Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Off road vehicle

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2012, 05:04 AM
Hills-90

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Off road vehicle

Hi I'm a complete newbie at this stuff and so would like a bit of advice please, I am after a Electric rc of road vehicle that is capable enough to do a bit of rock crawling and negotiate different terrains like sand grass shingle and so on, what would you recommend? I'm not looking for the top of the range bit of kit but something that is sat in the middle of the range that is value for money and competent at what it does

I also quite like the idea of it having the lights on it and a range rover LR6 body if it's even possible

Thanks in advance for your replies
Josh
Old 07-28-2012, 08:01 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Off road vehicle

Axial wraith, ridgecrest, or SCX10 Trail Honcho if you want RTR
you can add a RPM ligt bar(requires LEDS) to any of them if you want a roof rack

Axial SCX10 Dingo if you want a kit (no electronics included, but you can do LED headlights seeing they include mounts)

as for a range rover I don't know of any bodies for them.
Old 07-28-2012, 03:47 PM
thehuntingterminator

You can find some plastic New Bright bodies on eBay for around $50 and they are super scale looking. They even make a Land Rocer version.
ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

Axial wraith, ridgecrest, or SCX10 Trail Honcho if you want RTR
you can add a RPM ligt bar(requires LEDS) to any of them if you want a roof rack

Axial SCX10 Dingo if you want a kit (no electronics included, but you can do LED headlights seeing they include mounts)

as for a range rover I don't know of any bodies for them.
Old 07-28-2012, 07:58 PM
crazy nick
My Feedback: (29)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check out tamiya cc01 chassis vehicles
Old 07-29-2012, 12:55 AM
Hills-90

Thanks guys, I just had a look at the SCX 10 options is the rtr good value or is it cheaper to buy the kit and buy the rest separately?
Old 07-29-2012, 06:01 AM
Foxy

It's never cheaper in the short term, but often it's cheaper in the long term to buy a kit and good ancillaries from the start. I don't actually have any experience with that RTR, but I bet the servo isn't that good, and it's probably got a brushed motor (which is good for crawling, not so much for whipping it about). If I'm wrong and it has a brushless motor, then I bet it isn't sensored, which it should be for crawling. If it does have a sensored brushless low kv motor and a high torque metal gear servo, then it's great as it is. If it doesn't, then it won't be long before you want those things. Still...going RTR is always a good way to get a cheap radio, but again, you'll soon want one with expo and end point adjustment in order to make the truck perform better...

If you are someone who is going to want its performance to be the best it can be within reason, then it would be cheaper to buy a roller and some separate bits and pieces. google around, see what people are putting on their SCXes. I love the car, it's definitely on my wishlist too.
Old 07-29-2012, 10:33 AM
thehuntingterminator

ORIGINAL: Foxy

It's never cheaper in the short term, but often it's cheaper in the long term to buy a kit and good ancillaries from the start. I don't actually have any experience with that RTR, but I bet the servo isn't that good, and it's probably got a brushed motor (which is good for crawling, not so much for whipping it about). If I'm wrong and it has a brushless motor, then I bet it isn't sensored, which it should be for crawling. If it does have a sensored brushless low kv motor and a high torque metal gear servo, then it's great as it is. If it doesn't, then it won't be long before you want those things. Still...going RTR is always a good way to get a cheap radio, but again, you'll soon want one with expo and end point adjustment in order to make the truck perform better...

If you are someone who is going to want its performance to be the best it can be within reason, then it would be cheaper to buy a roller and some separate bits and pieces. google around, see what people are putting on their SCXes. I love the car, it's definitely on my wishlist too.
It is brushed (27t 540 size) and it's suppose to be a decent motor, but I still like the peace of mind that comes with brushless...
Old 07-29-2012, 10:37 AM
Hills-90

So is it beneficial to build from scratch instead of buying a kit?
Old 07-29-2012, 03:30 PM
erevoBE

the traxxas summit is a good option , it isnt a dedicated rock crawler but it has the ability to rock crawl and when not in that mode it can give reasonably "ok" speed runs and stuff...
Old 07-29-2012, 03:32 PM
Foxy

ORIGINAL: Hills-90

So is it beneficial to build from scratch instead of buying a kit?
Build from scratch is a kit. RTR is the other option (ready to run). If you can afford (and value the performance offered by more expensive parts) to build the kit and buy your speed controller/motor/radio separately, then you will have a much better truck than if you bought the RTR. If you buy the RTR, you have a ready truck for cheaper, but you run the risk of finding that you are not satisfied with the performance, and changing out the same things you would have bought separately, had you bought a kit/roller. Basically if you can afford it, it's worth buying good stuff separately. If not then get the RTR and upgrade more slowly over time.