Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Help with Rustler vxl gearing

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 07:29 PM
darren94

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with Rustler vxl gearing

Hey guys,

I am taking a break from flying for a bit and i just picked up a new rustler vxl and i have some questions about gearing. For the last week, i have been running the stock 25/83 and 28/83 (28 is faster but oddly, it wheelies more with the 28?) with the included 7 cell Nimh stick/hump pack. The car is a ton of fun but, i have noticed the after a i run a entire pack through the car, the traxxas 7 cell hump pack is very hot. Like 150 on the temp gun. Motor and speed control remain in the 100-120 range but the pack is getting very hot. Is this normal? Where should the pack.motor/esc be temp wise after a full run of speed pulls and general bashing around?

Also, tonight i tried using one of my airplane 3s 3000 40-50c lipo packs and holy...wow... its so fast (like uncontrollable, flips during braking, constant wheelies and very hard to drive) But, i am having heat issues again. The battery was 90, the esc was 100 and the motor was 130. is this too hot?

Overall, i guess i am asking three questions.
-What are safe temps i should be shooting for / at what point is hot too hot?
-Are there any tips for driving on 3s to make it more controllable? I mean its very fast but, constant wheelies, flips and overheating make it very hard to operate.
-What gearing to you recommend for the hump pack and good performance + bashing? For good performance + bashing on 3s?

I was going to order 19t and 23t pinions to bring the temps down but, wont that make it wheelie even more while scrubbing top speed and shedding heat? I am looking for the best all around gearing for the stock hump pack and for when i run 3s that wont kill the car.
Old 08-14-2012, 04:47 AM
collector1231
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Help with Rustler vxl gearing

Safe temps are in 80- 130 zone. All the electrics you should be able to put your finger on for 5 seconds without pulling it back and if you can, it's fine.
Slowly press in on the throttle when you are accelerating from a standstill. Let the car coast to a stop, while sparingly applying braking. 
I don't use 7 cells or 3S, i use 2S, so i cannot really help you on that one. Sorry!

Have fun!
Old 08-28-2012, 07:06 PM
Briansshop

I'm new to electric RC, recently picked up a Slash and a Rustler. Only running 3s batts. Both motors run very hot,have seen 230* before. Gearing doesn't seem to much impact on motor temp but higher gearing really runs the batt temp up.
Old 08-29-2012, 08:33 AM
bigcam406

i have found that if you are generally bashing with a 28 tooth pinion,you will create alot of heat.the 28 tooth pinion is basically for speed runs on a flat surface.i have a 23/90 gear combo on mine with Talons on the rear and im using 9.6v nimhs and they get warm when i do laps in the parking lot where i go.when i go bashing offroad,i change the pinion to an 18,keeping the 90tooth spur with the Talons on the rear.it puts less strain on the batteries and electronics if you gear up for general bashing.