Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Battery headache

Old 08-03-2012, 01:02 AM
celica49

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery headache

Ok guys, I am just getting into the electric side of things, and am in need of some serious help. The Kyosho Inferno Ve Buggy I ordered takes deans plugs (which from what I understand are still the best type of plugs out there) the question I have though, is what is the best batteires to get on somewhat of a budget? I bought 4 EcoPower Electron 2s 30c batteries when I ordered the car, but am wondering if I need more for racing. I am looking at something like this http://www.hobbypartz.com/98p-50c-50...case-2222.htmlfor race days, but that soesnt seem to have a deans plug on it. What would you guys suggest for both power and economical price with a deans plug? Just a quick little background, the Inferno Ve Race Spec runs 2 2s packs at a time, so for a decent race day I will probably need 4 batteries. Thanks
Old 08-03-2012, 01:32 AM
celica49

Default RE: Battery headache

Does this http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXVJU7&P=7 or the male equivalent plug dierectly into this http://www.hobbypartz.com/98p-50c-50...case-2222.html battery to where the battery can work with the deans plug? or am I missing something? the club I want to run with is a ROAR club, so everything I run is going to have to be ROAR approved, which is why I am leaning towards this battery, and the batteries I have already purchased. Thanks guys. This electric stuff is foriegn as hell to me
Old 08-03-2012, 01:47 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's very hard to find batteries from the Chinese marques with deans on them. Don't worry at all about the plugs, just get yourself a soldering iron, it's dead easy. There are loads of vids on youtube (how to solder deans) and just get used to changing the plugs on batteries you buy, we all have to do it...

Now that that's out of the way, battery specs... Your 30Cs should be ok for club racing, but higher C is always better. You'll know if your batts are under spec, if after a full 8-9 minute practice they are hot, then you would benefit from higher C.
Old 08-03-2012, 05:42 AM
Eman77

I agree that a soldering iron is key in this hobby. Changing battery/ESC/motor connectors is pretty common, and I'd hate to have to limit choices based on connectors they come with.

Good luck!
Old 08-03-2012, 06:42 AM
celica49

I know at some point i will have to learn that, but in the quick meantime will the set up I posted work? Do the banana clips plug into the battery itself, and then whatever lead is on the other side of the banana clips plugs into the car? Like I said i am brand new to the electric side of things and want the "shortcut" if at all possible.
Old 08-03-2012, 07:56 AM
Eman77

ORIGINAL: celica49

I know at some point i will have to learn that, but in the quick meantime will the set up I posted work? Do the banana clips plug into the battery itself, and then whatever lead is on the other side of the banana clips plugs into the car? Like I said i am brand new to the electric side of things and want the ''shortcut'' if at all possible.
My apologies, I see now that the battery you link to is easy to swap plugs into, so in general what you're suggesting will work.

In looking at the battery, it takes 4mm plugs. The TowerHobbies lead you linked to is 4mm, so yes, that should work! Should be easy for you.
Old 08-03-2012, 11:30 AM
celica49

cool deal! Ill order them up and those will be my race day batteries, and I will use the 30c batteries for practice days. Big thanks.