye candy.

Iam also running this post over at Ultimate RCforums, in which I will keep both updated on build list.

-

**As a Thankyou for whom-ever gives me the most useable/educated assistance finalizing this build, Iam offering a modest 25$ credit to US vendor of your choice. Iknow its nothing major, but my way of a thankyou for your assistance Keep assistance within constraints of already purchased items please. Only 1 credit will be issued to the person Ifeel has offered me the best assistance. Thanks again.

-

*ITEMSPURCHASEDSOFAR - (UPDATEDASBUILDCONTINUES)

-RC Vehicle - Traxxas Slash 4x4 ROLLER w/ Tires, and servo http://www.ebay.com/itm/Traxxas-Slas...tem4ab9850cf8-
    -Body - Traxxas 4x4 ebay standard Slash body
    -Charger - Thunder AC 6 w/ extra charging adapters
    -Batteries - 2x - Gen Ace 2S, 40c, 5000 mha lipo's
    -Radio - FlySky GT3B w/ receiver
    -Castle Creations SHort Course SV2 Sidewinder ESC w/ NEU 1410 3800 kv Motor Combo (Using this ESC/Motor combo for warranty) (Not using the EZY motor/esc combo per SyCo_VeNoM 's insight)

- King Headz Motor mount/bearing/slipper bearing adapter
    - Pro-Line 6082-00 ProTrac Suspension Kit Slash 4X4 Front/Rear Arms Champer Links - http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=380443647434
    - Various - 30wt shock oil, HPIheat sensor, stock servo rebuild kit, stock shock rebuild kit
    -Novak 5160 5mm 32-Pitch Steel Pinion Gear 12T/13T/14T 3-Pack (Hope this will get me by for now with the 12/13/14)
    -Traxxas 6898 Sway Bar Kit Slash 4x4

-RPM 80122 Rear Bumper Black Slash 4x4 Black
    -RPM 80022 Front Bumper and Skid Plate Black Slash 4x4 Black
    -RPMWheelie Bar

**ITEMSUNDERCONSIDERATION PENDINGREVIEWS

-Rear X-DUTY CVD Kit: Slash, Slash 4x4
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A1BKVSJG1RNAQO
    -Pro-Line Badlands 2.2 All-Terrain Truck Front/Rear (2) 1144-00 NI
    - TKR6851PL – M6 Driveshafts and Steering Blocks for Slash/Stmpd 4×4 (front, for ProLine ProTrac) http://www.teknorc.com/shop/tkr6851p...oline-protrac/
    - TKR6852PL – M6 Driveshafts and Hub Carriers for Slash/Stmpd 4×4 (rear, for ProLine ProTrac)
    http://www.teknorc.com/shop/tkr6852p...oline-protrac/
    - SHOCKS - (Not sure here what Iwant to do. Should Irebuild the stocks or go new and why??
    - MIP X-Duty CVD Axle, Front MIP10133

Many thanks in advance for assistance in getting my first build/roller running!!

Cody

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Slash 4x4 roller build assistance - $$ for most help

ORIGINAL: Theodomas

IΒ*have been researching on the forums for a few weeks and wanted to take a dive into my first RCΒ*vehicle purchase.Β* IΒ*have built and flown model airplanes for the last 3 years and messed with RCΒ*boats some, so I do have some modeling experience. Β* IΒ*wanted some opinions on what would be the best upgrades to have as I am putting this roller together.Β* IΒ*am not sure as of yet that IΒ*have everything needed for a complete working kit, so IΒ*will itemize a list. Β* IΒ*plan to use this vehicle on dirt, Grass, gravel and pavement.Β* We have a dirt track close to house as well which IΒ*plan to run on.Β* This truck will be bashed/jumped and raced for fun.Β* Because of the distance to a hobby shop, IΒ*order most items online, so IΒ*like to have common items that wear or break on hand.Β* IΒ*have another 200$ that IΒ*am willing to invest in any hop up parts or accessories etc.

*ITEMSΒ*Purchased so far

RC Vehicle - Traxxas Slash 4x4 ROLLER w/ Tires, and servo http://www.ebay.com/itm/Traxxas-Slas...item4ab9850cf8
    Body - Traxxas 4x4 ebay standard Slash body
    Charger - Thunder AC 6 w/ extra charging adapters
    Batteries - 2x -Β* Gen Ace 2S, 40c, 5000 mha lipo's
    Radio - FlySky GT3B w/ receiver
    ESC/Motor - EZRUN Brushless System Combo B1 w/ 35A ESC and 13T@3000KV 3650M Brushless Motor
    Various - Extra Stock Spur/pinion, 30wt shock oil, HPIΒ*heat sensor,Β* stock servo rebuild kit, stock shock rebuild kit

Many thanks in advance for assistance in getting my first build/roller running!!

Cody

that will NOT work the slash 4X4 is WAY too heavy for that combo. It would work in a 2wd slash though.
    I tried a 60A in mine and it was getting too hot. I went up to a HW SC8 ESC, and a 3500 kv motor off HK (cant remember which) I think the motor I got pulls like 80-90A's(why I went with the SC8)
    With great speed comes greater repair bills.
    Click on My models to see some of what I own. Eventually will add the rest

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

Ihave been researching on the forums for a few weeks and wanted to take a dive into my first RCvehicle purchase. Ihave built and flown model airplanes for the last 3 years and messed with RCboats some, so I do have some modeling experience. Iwanted some opinions on what would be the best upgrades to have as I am putting this roller together. Iam not sure as of yet that Ihave everything needed for a complete working kit, so Iwill itemize a list. Iplan to use this vehicle on dirt, Grass, gravel and pavement. We have a dirt track close to house as well which Iplan to run on. This truck will be bashed/jumped and raced for fun. Because of the distance to a hobby shop, Iorder most items online, so Ilike to have common items that wear or break on hand. Ihave another 200$ that Iam willing to invest in any hop up parts or accessories etc.

*ITEMSPurchased so far

RC Vehicle - Traxxas Slash 4x4 ROLLER w/ Tires, and servo http://www.ebay.com/itm/Traxxas-Slas...item4ab9850cf8
    Batteries - 2x - Gen Ace 2S, 40c, 5000 mha lipo's
    ESC/Motor - EZRUN Brushless System Combo B1 w/ 35A ESC and 13T@3000KV 3650M Brushless Motor
    Various - Extra Stock Spur/pinion, 30wt shock oil, HPIheat sensor, stock servo rebuild kit, stock shock rebuild kit

Cody

that will NOT work the slash 4X4 is WAY too heavy for that combo. It would work in a 2wd slash though.
    I tried a 60A in mine and it was getting too hot. I went up to a HW SC8 ESC, and a 3500 kv motor off HK (cant remember which) I think the motor I got pulls like 80-90A's(why I went with the SC8)

Thanks for the heads up mate. Would this be a better combo? http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=390427101870

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

much better

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

With a little research Ialso came across this combo here, that supports 3s as well. Any thoughts on this ? http://www.funshobby.com/index.php/p...+SHIPPING.html

Iam sure there are other viable options, but Iwant to make sure i'm getting my money worth and open up upgrade possibilities.

Thanks !

ORIGINAL: savagecommander

much better

Kingston UK, but living in Athens, GREECE
    Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

That's even better still.
    Down with the crew known to pump up the bass...
    We rock the joint at a cool, steady pace.
    Foxy
    RCU Community Moderator

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

**Thanks so much for the assistance! With some research and help from some members Ihave made a few more choices for additional parts. Which Spur/Pinion combo would be recommended for this set-up? Company/brand ?The motor is a 5mm shaft I believe. Also Iam looking to make a tire thats good for all occations (Bashing/Track). Will this fit the bill? http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Pro-Line...item4d01424fb4

**As a Thankyou for whom-ever gives me the most useable/educated assistance finalizing this build, Iam offering a modest 25$ credit to vendor of your choice. Iknow its nothing major, but my way of a thankyou for your assistance Keep assistance within constraints of already purchased items please. Only 1 credit will be issued to the person Ifeel has offered me the best assistance. Thanks again.

*New Updated purchase additions

- Castle Creations SHort Course SV2 Sidewinder ESC w/ NEU 1410 3800 kv Motor Combo (Using this ESC/Motor combo for warranty) (Not using the EZY motor/esc combo per SyCo_VeNoM 's insight)
    - Pro-Line 6082-00 ProTrac Suspension Kit Slash 4X4 Front/Rear Arms Champer Links

*Already purchased

Various - Extra Stock Spur/pinion, 30wt shock oil, HPIheat sensor, stock servo rebuild kit, stock shock rebuild kit

Thanks,

Cody

-

Ihave been researching on the forums for a few weeks and wanted to take a dive into my first RCvehicle purchase. Ihave built and flown model airplanes for the last 3 years and messed with RCboats some, so I do have some modeling experience. Iwanted some opinions on what would be the best upgrades to have as I am putting this roller together. Iam not sure as of yet that Ihave everything needed for a complete working kit, so Iwill itemize a list. Iplan to use this vehicle on dirt, Grass, gravel and pavement. We have a dirt track close to house as well which Iplan to run on. This truck will be bashed/jumped and raced for fun. Because of the distance to a hobby shop, Iorder most items online, so Ilike to have common items that wear or break on hand. Ihave another 200$ that Iam willing to invest in any hop up parts or accessories etc.

*ITEMSPurchased so far

Cody

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Doing some more research on my own, until the big wigs get around to answering.

**NEW ADDITIONS
    -Novak 5160 5mm 32-Pitch Steel Pinion Gear 12T/13T/14T 3-Pack (Hope this will get me by for now with the 12/13/14)

-RPM 80022 Front Bumper and Skid Plate Black Slash 4x4 Black
    (This part is a consideration now, based on input from others)

Cody

Ihave been researching on the forums for a few weeks and wanted to take a dive into my first RCvehicle purchase. Ihave built and flown model airplanes for the last 3 years and messed with RCboats some, so I do have some modeling experience. Iwanted some opinions on what would be the best upgrades to have as I am putting this roller together. Iam not sure as of yet that Ihave everything needed for a complete working kit, so Iwill itemize a list. Iplan to use this vehicle on dirt, Grass, gravel and pavement. We have a dirt track close to house as well which Iplan to run on. This truck will be bashed/jumped and raced for fun. Because of the distance to a hobby shop, Iorder most items online, so Ilike to have common items that wear or break on hand. Iknow this is going to cost alot more then my initial budget, but I want to do it right the first time around!

-

**As a Thankyou for whom-ever gives me the most useable/educated assistance finalizing this build, Iam offering a modest 25$ credit to US vendor of your choice. Iknow its nothing major, but my way of a thankyou for your assistance Keep assistance within constraints of already purchased items please. Only 1 credit will be issued to the person Ifeel has offered me the best assistance. Thanks again.

-

-RC Vehicle - Traxxas Slash 4x4 ROLLER w/ Tires, and servo http://www.ebay.com/itm/Traxxas-Slas...tem4ab9850cf8-
    -Castle Creations SHort Course SV2 Sidewinder ESC w/ NEU 1410 3800 kv Motor Combo (Using this ESC/Motor combo for warranty) (Not using the EZY motor/esc combo per SyCo_VeNoM 's insight)

- Pro-Line 6082-00 ProTrac Suspension Kit Slash 4X4 Front/Rear Arms Champer Links - http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=380443647434
    - Various - 30wt shock oil, HPIheat sensor, stock servo rebuild kit, stock shock rebuild kit

Cody

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

-RPM 80022 Front Bumper and Skid Plate Black Slash 4x4 Blac
    - RPM Wheelie Bar

**ITEMSUNDERCONSIDERATION PENDINGREVIEWS (Thoughts and input on these items please!)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A1BKVSJG1RNAQO
    -Pro-Line Badlands 2.2 All-Terrain Truck Front/Rear (2) 1144-00 NIB
    - TKR6851PL – M6 Driveshafts and Steering Blocks for Slash/Stmpd 4×4 (front, for ProLine ProTrac)
    http://www.teknorc.com/shop/tkr6851p...oline-protrac/
    - TKR6852PL – M6 Driveshafts and Hub Carriers for Slash/Stmpd 4×4 (rear, for ProLine ProTrac)
    http://www.teknorc.com/shop/tkr6852p...oline-protrac/
    - SHOCKS - (Not sure here what Iwant to do. Should Irebuild the stocks or go new and why??
    -
    MIP X-Duty CVD Axle, Front MIP10133 x 2

Cody

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Personally if I were you I'd have just waited till you got the motor esc, radio, and roller and tried it out before going hog wild ordering the hop-ups
    When I got my roller I was expecting a lot, and thought I'd love it, but once I used it 2 times I honestly can say I didn't care for it at all. I then spent $30ish and converted it to a pede 4X4 which I like WAYYY more
    With great speed comes greater repair bills.
    Click on My models to see some of what I own. Eventually will add the rest

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I hear ya! I love the SC trucks and watching the races. Iplan on building a MT closer to Xmas time, but am focusing on this build right now. Ihave the $$ saved and enjoy running the different SCT trucks that my friends have at the local track. We have some Losi, Associated, OFN, HPI and some others at the track. Ilike them all, but in the end Idecided to go with the Slash 4x4. Its all fun in the end and a learning experience

Cody

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

Personally if I were you I'd have just waited till you got the motor esc, radio, and roller and tried it out before going hog wild ordering the hop-ups
    When I got my roller I was expecting a lot, and thought I'd love it, but once I used it 2 times I honestly can say I didn't care for it at all. I then spent $30ish and converted it to a pede 4X4 which I like WAYYY more

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have heard great things about those MIP driveshafts, so I would get those for sure (stock Traxxas driveshafts aren't the best based on personal experience). But you should really only need the rears because they're what takes the most abuse. Also, those badlands tires should work great on most bashing surfaces, but keep in mind that if you ever want to run on the street, get the hardest compound available. This will reduce wear and promote long tread life. Let me know of anything else I can help you with.
    - Hobby Shop Employee
    - ModelKits.com & RcTruckStop.com Staff Writer