Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more
Reload this Page >

Sshhh.. Don't tell anybody - thinking about an electric.. (SC8E)

Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Sshhh.. Don't tell anybody - thinking about an electric.. (SC8E)

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 11:49 PM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Sshhh.. Don't tell anybody - thinking about an electric.. (SC8E)

OK, yes, I hate electric generally...

But.., I just don't have the time or motivation to race my RC8.2. So I'm selling it, and the question is, what to get in its place. I have a nitro SC8, and love it. It's just a simple, good, reliable RC for messing around - which more and more seems to be all I have time for.. And yes, it would be kind of nice to be able to go over to the park (5 minutes away) and run without the noise, and in winter, etc.. The SC8E would be a good choice because I already have tons of parts laying around, and could switch parts between the the two of them...

Anyway, I have NO clue about lipos and brushless anything.. So, my question is, if I get an SC8E, where in the h.ell do I even start??

Before even going down this route though, I have to be clear about the safety.. I live on an upper floor in an apartment building in a city-center kind of area, so cannot store lipos in an ammo box in the shed or whatever.. If there are any issues on that front, it would all be a non-starter..

I guess, if I got an SC8E, I would need a new lipo charger, and of course a couple lipos. From watching youtube, 6S looks cool, but for starters I guess I could start with 4S.. What do most people do? Have two batteries when they go out? What are the best value-for-money brands of lipos? Also, what kind of budget would I be looking at to get started? Doesn't need to be top of the line.. I run LRP nitro engines, and am fine with them... Don't have to run modded Novarossis if you know what I'm saying...

Anyway, any input would be appreciated. Just kind of brainstorming my options.. Thanks.
Old 08-07-2012, 12:10 AM
celica49

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Sshhh.. Don't tell anybody - thinking about an electric.. (SC8E)

I was always the same way, until I started checking into it, and seeing that electric is a while lot more simple than nitro. Lipo is actually very safe, you just have to keep an eye on things. Most lipo chargers are programmable to help avoid the over charging/ liposplosion issues that were rampant when people really started going to lipo.

As far as batteries, I am not sure what the rc8e runs as far as battery configuration and stuff, but my Kyosho runs 2 2s batteries, I have 4 batteries that I will be taking with me on race days (gens ace 5000 mAh, 50c roar batteries found http://www.hobbypartz.com/98p-50c-50...case-2222.html ) and 4 practice day batteries ( Ecopower 5000 mAh, 30c Roar Batteries found http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-ROAR-Approved )

Now, the other option you may have, is to convert your current buggy from nitro to electric. That would be a less expensive route, and you dont have to lose money on selling the buggy. Here is the kit to go from nitro to electric with your current buggy

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...rdware-Package
Old 08-07-2012, 12:16 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I commend you on your choice for going electric with that particular car. An SC8E is currently top of my own wishlist.

You will need:

A 1/8th scale motor between 1800 and 2200 kv. 1800-2000 preferable if you want the 6S option.
A suitable speed controller...capable of 120A sustained minimum. Really you want one of the big boys, mamba monster max, lrp ix8, orion vortex pro, tekin rx8, etc, etc. There's a budget option, the 150A pro esc from hobbyhot.com which is much cheaper and will meet all your needs.
Servos you know about, only you only need one in electric of course (unless you're going to keep mech brakes, which I don't recommend.
Batteries... You can buy singles at 4S and 6S or 2S and 3S and double them up. Because I have other electric models, the latter is much more convenient for me, but the 4S and 6S batteries are lighter and more consistent than using doubles (though only fractionally) and of course are more expensive to buy.
A good charger (Thunder AC6 if you want something you can plug into the wall, imex B6 if you have a 12v source (these chargers are 20 and 40 bucks respectively).

If you are looking for budget stuff, here's what I'd go for...

ESC: http://www.hobbyhot.com/HOBBYWING-EZ...A-ESC-1-8.html
Motor: http://www.hobbyhot.com/LEOPARD-Mode...ess-Motor.html
2S battery: http://www.hobbypartz.com/77p-sl5000-2s1p-40c-2222.html
3S battery: http://www.hobbypartz.com/77p-sl5000-3s1p-40c-3333.html
Charger: http://www.hobbypartz.com/thac6smbachw.html

Unfortunately, at this time, both batteries are out of stock, however, here are some battery options from hobbyking's german warehouse...

These are better than the SKY Lipos listed above according to popular opinion...

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...SortOrder=desc
And this 6S battery is very nice for the price, nice high C.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html

LAstly, here's a link to electric basics, you may not need all of it, but hopefully some of it will be hlpful.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=11170970
Old 08-07-2012, 12:21 AM
HerrSavage

I have a few other reasons for wanting to sell the RC8.2. They changed so much on it that I can't really interchange parts with the SC8 or use the spares I had from my RC8B.. I also think it's still new enough (10 tanks through it..) that I should be able to get a decent amount back out of it.. Maybe not though.. In which case I'd have to rethink things. Maybe convert the SC8.. But I have a strong hunch doing so would run into the hundreds of Euros range, and that's not really an option at the moment.. Selling the RC8.2, and maybe investing max €200 on top of what I get out of it to get an SC8E up and running, maybe... Laying down €300-400 or more just to convert the SC8, with all the lipos, charger, etc.., naahh not really.. I'd probably rather have a Savage Flux XS or something. But that kind of defeats the purpose of having a second RC that can share parts, etc.. Right now HPI would be a whole new brand.. (Already have two LST2's, an Ofna DM-1, and the SC8 and RC8.2..)

Basically, what I want is something simple that I can just spontaneously decide to walk over to the park with for messing around... Not really prepared to invest €500 to do that right now..
Old 08-07-2012, 12:23 AM
HerrSavage

Thanks folks...

Jeeze - and people say electric is easy..

We'll see what happens. Got to unload this RC8.2 first...
Old 08-07-2012, 06:22 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

umm I store my batteries in an ammo box on my rug
I also charge my batts in another ammo box on my wood desk

BTW live in the middle of chicago on the 2nd floor of an apartment

some guys did a test of igniting a lip in an ammo box, and closing the lid. The box only hit like 130 degrees before the lipos went out due to lack of oxygen, and didn't even damage the extremely cheap rug they had the box sitting on.

As for batteries foxy has it pretty spot on
BUT I'm not a fan of sky lipos I have a few, and honestly they are kinda poor IMO
My 3S radio battery dropped from 11.4 volts to 9.3 in 5 mins in the radio the other day. Then when I took it out it rebounded up to 11volts again. Don't think I ever had that issue in any of my Hobby King batteries. I could understand in a high drain device, but it was in a radio that could run for 8 hours on AA's...

Other battery brands that are pretty decent are Gensace (hobbypartz carries them) the one I got WAY out preforms the similar capacity sky lipo I have for an RC.
HK I own like 7+ Turnigy batteries from them, and not had one issue. Find they can take the punishment mt RC's put out.
Old 08-07-2012, 08:04 AM
yakfish
My Feedback: (27)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have never had any of the issues with Lipos that we hear about. I caught one on fire but that was on purpose with a battery that had a bad cell so I put a nail thru it to see what would happen! I was outside so safety wasn't an issue! There a few general guidlines to lipos:

1) don't over charge
2) don't over discharge
3) don't puncture
4) don't overheat
5) keep the cells balanced

Generally if you follow these you will be fine. Some people get uptight about safety in general. While everybody will agree that safety is important some people do get carried away. Its not rocket science, and Lipos are safe! If you are concerned about fires while charging and you don't have much space try charging in you bath tub (while dry of course!). Its partially enclosed and fireproof so if by some odd chance you do have a fire it will be contained and there will be no real damage.

I mainly use cheap Lipos and I have had very good success with them. I buy them from either hobbypartz.com or hobyking.com look for gensace, skylipo, zippy ect. These are all very resonably price and are descent quallity. I have owned several of them and none have given me any issues. You may as well just jump right in and go for 6s! you will be glad you did. it doesn't hurt to have some 4s on hand as well, but your grin will be much bigger with 6s!

I would say 2 sets of batts are the minium but more is always better. Good luck with your new venture!
Old 08-07-2012, 08:16 AM
HerrSavage

Thanks for all the input folks.. Electric sure is expensive. Never realized getting started with a new SC8E realistically costs like a grand right off the bat.. Truck, charger, min. two sets of lipos, ammo boxes.... Plus a whole new learning curve..
Old 08-07-2012, 08:18 AM
yakfish
My Feedback: (27)

ORIGINAL: HerrSavage

Thanks for all the input folks.. Electric sure is expensive. Never realized getting started with a new SC8E realistically costs like a grand right off the bat.. Truck, charger, lipos, ammo boxes....
It can be expensive if you buy brand new. What about looking for a used roller? you could definetly save some cash at least enough to cover the cost of a few batts.

You know... If you go brushless you will have to change your sig, right!! LOL!!
Old 08-07-2012, 10:19 AM
Foxy

Electric is exe=pensive initially, but half the stuff you buy for your first car are also usable in the second, and a half of that stuff is usable for every RC car you'll ever buy. It does eventually pay for itself, but it takes a while. It is expensive intially, no denying it.
Old 08-07-2012, 10:35 AM
FahrtAutoRC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's what my buddy thought. Now he owns a summit and is coming to me almost every day for help haha

What is motor KV, what's a C rating, what is 2s1p, on and on and on. I actually found nitro was easier to work on and diagnose, but that might just be me. I seem to be working on the whole town's RC's some days [&:]

Old 08-07-2012, 10:40 AM
echthelion

ORIGINAL: Foxy

It is expensive intially, no denying it.
it painsme so much to say it im 800 into my xs and everything to run atm
Old 08-07-2012, 10:46 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: FahrtAutoRC

That's what my buddy thought. Now he owns a summit and is coming to me almost every day for help haha

What is motor KV, what's a C rating, what is 2s1p, on and on and on. I actually found nitro was easier to work on and diagnose, but that might just be me. I seem to be working on the whole town's RC's some days [&:]

ditto